IGNORED

Could This Have Caught Del's Attention

chipdawg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15542642.stm

Seems like there's about to be a fire sale at Hearts. Given that Del will now the players in their squad pretty well and Championship teams are likely to be able to out-pay SPL teams in fees and wages, can any of the Scottish contingent give any indication of who might be available and who would be worth signing? I know there've previously been rumours regarding Stevenson, but who else might tickle Dereck's fancy?

Hartley did ok

He did but generally speaking more SPL players don't hack it down here than those that actually do make the standard.

The bottom line is that the standard throughout Scottish Football is poor. The Old Firm always fail in Europe ( when did Celtic last win away from home in Europe?)

I forget where I read it but one sports writer likened the SPL to Division 1 in terms of standard with the exception of the Old Firm.

He did but generally speaking more SPL players don't hack it down here than those that actually do make the standard.

The bottom line is that the standard throughout Scottish Football is poor. The Old Firm always fail in Europe ( when did Celtic last win away from home in Europe?)

I forget where I read it but one sports writer likened the SPL to Division 1 in terms of standard with the exception of the Old Firm.

rangers made the final of the europa league 3 years ago.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15542642.stm

Seems like there's about to be a fire sale at Hearts. Given that Del will now the players in their squad pretty well and Championship teams are likely to be able to out-pay SPL teams in fees and wages, can any of the Scottish contingent give any indication of who might be available and who would be worth signing? I know there've previously been rumours regarding Stevenson, but who else might tickle Dereck's fancy?

Who is the left midfielder/winger? Rudi Scakel or something like that, He always seems to fairly well for Hearts, Having never seen him play I don't know, but from highlights and what appears in the papers he seems a good player. he could be getting on a bit now though

rangers made the final of the europa league 3 years ago.....

This year they failed to get to the first round, Celtic would also have failed if not for the two greatest words in the English language de fault. Let's be honest the Scottish leagues have for the past 30 years been in decline there will always be the odd player who comes down and is successful but on the whole the standards are very poor

This year they failed to get to the first round, Celtic would also have failed if not for the two greatest words in the English language de fault. Let's be honest the Scottish leagues have for the past 30 years been in decline there will always be the odd player who comes down and is successful but on the whole the standards are very poor

point is he said they "always fail in europe" which is wrong

While the Scottish leagues have not the quality nor depth of England, there are players and younger prospects that would improve us.

It's ignorant and frankly fairly idiotic to turn your back to an entire nation of players based on it's overall depth.

yes.gifyes.gifyes.gif Correctemundo!

While the Scottish leagues have not the quality nor depth of England, there are players and younger prospects that would improve us.

It's ignorant and frankly fairly idiotic to turn your back to an entire nation of players based on it's overall depth.

I see what you're saying, but, at the same time there is Wales...

point is he said they "always fail in europe" which is wrong

I was talking the Champions League, not some mickey mouse cup for also rans. facepalm.gif

When was the last time a Scottish club won anything in Europe? 1967. Almost every season an English club reaches the last four of of the Champions League and I can't remember the last time an English club failed to progress from the group stages, it happens so rarely.

Point is Scottish football is of poor quality which means many of their players wouldn't make it in England. The list is endless.

Point is Scottish football is of poor quality which means many of their players wouldn't make it in England. The list is endless.

Maybe playing in a better league, with better quality players may bring out the best in them

I'm not talking about the City and the Championship in particular there, just generally

I was talking the Champions League, not some mickey mouse cup for also rans. facepalm.gif

When was the last time a Scottish club won anything in Europe? 1967. Almost every season an English club reaches the last four of of the Champions League and I can't remember the last time an English club failed to progress from the group stages, it happens so rarely.

I'm sure Scotland would have teams in the later stages of Europe all the time if like the EPL we lived beyond our means, as soon as these new rules re, finance are brought in football will be better for it. Also UEFA's seeding system pretty much gives you a clear run through the groups.

As for Jam tarts players, Templeton, Jonsson, Obua, Kello & Mcgowan are all players i would take

I see what you're saying, but, at the same time there is Wales...

Wales probably have the brightest crop of youngsters coming through in the entire group of home countries imo.

Who is the left midfielder/winger? Rudi Scakel or something like that, He always seems to fairly well for Hearts, Having never seen him play I don't know, but from highlights and what appears in the papers he seems a good player. he could be getting on a bit now though

He's 32 now, so a short term option for someone perhaps. Like you, I've always rated him when I've seen him play on TV, but he didn't exactly set the world on fire when he played for Southampton.

and how many English players were in those english teams?

Archived