IGNORED

Johnson - Mixed Reactions

Tins

Who would you have replaced him with then? Vasko at right back? That would had been good.

There were other options though.

But for me the day that confirmed what was going on was when, following a run of 6 defeats with LJ playing shite every game, then being dropped at home to Plymouth when Hartley came back in and ran the show in a 3-1 win, but then I turned up at Barnsley with LJ back in and Hartley dropped back to the bench. Explained by GJ as the "rotational policy" that no one else knew about.

No sane person after that could have failed to see what was going on.

1320609858' post=1464393']

no never mind yours hes done very well for himself off the back of our club and put very little back in

Put very little back in? Put a darn sight more in and been part of more success than most.

He has done well off the back of our club but so have all of our squad players in the last 10 years - but always he is singled out.

Like what though? Moving elliot to right back made sense, who else could have gone ther.e

Well moving the Championship midfield player of the season - Elliott - as voted by fellow pros, to right back, was one option.

Just one alternative would have been Carey - played hundreds of games at Right back - to Right back. With Vasko - a central defender - to central defence.

I'd be more interested though in anyone coming up with a plausible explanation of GJ's "rotation policy" to get his lad back in at that game at Barnsley.

Put very little back in? Put a darn sight more in and been part of more success than most.

He has done well off the back of our club but so have all of our squad players in the last 10 years - but always he is singled out.

yea theres a reason for that hes a ******* awful player @ this level and struggles at league 1 level , most of the other squad players you refer to didnt get ridiculous contracts being paid 4x what there worth johnson is a conferance player at best and will probaly be playing in it this time nxt year and to be honest i dont care as long as hes gone

1320610064' post=1464397']

If I was Lee Johnson, on 8k a week, knowing I'm not good enough for the championship, but still take wages.

He doesn't need the money, he's made millions from refurbishing houses!

So in his shoes you have worked hard for the last 4 years been a major part of a team that won a promotion and got to a playoff final (all while being paid the going rate, don't get me started on why the going rate is wrong, but it is the going rate) and your customers spend there spare on an internet forum and go out of there way to say your shit and basically everything you have done was worthless.

By your logic all the shit part time landlords that are out there that have watched to much Kirsty and Phil shouldn't ask for a wage because they don't need it.

So in his shoes you have worked hard for the last 4 years been a major part of a team that won a promotion and got to a playoff final (all while being paid the going rate, don't get me started on why the going rate is wrong, but it is the going rate) and your customers spend there spare on an internet forum and go out of there way to say your shit and basically everything you have done was worthless.

By your logic all the shit part time landlords that are out there that have watched to much Kirsty and Phil shouldn't ask for a wage because they don't need it.

I don't get the point you are making?

Where you coming from there?

The acid test will be when the contract his dad gave him comes to an end and next season he is without a club - will you finally accept then he is shit?

1320612094' post=1464419']

It would be a great deal though, getting a player with champions league and international experience in exchange for a player who's wouldn't have had a league career but for his father,

The fact he's played almost 200 games for us is simply criminal.

Ultimately though, Gary Johson has paid the the price for this as possibly cost him the chance of becoming a premier league manager, instead of making the logic and sensible decision, he made sure his boy got a game at wembley by bringing him on for Bradley Orr, (a decision up their with Wilson & lita) it's a decsion I'll never forget and signalled his downturn, since then....Cobblers and propping up league 2.

I found the bit in bold to be fair enough but don't see how you got to the rest of it. Are you saying he shouldn't have been in our team that won promotion or the season we got to the play off final?

Let's not forget that he was a professional footballer at hearts when we signed him so he did have a career as a footballer without Gary being involved and othe pro managers have wanted him as well.

Do you think the reason we lost the playoff final was that LJ was on the pitch? Baring in mind we played him in the middle for the first 3/4 of the season very successfully and he got injured for the last 10 games which coinsided with our form dipping.

1320613685' post=1464438']

yea theres a reason for that hes a ******* awful player @ this level and struggles at league 1 level , most of the other squad players you refer to didnt get ridiculous contracts being paid 4x what there worth johnson is a conferance player at best and will probaly be playing in it this time nxt year and to be honest i dont care as long as hes gone

Most of that is your opinion - I beg to differ.

Didn't lj start off at arsenal? Doubt his dad had much influence getting him in there. You must have something about you to get in to their youth setup.

The abuse he gets here is beyond the pale. A mainstay of our promotion team and playoff team, and he gets slaughtered. Shame on you.

1320608874' post=1464378']

How disrespectfull. Fair enough it's time to move on but I don't believe it would be close to a "best deal ever" never mind your opinion on swapping him for Bas.

Imagen how you would feel if you were in LJs position with his history at the club and you read this thread, or if you were another professional footballer assessing if you wanted to join Bristol city and you read this thread knowing what LJ had helped achieve - it would sure help to put me off.

1320610064' post=1464397']

If I was Lee Johnson, on 8k a week, knowing I'm not good enough for the championship, but still take wages.

He doesn't need the money, he's made millions from refurbishing houses!

1320614015' post=1464441']

1320614323' post=1464446']

I don't get the point you are making?

Where you coming from there?

I asked you to put yourself in his shoes or a player looking to come to this club and see how you would feel reading this thread knowing what LJ had achieved.

If you were looking to join Bristol City and then read this thread knowing that you might be treated like this even if you were a regular first teamer that helped get the club to a play off final would you want to join the club? It would certainly make me think twice.

I found the bit in bold to be fair enough but don't see how you got to the rest of it. Are you saying he shouldn't have been in our team that won promotion or the season we got to the play off final?

Let's not forget that he was a professional footballer at hearts when we signed him so he did have a career as a footballer without Gary being involved and othe pro managers have wanted him as well.

Do you think the reason we lost the playoff final was that LJ was on the pitch? Baring in mind we played him in the middle for the first 3/4 of the season very successfully and he got injured for the last 10 games which coinsided with our form dipping.

Totally agree. Whether he's good enough now as some posters have asked is irrelevant. He was a very good player in both our promotion season and the following near miss on the Prem. I'm not suggesting that he should be recalled and play for us now, as we have moved on, but at least give him credit where it's due. If he hadn't been GJ's son then he would have got a lot less stick, no doubt about that. He's always given his best and never complained about being dropped, etc ... Many other players could learn a lot from him in terms of professionalism. I'm not making him out to be a great player, just that he always was scapegoated here.

1320614388' post=1464447']

The acid test will be when the contract his dad gave him comes to an end and next season he is without a club - will you finally accept then he is shit?

If he drops down to the conference I will accept that something was seriously wrong with him being here. Will anyone change there opinion if he goes to another championship club or as he is getting on a bit (in football terms) league 1?

1320617135' post=1464467']

Totally agree. Whether he's good enough now as some posters have asked is irrelevant. He was a very good player in both our promotion season and the following near miss on the Prem. I'm not suggesting that he should be recalled and play for us now, as we have moved on, but at least give him credit where it's due. If he hadn't been GJ's son then he would have got a lot less stick, no doubt about that. He's always given his best and never complained about being dropped, etc ... Many other players could learn a lot from him in terms of professionalism. I'm not making him out to be a great player, just that he always was scapegoated here.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

My views totally, he was part of a team that got us promoted, you don't get a promotion and then go on to the Championship Play off final by carrying a player "not fit to wear the shirt"

People need to get over it, everyone of those players that we had during that two years deserves our full respect in my opinion.

I knew nothing of LJ before he joined us only that he was a member of a fairly successful Yeovil team and was coming from Hearts, an SPL team. So I assumed he would be half decent.

Was I in for a shock. All he ever offered was a short pass to the nearest player in a direction he was facing. If you call that a fine passer of the ball then I obviously have higher expectations. I cannot think of one other attribute he possessed.

Yes, he was a fixture for a couple of seasons but was that due to his Dad or the manager not having any idea what a decent mdfield, or midfielder, was. Yes he gave his best, but not good enough. No he didn't complain as he must have felt with his level of skill he was very fortunate to be even a proffessional footballer.

I am convinced I could have gone and found a " parks player " and given him a year of proffessional football trainig to bring his fitness levels up to a reasonable standard and he would have developed into a better player with more to offer than LJ.

The SPL and it's players have been derided on here. Let's not forget LJ could not even get in the Hearts squad.

I knew nothing of LJ before he joined us only that he was a member of a fairly successful Yeovil team and was coming from Hearts, an SPL team. So I assumed he would be half decent.

Was I in for a shock. All he ever offered was a short pass to the nearest player in a direction he was facing. If you call that a fine passer of the ball then I obviously have higher expectations. I cannot think of one other attribute he possessed.

Yes, he was a fixture for a couple of seasons but was that due to his Dad or the manager not having any idea what a decent mdfield, or midfielder, was. Yes he gave his best, but not good enough. No he didn't complain as he must have felt with his level of skill he was very fortunate to be even a proffessional footballer.

I am convinced I could have gone and found a " parks player " and given him a year of proffessional football trainig to bring his fitness levels up to a reasonable standard and he would have developed into a better player with more to offer than LJ.

The SPL and it's players have been derided on here. Let's not forget LJ could not even get in the Hearts squad.

Yet, he was a mainstay in our promotion team and play-off final team. The rest of the players must have been immense to carry him for those 2 seasons.

1320624249' post=1464513']

Lee's a reasonable player but his defensive frailty is such that it makes JCR look like Norman Hunter. I can't see - realistically - that we will need him back at the club.

I don't think anyone is arguing that we need him back at the club, just that respect should be given for a player that was a mainstay in our most successfull team in the last 20 years.

1320613685' post=1464438']

He is not a "******* awful player" as you so nicely put it, are you saying the rest of the team carried him for the 2 years while we were getting promoted and getting to the playoff final?

I'm sure he will be fine at league 1 level - he maybe suffering now but he is in a team that isn't doing very well. As so many on here wrote 3 weeks ago - we could have had messi in the middle for us and it wouldnt have made much difference - thank god that's changed.

All players get ridiculous contracts and LJ was a big part of our first team when that contract was offered. GJ didn't deal with contacts, thats the job of senior management so its likely CS and SL negotiated the contact with him not GJ.

I hope that clears up some of your opinions that I don't agree with and why I don't agree with them.

Oh Dear !!!

Not LJ again.

He was adequate in league 1 and less than adequate in the Championship, Every player reaches his level !

The term " very good" is done to death. Get over it , LJ was never very good for BCFC.

When played in a 5 man midfield he did perform better, however, Elliot carried him for several seasons.......ask Elliot.!

When LJ is finally off our books, it will be a financial load off our backs. He should never have been on our wage bill.

That is all !

Rednready.

Never in the field of Ashton Gate has one small midfielder been talked about by so many for so long. Why?

I saw him have good games and I saw him have shockers.

His tackling could be poor and he often gave the ball away through misjudged passes in very diodgy areas. But he had good vision and sometimes was the only player on the pitch who could create a goal scoring opp out of nothing.

I think he is the sort of player who divides opinion at the best of times, but when he got left in after poor performances the whole nepotism thing (rightly) came to the fore.

When he returned after loan- I thought he played well and was actually dropped at a time when he shouldnt have been. All in all I think he has been a better servant for the team than many others - but he was tarnished by nepotism - which i believe was real not imagined. Still it must have been a difficult situation for him.

If he hadn't been GJ's son then he would have got a lot less stick, no doubt about that.

Would have also got a lot less games.

If he drops down to the conference I will accept that something was seriously wrong with him being here. Will anyone change there opinion if he goes to another championship club or as he is getting on a bit (in football terms) league 1?

Yes. When his dad was here, some suggested he would walk into any other Championship team. Most others myself included said he'd struggle to find a club at all. As predicted he hasnt found a Championship club and if the Chesterfield fans views are anything to go by he isnt rated at League One. We are probably paying the majority of his wages so for Chesterfield to take a player with 200 or whatever championship appearances probably seemed a good deal to them. Johnson looks like a decent player for a few games based on his short passing until you realise he doesnt actually contribute anything in terms of end product. For that reason I predict he will not remain a regular at Chesterfield or anywhere else.

Wow.

That must have taken some time.

Sad prat.

Having read the thread, it probably took less than 5 minutes to cut and paste. I even included the couple of positive comments for balance.

You, on the other hand, your only contribution to a thread is an abusive comment. Well done.

Indeed. This is the same person who claimed to know NOTHING about Ashton Vale as they were "too busy" yet seem able to find the time to dig up anything possible about Lee Johnson.

Utter stroker

And your view on the issue being debated is what exactly?

What for example did you think about the rotation policy?

Or maybe you can explain why a discussion about a Bristol City player is not worthy of debate on a Bristol City forum?

Or perhaps you can justify why you feel the need to monitor which discussions I choose to respond to?

The interesting thing about your reply is that, I would imagine, you wouldnt dream of saying it if we were having a face to face discussion.

Lets look at this objectively.

Whilst here he was never going to be given a chance by our supporters.

He went to Derby, pressure off, did fairly well.

He's now at chesterfield, with pressure off, at a lower level, in his prime..... he should to be too good for that division.....

But it would seem he is not having the best of times - that, sadly, says it all. This was his big chance to prove everyone wrong and he's not.

Whatever happens though, I will remember him though as a decent player during our best period, in my time as a city fan :city:

I don't think anyone is arguing that we need him back at the club, just that respect should be given for a player that was a mainstay in our most successfull team in the last 20 years.

In that case, I agree with you Pezo. He played some very important games and featured heavily in our most successful season of recent years. Respect for that.

Archived