IGNORED

Johnson - Mixed Reactions

Tins

LJ is a limited player who moves the ball, tries hard and makes himself available.

He adds little else though, his set pieces are ineffective and he has to be carried defensively.

He was good in league one and did well in our first season at this level.

Since then he's been poor and he shouldn't have been given his last contract.

He's always been professional and he wasn't the one who offered the contract or picked the team, so good luck to him in the future.

Lee did well in helping us get promotion and again in getting us to the play off final.

after that his form tailed off the following season so for the 2009-10 season GJ brought in Hartley who was a far superior player. this was reflected in the fact Hartley started in twice as many games as Lee during that season

Lee was not awful. he was part of a very successfull period in the clubs history. We have now moved on and he will leave in the summer with my thanks for his contribution to the success this club has enjoyed in recent years.

Lee Johnson. Average footballer of Div 1 standard whose career was significantly enhanced by his dad. As soon as his father left AG Lee was taken off the team sheet and never got back on.

In years to come he'll look back at his property empire with more pride than his football career.

Indeed. He's obsessed.

Riaz..

I read your previous post which for the most part was fair, and was about to offer you the title of The Sage; The Voice of Reason.

And then you spoil it with that.

There are very few topics on here I find of the slightest interest. The Johnson one is always a good one though as it has been a unique situation and stirs up so many emotions, and conspiracy theories, and "I was right" and people jumping to his defence and so on, and it will be interesting to see how his career develops away from City next summer, or not, as the case may be.

I just find all that a bit more interesting than the "guess the attendance" or the "lets all have a go at red trousers" or the "isnt James/Skuse/Stewart/Hunt crap", threads.

Of course, I could just respond to just about every thread going, as some appear to. Would that make me less or more obssessed?

Riaz..

I read your previous post which for the most part was fair, and was about to offer you the title of The Sage; The Voice of Reason.

And then you spoil it with that.

There are very few topics on here I find of the slightest interest. The Johnson one is always a good one though as it has been a unique situation and stirs up so many emotions, and conspiracy theories, and "I was right" and people jumping to his defence and so on, and it will be interesting to see how his career develops away from City next summer, or not, as the case may be.

I just find all that a bit more interesting than the "guess the attendance" or the "lets all have a go at red trousers" or the "isnt James/Skuse/Stewart/Hunt crap", threads.

Of course, I could just respond to just about every thread going, as some appear to. Would that make me less or more obssessed?

Well whatever floats your boat. But surely the "LJ is crap threads" the same as "isnt James/Skuse/Stewart/Hunt crap" threads?

Personally I gave up caring when he became obvious he had no future here. His current loan spell is just the final nail in the coffin - I doubt he'll ever play for us again so, well done NickJ, you and many others were right that he isnt good enough....

Though he did do brilliantly in the 2007/2008 - no one sane, can deny that.

Hopefully him and macca (who also for some reason got a undeserved new contract at the same time) will be gone in the summer.

Well whatever floats your boat. But surely the "LJ is crap threads" the same as "isnt James/Skuse/Stewart/Hunt crap" threads?

Personally I gave up caring when he became obvious he had no future here. His current loan spell is just the final nail in the coffin - I doubt he'll ever play for us again so, well done NickJ, you and many others were right that he isnt good enough....

Though he did do brilliantly in the 2007/2008 - no one sane, can deny that.

Hopefully him and macca (who also for some reason got a undeserved new contract at the same time) will be gone in the summer.

OK I take it back you have my vote for the forum Voice of Reason.

I never get involved in the attacks on other players because I dont think as fans we should. Thats obviously a bit of a contradiction to posts about Johnson, however as said I think thats a unique sitution, involving not just opinions on his quality as a player, that hopefully will never happen again.

OK I take it back you have my vote for the forum Voice of Reason.

I never get involved in the attacks on other players because I dont think as fans we should. Thats obviously a bit of a contradiction to posts about Johnson, however as said I think thats a unique sitution, involving not just opinions on his quality as a player, that hopefully will never happen again.

Dont let Robbo hear you say that :laughcont:

Lee Johnson. Average footballer of Div 1 standard whose career was significantly enhanced by his dad. As soon as his father left AG Lee was taken off the team sheet and never got back on.

In years to come he'll look back at his property empire with more pride than his football career.

Think this pretty well sums up LJ.

IMO I never rated him mainly because I didn't think there was enough to his game. No pace, no tricks, very few tackles, slow tracking back, too many sideways or backwards passes, too many poor flicks giving the ball away, not physical enough, heading poor.

Given time by stronger players around him he could see a good pass and did score now and then. He could also collect from the defender and keep the play moving. But these attributes were never enough and I remain convinced that he would not have figured in the team as much as he did without his Dad being in charge.

But that's my opinion of him as a player. I have no animosity towards him as a person. He always seemed to try his best, and it cannot have been easy as the manager's son as results dipped and more and more critism was levelled at his father.

I don't want him back here but would wish him good luck for the future.

I don't see how he can be so bad when he played the vast majority of our games when we got to the play offs.

If l remember correctly, he got injured and we dropped like a stone out of the top two. We had a great chance of automatic promotion.

Is this all a coincidence?

and add to that the turnaround in results/fortune last season when lj was recalled after 11 winless games

just getting tinhat on

Still a long time and I "probably" think you're lying.

There are about 10 positive comments, which makes you look even sadder.

Hi there Mr Johnson, haven't heard from you for a long time. Guess you've got a bit of time on your hands.

If you include the qualified positives such as "Johnson a nice player when the going is good" and "Johnson played better" you may be close however I think in the main the view of the Chesterfield fans wasquite damning and a lot worse even than on here.

I'm assuming that the resort to abusive comments is because you've got nothing left.

Not rated by chesterfield fans

the only player not too be recalled to city following McInnes joining city

Only regualary played by one manager in his entire career,

.....says EVERYTHING

think he needs his father to save his career for a 3rd time

This is one of the key points for me.

Anyway this discussion has circulated on numerous occasions, his career with us is over and I'd be amazed if he ever finds himself playing in the Championship again.

If LJ didnt get injured in our play off season we would of got promoted to the premier league, look at the stats and results after he was no longer in the team

If only life was that simplistic.

With all due respect you've put two and two together and come to your own conclusion. You can not prove with LJ in the side the results would of been any different.

Pure Speculation my friend.

The play off season is used as a barometer to how good players are/were and I can understand that but the main reasons for that succesful season where the team spirit and the momentum from the previous year, if you look at the individual players only 1 has played in the premier league since, none of the other players have kicked on and proved that they are good enough for the highest level, some arnt good even for the champioship. Together at the time they made a good effective team, collectively they were championship standard, individually most were not.

Adriano Basso - Year or more in the wilderness, now back in Championship

Bradley Orr - Premier League

Louis Carey - Age against him, probably shouldn't have been given a new deal this year

Liam Fontaine - Championship standard

Jamie McAllister - Some would say he has never been championship standard!

David Noble - Drinking his way around the south coast

Marvin Elliott - Championship standard

Nick Carle - In the Aussie league (i think)

Michael McIndoe - Star man in his own mind

Dele Adebola - Bradford on loan?

Lee Trundle - Welsh League

The play off season is used as a barometer to how good players are/were and I can understand that but the main reasons for that succesful season where the team spirit and the momentum from the previous year, if you look at the individual players only 1 has played in the premier league since, none of the other players have kicked on and proved that they are good enough for the highest level, some arnt good even for the champioship. Together at the time they made a good effective team, collectively they were championship standard, individually most were not.

Adriano Basso - Year or more in the wilderness, now back in Championship

Bradley Orr - Premier League

Louis Carey - Age against him, probably shouldn't have been given a new deal this year

Liam Fontaine - Championship standard

Jamie McAllister - Some would say he has never been championship standard!

David Noble - Drinking his way around the south coast

Marvin Elliott - Championship standard

Nick Carle - In the Aussie league (i think)

Michael McIndoe - Star man in his own mind

Dele Adebola - Bradford on loan?

Lee Trundle - Welsh League

You forgot our top scorer, who i believe is also kicking around the lower League, and Big Enoch who is also kicking around the lower leagues

Well the playoff season was 4 years ago. So what if they are no longer playing at championship level. Biggest factor was team spirit in that squad. LJ could be playing for the gas now but he was still a key member of that squad just like Trundle, Noble etc...No longer what we need though.

Exactly, and alot of them are a long way past the wrong side of 30.

I think we have technically better players now, maybe not such a good team.. Hopefully Del can rectify that and get them playing for one another as GJ did

If only life was that simplistic.

With all due respect you've put two and two together and come to your own conclusion. You can not prove with LJ in the side the results would of been any different.

Pure Speculation my friend.

Watching the games it was obvious we missed little Lee. He would take the ball of the defence and keep possession and give it to the better players - he gets lambasted for that, but without him we struggled to keep the ball.

Away at stoke in particular, I can remember our back four constantly lumping the ball aimlessly forward - when usually they would give the ball to little lee.

We did miss him when he got injured, because we struggled to keep the ball

Hi there Mr Johnson, haven't heard from you for a long time. Guess you've got a bit of time on your hands.

Is this meant to be funny or are you just delusional?

You're the one spending your days character assassinating a guy who probably won't play for us again...

If you include the qualified positives such as "Johnson a nice player when the going is good" and "Johnson played better" you may be close however I think in the main the view of the Chesterfield fans wasquite damning and a lot worse even than on here.

Oh your list has doubled in size. Well that would almost lead one to conclude that you don't have a bizarre and massive chip on your shoulder about a guy the rest of us have almost forgotten about.

I notice Yesterday Johnson had one of his better games, especially the quick ball out of defence under pressure that led to our second goal, about the only time in the entire game we went forward with pace still hasn't made that list.

I'm assuming that the resort to abusive comments is because you've got nothing left.

Again, funny or just funny in the head?

Is this meant to be funny or are you just delusional?

You're the one spending your days character assassinating a guy who probably won't play for us again...

Oh your list has doubled in size. Well that would almost lead one to conclude that you don't have a bizarre and massive chip on your shoulder about a guy the rest of us have almost forgotten about.

I notice Yesterday Johnson had one of his better games, especially the quick ball out of defence under pressure that led to our second goal, about the only time in the entire game we went forward with pace still hasn't made that list.

Again, funny or just funny in the head?

Wrong on so many counts.

No chip, just replies to a thread on which I have opinion. Dont know why it offends you so much. Plenty of others on this thread have said Johnson is crap, you could reply to them or keep stalking me. Im not bothered, it just amuses me that you can aim the word "sad" in my direction.

A sentence beginning "Johnson had one of his better games" reads to me as "usually poor" but you will have your own interpretation.

You've obviously read the thread in minute detail yet insult me for doing so.

Having a view that LJ is a poor footballer at this level is not, in fact, a character assassination. I have indeed stated in the past that he seems a nice enough lad. This thread would indicate that he is not, as you suggest forgotten, least of all by you.

You can either let it lie there or make yourself look foolish again with another stream of insults backed up by nothing. Except of course most people on here dont know who you are. If not Mr Johnson Mr Who?

I just think it's sad that a player who was part of a succesful period in our history , is still getting crap thrown in his direction. He is unlikely to have any part of our future , lets' thank him for his efforts and move on with Del.

It's even more staggering that his old man is gettig the same treatment considering he has already left the club. I guess both Mr Johnson's must have had something about them , otherwise they would have been forgotten about by now.

Lets move on peeps , onwards and upwards under D Mc.

Watching the games it was obvious we missed little Lee. He would take the ball of the defence and keep possession and give it to the better players - he gets lambasted for that, but without him we struggled to keep the ball.

Away at stoke in particular, I can remember our back four constantly lumping the ball aimlessly forward - when usually they would give the ball to little lee.

We did miss him when he got injured, because we struggled to keep the ball

myth

We were playing badly when he was still in team, he got injured, we still played badly, he got fit and came back into the team, we were still playing badly (Southampton away was one of the worst performances of the season LJ played in that game) he got injured we were still playing badly, it wasn't until half Time when we ended up with a midfield of McIndoe, Carle, Marv, Noble that performances turned from then until Orr's injury at wembley were playing alot better.

Though in reality, the wheels fell off at Xmas.

myth

We were playing badly when he was still in team, he got injured, we still played badly, he got fit and came back into the team, we were still playing badly (Southampton away was one of the worst performances of the season LJ played in that game) he got injured we were still playing badly, it wasn't until half Time when we ended up with a midfield of McIndoe, Carle, Marv, Noble that performances turned from then until Orr's injury at wembley were playing alot better.

Though in reality, the wheels fell off at Xmas.

Its not a myth at all. If you watched the games at the time - the link between defence and the midfield/attack was non existent.

It was when our defenders started lumping the ball up the field.... Boom McCombe, constantly booming the ball constantly for a goal kick!

we struggled to retain possesion once LJ got injured

Its not a myth at all. If you watched the games at the time - the link between defence and the midfield/attack was non existent.

It was when our defenders started lumping the ball up the field.... Boom McCombe, constantly booming the ball constantly for a goal kick!

we struggled to retain possesion once LJ got injured

The link from defence to midfield/attack was broken from January, co-incidence that we signed a 6ft5 lump at that time? I don't think so.

Whereas prior to January we were retaining the ball well in the final third with particularly when we played Noble, afterwards we resorted to lots of chips forwards (LJ did more than his share of this) and retained little possession.

Archived