IGNORED

Skuuuuuse

Steve Watts

Was thinking the other day about Skuse at right back. He does seem to be getting more and more comfortable at right back and seemed right at home there on Saturday. Two of his tackles were as important as the goals we scored on Saturday and for me wasn't far behind Kilkenny for my man of the match.

We've seen with Bradders before a defensive midfield make the transformation to seasoned right back and feel that we could be seeing the same again here. Like Bradley he has a great engine on him and his midfield roots mean that he's able to get up and support Uncle Albert well also, as shown on Saturday.

He's had his knockers on here, but I really think we could be starting to see a brand new Cole Skuuuuuse emerging here.

Any thoughts?

Was thinking the other day about Skuse at right back. He does seem to be getting more and more comfortable at right back and seemed right at home there on Saturday. Two of his tackles were as important as the goals we scored on Saturday and for me wasn't far behind Kilkenny for my man of the match.

We've seen with Bradders before a defensive midfield make the transformation to seasoned right back and feel that we could be seeing the same again here. Like Bradley he has a great engine on him and his midfield roots mean that he's able to get up and support Uncle Albert well also, as shown on Saturday.

He's had his knockers on here, but I really think we could be starting to see a brand new Cole Skuuuuuse emerging here.

Any thoughts?

Emerging????

Skuse has always been a class act imo but that's gone largely unappreciated my some on here. He's versatile, reliable and probably best suited to a defensive role although he's a decent midfielder as well. What many don't realise is how quick he is. He was second quickest behind Ivan last season.

Its no surprise that he's been a first team choice with City's last 5 managers. One of the few things Coppell did was give Skuse a new contract. He's a very good player with a terrific attitude and still only 25.

I'm a great fan of his.

Can't question the lads attitude or desire to give 100% but against better players he will always get exposed as he lacks any genuine quality.

Alright for now as a stop gap but we'll need a professional RB long term.

Wasn't he lining up against Ross Wallace? I don't think anyone is saying Skuse is a future England cap, but he'll not line up against many better wingers at this level

Was my MOM at right back against Cardiff last season. He had the pace to nutralise Bellamy, which is saying something. Definitely a right back or def mid. as he lacks the creativity for further up the park. I feel more confident with Skuse at right back than any other current squad member. Orr did the same switch from midfield to right back and that worked. Like Orr he will need to work on his crossing.

Got to be hard for someone to switch positions, and learn another one and there are bound to be teething problems while he adjusts his game. Fair play to him, he has done it without moaning and carries on doing a professional job for his club, very under-rated player....

Skuse has played at right back previously several times. Its not a completely new position for him. As I've said before he's versatile and could play anywhere without finding it difficult. He's a natural footballer. Quick feet, pacy, positionally astute, great tackler with a fantastic attitude.

Anyone who can't see how much he brings to the squad doesn't know a good player when they see one.

Was brilliant on saturday, is very quick and saved fonts/lewin on 2 occasion due to pace and tackling ability. Im not a fan of his in midfield but looks ideal at RB as he adds some pace to our back line. I was also impressed that he looked to release Albert/Yala whenever possible down the wing.

Believe he is the most under rated player we've got. Fail to see how so many seem to knock him. As been said he is very quick - ideal against pacey wingers, has a great footballing brain who reads the game well as can be seen by his goal saving tackle in the second half. He is also genuinely two footed comfortable on either peg ang never pulls out of a tackle often laying his body on the line. I thought when he first moved to RB he sometimes showed his naevity by finding himself at times the wrong side of the attacker but he has learned and developed and as can be seen on Saturday against an excellenger winger he is now an accomplished RB.

I have to say i have never rated Skuse and have never thought he was good enough, but the last few weeks i am beginning to change my mind, Personally i think his performances at Right Back have been great and he has given us some stability in that position and hope he stays there and makes the position his own.

The biggest factor for me is that he is a intelligent footballer who stays on his feet. You won't often see skuse go to ground like some of our less football intelligent players.

This for me marks him above most in our team defensively, if you stay on your feet and have pace you always have a chance of making up for a mistake.

For me skuse would always be the first player on the team sheet, be it in defence or midfield.

Skuse was my MOM against cardiff last season. He is very good against pace - and neutralised Bellamy very effectively that day. Its all very well talking about creativity, but if the team are letting in 2 or 3 goals a game - you are going to lose a lot of points. I would always favour a defensive full back over a wing back type - especially when the team have big forwards. We have stopped shipping goals and that is the basis of our recent upturn, along with the attacking players finding more confidence. Its not like Spence was creating goal ops or anything and he wasnt defending well enough. Skuse fits the bill for the sort of full back we need at the moment.

Skuse has played at right back previously several times. Its not a completely new position for him. As I've said before he's versatile and could play anywhere without finding it difficult. He's a natural footballer. Quick feet, pacy, positionally astute, great tackler with a fantastic attitude.

Anyone who can't see how much he brings to the squad doesn't know a good player when they see one.

He has played there before, but only as a stop gap when needed... Cole is a fantastic player IMO and has got one hell of an engine on him, he will work all day for the team...

Any thoughts?

Surely that should be saved for the team calender? :whistle2:

One minute he's the worst player ever, next minute he's the best thing since sliced bread!!

In reality, he's a good player, always has been, but has played poorly at times....

He like many players, is playing better under a new manager.

The biggest factor for me is that he is a intelligent footballer who stays on his feet. You won't often see skuse go to ground like some of our less football intelligent players.

This for me marks him above most in our team defensively, if you stay on your feet and have pace you always have a chance of making up for a mistake.

For me skuse would always be the first player on the team sheet, be it in defence or midfield.

Sorry don't agree with this, he worries me sometimes not how he tackles but when he tackles, if he is covering last man, you just see skuse come sliding in which is dangerous because 1. if he miss times the tackle, its red! and 2. if he's gone to ground and the striker is gone, the time he gets back on his feet, he's scored. Ovcourse its brilliant to see a sliding tackle but he needs to stay on his feet at crucial positions.

No-one ever said he was the best thing since sliced bread, he's just the best RB we've got at the moment and is likely to improve further if Del boy keeps playing him there. His poor performances have come in midfield, when he's been played alongside Marv. They are too similar and both struggle to do effective link up play. As a RB he is far better and I like defenders who defend, not wannabe wingers who require a defensive midfielder midfield to bail them out when they get caught up field.

Skuse was fantastic on Saturday. He's never really been given a settled position, but one thing you'll always get out of him is 120% effort. Skuse will know doubt become a City legend**

He also owes me £40. He was so nice to my nephew on Sunday that he's now obsession with Mr Skuse and I've had to order him a shirt with Skuse on the back :chant6ez:

Archived