IGNORED

The Honeymoon Period

mozo

I'm not saying that managing with an iron fist didn't work. It did for two season's but like everything one dimensional the effect wore off and with no plan B the plot was lost. Looks like the same thing is happening at Northampton just as it did at Posh.

L E T

G O

M O V E

O N

G E T

O N

W I T H

T H E

R E S T

O F

Y O U R

L I F E

Under Wilson the players respected him and wanted to play for him. Like McInnes, Wilson had a successful playing career. Under Johnson who achieved nothing as a player, the players were motivated by fear and look how long that lasted. Two season's.

Yep they respected Wilson so much because it was drinking club where if you got so pissed 4 days before the first league match of the season and fell off your bar stool injuring yourself and missing the first 6 weeks of the season, nobody gave a ****. His teams were never fit enough as a consequence of that drinking club.

I'm not saying that managing with an iron fist didn't work. It did for two season's but like everything one dimensional the effect wore off and with no plan B the plot was lost. Looks like the same thing is happening at Northampton just as it did at Posh.

2 seasons?

2005-6 got us off the bottom of league 1 to a shout of promotion

2006-7 promotion

2007-8 championship play off final

2008-9 championship top 10 finish

I make that 4 seasons. As for Wlison. The players didnt respect him they just liked playing for a manager who let them do what the **** they liked.

but then you dont actually think DW was the better manager do you? That would make you an idiot with a vendetta and we all know your a sage

I can assure you that GJ was manager when we went to Brentford. I saw him get off the team coach. I don't know how much influence he had but he was defiantly our boss.

I think it will be interesting to see our reaction when we do lose a couple on the trot. One things for sure, Millwall will be up for it so if we let our game slip they will be quick to take advantage

I can assure you that GJ was manager when we went to Brentford. I saw him get off the team coach. I don't know how much influence he had but he was defiantly our boss.

I think it will be interesting to see our reaction when we do lose a couple on the trot. One things for sure, Millwall will be up for it so if we let our game slip they will be quick to take advantage

He was. The City players were warming up in the centre circle area with all the City fans behind the open end goal and Johnson made them all come down our end and applaud us. That impressed me. City won the game 2-3.

Do you think that City will lose a couple on the trot under McInnes?............................can't see it myself...........whistle.gif

Interesting post.

My view is that McInnes has several already noticeable facets to his style and character that are different to Johnson. He seems a lot more low-key in what he says, and regularly apportions praise onto his players. I loved Gary when he was here, but I feel that he was a bit one-dimensional in his management - great motivator and great at getting his team organised, but he never really seemed to have a plan B.

From the game I watched at West Ham, and what I've heard about the Burnley and Barnsley games, it seems McInnes is a tactically astute guy. He got his team setup absolutely spot on at Upton Park, and all the stuff I'm hearing about movement off the ball against Burnley is music to my ears. He seems able to adapt his approach to different games and different opposition, which is very, very encouraging. He seems to have got some players out of their shells already, and tactical tweaks like pushing Kilkenny forward, and playing two proper wingers to give the team balance is making a huge difference.

Every interview I've listened to with Del has given me confidence in what he's doing - talking about areas to strengthen the team, focusing on game by game, rather than outlandish statements, taking everything bit by bit. He makes the game sound simple and exudes calmness and intelligence - I have no doubt this is rubbing off on his players.

I feel that if we lose a couple, he has the capability to address problems quickly, and adapt his team accordingly. I don't think this a honeymoon period - instead everything I hear about Del and what I've seen on the pitch and from highlights suggests that this guy might just be the real deal.

Spot on, the first home game i noticed a difference.

During the first half warm up, both he and his assistant was on the pitch.

David James had TWO people fireing balls at PACE towards him.

The warm up six a side game was interupted very often, and individual players were coached.

When did that ever happen under Wilson,Johnson and Millan.

completely agree.

how anyone can forget or deny the feelgood factor around the club when we had GJ doing funny interviews and the players playing with smiles on their faces is beyond me.

remember the atmosphere in the east end during that time with the bouncing etc and the Basso chants and always believe. GJ instilled that in the club and while it went wrong in the end none of us should ever forget how lucky we were to be a part of it. We went a year with no club doing the double over us not because we had the best team but because we had confidence on the pitch and in the stands and nobody beat us twice. It was a great time.

I hope DM can do the same for us and the early signs are good. We've seen already that with confidence and momentum this club is almost unstoppable.

Yes. Think DM can make it. Most of our players are good and I think DM has put a good spirit in City.

Under Wilson the players respected him and wanted to play for him. Like McInnes, Wilson had a successful playing career. Under Johnson who achieved nothing as a player, the players were motivated by fear and look how long that lasted. Two season's.

WOW GJ still gnawing at your soul after all this time. For god sakes give the GJ thing a rest, its pitifull to read.

WOW GJ still gnawing at your soul after all this time. For god sakes give the GJ thing a rest, its pitifull to read.

I agree with that Red Rag.

Much as I (generally) agree with Robbored's post match (and tactics) analysis, if I see another post from him about GJ - I am seriously thinking about leaving this forum.

Give us a break RR. Time to move on.

It's over. This is the era of Mcinnes. Let's focus on that now please.

2 seasons?

2005-6 got us off the bottom of league 1 to a shout of promotion

2006-7 promotion

2007-8 championship play off final

2008-9 championship top 10 finish

I make that 4 seasons. As for Wlison. The players didnt respect him they just liked playing for a manager who let them do what the **** they liked.

but then you dont actually think DW was the better manager do you? That would make you an idiot with a vendetta and we all know your a sage

Totally agree. Had pretty much 4 decent seasons with us yet somehow RR makes it 2...Madness.

Apologies people, my fault for mentioning Gary Johnson in the first place. We do tend to get embroiled in this vipers nest. Having said that, the comparison is interesting because at both points in history the new gaffer has had to haul a doomed team out of the mire, and as Robbered astutely points out, their methods have been different. You could argue though that the hitherto pampered Johnson team needed a rocket up their backside.

Only time will tell whether the current crop are in need of a kick up the batty or not. I really hope they are capable of maintaining the recent form without the need for tough love.

I'd venture to day it's too soon to say. Millwall will be a good test...

Archived