IGNORED

The Honeymoon Period

mozo

We all know it exists. The Honeymoon Period is common in football. As soon as a manager is appointed by a struggling team, nire often than not there us a sudden change in fortunes for the club and for 2-6 games the players are rejuvenated showing all the passion, desire and commitment that would have saved te previous manager his job.

The revival seldom lasts though, and having hauled themselves back into contention, they then slip back into old habits and revert to type, as the inevitable struggle returns.

A complex example is that of Gary Johnson. Considered somewhat a gamble, he put us all at ease with three wins from his first four games. Complacency appeared to have been replaced by courage. Then, as explosive arguments raged in the shadows of the changing room, City embarked on a record run of defeats that left season ticket holders gibbering in the throes of madness.

Of course, Johnson survived and ultimately conquered where many other newly appointed gaffers don't. Is the Forest revival over already?

You what the Burnley fans would have been muttering prior to our impressive win... They would have been well aware that we had a new boss, and that it was a bad time to play the bottom club.

Just like the newly married man on his romantic holiday, we are being thoroughy pleasured. But will it continue beyond this initial period of heightened senses?

Are there any clues to our imminent fate?

Theyre playing for their long term future at the club. Can see no problem in maintaining commitment until safety is achieved and playoffs are well and gone.

Next season 10 games in will be key. Get off to a flyer and the carrott is their for good performnces. Struggle then we may see heads drop from players already here. The new boys he brings in im sure will give it their all no matter what for atleast half of next season. Again if we are up there then it will continue, if not then hopefully mcinnes can still keep them motivated.

We all know it exists. The Honeymoon Period is common in football. As soon as a manager is appointed by a struggling team, nire often than not there us a sudden change in fortunes for the club and for 2-6 games the players are rejuvenated showing all the passion, desire and commitment that would have saved te previous manager his job.

The revival seldom lasts though, and having hauled themselves back into contention, they then slip back into old habits and revert to type, as the inevitable struggle returns.

A complex example is that of Gary Johnson. Considered somewhat a gamble, he put us all at ease with three wins from his first four games. Complacency appeared to have been replaced by courage. Then, as explosive arguments raged in the shadows of the changing room, City embarked on a record run of defeats that left season ticket holders gibbering in the throes of madness.

Of course, Johnson survived and ultimately conquered where many other newly appointed gaffers don't. Is the Forest revival over already?

You what the Burnley fans would have been muttering prior to our impressive win... They would have been well aware that we had a new boss, and that it was a bad time to play the bottom club.

Just like the newly married man on his romantic holiday, we are being thoroughy pleasured. But will it continue beyond this initial period of heightened senses?

Very eloquently put.

The difference I see between Johnson's start was that it didn't take long for the players to see through Johnson and that led to the conflict within the dressing room and the initial desire to play for the new manager was quickly lost. From what I see so far from McInnes's interviews is that he's a players manager, honest and fair and prepared to listen to what his players are saying. I can't imagine the ''my way or the highway'' method of management is in McInnes's protocol manual.

Will the players desire to play for him fade when they become familiar with him and his style? Maybe, but I doubt it somehow. When a man like David James who has seen plenty of managers over his long career says he's impressed my McInnes then that's significant statement imo.

In just 4 games McInnes has instilled a level of confidence in the players that we haven't seen since the days of Danny Wilson and I'm hopeful that will continue.

McInnes seems very gifted and he'll be head hunted in a similar way to David Moyes was when at Preston. That's a real shame from City's perspective. We have to enjoy it whist we can.

For me the honeymoon period refers more to the patience of the fans and media with a new manager than it does the results.

McInnes has started very well, has got performances and results out of the players and conducted himself well in the press. The confidence is there as is the organisation and style of football.

If we were to have a bad run of form that would obviously make people less optimistic but I see no reason to expect that at the moment.

Roy Keane took Sunderland from near bottom of the table to the Premier League, because he had a good squad that could keep up with ambition.

There will obviously be further set backs this season, we're not going to go unbeaten the rest of the season but its about an overall seasons play not just about one good run.

DM did the business with St. Johnstone and you could argue that his honeymoon period there never ended.

In just 4 games McInnes has instilled a level of confidence in the players that we haven't seen since the days of Danny Wilson and I'm hopeful that will continue.

just thought I'd highlight the blatant lie in your post in case you thought youd got away with it

just thought I'd highlight the blatant lie in your post in case you thought youd got away with it

You need to stop your stalking, I think It's becoming a problem for you. Let it go, you seem to want to hijacked every thread that rr posts in. I'm losing count the amount of threads you have ruined with your inane stalking and bickering.

I've had my say, now back to the thread.

You need to stop your stalking, I think It's becoming a problem for you. Let it go, you seem to want to hijacked every thread that rr posts in. I'm losing count the amount of threads you have ruined with your inane stalking and bickering.

I'll post what I like thanks. if he wants to carry on posting lies I'll carry on pointing them out.

Our honeymoon period could come to an abrupt end with this enforced international break, this is where we see the true effect o dc in the short term, can he really galvanise this squad into his way of thinking, and get a good understanding of his tactics and formations during this break.

Should be interesting to see if the good form continues, I hope so, but I really hope we can see tactics developing from a lot of free time on the training ground. I hold my hands up, he has pulled a masterstroke pushing killa further up field. I'm still not fully convinced by him, but he looks like he can affect a game much better in this position.

SC_Red does have a point though. I dont think we were lacking in confidence during our promotion season and our run to the play off's under GJ.

As for DMc's honeymoon period , as Nibor said , the patience of fans is imperative. Even when we lose a game , as long as we are trying to play the right way and the fans keep backing the team and manager , the sky's the limit.

I think GJ did brilliantly to make his motivational style of management work for so long. Seeing posters up on the changing room wall with sounbites on can only work for so long without a plan B.

Del and Doc I feel have many plans for many styles against many teams up there sleeves.

SC_Red does have a point though. I dont think we were lacking in confidence during our promotion season and our run to the play off's under GJ.

As for DMc's honeymoon period , as Nibor said , the patience of fans is imperative. Even when we lose a game , as long as we are trying to play the right way and the fans keep backing the team and manager , the sky's the limit.

I don't dispute that. Confidence and determination were the backbone of johnson's teams. They had to be because for most of his tenure, the football wasn't great to watch, and some tactics were dubious. But the will to win took us a long way in our promotion and playoff season. That was in no small part due to the mental factor Johnson looked for in his players during interview, which seemed from the outside to overrule the talent side of the player.

I

Double post

GJ 3 out of the first 4?

Correct me if i'm wrong but i thought he won the first one away at Brentford, then lost 9 on the trot, so hardly a lengthy honeymoon period.

MacDel's honeymoon will never end, as we go all the way to the Champions League final worship2.gif

I don't dispute that. Confidence and determination were the backbone of johnson's teams. They had to be because for most of his tenure, the football wasn't great to watch, and some tactics were dubious. But the will to win took us a long way in our promotion and playoff season. That was in no small part due to the mental factor Johnson looked for in his players during interview, which seemed from the outside to overrule the talent side of the player.

completely agree.

how anyone can forget or deny the feelgood factor around the club when we had GJ doing funny interviews and the players playing with smiles on their faces is beyond me.

remember the atmosphere in the east end during that time with the bouncing etc and the Basso chants and always believe. GJ instilled that in the club and while it went wrong in the end none of us should ever forget how lucky we were to be a part of it. We went a year with no club doing the double over us not because we had the best team but because we had confidence on the pitch and in the stands and nobody beat us twice. It was a great time.

I hope DM can do the same for us and the early signs are good. We've seen already that with confidence and momentum this club is almost unstoppable.

Very eloquently put.

The difference I see between Johnson's start was that it didn't take long for the players to see through Johnson and that led to the conflict within the dressing room and the initial desire to play for the new manager was quickly lost. From what I see so far from McInnes's interviews is that he's a players manager, honest and fair and prepared to listen to what his players are saying. I can't imagine the ''my way or the highway'' method of management is in McInnes's protocol manual.

Will the players desire to play for him fade when they become familiar with him and his style? Maybe, but I doubt it somehow. When a man like David James who has seen plenty of managers over his long career says he's impressed my McInnes then that's significant statement imo.

McInnes seems very gifted and he'll be head hunted in a similar way to David Moyes was when at Preston. That's a real shame from City's perspective. We have to enjoy it whist we can.

and of course that desire never returned, it was all conflict and we never got promoted and never got to one game from the Premier League, it was all a dream, ............................................3, 2, 1 were all back in the room.

GJ 3 out of the first 4?

Correct me if i'm wrong but i thought he won the first one away at Brentford, then lost 9 on the trot, so hardly a lengthy honeymoon period.

MacDel's honeymoon will never end, as we go all the way to the Champions League final worship2.gif

As I remember it we lost our first nine games under Johnson before beating Hudds (h) 2-0 with a Cotteril wonder goal

As I remember it we lost our first nine games under Johnson before beating Hudds (h) 2-0 with a Cotteril wonder goal

GJ was appointed on 26/09/05.

We won 3-0 at home to Barnsley, lost 0-1 at Hartlepool, beat Tranmere 1-0 at home, then lost 9 on the trot before we turned around.

GJ was appointed on 26/09/05.

We won 3-0 at home to Barnsley, lost 0-1 at Hartlepool, beat Tranmere 1-0 at home, then lost 9 on the trot before we turned around.

He was appointed on the friday before that, I was up at his first game at Brentford on the 24th which we won 3-2! I think Wilkshire scored an amazing free kick then missed a pen aswell?? Was a great game!

I think the big difference between GJ and Mcinnes is that Gary was a bit of a Showman, Mcinnes is not.

GJ loved all that " Johnson says, bounce around the stands" stuff and chants of "Johnson, Johnson give us a wave" (which he usually did).

I must admit I enjoyed all that, linked to the "Always Believe" thing but, looking back, it was a bit shallow.

In his short tenure so far, Mcinnes has already said (more than once) "it''s not about me, it's about the team performance"

Early days yet and (as the OP says) we are still in the honeymoon period - which won't last.

BUT here's my prediction.

I think Derek Mcinnes (and his able assistant ) will be our manager for some years to come and I believe these two guys are going to take us to the Prem (eventually).

Looks to me like we have our very own Alex Ferguson. Consider the similarities :

Brought up in Scottish football. Cut managerial teeth in Scotland.

This is his big break into the (much larger) English football scene. Just like SAF with Man U.

Won't stand any nonsense or indiscipline from the players.

Great tactician and player motivator - I know it's too soon to say that, but everything I have seen about Mcinnes so far suggests that.

Especially the way the team played last Sat v Burnley. Amongst many positive signs, I noticed much more off the ball running by our team to get into good positions.

One thing for sure now. We may struggle to get into the top ten in the NPC this season, but we are not going down.

Mcinnes Is Good For Us !!

Interesting post.

My view is that McInnes has several already noticeable facets to his style and character that are different to Johnson. He seems a lot more low-key in what he says, and regularly apportions praise onto his players. I loved Gary when he was here, but I feel that he was a bit one-dimensional in his management - great motivator and great at getting his team organised, but he never really seemed to have a plan B.

From the game I watched at West Ham, and what I've heard about the Burnley and Barnsley games, it seems McInnes is a tactically astute guy. He got his team setup absolutely spot on at Upton Park, and all the stuff I'm hearing about movement off the ball against Burnley is music to my ears. He seems able to adapt his approach to different games and different opposition, which is very, very encouraging. He seems to have got some players out of their shells already, and tactical tweaks like pushing Kilkenny forward, and playing two proper wingers to give the team balance is making a huge difference.

Every interview I've listened to with Del has given me confidence in what he's doing - talking about areas to strengthen the team, focusing on game by game, rather than outlandish statements, taking everything bit by bit. He makes the game sound simple and exudes calmness and intelligence - I have no doubt this is rubbing off on his players.

I feel that if we lose a couple, he has the capability to address problems quickly, and adapt his team accordingly. I don't think this a honeymoon period - instead everything I hear about Del and what I've seen on the pitch and from highlights suggests that this guy might just be the real deal.

Under Wilson the players respected him and wanted to play for him. Like McInnes, Wilson had a successful playing career. Under Johnson who achieved nothing as a player, the players were motivated by fear and look how long that lasted. Two season's.

Under Wilson the players respected him and wanted to play for him. Like McInnes, Wilson had a successful playing career. Under Johnson who achieved nothing as a player, the players were motivated by fear and look how long that lasted. Two season's.

Just remind me what Wilson did that Johnson did not. Ah yes championship football. Oh hang on........

Just remind me what Wilson did that Johnson did not. Ah yes championship football. Oh hang on........

I'm not saying that managing with an iron fist didn't work. It did for two season's but like everything one dimensional the effect wore off and with no plan B the plot was lost. Looks like the same thing is happening at Northampton just as it did at Posh.

Archived