IGNORED

Ashton Gate Railway Station...

spudski

...where exactly is it? Say's next to the Cumberland basin, but i can't visualize it.

I read today that it was specifically built in 1906 to ferry passengers to the Ground.

http://www.spartacus...k/Frailways.htm

http://www.thedutchf...hton%20gate.htm

I know the tracks run past the Winterstoke road trading estate, never seen or heard of a train going there though.

According to Wiki...

History...Opened by the Great Western Railway, the station closed due to economies during the First World War. It then passed on to the Western Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948. It was then closed by the British Railways Board in 1964, then briefly reopened for traffic to the football ground until 1977, and temporarily re-opened in May 1984 to serve Mission England, a series of evangelical rallies by Billy Graham at the football ground.[1]

The site today...The line through the former station still exists but in spite of attempts at passenger re-opening carries only freight for the Royal Portbury Dock.

Seems madness, when we have so much trouble with car traffic. Typical of this Country.

According to Wiki...

History...Opened by the Great Western Railway, the station closed due to economies during the First World War. It then passed on to the Western Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948. It was then closed by the British Railways Board in 1964, then briefly reopened for traffic to the football ground until 1977, and temporarily re-opened in May 1984 to serve Mission England, a series of evangelical rallies by Billy Graham at the football ground.[1]

The site today...The line through the former station still exists but in spite of attempts at passenger re-opening carries only freight for the Royal Portbury Dock.

Seems madness, when we have so much trouble with car traffic. Typical of this Country.

Parson st is only round the corner. That works fine I reckon.

The platform, or what is left of it, is situation just to the left of the A370 as you come in from Weston. Look left and down.

To reopen you would need to spend to realign the track, rebuild the platforms and renew the signalling which is only set up for freight as opposed to passenger. Key would be to reopen all the way to Portishead but as with many local transport matters where is the will?

Now where did I put my anorak

Kashmired

...where exactly is it? Say's next to the Cumberland basin, but i can't visualize it.

I read today that it was specifically built in 1906 to ferry passengers to the Ground.

http://www.spartacus...k/Frailways.htm

http://www.thedutchf...hton%20gate.htm

Ashton Gate station is a bit of a grand name for what was just a platform if memory serves me right! If you were travelling on the railway track from Winterstoke Road towards Portishead, as you passed under the A370 Brunel Way/Long Ashton Bypass road bridge, you would be entering Ashton Gate Halt as I think it used to be called. I don't know if the platform or platforms are still there, but they're probably lost in weeds by now. I can certainly remember them when I was at Ashton Park School back in the 70's

It was really useful for big matches, as it could ferry visiting supporters on football specials very close to the ground from all directions, and I think the main line junction is somewhere around Parson St Station.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to open it again if Ashton Vale does eventually materialisefingerscrossed.gif

Love stuff like this. I've spent the last year or so finding information on Mangotsfield pre-Emersons Green. Pictures and information on the old fields, railway lines, the 2 Mangotsfield stations, Carsons factory, etc. Well interesting!

To the OP:

Go to http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html, great website. Whack in BS3 2EJ, the clubs postcode, and choose one of the old maps. You can see how Ashton Gate also used to be a cricket ground, and you can see the railway line running alongside it towards Portishead. Might help you out.

North Somerset Council bought back the remainder of the land needed for the line. None of the Councils have any spare budget since the 20% cuts so are largely dependent on bidding for central funding.

The latter prioritises buses. Nonetheless, reopening the Portishead line (at a cost of around £40 million) is both Cllr Kent's and the West of England Partnership's highest priority for rail.

This year funding was rejected:

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Major-blow-rail-link-funding-Portishead/story-13721833-detail/story.html

Full Joint Transport Plan (Rapid [bus] Transport through Ashton Vale)

http://travelplus.org.uk/our-vision/joint-local-transport-plan-3/read-the-final-jltp3-strategy

Ah the portishead line, doubt we will ever see it open, being trying for as long as I can remember.

Don't the real benefit to be honest. It will be a line that just heads to portishead or temple meads

Why people can't just walk to parson street I don't know, makes more sense and gives better transport options

It is now used for Freight only - mainly cars from Avonmouth Docks but coal/hardcore stone has been seen as well. I remember a steam train going over the bridge on Ashton Drive just a few years ago with passengers and it was a weird sight to see as we were only used to seeing freight.

I think it's a great thing to open the line and station, but as been said, the budget won't stretch that far!

MM

They are just about to up the freight trains to 20 a day from previous 10. This will make it even harder to achieve any passenger status on the line - it's a single line branch with the station at Pill having points to allow two trains but the length and weight of the fright trains would make this difficult as most of the dual line ran over the arches in Pill.

It's not the £40m that I sense is the real problem its who's going to subsidise the running costs because it may not actually prove a profitable line just like the Severn Beach railway. A lot of people leaving Portishead in the morning get on the M5, not the 369... add to that the line just doesn't run in a favourable route. Had they kept the old docks line it could have got to Ashton Gate station and then run along the old docks line through to the M Shed, past the Bristol General and through to BTM allowing for much better station stops.

England will host the world cup before the Portishead line reopens :closedeyes:

• Admin

Do the Nuclear waste trains travel down that line? A scarey thought being so close to a stadium. Nothing more eirey than waiting at Temple Meads and having one of those go through.

You can always tell them, as they have 2 engines on the front.

and the whole platform vibrates like the footings are going to collapse at any time !

It is now used for Freight only - mainly cars from Avonmouth Docks but coal/hardcore stone has been seen as well. I remember a steam train going over the bridge on Ashton Drive just a few years ago with passengers and it was a weird sight to see as we were only used to seeing freight.

I think it's a great thing to open the line and station, but as been said, the budget won't stretch that far!

MM

Does Parson Street connect directly with Yatton?

Yes, it does.

OK thanks. So for the dormitory town of Clevedon its a 4 mile drive and then the train. I suspect the reason why more do not do it is because the train ticket price and train times are simply not low or conducive enough.

If a season ticket and season rail card could be purchased together it might be a start along with frequent match day trains.

My link

just been looking at this map, ashton vale looks interesting, cant see any public footpath or dogwalkers. :laughcont:

My link

Map of around the area in 1888, things have changed a little bit.

Thanks for those link mate.

I notice they show the old Tramway coming into Ashton as well. Worst thing Bristol ever did, getting rid of the trams.

I use them regularly abroad. Most go direct to a Football Stadium. Very cheap too.

It had a platform by the create centre that the industrial museum train used to run to occasionally. That line used to run all the way back to BTM but they've removed the bridge from St Mary Refcliffe way that passed just by the old Grosesnor hotel, infact they are just knocking down the last of the supporting pillars next to it at moment. The tunnel still exists that runs under the church and pops out adjacent to the old general hospital. Would have made a great tram/light railway route...

Archived