IGNORED

Ashton Gate Railway Station...

spudski

Didn't the rail bridge the other side of gs park use to have a platform on it as well? Or was I dreaming that

A tempory platform was used during the Festival of the Sea in the late 90's and I believe reappeared for a few summers after that for special trains running back and forth along the Harbour line.

Thanks for those link mate.

I notice they show the old Tramway coming into Ashton as well. Worst thing Bristol ever did, getting rid of the trams.

I use them regularly abroad. Most go direct to a Football Stadium. Very cheap too.

Yeh we could certainly do with a tram system with all the traffic congestion around bristol, if they ever get the new tram system going, i would love to see a link to our new stadium. It would save me driving.

I got a couple of links, might want to turn the sound down on the video, got on my nerves.

My link

My link

1321468101' post=1467721']

Thanks for those link mate.

I notice they show the old Tramway coming into Ashton as well. Worst thing Bristol ever did, getting rid of the trams.

I use them regularly abroad. Most go direct to a Football Stadium. Very cheap too.

You don't honestly believe that if it was built in this country it would be cheap though do you?

I must say - one of the more interesting threads on here in as long as I can rember. As a regular train rider to games (parson street) I never knew there was station at Ashton gate.

Have to agree that this has been a fascinating thread.

It had me thinking about other football clubs which had train stations like Ashton Gate for the purpose of getting supporters to the ground.

The only one that immediately sprang to mind was St James Park Halt for Exeter City, i'm sure there were some others..

Have to agree that this has been a fascinating thread.

It had me thinking about other football clubs which had train stations like Ashton Gate for the purpose of getting supporters to the ground.

The only one that immediately sprang to mind was St James Park Halt for Exeter City, i'm sure there were some others..

Manchester United have a station on the line that passes at the back of the South Stand at Old Trafford, only open on matchdays.

Walsall & West Brom both have them, but I think they're open all the time.

You don't honestly believe that if it was built in this country it would be cheap though do you?

I must say - one of the more interesting threads on here in as long as I can rember. As a regular train rider to games (parson street) I never knew there was station at Ashton gate.

Not as cheap as Europe, but cheaper than taking the car these days...surely? The train works out about the same for me price wise, compared to taking the car.

Here's Man Utd's... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_United_Football_Ground_railway_station

Not as cheap as Europe, but cheaper than taking the car these days...surely? The train works out about the same for me price wise, compared to taking the car.

Here's Man Utd's... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_United_Football_Ground_railway_station

Cars cheaper than train both for commuting and long distance, unless you get a cheap deal. First class to London is easily treble the cost of diesel.

As for Bristol to the North, likewise. The only thing hat can come close is taking indirect easy jet routes if you can be arsed going Bristol-dam-Manchester.

Shambles really, especially in Bristol. The clueless council has ****** up some major roads with half arsed bus lanes and bus stops that block the road.

In my mind if the ring road was ever finished it would take out an awful lot of cross town traffic, but road building is so unfashionable it's unlikely.

If the government would grow some balls and nationalise rail maybe it would become a cost effective way of traveling. As it is it spends alot of money for little control. This is fundamentally wrong.

Manchester United have a station on the line that passes at the back of the South Stand at Old Trafford, only open on matchdays.

Walsall & West Brom both have them, but I think they're open all the time.

Spot on with the above info though every time i've been to West Brom, the police have always taken us via Smethwick Rolfe Street so wasn't sure if The Hawthorns station was still used

I remember Derby Countys old Baseball Ground had a station called Ramsline Halt

If AV is built...did i hear right that they may consider reopening Long Ashton station?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disused_railway_stations_(Bristol_to_Exeter_Line)#Long_Ashton

As for car parking...will we have one giant car park with one entrance and exit?

Tbh...I haven't looked, but if so, I can see quiet a bit of congestion. Am i wrong?

Cars cheaper than train both for commuting and long distance, unless you get a cheap deal. First class to London is easily treble the cost of diesel.

As for Bristol to the North, likewise. The only thing hat can come close is taking indirect easy jet routes if you can be arsed going Bristol-dam-Manchester.

Shambles really, especially in Bristol. The clueless council has ****** up some major roads with half arsed bus lanes and bus stops that block the road.

In my mind if the ring road was ever finished it would take out an awful lot of cross town traffic, but road building is so unfashionable it's unlikely.

If the government would grow some balls and nationalise rail maybe it would become a cost effective way of traveling. As it is it spends alot of money for little control. This is fundamentally wrong.

Agree on the last point especially. Get the train to university in Wales every day and £12 seems (even after a young persons railcard) seems a bit steep. Considering how much better for the environment it is. I probably wouldn't mind paying high prices if the service was a little better...

If AV is built...did i hear right that they may consider reopening Long Ashton station?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disused_railway_stations_(Bristol_to_Exeter_Line)#Long_Ashton

As for car parking...will we have one giant car park with one entrance and exit?

Tbh...I haven't looked, but if so, I can see quiet a bit of congestion. Am i wrong?

Not sure how it stacks up against the one at ag and the pc world next door. Can't be any worse than Wycombe I guess.

The club would have to put in transport schemes for the new ground. For example as part of the planning permission for the Mem, Rovers had to supply coach transport from different areas dependant On average attendance.

If City were clever they'd come to an agreement with First that ticket holders get free/discounted travel, but then why not do that already?

Not sure how it stacks up against the one at ag and the pc world next door. Can't be any worse than Wycombe I guess.

The club would have to put in transport schemes for the new ground. For example as part of the planning permission for the Mem, Rovers had to supply coach transport from different areas dependant On average attendance.

If City were clever they'd come to an agreement with First that ticket holders get free/discounted travel, but then why not do that already?

Very True...although around AG, it is quiet easy to get street parking if you arrive early enough. I should imagine it would be less easy around the new Stadium. Police Bollards everywhere i should imagine. We're all going to have to arrive off the Weston Rd...right? And exit onto it? Should be fun.

I can see myself walking from near the Gate as usual.

• Admin

OK thanks. So for the dormitory town of Clevedon its a 4 mile drive and then the train. I suspect the reason why more do not do it is because the train ticket price and train times are simply not low or conducive enough.

I think that you would be surprised how many people actually travel up by train.

The 17:30 / 18:30 trains back towards WSM, are usually full with people that have been to the football.

Group 4 tickets are the way to travel, from WSM - BTM return its £2.85 each !

I think that you would be surprised how many people actually travel up by train.

The 17:30 / 18:30 trains back towards WSM, are usually full with people that have been to the football.

Group 4 tickets are the way to travel, from WSM - BTM return its £2.85 each !

fair enough on the first point.

on the second one i would prefer to travel in a regular train carriage rather than an armoured vehicle but for less than 3 quid it certainly is a steal... ooops sorry!!

Archived