IGNORED

Scotty Murray Retiring At End Of Season

Carey 6

A great player for us in an era where we had so many bad ones. An absolute top bloke as well and I'm glad he is going to remain around the club coaching the kids and in his PR role.

So many great moments as a City player. His first season with us when he was part of our promotion team as a young promising right-back. THAT Cardiff goal. I remember him scoring a goal where he ran from our own box, Peacock made a run to the left, Thorpe made a run to the right and Murray just ran through the middle of them, kept running and kept running and then scored. Running around like a mad man after the 5th goal at Mansfield. The season where every time he shot it seemed to go in. The pure excitement we all felt when we re-signed him on deadline day. The goal after about 10 seconds against Millwall. The Middlesbrough goal. The wonder goal on our first day back in the Championship. His ridiculous hair in his last season with us...

I remember in Shaun Goater's last game that a load of Man City and Rotherham fans turned up at Southend to say goodbye, so maybe we could do something like that later in the season? (As much as going to Twerton will be a bit horrible!)

Happy retirement Scott. Every left-back in the land can sleep a bit easier now.

Age waits for no man and Scotty has reached the age where he's not as fit, quick and agile as he once was. It happens to us all eventually.

As for his contribution to City as a player. He was terrific and many of us will remember him bombing down right wing towards the Atyeo, cutting in towards goal and often scoring from a tight angle. His now iconic hand to the ear gesture as he ran past the Cardiff fans at Ninian Park will always be one of my favourite City pictures and remind me that I was there. Many of us have an affinity with him, he always felt like one of us even though he's a Scotsman.

post-10675-0-58313500-1321611112_thumb.j

I don't even think it should be debated, he should definitely get a testimonial. Like an above poster said, joint one with Carey

It should be debated.

For example why should Murray or any other City player be given a testimonial? In today's football, Championship and above players earn fantastic money,signing on fees and PFA pensions and why should my hard earned cash go into the pocket of an already wealthy man? I would not support such a testimonial regardless of how highly I rated the player.

If a player was offered a testimonial and said the proceeds were going charity then I would support it.

It should be debated.

For example why should Murray or any other City player be given a testimonial? In today's football, Championship and above players earn fantastic money,signing on fees and PFA pensions and why should my hard earned cash go into the pocket of an already wealthy man? I would not support such a testimonial regardless of how highly I rated the player.

If a player was offered a testimonial and said the proceeds were going charity then I would support it.

Knowing Scotty he would give it to charity ... and he deserves it as a thank you from the fans and the club for his loyalty...

Knowing Scotty he would give it to charity ... and he deserves it as a thank you from the fans and the club for his loyalty...

How about a game with very low admission fees, kids free and discount on kid's shirts for the day? Pack the place out and make it more of a party than a money making exercise. Not sure about the opposition - none of his previous clubs would be much of a draw so I'd go for a pre-seasonn friendly aganst some Scottish team. St Johnstone anybody?

It wasn't 100% loyalty was it?

After all he left us to go to Reading?

Forgot that did you?

Same principle applies to Carey.

Correct, but on the same note, you never know the circumstances under which they left. I'm not in the know whatsoever, but sometimes transfers aren't always the players decision. Maybe the club needed the money at the time? I don't know.

It wasn't 100% loyalty was it?

After all he left us to go to Reading?

Forgot that did you?

Same principle applies to Carey.

They were not away for long and it felt like they were sent out on loan, they were home sick and wanted to come back.

Carey and Murray do a lot of good off the pitch for various events and always have time for the fans and to me a legend has much importance for the good they

do off the pitch as much what they do on it for the club..

Scotty still works at AG now and he turned the gas down to carry on working for BCFC and play a bit for Bath now there is some loyalty there.

Correct, but on the same note, you never know the circumstances under which they left. I'm not in the know whatsoever, but sometimes transfers aren't always the players decision. Maybe the club needed the money at the time? I don't know.

I'm sure both Murray and Carey wouldn't have gone to Reading and Coventry respectively if there wasn't a decent signing on fee and serious increase in wages. Carey came back because he was home sick and Murray because his Mrs was homesick.

I'm not criticising either of them. I'd have done the same thing in their position but to say they were 'loyal' is stretching things a bit far. Le Tissier was loyal if you want an example.

They were not away for long and it felt like they were sent out on loan, they were home sick and wanted to come back.

Carey and Murray do a lot of good off the pitch for various events and always have time for the fans and to me a legend has much importance for the good they

do off the pitch as much what they do on it for the club..

Scotty still works at AG now and he turned the gas down to carry on working for BCFC and play a bit for Bath now there is some loyalty there.

Lots of players do plenty of good work off the pitch. David James is a perfect example. Skuuuuuuse supporting the fans derby was appreciated and well received is just one example. Doesn't mean they 'deserve' a testimonial.

Lots of players do plenty of good work off the pitch. David James is a perfect example. Skuuuuuuse supporting the fans derby was appreciated and well received is just one example. Doesn't mean they 'deserve' a testimonial.

Scott Murray does, the word testimonial is overused these days, but in Scotts case its not. He should get a testimonial, over the years his commitment more than matches even the Bristolians in the team. Why have got an issue with it?

Not till they have done 10 years or so at a club no, but in the todays game it is rare you will get a Murray and a Carey, skusse maybe in time and David james is popular at events for being a former England goalkeeper which is fine but is from a stepping stone era in football..

For a testimonial the criteria goes hand in hand with being popular (does help), good work off the pitch, length of service and being a decent player, all boxes ticked for Carey and Murray and Murray still being at the club in another form helping out.

It's an event some city fans would like to see to say thank you but those fans who are against the idea need not turn up and part with their money, all some fans are asking for is that choice to see a Scott Murray testimonial game or not.

Scott Murray a testimonial game for Bristol City

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/scottmurray/

Age waits for no man and Scotty has reached the age where he's not as fit, quick and agile as he once was. It happens to us all eventually.

As for his contribution to City as a player. He was terrific and many of us will remember him bombing down right wing towards the Atyeo, cutting in towards goal and often scoring from a tight angle. His now iconic hand to the ear gesture as he ran past the Cardiff fans at Ninian Park will always be one of my favourite City pictures and remind me that I was there. Many of us have an affinity with him, he always felt like one of us even though he's a Scotsman.

I'm sure you've alway been fat and ginger :shocking:

Scott Murray does, the word testimonial is overused these days, but in Scotts case its not. He should get a testimonial, over the years his commitment more than matches even the Bristolians in the team. Why have got an issue with it?

You could read my earlier post on this thread.

I'll repeat it here.

''For example why should Murray or any other City player be given a testimonial? In today's football, Championship and above players earn fantastic money,signing on fees and PFA pensions and why should my hard earned cash go into the pocket of an already wealthy man? I would not support such a testimonial regardless of how highly I rated the player.

If a player was offered a testimonial and said the proceeds were going charity then I would support it.''

Is that clear enough Bucks?

Archived