IGNORED

Albert Adomah V Dariusz Dziekanowski

MT1970

No comparison necessary.

Albert by far the better player. Dziekanowski was a lazy trickster and how he ever became a City legend to some fans is a complete mystery to me. Vastly overated player who scored a 7 goals for City.

I don't think the comparisions are fair because they are players from a different age, but I also don't think this description of Jacki's career here is fair either. Yes technically you could suggest that the stats don't match with the adoration but the stats in this case definitely do not tell the whole story. We were as a club at a level of "dullness" that may have been matched in other times but rarely surpassed. Jacki (and Cole's) arrival gave a lift to the club, the fans and certainly the other players. I also think that Jacki had a great effect on Cole in particular, seeing a player playing with that level of "I can do anything" confidence created a similar atmosphere at the club.

In short, what he brought to the club in "character" was worth far more than his contribution to the stats.

I don't think the comparisions are fair because they are players from a different age, but I also don't think this description of Jacki's career here is fair either. Yes technically you could suggest that the stats don't match with the adoration but the stats in this case definitely do not tell the whole story. We were as a club at a level of "dullness" that may have been matched in other times but rarely surpassed. Jacki (and Cole's) arrival gave a lift to the club, the fans and certainly the other players. I also think that Jacki had a great effect on Cole in particular, seeing a player playing with that level of "I can do anything" confidence created a similar atmosphere at the club.

In short, what he brought to the club in "character" was worth far more than his contribution to the stats.

Exactly

I remember him stood onj the by line, opposition midfielder withthe ball, Jackie says in his strong eastern accent, " Just give me the Ball, you're shite, let me shjow you what I can do with it" Pure Brilliance, and of course the opposition player obliged, and Jackie proceeded to take the piss

My personal favourite was Geert Meijer , Gertie from Amsterdam. He had skill and trickery in bucketloads and I remember him scoring a couple of late goals after just coming on. Legend in my eyes

No comparison necessary.

Albert by far the better player. Dziekanowski was a lazy trickster and how he ever became a City legend to some fans is a complete mystery to me. Vastly overated player who scored a 7 goals for City.

I am in agreement with part of your view Robbo (he was lazy), but from memory that was exacerbated by the fact that Osman began trying to play him as the front prong of a midfield three. He was the epitome of a luxury player: he couldn't tackle and wouldn't track back, and that would naturally leave us "short" in the middle of the park.

I think if Osman had left him upfront where the "defensive" side of the game matters a little less, and just let him go out and play, the "love affair" would have lasted a little longer. Although I guess ultimately, any player with such an (alleged) off-the-field lifestyle would find that this would catch up with them eventually.

"Legend" is a difficult term to justify in the traditional sense that the affair was brief, but certainly, I have never been so excited by watching any other City player in my "supporting career" (87 onwards). Have other players been more important to the club? (Albert etc.) Certainly. But from a personal perspective, no other player has since had that "wow" factor as Jacki.

Never thought I'd read a sentence with the words Noble and pace in it without "pace" being preceded by "lack of"

Got to admit Paul, that Noble was a class act. Shame about Johnson not getting the best out of him. I imagine that if McInnes had been in charge of Noble we'd have seen his full potential.

Dziekanowski consistently played no significant role on the pitch. He had a few good games, odd great one v a lot of very poor ones.

Adomah consistently makes a significant impact. In terms of attitude Adomah is a workhorse.

This.

What marks Albert out is his ability to beat multiple opponents. He shook off three yellow shirts on Saturday at one time. Runs with extreme pace at opponents and then either rounds them or hurdles challenges and nutmegs them.

A joy to see!

No comparison necessary.

+1.

I enjoyed the few magic moments but unfortunately Jackie played for himself, and when he felt like it, not the team.

No legend.

+1.

I enjoyed the few magic moments but unfortunately Jackie played for himself, and when he felt like it, not the team.

No legend.

No no no Jackie was and is a City legend ,will always be talked about by City fans ,fantastic footballer who knew that football is a game for entertainers for us fans to enjoy ,absolutely loved his short time with us ,loved it.!!!!!

A few other points to remember....

1. Jackie also made 50 appearances for Celtic when the Scottish league was more on a par with the English Premier league.

2. He also made 60 International appearances for Poland

He may have been a luxury player, but he certainly had something about him to play consistently at a higher level than when at Bristol City.

Russell Osman couldn't get the best out of Jackie, he just wanted to create a team of cart-horses who'd work hard for other. Admittedly it got us the highest finish in a division since the late 70's/early 80's, but liken it what Gary Johnson done, it was effective, but dull to watch.

Denis Smith knew how to get the best out of our front line - the likes of Cole/Rosenior/Jackie/Allison could destroy anyone, unfortunately the defence was useless with the likes of Dave Thompson and Brian Mitchell.

I do believe that if Denis Smith stayed longer, we would have gone on to better things. It's a shame the board couldn't find anymore money after he blew his total transfer budget on Andy Cole, that basically led them on to selling him dirt cheap the following season.

Archived