IGNORED

Is The Honeymoon Over?

Robbored

Can I clarify this, Robbored...do you need to have been at the game to comment..or are you the forum master???

You may have seen todays game on Sky which kinda qualifies you to comment but EMB comments on every game whether he's seen them on TV or not.

You may have seen todays game on Sky which kinda qualifies you to comment but EMB comments on every game whether he's seen them on TV or not.

i was behind you guys all the way and thought result was shitty...but hey..that is referess and football today. But the play was excellent and, as I said before, you deserved at least a draw..and shit happens.

That doesn't stop you though. You still feel qualified to comment despite not being at the game.

Um, was it not shown on tv today, with the advantage of numerous replays from every possible angle? I was at the game and only saw any controversal incidents once, not having watched any replays on tv. I'd say you didn't have to actually be there today to have a comment worth reading.

Ok we lost with the help of the ref who was constantly fooled by boro who threw themselves down clutching their heads every time they were under a bit of pressure from us. We missed Elliott, but understandable why he was excused. Maynards failed to take his opportunity to shine and Skuse narrowly beat Wilson for MOTM who will keep Nyatanga out when fit on that showing.

Shame the Southampton match wasn't the one on tv as we played really well last week. Maybe we were lucky to draw at watford, oops I didn't go so only base my comments on what I heard from the radio and saw on tv. Maybe a loss to watford and a draw today would have been fairer.

But we are far, far, a different side from what we were only a few weeks ago, thankfully we look like progress is being made. As for Boro, they were nothing special, glad I don't have to watch that everyweek.

to be fair to robbored, he has supported Dels appointment from the start, and also, admitted that millen ran out of steam and needed to go.

anyway, I think that Woolford, though he tries, doesnt quite have it, and bolasie coming on looked like a kid at the park playing by himself - he isnt ready. the mandate as far as i can see is for Del to keep us up, and get rid of as much dead wood as we can in the summer. there isnt much of a plan b if adomah gets crowded out of it, but thats because the squad is so poor that we have to rely on albert and maynard to provide the goals. Marvin ideally would have been playing, and he was a big loss as well today.

as far as i can see the honeymoon most certainly isnt over, the transformation since del has come in is unbeleivable, and we are lucky to have him.

Disappointing to lose to such a late goal which came from a dodgy free kick but the referee wasn't completely to blame.

To me it seemed that Boro had worked City out and came with a game plan to close out Albert and Maynard by restricting supply to them. The later had one sniff all game. They also did what City did to Southampton and gave City no time or space to get the passing game together. Such was their game plan that it pretty much cancelled out their own attacking play and both goalkeepers had little to do all game. A draw would have been fairer to both teams but thanks to a questionable free kick and questionable positioning from James Boro go home with 3 points.

I think Wilson did a superb job but without the bruiser Elliot the midfield was light weight with neither Woolford or Pearson able to disrupt play like Marvin does. It also meant that Kilkenny was deeper than in recent games and therefore less effective. Midfield cover has to be a priority in January.

Now after a decent run City have managed one point from two games and now its a real test of McInnes's managerial nouse to get the lads prepared for next weeks trip to struggling Derby.

This post is worthy of the village idiot! A very simplistic view of how the match panned out. Have teams worked us out doh.... i would expect teams to try and stop our better players. I would be suprised if they didn't.....wouldn't you? Do you really think this is rocket science.

This was a very tight game, played by two v good teams....and could of gone either way.

We finally have a v good manager. Yes a draw would have been fairer...well done Sherlock!

And yes we only got one point from two games, or no points from one game......see i am as much a mathematical genius as you are.

If we continue to play like this for the rest of the season against lesser opposition, we will be safe!

I was so proud of the whole team this evening, and i couldn't of said that a few weeks ago!

This post is worthy of the village idiot! A very simplistic view of how the match panned out. Have teams worked us out doh.... i would expect teams to try and stop our better players. I would be suprised if they didn't.....wouldn't you? Do you really think this is rocket science.

This was a very tight game, played by two v good teams....and could of gone either way.

We finally have a v good manager. Yes a draw would have been fairer...well done Sherlock!

And yes we only got one point from two games, or no points from one game......see i am as much a mathematical genius as you are.

If we continue to play like this for the rest of the season against lesser opposition, we will be safe!

I was so proud of the whole team this evening, and i couldn't of said that a few weeks ago!

Good, common sennse (which is rare!!)

I think it's a fair enough question Robbored. Boro nullified the threat of Maynard and Adomah. When they are not in the game we don't really look like we can open teams up though we passed the ball well.

We missed Elliot's energy and enthusiasm to close players down and win headers in midfield. He was a major loss today and IMO is almost as key to this system as Adomah and Maynard.

We played some nice stuff but not really penetrating enough. Boro had clearly done there homework and we are going to have to find other ways of breaking teams down when this happens.

Derby next week will be tough, they looked very tidy 2nd half against Palace and 1st half up at West Ham. They are overdue a result.

Hopefully this will have put a lid on those people thinking about the playoffs. Raised expectations only hinder us, we just need to focus on survival first and foremost.

January/Feb will be key. I think Del will bring a couple in if possible and we will also find out if Adomah and Cisse are off to the African Nations.

It's been a tremendous start and for me, it's just great to see us playing football on the deck again. So much more enjoyable than that hoofball shite served up by Millen.

I watched the game on sky, being as the Airbus never turned up at the bus stop, I thought I might miss the first half and went home again.

Boro came with a plan and played it to perfection in my opinion.

Even down to looking for a freekick on the edge of the box if time was running out.

Not much between the teams but in truth Middlesbrough were slightly better.

Nevertheless City players and fans can be proud of how far the team has come in a few short weeks.

Disappointing to lose to such a late goal which came from a dodgy free kick but the referee wasn't completely to blame.

To me it seemed that Boro had worked City out and came with a game plan to close out Albert and Maynard by restricting supply to them. The later had one sniff all game. They also did what City did to Southampton and gave City no time or space to get the passing game together. Such was their game plan that it pretty much cancelled out their own attacking play and both goalkeepers had little to do all game. A draw would have been fairer to both teams but thanks to a questionable free kick and questionable positioning from James Boro go home with 3 points.

I think Wilson did a superb job but without the bruiser Elliot the midfield was light weight with neither Woolford or Pearson able to disrupt play like Marvin does. It also meant that Kilkenny was deeper than in recent games and therefore less effective. Midfield cover has to be a priority in January.

Now after a decent run City have managed one point from two games and now its a real test of McInnes's managerial nouse to get the lads prepared for next weeks trip to struggling Derby.

now I have read this 4 or 5 times.... But I still can't see what's wrong with it?!

I don't think it's negative - I think it's a fair assessment of the game today.

Plus he has a point - now we have lost - we are no longer playing with the momentum a new manager brings. So, now we'll see what mcinnes is really made of. There's nothing wrong with saying that either.

For me, I still think we have struck gold with this new manager, but now is the time where he earns his crust.... and we'll find out if we can keep up the great performances or if it was the 'new manager syndrome'

My gut feeling is that we'll now go onto a very good season

James was not at fault for that goal it was a bloody good freekick

I thought exactly the same when I saw it go in from the Atyeo, however, looking at the football league show, it appears James was stood BEHIND the wall, and even from there he managed to get his fingertips to the shot. If he trusted the wall to do the job properly and stood slightly more to his left, then he would have had a better chance of stopping the goal.

With regards to the original part of this thread - "have we been found out". The answer is probably, but we still created enough chances to have won that game, so being found out made no difference at all.

As a boro fan, City certainly deserved something from the game.

We have played worse than that and won plenty of games this season, as a footballing side city are possibly the best I have seen so far.

Also don't think many keepers in the world would have got even a hand to that!!

Keep the faith good manager, and good side.Play off certs !! Keep the faith!

I thought the only difference between the 2 teams is their league position.

We may have been found out yesterday, but this no way dminishes my belief that we have a top class man at the helm who will see this and be able to adapt.

I think I would have felt differently had we been outclassed, but we were not outclassed and for me were the more positive side.The 3 points in fairness should have been ours, but poor referreeing decsions cost us the game.

Derby will be the next test, but I have confidence in the team and the manangement, and it has been a very long time since I have been so optimistic.

:englandsmile4wf:

There's nothing in Robbo's post that I'd take issue with...except the title.

What's this "honeymoon" notion? Derek McInnes is an experience young manager who we've taken to immediately. He's everything his pitiful predecessor wasn't. He clearly has the capacity to motivate a squad that were going down under Millen and is already able to put out a side from that squad that can go toe to toe with one of the best teams in the division. Tony Mowbray is a class act. Anyone remember the WBA sides he brought to the Gate? They blew us away and we were very lucky to get anything against them. Last night we more than matched Boro.

It was a very disappointing result but the signs are there that in McInnes we have a gem, and we don't have a bad squad of players. We have a limited squad and of course Boro had done their homework - but "work us out" implies we can only play one way. I don't think McInnes will let that happen. The line up is far more fluid on the pitch than some posters suggest. More work needed?...certainly.

For exiles out there who - like me - don't get to many matches, a few observations on players you may not have seen or who are playing very differently. Wilson was very impressive but needs games - certainly more impressive than Nyatanga. He made one marvellous challenge in the box to deny a shooting opportunity in the second half and won almost everything in their air. Cisse is everything that Millen's doubters assumed he was - a class act who couldn't be motivated by an inferior manager. Pearson is solid - looks confident. I was impressed by Kilkenny's energy...and by Skuse, a revelation for me at right back. Woolford doesn't have it as yet - willing but lacking composure. Adomah and Maynard were snuffed out by a very effective defence as Robbo suggests. Bolasie is a classic new winger...erratic...jury out. Pitman had 20 minutes and didn't get to do a lot, but that said almost scored with a deflection with one of his first touches.

We'll play at lot worse and win.

We were right behind it and could see James behind the City wall. He couldn't have possibly seen where the ball was going and we knew that if the strike was on target they would score. Had he been more to his left and he would have saved it.

Yes, probably. More to the left and then maybe he saved it. Very good shot, but I dont think it was in the top corner. We will see it on player. Anyway I think it was bad luck and we deserved at least 1 point. We had luck at Watford game with their owngoal, so now its even steven.

now I have read this 4 or 5 times.... But I still can't see what's wrong with it?!

I don't think it's negative - I think it's a fair assessment of the game today.

Plus he has a point - now we have lost - we are no longer playing with the momentum a new manager brings. So, now we'll see what mcinnes is really made of. There's nothing wrong with saying that either.

For me, I still think we have struck gold with this new manager, but now is the time where he earns his crust.... and we'll find out if we can keep up the great performances or if it was the 'new manager syndrome'

My gut feeling is that we'll now go onto a very good season

Thanks for that Riaz.

Its nice to know that at least some people actually read and understood what the OP was about.

Archived