IGNORED

Pitman Linked To Bournemouth Return

ralphindevon

Tansley- got to respect that mate, it's true that the movement in to the correct areas invites the opportunity to get the tap in...

But I'm just saying Pitman gets into the spaces more often, if the deliveries were better (mainly down the left) he would get more goals... Like the movement for his goal at the gate when pearson chased the ball and then provided a first time cross at the Atyeo end a few weeks ago, Pitman moved across/infront the keeper and knocked it in. Shame that Woolford, Bolasie and McGivern (more often than not) cannot get the same front post ball in...

View PostNogbad the Bad, on 05 December 2011 - 04:39 PM, said:

Whether there's any truth in this or not it really pees me off that Pitman gets so few opportunities at AG that he is likely to be linked with other clubs.

Bournemouth may well have a bit of money with the new Russian co owner; Pitman, or more likely his wife, may be homesick and he's barely featuring for City so just maybe there's some truth in it.

The one obvious thing against it is he hasn't failed to make the step up to the Championship by any means, so doesn't need to revert to a lower level.

My bet is at least a dozen Championship clubs would be interested in Pitman, especially all those who haven't got a striker on their books who could match his total for last season.

If City were to lose Pitman for ANY reason it would be a shocking mistake, he's clearly a potential top scorer in this division.

He must have some regrets about his decision to join City at the expense of other (higher placed) clubs when he has proved himself by scoring goals consistently in the Championship when chosen but has still not consolidated a first team place. His career is simply not progressing at AG and he must wonder if it ever will.

Best thing would be if we get a good fee for NM asap - if it comes to a straight choice I'd far rather he left AG than Pitman.

Totally correct. Pitman is the superior striker to Maynard and you can only sympathise with him, when considering the lack of oppurtunities he has got here. His goals to minute ratio is fantastic and the amount of sub appearances he has made, makes him look a far worse player than he truthfully is.

The only reason Maynard is playing ahead of Pitman is becuase he has a bit more pace.

In the absence of a Facebook "like" - then yes I absolutely agree with both posts. Nail squarely hit on the head!

He looks like he could loose a few pounds and should either grow a Hartleyesque beard and shave it off, but he's a great striker - hungry, capable and motivated. Del needs to take care because he's got more longer term potential (in terms of longevity at the club) than NM.

NB - Where's Stead these days because he's a decent striker too. If NM goes then these two are key.

Pitman has far better movement in the box than maynard. He ghosts, maynard 9 times out of 10 you know exactly what he is going to do, and so does the defender. Pitman is far more intelligent and makes space and runs that maynard would only hope to make.

The mistake people make with maynard is giving him time and space outside the box, where he can shoot or use that 5 yard burst of pace

that gets him space.

Agree with this.

Maynards movement is atrocious . If a defender gets tight to Maynard it game over as he simply isnt clever enough to lose a defender like a

Lita or Pitman.

Not sure where big Jon has been, maybe he hasn't recovered fully from his injury...

I was at the boro game, but if anyone wasn't and instead heard the match on radio Bristol -

Wasn't he meant to be commentating on there? Or is that the next home match..

This would be a huge backward step for pitmans career if this did happen. I dont believe for one minute that it will. Im a huge fan and maynard needs to make a decision now as to whether hes staying or not, otherwise pitman will lose patience and go as well. Then we are in a mess.

Tansley- got to respect that mate, it's true that the movement in to the correct areas invites the opportunity to get the tap in...

But I'm just saying Pitman gets into the spaces more often, if the deliveries were better (mainly down the left) he would get more goals... Like the movement for his goal at the gate when pearson chased the ball and then provided a first time cross at the Atyeo end a few weeks ago, Pitman moved across/infront the keeper and knocked it in. Shame that Woolford, Bolasie and McGivern (more often than not) cannot get the same front post ball in...

I don't have any concerns about Pitman going forward, I think that would be ridiculous. Pitman is so very comfortable and reliable in front of goal that he could easily slot into a side in a higher division if they played a particular style and had the delivery that he would thrive on. I often wonder if Pitman is a generation too late, I think he would have excelled to the very top in the times of old... He even has that persona.

It's his contribution off the ball that I think makes him second choice to Maynard and also makes me doubt his ability to play in the current formation to the same level of effectiveness. So with that considered you probably have to change the formation to fit him in... So 4-4-2? who do you drop from our midfield? Cisse? Arguably the most influential defensive player we have, Our defence may well be much better organised since McInnes and Doherty have coached them (Something Esmond will no doubt mention) but the protection offered by Cisse has arguable been more influential than that. Kilkenny has also shown that he finds it more difficult to play in a 2 man midfield. So Elliot? Can't pass a football more than 5 yards but breaks up play fantastically and has a very good understanding with Killkenny and Cisse. So then maybe Killkenny? I've already mentioned that he doesn't effect games as much in a two man midfield but without him we have nobody in the midfield comfortable on the ball further up the field... So the only other option is to drop a winger? Whilst Woolford and Pearson might not be world beaters they offer a much under-rated aspect to a formation... Balance. is it worth sacrificing our balance to accommodate Pitman?

I personally don't think it is just yet, But if McInnes can find a way if playing Pitman and Maynard together then I'm sure we'll all be very happy to see two quality marksmen on the pitch in the Red of BCFC.

I dont think thats fair, its already been said that Maynard didn't shut down on saturday... Which I know isnt the same every week, but I think (and always have) that Nicky's work rate is poor.

He normally doesnt shut down the oppostion because to be fair he is on his own up front, so the defence have time to pass the ball between them (draw maynard and off load, so its pointless shutting down) and secondly he is always in the wrong position, while Brett can read a game and moves through the channels, on the last man, or predicting where the likely ball is passed. And as soon as he came on he shut down the keep!

I will agree that he doesnt seem electric while shutting down like maynard, but both still simply jump into tackles leading to two footers... Away at Sheffield last year, Maynard lunge = Red.

Personally I dont support one upfront. Especially at home, like against Boro we had posession but couldnt use it because Nicky was lonely. But it has been working with Albert on the counter. But if you want 2 up top you have to sacrifice a centre mid in order to play Albert on the wing and Brett and Maynard upfront. We have always attempted to play 3 CM's (Evander Sno, Elliott and Skuse) and now (obv Kilkenny, Cisse and Elliott). Elliott since his injury has become more forward thinking, still dominating the pitch but now wondering rather than holding position. Kilkenny has arrived in recent games, great through balls. Cisse has, like you added, broken play up and distributed the ball well. So its hard to drop one, we had to on saturday and we lost. It can be argued it was because we played one upfront or because Elliott wasnt there. As the formation is working, you have to play one up front. Though I still believe that should be Brett because he will be here next year (We all hope)

...And I dont believe you can drop a winger because then you have an inbalance with Adomah on one side.

Or do you put Maynard - Pitman - Adomah upfront?

Removing the left of midfield would mean that we go back to the CM having to drift to the left (Evander Sno Syndrome)

the difference between pitman and maynard is Nicky works hard all over the pitch and is willing to track back and defend Pitman does not and only stays in the other half and hardly ever drops back to help out in defence or midfield, hance 2 managers not picking him, they both can't be wrong there is a reason pitman doesn't get picked (I also heard he doesn't train hard at all)

the difference between pitman and maynard is Nicky works hard all over the pitch and is willing to track back and defend Pitman does not and only stays in the other half and hardly ever drops back to help out in defence or midfield, hance 2 managers not picking him, they both can't be wrong there is a reason pitman doesn't get picked (I also heard he doesn't train hard at all)

That last point was contradicted a bit by McInnes who specifically said Pitman was training very hard.

I think if you have a £2m striker who has scored 40+ goals for the club or a £1m one who has scored 16, who are you going to pick?

It's a bit of a mistake, particularly as I didn't see Nicky tracking back and defending much in his last games. He retains his position as the settled team has been working well - Saturday aside - but since he's established himself as first name on the team sheet, Maynard's work-rate has noticeably declined.

Whether there's any truth in this or not it really pees me off that Pitman gets so few opportunities at AG that he is likely to be linked with other clubs.

Bournemouth may well have a bit of money with the new Russian co owner; Pitman, or more likely his wife, may be homesick and he's barely featuring for City so just maybe there's some truth in it.

The one obvious thing against it is he hasn't failed to make the step up to the Championship by any means, so doesn't need to revert to a lower level.

My bet is at least a dozen Championship clubs would be interested in Pitman, especially all those who haven't got a striker on their books who could match his total for last season.

If City were to lose Pitman for ANY reason it would be a shocking mistake, he's clearly a potential top scorer in this division.

He must have some regrets about his decision to join City at the expense of other (higher placed) clubs when he has proved himself by scoring goals consistently in the Championship when chosen but has still not consolidated a first team place. His career is simply not progressing at AG and he must wonder if it ever will.

Best thing would be if we get a good fee for NM asap - if it comes to a straight choice I'd far rather he left AG than Pitman.

would you rather we had got the points we have since McI came or that Pitman played? I know which I prefer. He will have to bide his time and take his chance when it comes and as log as we are moving up the table that 's fine with me...

would you rather we had got the points we have since McI came or that Pitman played? I know which I prefer. He will have to bide his time and take his chance when it comes and as log as we are moving up the table that 's fine with me...

This aint a great post - this implies that if Pitman played instead of maynard we would'nt have picked up points.

Personnally I think we would have done just as well as we have with maynard.

Theres no point picking Maynard to get points when we will have Pitman next year to gain points... Might as well play him now if we are going to have to have him next with no Maynard.

And Pitman was sitting back when he came on, trying to defend. I don't think you can argue against that, I often watch off the ball movement and defending as well as following the ball on matchdays, and when he came on Pitman did more defensive work than Maynard did in 90minutes.

Theres no point picking Maynard to get points when we will have Pitman next year to gain points... Might as well play him now if we are going to have to have him next with no Maynard.

And Pitman was sitting back when he came on, trying to defend. I don't think you can argue against that, I often watch off the ball movement and defending as well as following the ball on matchdays, and when he came on Pitman did more defensive work than Maynard did in 90minutes.

Second point is Poppycock in my opinion.

On your first point next season Del will be able to bring players in to play a system that suits Pitman if Maynard is to leave. He can't right now so Maynard should play a system that has gos us results!

Archived