IGNORED

Pitman Linked To Bournemouth Return

ralphindevon

IF TRUE, we have really ****** about here.

I said when we signed him, it was strange unless maynard was off for big money.

Mind you millen used to say you cant have too many strikers :doh:

uh, yes you can! especially when your only playing 1 up front :facepalm:

Maynard will be off in Jan...he just has to wait till then.

In addition...a mate of mine that is on the coaching staff there said there was some talk of us buying out the 'amount of games played' payment in his contract...i.e if we said £300k after 50 games...then we have offered £200k to pay now rather than more in the future. I don't know whether this story had come from that?

Whether there's any truth in this or not it really pees me off that Pitman gets so few opportunities at AG that he is likely to be linked with other clubs.

Bournemouth may well have a bit of money with the new Russian co owner; Pitman, or more likely his wife, may be homesick and he's barely featuring for City so just maybe there's some truth in it.

The one obvious thing against it is he hasn't failed to make the step up to the Championship by any means, so doesn't need to revert to a lower level.

My bet is at least a dozen Championship clubs would be interested in Pitman, especially all those who haven't got a striker on their books who could match his total for last season.

If City were to lose Pitman for ANY reason it would be a shocking mistake, he's clearly a potential top scorer in this division.

He must have some regrets about his decision to join City at the expense of other (higher placed) clubs when he has proved himself by scoring goals consistently in the Championship when chosen but has still not consolidated a first team place. His career is simply not progressing at AG and he must wonder if it ever will.

Best thing would be if we get a good fee for NM asap - if it comes to a straight choice I'd far rather he left AG than Pitman.

Whether there's any truth in this or not it really pees me off that Pitman gets so few opportunities at AG that he is likely to be linked with other clubs.

Bournemouth may well have a bit of money with the new Russian co owner; Pitman, or more likely his wife, may be homesick and he's barely featuring for City so just maybe there's some truth in it.

The one obvious thing against it is he hasn't failed to make the step up to the Championship by any means, so doesn't need to revert to a lower level.

My bet is at least a dozen Championship clubs would be interested in Pitman, especially all those who haven't got a striker on their books who could match his total for last season.

If City were to lose Pitman for ANY reason it would be a shocking mistake, he's clearly a potential top scorer in this division.

He must have some regrets about his decision to join City at the expense of other (higher placed) clubs when he has proved himself by scoring goals consistently in the Championship when chosen but has still not consolidated a first team place. His career is simply not progressing at AG and he must wonder if it ever will.

Best thing would be if we get a good fee for NM asap - if it comes to a straight choice I'd far rather he left AG than Pitman.

Totally correct. Pitman is the superior striker to Maynard and you can only sympathise with him, when considering the lack of oppurtunities he has got here. His goals to minute ratio is fantastic and the amount of sub appearances he has made, makes him look a far worse player than he truthfully is.

The only reason Maynard is playing ahead of Pitman is becuase he has a bit more pace.

Maybe we should chant his name more to let him know our thoughts?

YEP!...loved it when Brett was getting all the noise at the end of the Millen era...Being a Bournemouth Boy kinda have a softspot for him (not in a wierd way)...but this lad is quality and is the best goalscorer we have!

He's got 18 months left on his contract, I'm the the club won't sell him before the NM situation is sorted one way or another. Think they learnt from the Lita/Heffernan saga many years ago.

Totally correct. Pitman is the superior striker to Maynard and you can only sympathise with him, when considering the lack of oppurtunities he has got here. His goals to minute ratio is fantastic and the amount of sub appearances he has made, makes him look a far worse player than he truthfully is.

The only reason Maynard is playing ahead of Pitman is becuase he has a bit more pace.

Bit of a contradiction in your first and last sentences.

Maynard is the superior footballer. Has superior energy, pace, defensive ability and has the best goalscoring record throughout his career.

Pitman is marginally the better finisher and is far better in the air but offers next to nothing in terms of closing down and defending from the front.

If we play pitman were gonna need to change our shape and have someone else up there to do the donkey work he is too lazy, unfit or slow (I wouldn't want to choose which of those options it is) to do.

If we have to put more forward (Albert would be the obvious choice) then we would sacrifice our defensive strength that has seen us almost impenetrable since McInnes came in...

Maynard is absolutely VITAL to how our season has turned around. Pitman is a great asset but I do not see him as a lone striker at all.

Maynard is the superior footballer. Has superior energy, pace, defensive ability and has the best goalscoring record throughout his career.

Pitman is marginally the better finisher and is far better in the air but offers next to nothing in terms of closing down and defending from the front.

If we play pitman were gonna need to change our shape and have someone else up there to do the donkey work he is too lazy, unfit or slow (I wouldn't want to choose which of those options it is) to do.

If we have to put more forward (Albert would be the obvious choice) then we would sacrifice our defensive strength that has seen us almost impenetrable since McInnes came in...

Maynard is absolutely VITAL to how our season has turned around. Pitman is a great asset but I do not see him as a lone striker at all.

Spot on analysis.........Mcinnes sees Pitman and Maynard in training everyday........I think we should trust in the boss as to who is preferred.

I don't see that as necessarily a contradiction. IMO Pitman reacts quicker than Maynard, so although if they were running for bus then Nicky might get there before Brett, when it goes to reading a cross or pass for a goal scoring opportunity then my money would be on BP getting there first.

I'm puzzled by the claim that NM offers more in defending and closing down from the front. Myself and those around me on saturday were often wondering why he was doing hardly any closing down, and this lack of chasing down the defenders or goalie is not for the first this season either.

You say he is vital to how our season has turned round and of course he has scored some very important goals. However it is impossible to know whether BP, given the same amount of playing time, would also have made a vital contribution.

In my view from what I've seen of both players BP looks more of a goal scoring threat than NM. He is stronger, offers more of a physical presence, can head the ball and is sharper in and around the box.

Nicky had a tremendous season when he bagged 20 or so goals, but since his injury, for whatever reason he is just not getting the goals "out of nothing", which was the one thing which really got him noticed as a bit special. I've got nothing against him personally and I would like for him to sign a new contract, but on what I've seen so far this season I think BP is extremely unlucky in not getting more of a chance to prove people like me, and those who share my view,that we are either right or wrong.

Would be a disaster if Brett left, and then Nicky at the end of the season.

Personally I believe that Pitman is the better striker, he scores goals that come from nothing (Away at Watford last season). I have to agree that he does seem a bit unfit/slow at times, however he makes up with it with powerful shots, good distribution and awareness. His off the ball movement is great in the box to lose his defender. While Maynard seems uninterested at times, looking isolated upfront at boro and needing another forward alongside him.

I will agree that Maynard is a top player, though he seems to have lost the goal out of nothing talent that he had a few seasons ago (before his injury) for instance that cracker against the toon... I still cannot believe we turned down £7mill, I would have taken £5m.

Brett scored a respectable 13 goals in his first season in the championship, while Maynard bagged 11.

I also noticed that on twitter Pitman posted after the Boro game that he had a meal with Shaun Cooper (Bournemouth defender), reading in to it a lot it could suggest he wanted to talk to an old mate about returning. I often watch Brett's reaction to match incidents on the bench, lets just say he never really looks chuffed about not starting... Very miserable.

Pace doesn't make a striker though and I was implying that it'ss the reason I believe Millen/Del Boy etc are picking him ahead of Brett which is totally unfair when I personally believe he's the better striker out of the two.

Anyway I hope we play Nicky and Brett against Derby as now the team has alot more confidence than they did under Millen, it'll be extremely difficult for any opposition defence to play against Albert, Brett and Nicky all at once. Perfect time to test this theory against an out of form Derby side.

Yeah I agree, Maynard can drift into a more attackive midfield position to get the ball.

While Brett is more dangerous in the final third.

It would be bad if either left, though as Nicky looks like he is leaving you have to stop messing Pitman around. Mcinnes needs to sit Maynard down and ask him straight, 'do you see yourself at bcfc next year, yes or no?' And if no play Pitman because you will have him for the long run.

He has been messed around a lot. He was signed as a starting striker who turned down Premier league football (with Blackpool) for us. He was played at LAM with Millen?!? And now sits on the bench.

He has every right to leave, I just hope he keeps faith.

I don't see that as necessarily a contradiction. IMO Pitman reacts quicker than Maynard, so although if they were running for bus then Nicky might get there before Brett, when it goes to reading a cross or pass for a goal scoring opportunity then my money would be on BP getting there first.

I'm puzzled by the claim that NM offers more in defending and closing down from the front. Myself and those around me on saturday were often wondering why he was doing hardly any closing down, and this lack of chasing down the defenders or goalie is not for the first this season either.

You say he is vital to how our season has turned round and of course he has scored some very important goals. However it is impossible to know whether BP, given the same amount of playing time, would also have made a vital contribution.

In my view from what I've seen of both players BP looks more of a goal scoring threat than NM. He is stronger, offers more of a physical presence, can head the ball and is sharper in and around the box.

Nicky had a tremendous season when he bagged 20 or so goals, but since his injury, for whatever reason he is just not getting the goals "out of nothing", which was the one thing which really got him noticed as a bit special. I've got nothing against him personally and I would like for him to sign a new contract, but on what I've seen so far this season I think BP is extremely unlucky in not getting more of a chance to prove people like me, and those who share my view,that we are either right or wrong.

It's a contradiction to claim that Brett is better and then give a valid reason (an area where Maynard is superior) why Brett has been overlooked. His additional pace and off the ball workrate are such that McInnes has started him in every game. I think Derek has already proven he is knowledgeable about football...

With all due respect, Maynard has always closed the ball down, since the day he signed. On Saturday there wasn't as much as usual for sure, but that was the case across the entire team and I can't help but think that Derek was happy to allow the boro players to have the ball on their back three. Even so, Maynard's contribution defensively could be as bad as you are making out and still overshadow that of Brett by some way.

My statement was more to do with Maynard's contribution to our style of play since McInnes came in. Closing down off the ball and hassling with Marvin and Maynard in particular chasing down the opposition. I am of the opinion that this side of our game has contributed massively to our solidity in defence. I would hazard a guess that since McInnes came in our defence have been under less pressure throughout games. Pitman, cracking player that he is, would not offer that aspect to our play. Defending from the front is not something Brett is capable of doing.

I think you've completely forgotten the goals Maynard scored at the end of last season following his injury. Some could possibly argue that his return to form saved us from an uncomfortable end to the season last year.. A year where Pitman frequently led the line...

I rate Brett massively. He has scored some great goals and is a really likeable player too. I just don't see him offering as much to this system as Maynard. This system has got us out of the bottom three having been adrift at the bottom only 7 games ago... Hard to argue that the system should change and likewise it is hard to argue that the better suited striker to he formation should be dropped in favour of a completely different player.

There is much more to football than simply sticking the ball in the net, I fear that if Pitman was played in the same formation as Maynard has played then our defence would be under much more pressure and regardless of the amount of goals Pitman scored it would be quite probable that we had conceded more too.

It's just my take on the striker situation of course, it seems McInnes agrees to an extent at the moment in time too.

To be honest mate, I seem to remember that all the games that Maynard came back for after his injury were tap-ins? Even Bas Savage would have managed not to have fallen over for a few of them...

(obviously, a goal is a goal on paper... from anywhere on the pitch) but I dont remember many 'wonder goals' at the end of last season,

except Clarkys lop over chris weale ahah

To be honest mate, I seem to remember that all the games that Maynard came back for after his injury were tap-ins? Even Bas Savage would have managed not to have fallen over for a few of them...

(obviously, a goal is a goal on paper... from anywhere on the pitch) but I dont remember many 'wonder goals' at the end of last season,

except Clarkys lop over chris weale ahah

But one of the things Pitman is supposedly superior at is finding space in the box. There is no such thing as a tap in... The work to get into a position to score said tap in is always overlooked.

I also seem to remember pitman and stead were scoring regularly (pitman moreso) when we had our first run of good form last year to get us out of the brown stuff. People often overlook that, if he hadn't been scoring then, maynard's 7 goals would probably not of counted for much. And he knows how to convert a penalty, unlike some.

I do happen to think maynard is a better option in this formation than pitman. But as we have not seen pitman given a chance we do not know what he could do. So it is all ifs and buts at this point.

But one of the things Pitman is supposedly superior at is finding space in the box. There is no such thing as a tap in... The work to get into a position to score said tap in is always overlooked.

Pitman has far better movement in the box than maynard. He ghosts, maynard 9 times out of 10 you know exactly what he is going to do, and so does the defender. Pitman is far more intelligent and makes space and runs that maynard would only hope to make.

The mistake people make with maynard is giving him time and space outside the box, where he can shoot or use that 5 yard burst of pace that gets him space.

Archived