IGNORED

Carey Out On Loan

madmax

David James has spent the best part of 20 years in the Premier League and international set up, working under some of the best coaches around. Its probably also not unfair to say that he comes across as considerably more intelligent than the average footballer. So I don't see how its strange that anyone would want him as coach, especially compared to someone like Carey.

James is the only BCFC player I'd want in my pub quiz team BUT do you have to be an intellectual to be a good coach? You certainly don't to be a good manager. You need football intelligence, a certain street cunning, charisma and forcefulness - which isn't the same thing.

This isn't a 'make Louis a coach' post. It's a 'Jammo wont necessarily make it as a coach no matter how many PL games he's played' post.

Carey could play 700 games for City, however to succeed as a coach with our junior teams, match time is not the main criterion'

Its all about communication, communication and more communication.

Some of the best players in the world have extraordinary talent, but how do you transfer that to other players. You don't, players either have talent or they don't.

Carey needs to get his badges and actually give some indication that he is GOOD at installing basic skills to younger players, indeed any players.

He cant just have money thrown at him and be told here's a coaching job, because you've played a lot of games.

Carey could be a dreadful motivator and communicator, the youngsters may dislike him, there are lots of issues involved.

Let him qualify for a coaching job, let him be judged on his communication skills, his ability to teach. These are the issues to be considered.

Carey could play 700 games for City, however to succeed as a coach with our junior teams, match time is not the main criterion'

Some of the best players in the world have extraordinary talent, but how do you transfer that to other players. You don't, players either have talent or they don't.

Carey needs to get his badges and actually give some indication that he is GOOD at installing basic skills to younger players, indeed any players.

He cant just have money thrown at him and be told here's a coaching job, because you've played a lot of games.

Carey could be a dreadful motivator and communicator, the youngsters may dislike him, there are lots of issues involved.

Let him qualify for a coaching job, let him be judged on his communication skills, his ability to teach. These are the issues to be considered.

Carey is not owed anything, true. To that point, why is Scott Murray still at the club? Bloody sponge.

What a pratish statement IMO Scott Murray used to train the kids on an evening for NO MONEY....

He also does a lot for the local kids football

He is an example of how a pro should behave. He used to drive the same old yellow megane ( yuk ) for years. You never used to see him turn up in a baby bently being happy to just sit on the bench picking up a wage.

He is in the marketing dept hardly milking a big wage out of the club...... if you want to call someone a sponge then there are many others ahead of Murray in the q

What a pratish statement IMO Scott Murray used to train the kids on an evening for NO MONEY....

He is an example of how a pro should behave. He used to drive the same old yellow megane ( yuk ) for years. You never used to see him turn up in a baby bently being happy to just sit on the bench picking up a wage.

He is in the marketing dept hardly milking a big wage out of the club...... if you want to call someone a sponge then there are many others ahead of Murray in the q

+ 1

He's on the minimum wage, and due to his legend status at City is a great asset to the Commercial Office.

shouldn't be questioning super scott he is a great assit to the club and isn't offically on the coaching staff,

He works part time in the marketing department on minimum wage hardly sponging,

He always gives his time up when AG is rented out to play and plays the whole match 3 or 4 times a day while its on,

If carey did somthing like what super scott does then I have no problem but to go onto the coaching staff just because you've played 500 games for the club no thanks we need to get away from that big time!

Totallly agree - he does loads for this club..

Carey is not owed anything, true. To that point, why is Scott Murray still at the club? Bloody sponge.

What a stupid thing to say. Murray has always been dedicated to the club and isn't exactly getting rich by working in the commercial department... He loves the club and therefore took any job available which would allow him to stay part of it.

Louis Carey should plunge his hand into a bucket of water.

The hole thats left when he removes it is a measure of how much he will be missed.

That's a disgraceful thing to write about someone who has been with us for the vast majority of his career and is second in our all-time appearances.

How short are some people's memories of times where Louis was the best player on the pitch for us, how his tackling and bravery saved our bacon.

Now it's time for him to leave, but that doesn't mean any disrespect for someone who is still a very fair player for his age and is a friendly, funny and laid-back chap.

That's a disgraceful thing to write about someone who has been with us for the vast majority of his career and is second in our all-time appearances.

How short are some people's memories of times where Louis was the best player on the pitch for us, how his tackling and bravery saved our bacon.

Now it's time for him to leave, but that doesn't mean any disrespect for someone who is still a very fair player for his age and is a friendly, funny and laid-back chap.

Spot on. The term Legend is easily rolled off the tongue these days but I genuinely think he is a club legend. 500+ appearences, been with this club through thick and thin and stepped over that white line and always gave 110% for the shirt. He was a very accomplished player in his prime aswell. When he leaves he'll always be held of high regard by many city fans.

I'm with you on this, and of course what you say applies to any player not just Carey. It's a skill to be able to teach others. You may have all the knowledge and experience but unless you have the personality and ability to get your teachings across you will fail.

Regarding ex players, sometimes, well mostly, I think we just have to say thank you and let them go. I think it's easy to forget that when they join, or break into the first team, they are the one's taking 'someone elses' place. I'm sure thay are happy to do that.

And as for Scott Murray he is a huge asset to the club with what he does for the youngsters. I'm sure he gives far, far, more than any wage he is paid. We are very fortunate to have him and he has the perfect personality for the role. I've never, ever heard, or seen, a bad word spoken or written about him, that in itself should tell us something.

A harsh post l'll agree, but let's remember he has been paid handsomely for his time at BCFC. Let's not forget that he did move to Coventry for a better contract (and to try himself at a higher level no doubt), so the loyalty thing can only go so far.

I an interested that for a player who was in my eyes pretty consistent and competent throughout his career, he never appeared to attract much interest from other clubs (except the above, which was years ago).

Perhaps that's why he stayed at BCFC?

A harsh post l'll agree, but let's remember he has been paid handsomely for his time at BCFC. Let's not forget that he did move to Coventry for a better contract (and to try himself at a higher level no doubt), so the loyalty thing can only go so far.

I an interested that for a player who was in my eyes pretty consistent and competent throughout his career, he never appeared to attract much interest from other clubs (except the above, which was years ago).

Wrong...LC didn't want to leave the club to join Coventry. But at the time he wasn't one of the top wage earners. The club brought in players who went straight on more money than him. As he was then our club captain and probably our best player week in week out, he deserved to be on the top wages. At the time I didn't blame him for wanting to move on, but his heart was always with BCFC. His heart wasn't in at Coventry so he wanted to come back, that to me proves that money wasn't the major factor in his career.

my memory isn't great but weren't Coventry in the league above us at the time? really don't see why people are so sour for him wanting to better himself on a personal level espcially spending so long stuck in the same league with City(then Div2).

As for becoming a coach at city if he starts at the bottom and Del wants him to stay on then I'm happy but like others have said he shouldn't just breeze into a coaching post just because he has been here for so long.

Wrong...LC didn't want to leave the club to join Coventry. But at the time he wasn't one of the top wage earners. The club brought in players who went straight on more money than him. As he was then our club captain and probably our best player week in week out, he deserved to be on the top wages. At the time I didn't blame him for wanting to move on, but his heart was always with BCFC. His heart wasn't in at Coventry so he wanted to come back, that to me proves that money wasn't the major factor in his career.

Yep, Peter Beadle and Lee Matthews for two, and when they write the history of BCFC, unlike Carey with 500+ games those 2 won't even merit a comma, let alone a mention.

I think Louis has been a great servant and as the second highest appearance maker of all time, is definitely a City legend, but I don't subscribe to the view he should have a coaching role and he isn't worth a playing contract any longer, sadly.

Well he did reject a contract from us and accepted there.

And he was in and out of their team, it wasn't that his heart wasn't there.

I know Louis in two capacities. One as player for the team I support and have followed for nearly all of my life, and secondly as a good friend of my daughter's ex partner.

As a player he has been a fantastic servant to the club, is a quality defender and could still successfully fill the RB or CD position IMO and has been a great captain.

Off the field he is a very friendly and likeable character and those who know him enjoy his company and grately value his friendship, He is a very down to earth and approachable guy with a great sense of humor and has not let his success change him from the person he was before he became a well paid pro.

If he is off on loan it probably means he has little chance of playing again for the club he loves and supports. So I wish him well and I'm sure he will be a success where ever he goes until he decides to retire.

Well they are all paid pretty well aren't they? dunno.gif

I don't give a monkeys about how much Carey has done for the club in the past, he's been well paid for it so let's not get all sentimental

A good player and a loyal servant but time to move on

He'd add something to Exeter I think

But I do not want City to fill the space left by Walsh by another over the hill player kept on due to false sentiment

Bristol City is a business, not a charity. I wouldn't expect my employers to offer me a job when I was no longer needed in my current role.

James is the only BCFC player I'd want in my pub quiz team BUT do you have to be an intellectual to be a good coach? You certainly don't to be a good manager. You need football intelligence, a certain street cunning, charisma and forcefulness - which isn't the same thing.

This isn't a 'make Louis a coach' post. It's a 'Jammo wont necessarily make it as a coach no matter how many PL games he's played' post.

I've got no idea whether Louis would make a good coach or not, so I reserve judgement. If Del thinks he has the right characteristics then I back his judgement, if not then respect for his years of service and move on.

I'm more than a bit bemused though at your assessment of 'football intelligence'. To me this means for example an ape like Wayne Rooney has a brilliant brain at making snap judgements on the pitch, seeing things faster than others; yet wouldn't offer you much help on Sudoku for beginners.

I agree that intelligence does not equal football management success, but it is the one thing that great managers such as Wenger, Ferguson and Mourinho have in common. Kevin Keegan, Paul Gascoigne and Graeme Sounness tick all of your 4 magic boxes, but haven't quite matched Bob Paisley's managerial record! (In fact if you want a few good (intelligent) quotes look on here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Paisley)

In summary, will James make a good coach... I don't know. Has he got the right experience, passion and INTELLIGENCE... he's in with a shot!

I'm more than a bit bemused though at your assessment of 'football intelligence'. To me this means for example an ape like Wayne Rooney has a brilliant brain at making snap judgements on the pitch, seeing things faster than others; yet wouldn't offer you much help on Sudoku for beginners.

I agree that intelligence does not equal football management success, but it is the one thing that great managers such as Wenger, Ferguson and Mourinho have in common. Kevin Keegan, Paul Gascoigne and Graeme Sounness tick all of your 4 magic boxes, but haven't quite matched Bob Paisley's managerial record! (In fact if you want a few good (intelligent) quotes look on here - http://en.wikipedia....iki/Bob_Paisley)

In summary, will James make a good coach... I don't know. Has he got the right experience, passion and INTELLIGENCE... he's in with a shot!

Clough, Ramsay, Shankley and indeed Ferguson don't exactly strike me as the academic types - but they clearly all had/have what it takes.

The point I was making was if IQ made a good manager Stephen Fry would be at Man City. It's a different sort of intelligence that makes it in football, coupled with a natural ability in leadership that no Fifa coaching badge can give you.

Plenty of people with oodles of PL experience have flopped hopelessly as managers - it means nowt.

I'd be surprised if James made it as either a coach (how can you coach would-be keepers when you can't kick the ball well yourself?) or in management.

But as an articulate, thoughtful guy, I think he'd make a great pundit.

Clough, Ramsay, Shankley and indeed Ferguson don't exactly strike me as the academic types - but they clearly all had/have what it takes.

The point I was making was if IQ made a good manager Stephen Fry would be at Man City. It's a different sort of intelligence that makes it in football, coupled with a natural ability in leadership that no Fifa coaching badge can give you.

Plenty of people with oodles of PL experience have flopped hopelessly as managers - it means nowt.

I'd be surprised if James made it as either a coach (how can you coach would-be keepers when you can't kick the ball well yourself?) or in management.

But as an articulate, thoughtful guy, I think he'd make a great pundit.

Agree with everything you've said. It takes a combination of attributes, as well as a little bit of luck, to make a good manager. I just don't think 'football intelligence' as commonly defined has anything to do with it. IQ =/ management success (as with most things in life)... but like in life it's a half decent proxy.

Archived