IGNORED

Greatest Own Goal Ever

The Batman

My favourite own goal memory is one that I've never actually seen..... Years ago when I was a nipper, I used to read Match magazine (once got a letter in there with my request for a poster of Super Bob!). Their results section used to include goal descriptions as well as the usual player ratings and one Sag match (I think it was possibly away at Port Vale) saw Ian Alexander score an own goal (clearly wasn't just after playing us otherwise he would've been suspended!), which was described as "Under no pressure, Ian Alexander lobbed his own keeper from 30 yards"!!! Priceless and still sticks in my mind all these years later, bizarrely!

That Merrick goal was amazing; he pushed two players out of the way before leaping through the air to head past Cashley.

Sometime between 1969 & 71 Ken Wimshurst scored an OG at Ninnian Park................................................. from the half way line!

Did Ray Atteveld score an own goal volley against Millwall once?

It didn't actually go in. It was a good 3 or 4 yards the right side of the line. Shame the ref and linesman were so inept, It's about all old ray is remembered for at city, which is unfortunate :laugh:.

Maybe my memory isn't what it was but I could have swore it went in, It was at the other end of the ground though. I do remember having to walk down that narrow path between ground and houses then out past the bicycle barriers out onto the road one at a time to the waiting Millwall fans :(

It did go in, at the original Den v Millwall. Not only did it go in but it did so without touching the ground. Keepers hands, flick on, swivelling volley backpass, lobs the keepr and bingo, the most surreal own goal you could see.

I am 99% certain it went over the keeper hit the bar, came back about 3 yards into the box. I remember the replays from htv west. Hmm now I'll have to see if I can find some footage as you have me doubting myself :laugh:

That Merrick goal was amazing; he pushed two players out of the way before leaping through the air to head past Cashley.

Sometime between 1969 & 71 Ken Wimshurst scored an OG at Ninnian Park................................................. from the half way line!

that whole game still gives me the shivers. i was bristol born and bred but my dad came from wrexham. he took me and my 2 brothers. i remember telling him on the way to the game he was going to see a first division team play a little third division team and not get upset. it finished 4-4 and back to the racecourse on the tues where the feeling was we could,nt play that bad again. we we,re right we were worse lost 3-0 and bobby shinton missed 2 pens. how i wished the plauges of soddom and gomorah on wrexham and it breaks my heart to see them where they are now. i,m now 48 and dad 75 and he just brought his first ever season ticket for the city this year but still knows which buttons tp press. sorry for boring you

Archived