IGNORED

Football League Show To Be Axed

WRERE

Hopefully this means sky will bring back their football league highlights show on a Monday night, was a vastly superior programme.

Seems strange to me, they can afford 3 days solid of royal ascott coverage which lets face it **** all people care about, yet 90 minutes of football league highlights are too much?

Probably axing it because of low viewing figures. That said, they only have themselves to blame by broadcasting it so late at night. It would attract far larger viewing figures on BBC2 on sunday morning or afternoon.

Spot on, was doomed to failure right from the start

And unless you are one of the Championship 'big boys' then there's no point watching anyway. Rarely watch it, so no great loss for me

Good glad to se the back of it, second rate show, by the now second rate BBC, as for Claridge and co, no comment. :winner_third_h4h:

Exactly, sky beats anything the bbc produce, it annoys me I have to pay £12 a month to the bbc as they have nothing I want to watch or listen to bar motd and even then I still end up watching the superior sky highlights package!

I don't have Sky, but have to say the the itv Championship programme was much better. FLS was on too late, I always recorded it and felt that they crammed too much in.

Football rights probably cost more than racing or other sports. I hate Sky and what has happened to televised footie

I hate Sky and what has happened to televised footie

Sky's sports coverage, and I mean all the sports they cover is top drawer and the footie in particular makes the BBC look amateur. Sky's cricket and darts coverage is fantastic as well and I'd be happy to watch all my sport on Sky.

I hear the argument about the cost ect, but for just a about a pound a day its well worth it imo.

As crap as it was, for those of us without Sky (ie the majority of the UK population), it will be a loss.

I refuse to pay £30+ a month to Rupert Murdoch. He can stick that up his geriatric arse as far as I'm concerned.

As the Beeb has paid for the rights to show League highlights, hopefully they will find a better format in which to showcase these.

Sky's sports coverage, and I mean all the sports they cover is top drawer and the footie in particular makes the BBC look amateur. Sky's cricket and darts coverage is fantastic as well and I'd be happy to watch all my sport on Sky.

I hear the argument about the cost ect, but for just a about a pound a day its well worth it imo.

100% agree nothing comes close to sky when it comes to football coverage.

100% agree nothing comes close to sky when it comes to football coverage.

Thats because their entire sports budget depends almost solely on subscriptions which is 99% for the Premier League and football league. Thats a huge budget for football alone. If it wasnt top draw it would be very surprising.

The BBC has to cater for drama, current affairs, comedy etc, all of which are far superior to anything on Sky 1 or 2 which is mostly dross. MOD is BBC flagship - and its good (far better than ITV's attempt) but they obviously dont give a fig for the football league - which is a miscalculation cos a lot of people do.

Thats because their entire sports budget depends almost solely on subscriptions which is 99% for the Premier League and football league. Thats a huge budget for football alone. If it wasnt top draw it would be very surprising.

The BBC has to cater for drama, current affairs, comedy etc, all of which are far superior to anything on Sky 1 or 2 which is mostly dross. MOD is BBC flagship - and its good (far better than ITV's attempt) but they obviously dont give a fig for the football league - which is a miscalculation cos a lot of people do.

Very true - I don't give a four x for the likes of Man U etc, but obviously some do. The BBC do seem to forget the proper football that goes on all around the country.

I must be the only one who enjoyed it then. Its not just about City but the other football league teams. Shame I think. Even if you didn't catch it that evening you could watch it on iplayer.

Not just you Badger 8 mate. I will miss the show aswell. Shame it's coming to an end. I'm a Championship, league 1, 2, supporter far from a Premier League supporter.

Not just you Badger 8 mate. I will miss the show aswell. Shame it's coming to an end. I'm a Championship, league 1, 2, supporter far from a Premier League supporter.

Football league weekend is a very good show and so is netbusters. Sky isn't just about the Premier League.

Having posted on this thread earlier, I have now read the Mirror article (and the Mail one that plagiarizes it!) and it's all down to the word of some "BBC Sport insider" - so in other word, it's a rumour the Mirror is running as fact.

With the budget pressures I wouldn't at all be surprised if it DID happen, but nothing's been decided as yet. Of course, if BBC Sport didn't pay huge salaries to the likes of Hansen, Shearer (surely Britain's worst pundit) and Lineker et al then maybe the show would be under no pressure.

Much of the reason that Sky's footie in particular is so good is the quality of the commentators, hosts and pundits. That same applies to the cricket. The BBC have had the bland Gary Lineker with the same dreary pundits in Lawrenson and Hanson or the even duller Alan Shearer on most weeks. Only Lee Dixon is worth listening to. Having decent pundits must be within the Beeb's budget but they stick with the same core people and tired format. If Sky were producing MOTD it would be far superior to what the BBC serve up.

As crap as it was, for those of us without Sky (ie the majority of the UK population), it will be a loss.

I refuse to pay £30+ a month to Rupert Murdoch. He can stick that up his geriatric arse as far as I'm concerned.

As the Beeb has paid for the rights to show League highlights, hopefully they will find a better format in which to showcase these.

Will Murdoch miss your £30 a month ?? absolutely not. Will you miss Top Quality Premier League matches week in week out, Great upto date sports news coverage, brilliant cricket coverage not to mention the darts and soon to be Formula one (which im not happy about thought bbc's coverage was great).

I hate murdoch as much as anyone else and respect your decison to not give him your money but i just think your the only one getting punished. I certaintly couldnt live without my sky sports package, when the misses trys telling me we have to get rid of it ill kick her in the face.

Will Murdoch miss your £30 a month ?? absolutely not. Will you miss Top Quality Premier League matches week in week out, Great upto date sports news coverage, brilliant cricket coverage not to mention the darts and soon to be Formula one (which im not happy about thought bbc's coverage was great).

I hate murdoch as much as anyone else and respect your decison to not give him your money but i just think your the only one getting punished. I certaintly couldnt live without my sky sports package, when the misses trys telling me we have to get rid of it ill kick her in the face.

I'm in a house with three women, mate. Outnumbered. laughcont.gif

More to the point, I don't really have more than a passing interest in the Prem. Be nice to see more football, but I wouldn't get my money's worth.

As for darts, I can watch the BDO and see a tournament open to grassroots players from anywhere - an FA Cup if you like, where minnows can come through and make their mark. The PDC, it has Britain's greatest player signed up, but I detest Barry Hearn almost as much as the Murdochs.

Whilst it had it's obvious flaws it was a lot better than The Championship on ITV. I'm not overly surprised by the decision (if true), I assume ITV will pick up where it left off with appalling coverage and even worse punditry.

I agree. The ITV coverage was even more appaling than the Beebs. All they cared about were teams or players that had once graced the Premier League. It was like watching sad groupies. Truly, truly sad and really irritating at the same time. I cant forget Matt the @w@t,s cooing as he talked about some Bradford player who had once scored a goal against Man Utd - 4 seasons ago. The bias towards former prem teams was complete. It was because thay had no Prem highlights I think.

Archived