IGNORED

Football League Show To Be Axed

WRERE

Wow! Amazed how many people dislike the show, very disapointing,

Perhaps they hate being able to see the goals from the days game that very evening on Free-to-Air TV at a regular slot and would much rather go back to the Days of Jed Pitman Sunday Afternoon's on ITV, as and when ITV can fit it around repeats of Bond Films and You've been framed

In the 60s & 70s BBC's MOTD would show two games; 1 from the 1st Div and the 2nd from anywhere played that day so if two of the top teams in Div 4 were playing that would be shown as it was literally Match of the Day. ITV was still a collevction of regional companies and would show three local games in the afternoon. Except HTV of course that showed us the London games - even when Anglia were showing Luton 1 Bristol City 3.

Then in the 80s ITV abandoned joint discussions and bought up exclusive rights to the entire Football League. Every week they would broadcast one from six big teams of that time; Spurs, Arsenal, Forest, Liverpool, Everton or Man U and if two of those were playing each other that was the game. ITV argued those were the clubs people wanted to watch.

Sky then offered more money for games than the terrestial companies and in1992 the then 1st Div broke away to form the Prem. 1st game they showed was Man C v QPR and it was on Monday night. Both managers complained that the rest of the League kicked off at 3.00pm Saturday whilst they had to wait to Monday night. The clubs then realised what they had signed up to. 5 years later Man C & QPR met for a 3rd Div, sorry League 2 fixture and that made me smile.

I can only assume the BBC pundits and production team STILL assume everyone only wants to see the big teams and that infuences their decisions.

I really like the 'Football league show'. I couldn't really care less about 'Match of the day'. I don't really understand the interest in the Premier League. If the 'City' were there then that would be different, but why the interest in Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool etc? Are they interested in us? No.

I would much rather watch teams at our level (teams we play), and teams at a lower level, I find it interesting.

Much of the reason that Sky's footie in particular is so good is the quality of the commentators, hosts and pundits. That same applies to the cricket. The BBC have had the bland Gary Lineker with the same dreary pundits in Lawrenson and Hanson or the even duller Alan Shearer on most weeks. Only Lee Dixon is worth listening to. Having decent pundits must be within the Beeb's budget but they stick with the same core people and tired format. If Sky were producing MOTD it would be far superior to what the BBC serve up.

I don't think Sky's coverage is superior at all to be honest. Souness and J Redknapp? Do me a favour.

Glad I don't pay £50 a month for that sh1t.

Except HTV of course that showed us the London games - even when Anglia were showing Luton 1 Bristol City 3.

Indeed, HTV (Harlech Television) were a disgrace and they always showed Swinedon Town in preference to us and the Gas even though Swinedon weren't even in the HTV remit area. HTV were by far the worst of ITVs regional companies, not just for football but for programme production as well with Bristol being totally under represented on the ITV network as a result.

It's not the best programme by a long shot, but I'd much rather watch that than pay £30-40 to Murdoch to watch the Sky League. Anyone would think that top flight football didn't exist before the 90's they way Sky present there show. The funny thing is, the old 1st division had much more European success without their money. Even funnier is the best players choose to play in other leagues and the best teams aren't even English. They'd have you believe by calling it a Super Sunday game it's somehow superior to the football pre 1990. Shame that it was on so late and that cock Claridge presented it..

I switched on Sky last night for Celtic - Rangers. Three hours for a 90 minute match.

Why do pundits & studio experts need so much time to firstly set the scene and then tell us what we have seen?

But you had the choice of not watching the other 90 minutes. Not sure what the problem is - many people like the build up and aftermath. I always watch it when we are on.

For all the glitz and glamour Sky give it, it's always a football match that's played. You would never have thought a North London derby had ever taken place before Sky got involved such is the outpouring of razzamatazz. Billing it as a must win game in Late August or giving football teams a nickname they never had before. This hasn't quite got down to the football league yet thankfully, but the prices have. That's why even though the Footbal League show is a bit crap and on at a stupid time, at least the teams on the programme are free of Sky bullshit, and they don't need an hour long introduction, it's football highlights without the glamour, and I like it that way. I don't need the thrill of knowing how Nicky Maynard managed to get into the position for that brilliant goal against QPR, It doesn't need the dotted line marking out his run, it doesn't need the straight yellow line to see if he was onside or off in slow mo, nobody watches in slowmotion anyway so its pointless.I can tell it was a great goal. I just need to watch the key points of the game, the goals the yellows the reds, the managers view at the start and end, it's not much to ask for. The programme needs to be on BBC2 Sunday morning for about an hour and a half. There's some good players in the lower leagues, they need a platform which is sadly being taken away.

Not just you Badger 8 mate. I will miss the show aswell. Shame it's coming to an end. I'm a Championship, league 1, 2, supporter far from a Premier League supporter.

Sorry i don't see why people think its rubbish its a good comprehensive highlights programme for me, the timing is far too late so its always on record but (bar maybe a BBC 2 Sunday am repeat) I don't see how the BBC have much choice on that one, presenters are fine and maybe they do show the 'bigger' teams more on extended highlights i expect that they are bigger teams, overall I think its a good programme.

No surprise it is ended as the BBC contract was finishing, doubt if anyone else will come in, it will just be purely Sky which is excellent and throughly worth the outlay in my opinion.

As crap as it was, for those of us without Sky (ie the majority of the UK population), it will be a loss.

I refuse to pay £30+ a month to Rupert Murdoch. He can stick that up his geriatric arse as far as I'm concerned.

As the Beeb has paid for the rights to show League highlights, hopefully they will find a better format in which to showcase these.

Quite agree, I wont be ringing up Sky any time soon. What a stupid time to put it on in the first place. I'm sure the BBC could bump an episode of bloody Eastenders or give their creative repeats department a day off some time. I couldn't really give a toss about the format. Forget the expensive host and pundit expert at stating the bleedin obvious, just get cameras to the games and show the goals!

It's a very strange program to broadcast. I'm just guessing on anecdotal evidence, but the majority of people switch off after their team is on, and the majority of the viewers will be watching the championship bits too. So you just get this continual drop off of viewers until you end up with one drunk Gashead watching his team being beaten at the end of the show.

I mean they even joke about teams being on last on MOTD, and then follow it with an entire other show about football... Online highlights makes 10x more sense for something so big. And if you want the best BCFC coverage /BCFC Player

Probably axing it because of low viewing figures. That said, they only have themselves to blame by broadcasting it so late at night. It would attract far larger viewing figures on BBC2 on sunday morning or afternoon.

I used to watch it on a Sunday either before or after MOTD whilst up feeding little one. I'd be happy if it was just on then

Quite agree, I wont be ringing up Sky any time soon. What a stupid time to put it on in the first place. I'm sure the BBC could bump an episode of bloody Eastenders or give their creative repeats department a day off some time. I couldn't really give a toss about the format. Forget the expensive host and pundit expert at stating the bleedin obvious, just get cameras to the games and show the goals!

Agree there Sky puts a program on a Monday night every Football league goal is shown in half an hour why the BBC can not do this after Match of the Day on a Sunday morning i do not know, also if you just show the goals you don't get people moaning because there team highlights were only 2 mins long.

I like the show. Best thing to do is record it and skim through the chat. Got to say what are the BBC spending their sports budget on? They have stuffed up the coverage of Formula One by giving it up to Sky and now only showing some live the rest highlights and surprise surprise the best presenters etc naff off to Sky. What is the point. They might as well say we can't be bothered to show any sport we are just going to show Antiques in your loft programs!!! What is that women head of sport actually doing?????

To all the people saying who cares or it was rubbish anyway, tell me what else a lower league fan has to watch? Sky? Not everyone can afford it and more to the point they don't do a round up unless you watch soccer AM and that's just goals.

I liked it because it allowed me to watch the highlights of the league, now it'll be gone and I'll have nothing. P*** poor IMO.

To all the people saying who cares or it was rubbish anyway, tell me what else a lower league fan has to watch? Sky? Not everyone can afford it and more to the point they don't do a round up unless you watch soccer AM and that's just goals.

I liked it because it allowed me to watch the highlights of the league, now it'll be gone and I'll have nothing. P*** poor IMO.

You will still be able to watch the goals online.

You will still be able to watch the goals online.

The goals... Soccer AM covers the goals, it's more than goals I want to see. No matter how you look at it that show was the match of the day for lower leagues... no wonder the gap between the lower leagues and the Prem is so big, the lower leagues get **** all.

The goals... Soccer AM covers the goals, it's more than goals I want to see. No matter how you look at it that show was the match of the day for lower leagues... no wonder the gap between the lower leagues and the Prem is so big, the lower leagues get **** all.

I can't stand the comentators so I watch all the leauge goals on netbusters just tunes and goals.

Archived