IGNORED

Ryan Mgivern

joshbristol

ryan mgivern is a poor lb i really hope we dont sign him and look for another lb in the window he was terrible in southampton and is no improvment to mccalister

Terrible? You must have watched a different game to me then, he certainly offers a hell of a lot more than Macca

Southampton fans appear to rate him on their forum in the two games they've seen him. Me personally I think he's been getting better and better every game and would be delighted if we could sign him permanently as he will only keep improving and theres not a lot out there that would be better.

He didn't have the best game at Southampton, but he had two men overlapping all of the time. He was easily beaten on a number of occasions but like someone else has mentioned he's easily one of the better left backs we've had in a while. I know I keep banging on about it but we really do need to send a scout to watch Scott Malone at Bournemouth. I'm seriously considering writing to Derek about him.

He didn't have the best game at Southampton, but he had two men overlapping all of the time. He was easily beaten on a number of occasions but like someone else has mentioned he's easily one of the better left backs we've had in a while. I know I keep banging on about it but we really do need to send a scout to watch Scott Malone at Bournemouth. I'm seriously considering writing to Derek about him.

Do it - it wont do any harm.

I bet many a player has been picked up over the decades.

Mcgivern isn't amazing... He is average - but that is an improvement on what we had.

The thing that impresses me most about him, is when he gets the ball, he is calm and usually picks out a red shirt....

He rarely lumps it aimlessly - and that is something that was desperately needed from left back

I decided to approve his first post so everyone could set him straight. . .

Might be his first post but its my 2571st and i agree with him! No pace or positional sense, not much of a footballer, occasionally puts in a good ball. Still better the devil you know i suppose and we have other parts of the team to worry about...

He is a reasonable left back imo but really lacks pace and gets caught out a fair bit due to this, on the plus side as said before he is good when in possession and puts in some very good crosses, personally i could see him playing as a centre back rather than full back.

for example look at the southampton game how many times did de ridder and sniederlin beat mgivern he cant defend he cant pass he is awfull at crossing what does he bring to the team.The reason why he joined us was because he was at palace and they obviously did not think he was good enough so did not renew his loan he was awfull poor at leicester and they did not want to renew so why we would we want to buy him

i would rather us sign joe mattock , george friend or martin cranie all decent full backs and would all be intrested in a move to us

Mattock wants to stay at Pompey, Friend is on the bench for Donny but has played a lot for them this season and crainey is playing regularly for Blackpool.

Not much chance of getting any of them and I'm not sure I'd want them, perhaps Crainey but he is In Blackpools first team every week.

ryan mgivern is a poor lb i really hope we dont sign him and look for another lb in the window he was terrible in southampton and is no improvment to mccalister

hes ok, likes to go forward alot but gets caught out quite alot/ but only young so worth keeping in my opinium... :englandsmile4wf:

for example look at the southampton game how many times did de ridder and sniederlin beat mgivern he cant defend he cant pass he is awfull at crossing what does he bring to the team.The reason why he joined us was because he was at palace and they obviously did not think he was good enough so did not renew his loan he was awfull poor at leicester and they did not want to renew so why we would we want to buy him

Bit of a narrow view imo.

McGivern brings height and pace to the back 4. He gets forward very well ( far better than McAllister ) and it was his cross that lead to Elliot's goal at Watford. All full backs get caught out of position at times( Orr was brilliant at it ) because its part of their game to get forward to support the attack. Plus no full back is unbeatable and every so often they come against a winger they find hard to handle. Ask any full back who has come up against Albert this season. All things considered McGivern is a decent player and I would like to see him on a City contract.

He only played 4 games for Palace so I doubt they saw enough of him to form a reliable opinion.

Archived