IGNORED

1982 And How We Felt Then

cheshire_red

It really disgusts me that teams like Man City, Chelsea etc have all this money just poured into the club by rich owners. Money not earned in any way by that Club, and yet they can still sit by and watch a lower league Club go bust.

Clearly previous owners etc are to blame, and why should anyone bail them out, but for the sake of the fans and players who are not at fault, someone in the football league should be saying "ok, lets give them a hand"

I agree someone should help, trouble is if you help one club what stops other clubs getting into trouble and asking for help.

It needs money higher up passed down more fairly, so all teams can have a fair chance. Trouble is what's to stop dodgy owners at any club, to take money from teams. Maybe league should be more strict on owners maybe.

I just realised, through Twitter, that a certain Aaron Brown is currently playing for Darlington for nothing.

Seems to be in financial difficulty too from the looks of his twitter page.

The amount footballers are on, they should know to be sensible with it.

Cant start feeling sorry for players were for probably on grands a week.

Why not? That's **** all for such a short carear

Still a lot of money. Even if you were just on

5k a week for what, at least 10-15 years? Still loads of money. Plus it's not always the end for footballers hen they retire. Most work for UPS driving I hear.

On the other note it's sad to see any football

Club struggling financially.

Although it is annoying when chelsea, man city ect are having money pumped into the club, I can't help but wander if we would complain if someone done the same with us?

Why not? That's **** all for such a short carear

It is a lot actually, even if I just earned 5k a week for a year, hell half a year, I would put myself through college/uni and make sure I had something to always fall back upon.

Literally, you can do whatever you want in life when you earn that sort of money a week for a few years. (Within reason)

Great original post, straight from the heart and makes me hope they pull through.

1982 eh? Standing on a cinder bank at Newport thinking it was the end of the club. A week later a rousing nil nil with Fulham, nine kids, Mick Harford and Jan Moller (?).

Meeting Jimmy Mann in the car park at Scunny.

Happy days

I was there ... who remembers the copper in the middle of the city fans who got his helmet knocked off? Hardest / bravest cop I've ever seen.

Remember it well....stood on that sloping bank behind the goal, loads of gravel all over it, kept slippin + slidin...we genuinely thought it could be our last game but the youngsters done us proud.... :clapping:

People always bang on about 'short careers' as justification for massive salaries.

B****hit - do you think they are all on th dole between 35-65 years of age? They are allowed to get other jobs and careers afterwards. With their huge salaries they can even start new businesses without the need to borrowing etc. They should be set up for life.

Remember it well....stood on that sloping bank behind the goal, loads of gravel all over it, kept slippin + slidin...we genuinely thought it could be our last game but the youngsters done us proud.... :clapping:

Me too. Absolutely persistently with rain. Mick Harford gave me a couple of comps? If I remember rightly we had Mick Harford and Peter Devine up front????

Who remembers Newport away 1-1, January 30th 1982 , we thought it was our last ever match?

In the Autumn of 1981, Chairman Stephen Kewannounced that the club was no longer able to pay the wages of Geoff Merrickand others who had signed long, lucrative contracts during the first divisiondays. The 23,000 attendances of three years ago had dwindled to less than 5,000and the club was in danger of being wound up. Stickers appeared on walls and incars reading "Support Bristol City, now or never!" In February 1982,what was expected to be the club's final game was at Newport County. Hordes ofprogramme collectors descended to buy a copy of what would become a collector'sitem. The national T.V. news showed theequaliser in the 1-1 draw and commentators asked "Will this be BristolCity's last goal?" Noon the following Wednesday was the deadline. At11.55a.m. the players, collectively known as the "Ashton Eight", put the club first and tore up theircontracts.

In the Autumn of 1981, Chairman Stephen Kewannounced that the club was no longer able to pay the wages of Geoff Merrickand others who had signed long, lucrative contracts during the first divisiondays. The 23,000 attendances of three years ago had dwindled to less than 5,000and the club was in danger of being wound up. Stickers appeared on walls and incars reading "Support Bristol City, now or never!" In February 1982,what was expected to be the club's final game was at Newport County. Hordes ofprogramme collectors descended to buy a copy of what would become a collector'sitem. The national T.V. news showed theequaliser in the 1-1 draw and commentators asked "Will this be BristolCity's last goal?" Noon the following Wednesday was the deadline. At11.55a.m. the players, collectively known as the "Ashton Eight", put the club first and tore up theircontracts.

I remember listening to Radio Bristol in a physics lesson on that Wednesday and with the contracts still not torn up,they played '7 Tears' by the Goombay Dance Band.By the time the song finished we had a team to carry on supporting. Ain't got a clue what the next song was 'cos the physics teacher was leading a conga round his room,(Stand up Mr.Smith at Bemmy Down). Anyhow,that Darlington fan brought it all back,good luck to 'em.

Would be interesting to know the way that decison was taken. Did they have advisors? Hard to believe any director with a bone were it matters would let the club go bust if they personally was not on the same route short term.

Would be interesting to know the way that decison was taken. Did they have advisors? Hard to believe any director with a bone were it matters would let the club go bust if they personally was not on the same route short term.

I'd imagine along the lines of.

You rip up your contracts and leave as heroes or

You stay, we have no money to pay you, we tell the fans you are making the club fold with your excessive wages.

Easy choice, either way you are not getting any money.

I'd imagine along the lines of.

You rip up your contracts and leave as heroes or

You stay, we have no money to pay you, we tell the fans you are making the club fold with your excessive wages.

Easy choice, either way you are not getting any money.

As a director giving long term contracts I would have honoured my obligation. Under who's chairmanship was those long term contracts given?

Me too. Absolutely persistently with rain. Mick Harford gave me a couple of comps? If I remember rightly we had Mick Harford and Peter Devine up front????

Was lashin it down, yep. IIRC a young Rob Newman and Andy Llewellyn played. I remember the average age of the team that match was below 20 !!

As a youngster at the time, I remember the "Support Bristol City, Now or Never" badges etc and the whole feeling of despair, even if I couldn't completely understand it.

Never fails to make me wonder "what if. . . " whenever I read about the AG8 and 1982. As mentioned above, it was 20 (!) years ago now and there's no way those guys who

just walked away get the recognition they to this day deserve.

Anybody got photos of those badges (silhouetted [sp?] supporters holding red & white scarves aloft, IIRC) they can post???

CTID :city:

Archived