IGNORED

Darlington

bcfcbs20

You can bet that any creditors they have outside of the 'football fraternity' won't see a penny of what they're owed (following the example of Portsmouth), while players and manager will somehow receive tidy severance packages while picking up wages elsewhere. Scandalous.

Why is it scandalous? its not the players, or managers fault that the board of directors cant get it right? the fans suffer yes, but why should people who are employed by these morons suffer aswell?

Genuinely it must be gutting. I wouldn't wish it on anybody. Not Rovers, not even Cardiff. This is very sad.

Was the old ground flattened? If not then they might look to dust away some cobwebs and start up there if they are unable to dig themselves out.

It was flattened.

Makes you wonder, if they do go bust what would happen to the stadium. Not like someone could buy it and use it for something else.

It was flattened.

Makes you wonder, if they do go bust what would happen to the stadium. Not like someone could buy it and use it for something else.

Had a look on their forum the other day, a plan of one consortium trying to save Darlington was to sell the stadium for housing, presumably with the intention of finding a smaller site. Not sure what loans there are.

What a mess.

Why is it scandalous? its not the players, or managers fault that the board of directors cant get it right? the fans suffer yes, but why should people who are employed by these morons suffer aswell?

Reynolds left the club in 2004. When he took over the club about 5 years previously he apparently paid off all the clubs debts and part financed the oversized new stadium. The balance, and here is where he went wrong, was financed by high interest loans. Those same loans crippled the club, no doubt, and probably continue to do so today. two chairmen/owners later and Darlo find themselves continuing with that noose around their neck. Ultimately Reynolds wanted the club to be a success, clearly, but he was naive to think a 25k stadium was needed, putting it mildly of course.

Administrators will no doubt have to raise enough cash to pay off the creditors who may or may not insist on selling the stadium on to someone else either for demolition and alternative use or finding new tenants. The stadium is built effectively out of town alongside the A66. This may not be the most suitable place for housing or retail nor will it necessarily obtain planning permission. The local council will need to be somewhat flexible, me thinks, if this white elephant site is to be put to profitable future use other than sport. Fact is it should never have obtained planning permission in the first place; did no councillers express concern as to how an average attendance of barely 3k could be turned into 10 or 15 let alone 25k ? Insane really.

If you ask me this looks very much like a village green. :disapointed2se:

This was Darlo's third Administration in a decade. George Reynolds ( a former chairman) really screwed the club when he built the new stadium. The club didn't need it. Feethams (the old ground) was not great for facilities but was a beautiful ground. You walked through a park and Darlington Cricket Club to get there.

Crowds were rarely over 4K so why build a 25K stadium? The cost to build and subsequent running costs have crippled the club.

Although it is a few years since watching the Quakers I'll be sad to see them go.

I hate to see any football club go out of business (yes including BRFC). The story you tell of Darlington seems to be one of too great an ambition. What was a small, not very famous club, nevertheless had a bunch of passionate fans who got the heartache and the pleasure of following their team through thick and thin. They will miss both of these emotions. If the root cause was the new stadium with a capacity far beyond their needs and a great deal of unnecessary expense and hassle, might there be a lesson here for us? It can happen at our level too. Look at the plight of Coventry as detailed in the video posted above.

Its scandalous because football administration works differently to other industries in that football related debts are fully paid up before other creditors get a look in - look at the case of Portsmouth.

God knows how this was ever agreed with the Inland Revenue etc.

I hate to see any football club go out of business (yes including BRFC). The story you tell of Darlington seems to be one of too great an ambition. What was a small, not very famous club, nevertheless had a bunch of passionate fans who got the heartache and the pleasure of following their team through thick and thin. They will miss both of these emotions. If the root cause was the new stadium with a capacity far beyond their needs and a great deal of unnecessary expense and hassle, might there be a lesson here for us?

No !

Don't know about Notts County, but he definitely gave Scarborough £20,000 ....

...as you mention Scarborough and a club in crisis, my missus used to work at the McCain Stadium and was a big Scarby fan. The new continuation of the club "Scarborough Athletic" are now groundsharing 17 miles down the coast at Bridlington Town in the NE Counties League, getting about a 600-800 gate per game compared to the league average of around 100. A very sad state of affairs. I drove past the other day and the ground has now been bulldozed and it seems a return to their hometown will be a long way off. Let's hope the same doesn't befall too many other clubs.

Looks like there doomed all the playing staff and caretaker manager have been sacked.

Sad.

I remember going to their old "Feethams" ground during our 4th Division promotion season back in the 80's

If memory serves me correct, we won 1-0 thanks to a John Kerr header?

Chester, Halifax and now Darlington..................... Fond memories of all these places during that promotion season!

How lucky we are!

It did happen to us.........1982, Ashton Gate 8

History never repeats itself. 1982 happened because we were relegated from the 1st division to the 3rd division in short order whilst still carrying players with 1st division contracts. You could argue it has happened to Portsmouth to some degree but as far as we are concerned, we would have to get into the Premier League first!

Genuinely it must be gutting. I wouldn't wish it on anybody. Not Rovers, not even Cardiff. This is very sad.

Was the old ground flattened? If not then they might look to dust away some cobwebs and start up there if they are unable to dig themselves out.

one stand remains - the cowshed. The ground hasn't been built on yet, so could be resurrected, technically.

The current all seater bowel is a truely horrible eyesore. Hasn't had any maintenance since being built. Bits falling off, seats bleached by the sun, paintwork cracked. Oddly the council gave it a safety certificate for only 10K spectators due to problems with access via the local roads. A strange waste of money.

Looks like they could be shut down today, one of the players on Twitter thinks its all over.

I saw one comment saying Darlington going under for £1.2 million debt, Tevez earns £200,000 a week for doing **** all.

Kettering next?

#Darlo players emerging and telling tales of handshakes to mark death of club, only to be told last-gasp phonecall could change things. Simon Thomas of SSN has just retweeted this hope for there players and fans this is true.

god I hope they pull through,

Maybe we could orginize a whip round at the gate wouldn't raise to much but every little helps, and if even half the clubs on the legaue fixture list did this it would raise enough to see the club through more then the 3 games they have currently

Its scandalous because football administration works differently to other industries in that football related debts are fully paid up before other creditors get a look in - look at the case of Portsmouth.

God knows how this was ever agreed with the Inland Revenue etc.

Yeah, some big-shot safecrackers fault apparently ... He was only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!! :shocking:

Looks like they could be shut down today, one of the players on Twitter thinks its all over.

I saw one comment saying Darlington going under for £1.2 million debt, Tevez earns £200,000 a week for doing **** all.

Kettering next?

No, Northwich Victoria. Once home to the oldest football gound in England. They sold the old ground to a property developer then it all went downhill. They have been given a notice of eviction from their new ground.

he came in before the "fit and Proper" joke er...i mean persons test came in

To be fair his crim past was long ago and as founder of Britain's biggest kitchen fitting company he invested more than £30m in the club. Saved them from bankruptcy in 1998.

That said, Darlington isn't a huge metropolis, a 25,000 seater stadium was madness.

Feel sorry for the fans.

Just read in the paper that two blokes turned up at the gates in a peugeot 308 with 50K to try to keep them going for an extra couple of weeks!

Yep it was the money raised by the supporters etc to potentially set up a phoenix club. Part of me thinks that they'd have been better off investing it in that.. if in two weeks time they are liquidated they now have no money to start up AFC Darlington etc.

Archived