IGNORED

Players Who Thought They Were Too Good For City Who Have Failed Elsewhere

redrobin108

A couple that spring to mind are Louis Carey and Scott Murray. Not sure any of them wanted to leave but I guess they deserved their chance. Oddly enough I thought Carey came back a better player. As for Scotty, well, he had a lot to live up to from his previous stint with us. I don't think Dave Cotterill has set the world on fire since leaving.

A couple that spring to mind are Louis Carey and Scott Murray. Not sure any of them wanted to leave but I guess they deserved their chance. Oddly enough I thought Carey came back a better player. As for Scotty, well, he had a lot to live up to from his previous stint with us. I don't think Dave Cotterill has set the world on fire since leaving.

carey left because he got offered more money at coventry

Scotty left to test himself at a higher level after a decent offer came in from Reading

On a flip side.....how about players who STAYED and seen their career nose dive?

Clayton Fortune....once being chased by Preston....last I saw working part time in the Luke store in Broadmead.

He was never the same after that car accident really, he lost a bit of pace. For me he was the one from that crop of youngsters with perhaps the most potential and never reached, along with Aaron Brown.

Dave Cotterill didn't exactly set the world alight, best £2 Mill + deal we've every done!

and could this be the worst £2m deal we've done recently? I know it's from footy rumours, but it wouldn;t surprise me..............

19 Jan 2012 12:32:25

Newcastle are set to bid 2m for highly regarded Portsmouth irish goalkeeper Steven Henderson .

This is a sign that spurs are to step up their bid for tim kruel with a 8m bid

The common denominator with many of the players people have nominated - talent but a bad attitude. Is it me or have we had more than our fair share of that sort of player over the years? How dumb do you have to be to be blessed with talent the rest of us would love to have and throw it away?:disapointed2se:

The irony is that "being blessed with talent" is an opinion not a fact and there is a school of thought that says ability coupled with controlled practice over many years leads to "talent" so if these guys have worked their socks off to get to professional status (presumably at great personal sacrifice) and then thrown it away when they finally hit the jackpot then that is a very long way to fall. Very few trainees get that opportunity and to some, as someone else mentioned, it all comes too quickly.

You can see why Sir Alex Ferguson get's so precious about his prodigies once they break through considering how long he's been nurturing them.

Didnt Andy Jordan get injured?

Possibly, yes, but not after he'd got all uppity about his contract at City, been transferred to Cardiff and had an absolute nightmare of a time. He was a fantastically talented defender who should have been playing at a much higher level than he ever did.

and could this be the worst £2m deal we've done recently? I know it's from footy rumours, but it wouldn;t surprise me..............

19 Jan 2012 12:32:25

Newcastle are set to bid 2m for highly regarded Portsmouth irish goalkeeper Steven Henderson .

This is a sign that spurs are to step up their bid for tim kruel with a 8m bid

How was it bad business by us?! It was one of those situations tha you get in modern day football.

He was out of contract. We offered him a new one. HE chose not to sign it and left.

No doubt he will go on to do well. We tried to keep him but he wanted to leave. Not alot we could do about it.

How was it bad business by us?! It was one of those situations tha you get in modern day football.

He was out of contract. We offered him a new one. HE chose not to sign it and left.

No doubt he will go on to do well. We tried to keep him but he wanted to leave. Not alot we could do about it.

He went there to be no.2

Millen offered all 3 of our keepers a contract. Now, if I was Hendo, I would'nt have signed....

We should never have offered Gerken a new deal - Henderson should have become our no 2 and I'm sure he would have stayed if that was the case - Especially with our no 1 keeper in his forties....

But as always, Millen could'nt make a decision, so just offered them all contracts....

He went there to be no.2

Millen offered all 3 of our keepers a contract. Now, if I was Hendo, I would'nt have signed....

We should never have offered Gerken a new deal - Henderson should have become our no 2 and I'm sure he would have stayed if that was the case - Especially with our no 1 keeper in his forties....

But as always, Millen could'nt make a decision, so just offered them all contracts....

I agree with all of that, although I don't have a problem with Deano, I think he is a steady enough No. 2.

Of course I would ha loved us to have kept Henderson, but after offering him a contract, he wanted to leave. It was made publicly clear that KM wanted him to stay, but he felt (quite rightly) that he wanted to try his luck elsewhere.

Decent Keeper with a good future ahead of him. Shame it won't be for us - but my point is that we didn't release him. We offered him a contract which he chose to reject. Not much more we could have done to keep him - deffo a shame though!

Kevin Amankwah could certainly come under the heading of "failed to live upto potential"

I think he was involved in a car accident and had a minor neck break, which not doubt hindered his chances.

I remember watching him in his heyday under Wilson and he was awsome (being rumoured to have interested Arsenal at the time)

Last i remember seeing he was at Swindon, so did keep a steady career, but nothing like it looked it might have been!

Archived