IGNORED

" Old Division 3 South And North "

wembley87

Hiya everyone

At the moment there is a conference south and conference north in non league football

but do you think it might go back to the old division 3 south and north because of crowds

dropping and more financial pressure at them.

If it went back to south and north division 1 now would it not save alot of clubs in cost,

eg Hartlepool and Carlisle would not be making long journey to Yeovil and Exeter.

What do you all think will it ever happen in the future or just stays as it is.

think it would be good myself,smaller clubs need all the help they can get.

cheaper turnstyle prices might be a shout then if higher crowds could be sorted.

although gate prices might not be going up much,peoples incomes are going down making football a luxury that cant be afforded as much.

wont make one iota of difference if the people of the area havent got the money to go in the first place.

hopefully i might get back on full time in my job this year,then i might just afford a few games down the gate this season

For sure, probably time for a shake up in tiers 4,5 and 6 anyway.

Conference National is a very good standard but the costs are crippling some clubs. No reason why this and Div 4 shouldn't merge and create North and South divisions at current tier 4 / 5.

Of course there is the stigma of 'non league' and where this starts.

This is definately a good idea for teams in the extremities like Carlisle and Plymouth, but dont think all the midlands clubs would be too impressed! They may miss out on playing clubs local to them due to an imaginary "north-south" line drawn inbetween them. At conf north/south level Gloucester and Bishops Stortford in Herts have to play in Conf North due to all the London/South East clubs at that level. Dont think they enjoy the trips to Workington and co.

I asked this a few years ago when carlisle, Darlo & Hartlepool were in the same division as the Devon trio. yes it would reduce travel & overnight stay costs, but the quality of opposition would reduce.

As an example A Southern team currently near the top of League 1 would end up playing against Southern teams currently near the base of league 2.

Looking back, Coventry, Walsall & Grimsby all played in 3 South and 3 North depending on who had been relegated or promoted. Currently the Conference lower divs stick a team in a regional league for 3 years at a row to avoid mucking them about. As a result Worcester is in Conf South whilst Gloucester (South of worcester) are in Conf North!!!

Getting back to reducing travel costs, cricket's Minor Counties used to be divided into North & South, now it's East & West to ease travel time & costs. Suffolk can get to Northumbria easier than to Devon.

How did/would that work?

Would you expect the FA to take stock in a season, see where the tables lie after and draw a line somewhere above Birmingham based on the number of teams each side of the line (assume it's an even split?0

So, for example, say the South had a really sucessful year and the North all ended up at the lower end of their leagues, the border line would potentially move up higher, so say Manchester or something?

Extreme example I know, but i'm interested to know how they'd approach this.

I think the regionalisation kicks in at Div 4 / Conference level and, yes, at season end northernmost 24 go one way and the rest go the other. It's not hard to work out which split gives the lowest total mileage.

Reality is that half a dozen teams are always going to be borderline so the 3 year rule is a good one.

Hiya everyone

At the moment there is a conference south and conference north in non league football

but do you think it might go back to the old division 3 south and north because of crowds

dropping and more financial pressure at them.

If it went back to south and north division 1 now would it not save alot of clubs in cost,

eg Hartlepool and Carlisle would not be making long journey to Yeovil and Exeter.

What do you all think will it ever happen in the future or just stays as it is.

Might not be a bad thing, I think we hold the record for being Div 3 South Champions the most times - 3!

The thing is though that years ago the cost of travelling was a much larger proportion of a clubs costs. Today, player wage ratios vis a vis total income has mushroomed out of all proportion such that travelling costs, although increased, are proportionately much much less. So whereas player costs were probably less than 50% of costs today thats probably around 85% on average. Travelling costs were probably around 15% and now probably half that.

Other reasons for going back to north and south, however, and noted in this thread such as increased gates are certainly worthy of more debate.

How did/would that work?

Would you expect the FA to take stock in a season, see where the tables lie after and draw a line somewhere above Birmingham based on the number of teams each side of the line (assume it's an even split?0

So, for example, say the South had a really sucessful year and the North all ended up at the lower end of their leagues, the border line would potentially move up higher, so say Manchester or something?

Extreme example I know, but i'm interested to know how they'd approach this.

It used to happen that certain third Division teams situated in the middle of England might find themselves in 3rd.Division South one year, 3rd Division North the next.

Teams such as Mansfield, Shrewsbury, Walsall, Wrexham etc. depending entirely upon other teams results.

Archived