IGNORED

Best/favourite Goal At Ashton Gate

Superjack

Have thoroughly enjoyed the 'Funniest Memory at AG' thread.

Was wondering what everyone's favourite goal witnessed at AG was?

So many to choose from over the years, I know.

Mine?

Home to Gillingham 1988/89 season. City were marching towards the League Cup semi-final, but were doing nothing in the (then) third division except playing the season out.

Joe Jordan was player-manager. His appearances were few and far between and he brought himself on as a sub late on in this drab goalless affair.

My friends and I were stood in the old open end (which City were attacking in the second half) when late in the game a through ball was played which pretty much left Jordan just inside the Gillingham half with only their keeper in front of him.

We were all screaming for him to take the ball on and dummy the keeper, but about thirty yards out he swung his boot and leathered it.

My friends and I were exactly positioned in the open end in terms of height and angle, that the ball came like a rocket towards us in such a way that had the net not been there it would have taken our heads off.

It was a screamer like I have never seen, and although the result meant little in a drab end of season affair, to see our 'messiah' come off the bench and give us a glimpse of his past talent was just incredible.

When asked about the goal in the post-match interview, Big Joe said, "Well, I had to hit it, because at my age I couldn't run any further....". Legend.

Rob Newman on a Tuesday night in the Jordan promotion season on a dire Tuesday night in monsoon conditions against Chester i think it was he smashed in a free kick from about 25 yards which nearly took the net out to win the game 1-0.

:laugh:, I love how peoples recollection of goals exagerate over time! Luke Wilkshire's and Clarksons where both well inside the attacking half and nowhere near 50 yards, although both impressive goals!

it's a tough call but I would have to go with the Scott Murray goal Vs Oldham where he picked the ball up and dribbled 150yrds before bending the ball into the corner for 40yrds out!

(actually ran about 40yrds and scored from the edge of the box! Great goal in what was a big, tough game at the time)

Another goal that was so important to our club if not spectacular in it's execution

was the equaliser away against Coventry City in 1977, last match of the season, scored by

Donnie Gillies which levelled it at 2.2 , both teams knowing that they were safe if the score

remained the same because Sunderland had lost 2.0 thus making them both safe,

The strangest last ten minutes of a game i have ever witnessed...then we went mental Approx 8000 of us..Brilliant

Another goal that was so important to our club if not spectacular in it's execution

was the equaliser away against Coventry City in 1977, last match of the season, scored by

Donnie Gillies which levelled it at 2.2 , both teams knowing that they were safe if the score

remained the same because Sunderland had lost 2.0 thus making them both safe,

The strangest last ten minutes of a game i have ever witnessed...then we went mental Approx 8000 of us..Brilliant

Some great memories and great goals! It struck me by the names and players mentioned I am pretty senior to most of you; anyway for us baby boomers/genXers here are mine

Starting with one only saw by a couple of dozen of us...Carl Shutt scissors kick at Aldershot on the 94th minute of a cup replay (yes I know its not AG but humour me I am pretty old now) the only one I have seen like it since was Wayne Rooney last season body five feet in the air and parallel to the ground SCCRREEEtched into the Top Corner...Fantastic

At AG of course the list goes on but no one will ever outdo Jimmy Mann against Englands number 1 what a strike!

In recent years Christian of course and Wlkshere's lob but my personal favorite from the last twenty years is JCR against Cardiff last season!

In no particular order:

Thorpe v Gas 2000

Roberts and Goodfellow v Hartlepool 2004 - can still remember the stand shaking!

Peacock v Plymouth 2004 - night match near end of season, late winner that kept us in the hunt for top 2 (they were top and couldve been promoted with a draw I think)

Noble (1st and 2nd goals) v Rotherham 2007 to seal promotion. Place went absolutely nuts when that first one went in.

Cramb after 13/14 seconds followed by Shaun Taylor and Goater v Grimsby 1998 in crucial promotion battle - we blitzed them and were 3-0 by half time.

Murray v Oldham 2003ish

Trundle v Palace in the play-off semi final.

Roberts v Cardiff 2003 in the league - great cross from Murray I remember

Murray v Mboro 2007 - was in the East End and remember just watching it drop in at the Atyeo end with his left-foot swinger and going absolutely nuts while he ran the length of the pitch celebrating.

One that hasn't been mentioned:

Mickey Bell's absolute wondergoal v Cambridge circa 2001/2002, when he hit it on the half-volley from near the touchline on the left-hand side of the box - it just flew in straight into the far top-corner. He'd already scored a free-kick that game - in terms of technique, possibly the best I've seen a City player score at AG. I remember there being a camera on the stanchion of the goal and on the highlights the ball just seared towards the camera and smashed into it!

Super bob taylor's hook shot across from the right hand side of the penalty area on a tuesday

night match away at swansea at the vetch, cant remember the year, bob got a hat trick and we won 5.0

i think, we were all singing "and now your gonna believe us...the welsh are ******g s**t" the stuff of dreams !

Christian Roberts v. Hartlepool in the 2nd Leg of the Play Offs. Capped an AMAZING few minutes (we were rubbish for the rest of it) but such a great feeling; as Fergie said "Football eh, bloody hell"

I'm with you on this one. So glad I was there. Still have the clips of it on my PC. Totally mental!

The best home goal must be John Atyeo’s against Oldham in the last match of the 1964 / 65 season to clinch promotion to Division 2 (now the Championship). What made it even more special was I saw him score FOUR goals in a 5 – 1 away win at Shrewsbury 5 days earlier!

How often do you see a city player score 4 goals in one match? How often do you see City score 5 goals in any match?

Best Goal - Murray running most of the length of the pitch vs Oldham

Favourite:

Probably Donowa against the Gas

Or

The equaliser against the Gas Dec 2000

Or

Lee Matthews last minute winner vs Millwall 2000/2001

Or

Roberts vs Hartlepool

Went temporarily deaf after each of these goals

Chris Garland v the GAS ... Aprox 1970 we were that dominant in a 6-0 win he ran into the rovers penalty area ahead of the cross , slung himself on to the floor and headed the ball into the back of the net whilst lying on the floor .I was in the East end at the time and Chris scored at the open end , it seemed like he was on the floor for ages before heading into the net as a team we were showboating and this was taking the P*** at the highest level.

Archived