IGNORED

Best/favourite Goal At Ashton Gate

Superjack

I don't think anybody's yet mentioned Paul Agostino's against Rovers back in 96. We got possession when Holloway was robbed and Agostino must have beaten half their team before slotting it away. Shame the game didn't end there really.

was about to mention that one, a fantastic goal. I wonder if anyone still has that game on VHS/DVD.

Murrays vs Oldham was probably the best but for atmosphere it would be either Roberts vs H'pool, Neville vs Hereford, The Palace play off games or Russells to send us up against Rotherham

I gotta say....this is what makes following our team soooo good, forget the bad days n just enjoy all the fantastic good memories,

and dare i say, i wish we cud play the sags again, even a cup draw would fill the gate and some...fantastic forum, quality members with brains, total quality...respect

Christian Roberts. Football brings us together. Myself and two mates spent all season sat next to three old fellas who really resented having to stand for us so we could go for a half time pint in the Dolman.

As the season went on they stopped standing, moved their legs only slightly whilst tutting loud enough for us to here, naturally we played on this and would occasionally wait for them to sit down before we said excuse me please.

I think they truly hated sitting next to us.

Cristina Roberts scored with minutes to go to win a semi final play off. I kid you not, all six of us were hugging and kissing each other. Just brilliant.

The best home goal must be John Atyeo’s against Oldham in the last match of the 1964 / 65 season to clinch promotion to Division 2 (now the Championship). What made it even more special was I saw him score FOUR goals in a 5 – 1 away win at Shrewsbury 5 days earlier!

How often do you see a city player score 4 goals in one match? How often do you see City score 5 goals in any match?

Whooo there tiger...my first footy match was at Eastville many years ago, i was at the time undecided about who to support, the mates i was with were mainly rovers ( sags for those of you who are a little younger ) i still remember the fine mist that swept over the ground on that cold winters night but the sky was clear !!! we gotta get rid of the gas init..City won 5.0 with John Galley getting a hat trick me thinks, but at my age i could be wrong, and city filled the tote end which convinced me...city 8 days a week, then walked home to a rollicking from my mum 1

Have thoroughly enjoyed the 'Funniest Memory at AG' thread.

Was wondering what everyone's favourite goal witnessed at AG was?

So many to choose from over the years, I know.

Mine?

Home to Gillingham 1988/89 season. City were marching towards the League Cup semi-final, but were doing nothing in the (then) third division except playing the season out.

Joe Jordan was player-manager. His appearances were few and far between and he brought himself on as a sub late on in this drab goalless affair.

My friends and I were stood in the old open end (which City were attacking in the second half) when late in the game a through ball was played which pretty much left Jordan just inside the Gillingham half with only their keeper in front of him.

We were all screaming for him to take the ball on and dummy the keeper, but about thirty yards out he swung his boot and leathered it.

My friends and I were exactly positioned in the open end in terms of height and angle, that the ball came like a rocket towards us in such a way that had the net not been there it would have taken our heads off.

It was a screamer like I have never seen, and although the result meant little in a drab end of season affair, to see our 'messiah' come off the bench and give us a glimpse of his past talent was just incredible.

When asked about the goal in the post-match interview, Big Joe said, "Well, I had to hit it, because at my age I couldn't run any further....". Legend.

thats my one too - closely followed by biff newmans freekick against wigan in a force 10 gale

(just read Redcliffe 78's post and perhaps you're right - it wasn't wigan, it was chester - same goal tho' - i remember the floodlights rocking!)

David Seal from near the halfway line against blackpool on the first game of the season back in 1996 i think

Another of my favourites.

I also recall Carl Shutt scoring in the top corner at the East End against Northampton from within about a yard of the corner flag, and an overhead kick from Super Bob at the open end (v Birmingham I think).

As others have stated, some goals (Noble, Roberts, etc.) have to be favourites due to the occasion.

1991 - Louie Donowa scoring the winner with only a few minutes left against the Gas.

I've never seen Ashton Gate go so ******* mental :laugh:

I was gunna say this one - my personal fave by a mile which followed 10 derbies without a victory, the failed minutes silence for Des and Holloway missing a pen in front of the east end. Think Twentyman missed a sitter shortly afterwards as well - unbelievable night.....

More recently McCombe's overhead kick against Hull in such a crucial game was pretty darn special too - seem to remember Phil Brown praising the city fans for how we backed the team that day when we were up against it..................

Does anyone remember a match against Wrexham in the early 2000s? Tony Thorpe lobbed the keeper from about 40 yards and then 10 mins later, Peter Beadle half volleyed one in from about the same distance. Stunning!

Also Matt Hills first goal against Huddersfield (I think) he ran the ball from the half way line, played a quick one two and then finished like a 20 goal a season striker!

And who could forget away at Reading (early 2000s again) on a Tuesday night. We came back from 1 down to win 2-1 with the winner coming from a brilliant piece of interplay between Lee Matthews and Lee Peacock.

Remember when we used to go to to every game without worrying whether we score, because we knew we always would. Wouldn't it be great to return to those days?

I think that the club should invest in a giant screen and put it on top of the club shop and play some of these goals before each game. This would help create the atmosphere again, which in my opinion died during the first season after the play-off final.

Does anyone remember a match against Wrexham in the early 2000s? Tony Thorpe lobbed the keeper from about 40 yards and then 10 mins later, Peter Beadle half volleyed one in from about the same distance. Stunning!

Also Matt Hills first goal against Huddersfield (I think) he ran the ball from the half way line, played a quick one two and then finished like a 20 goal a season striker!

And who could forget away at Reading (early 2000s again) on a Tuesday night. We came back from 1 down to win 2-1 with the winner coming from a brilliant piece of interplay between Lee Matthews and Lee Peacock.

Remember when we used to go to to every game without worrying whether we score, because we knew we always would. Wouldn't it be great to return to those days?

I think that the club should invest in a giant screen and put it on top of the club shop and play some of these goals before each game. This would help create the atmosphere again, which in my opinion died during the first season after the play-off final.

I'm sure I remember that Wrexham game! I have very vague recollection of that happening, I'm sure you're right!

I seem to remember Greg Goodridge scoring a last minute winner in our 1998 promotion season (against Preston?) where he beat 3/4 men and smashed it in the roof of the net.

Great times - and what a brilliant idea about the giant screen showing classic City goals/moments. I don't know if it would be possible but that'd get the crowd warmed up!

Old school;

Jimmy Mann's 35 yard screamer leaving Peter Shilton waving at thin air as it nearly ripped through the net in front of the East End!

Was in the East End that day and knew it was in the moment it left his boot. Pretty sure the evening post measured how far out it was a couple of days later. They measured it at 44 yards!

Louie Donawas goal last few minutes - first time we beat the sags for ages -the hairs on the back of my neck still go up now, the noise was unreal - walking out givin it the big un to the gas in the away end - memorable.

andy cole scored three or four in an fa cup night match against cardiff, the last goal the ball was rolling towards the keeper and his pace got him there rounded the keeper 5-1 goodnight, quickest striker i have witnessed at city.

jackis goal against leicester or was it wolves beat about four players (never passed to a screaming city player - unusual for jacki) beat the four and took the p--s out the keeper with a litle chip - how good was he - i can also remember a game it maybe the same one jacki was subbed by osman and then osman was either booked or subbed and the whole of AG cheered - im up in the loft tomorrow got loads of VHS vids, if i can get them to DVD would be great ?

John Atyeo......... who else ?

I was about 10, early 1950's, before QE2 anyway.

It was late in the season, a quiet sunny day, a team in the top 4 and we were safe but nowhere.

Ten minutes to go, City down 0-1, the crowd quiet. Then from nothing, that magical moment, Tom Burden had the ball on the edge of our penalty area, saw big John having a rest just our side of half way and sent the ball that way.

John Atyeo trapped, turned and released the missile from hell. The opposition keeper was still exchanging dialogue with a defender when suddenly he was back peddling with one of Johns thunderbolts bearing down on him. The ball hit the goal line and smacked into the net, such was the force the ball never rose above 6 feet from the ground.

Such was the moment, there was just silence, then gasps, then unparalleled screams of joy, appreciation and wonderment. A statue is good, but will never be enough.

He was also a good man, who went back to teaching, stayed with City when bigger teams would have paid him far more were after his signature. The difference of standards and money that 50-60 years can make.

My best remembered goal, John Atyeo as described.

My favourite would probably be Roberts against Hartlepool, football doesn't really get more dramatic than that. As others have said I remember that Murray goal very well and that is the goal that came to my head first when thinking of great goals at the Gate. In more recent times Sproule against Southampton in the playoff season (not the goal where he runs the whole pitch and slots into an empty net) where he runs past several players before spanking it into the corner with his left foot.

Archived