IGNORED

Best/favourite Goal At Ashton Gate

Superjack

Have thoroughly enjoyed the 'Funniest Memory at AG' thread.

Was wondering what everyone's favourite goal witnessed at AG was?

So many to choose from over the years, I know.

Mine?

Home to Gillingham 1988/89 season. City were marching towards the League Cup semi-final, but were doing nothing in the (then) third division except playing the season out.

Joe Jordan was player-manager. His appearances were few and far between and he brought himself on as a sub late on in this drab goalless affair.

My friends and I were stood in the old open end (which City were attacking in the second half) when late in the game a through ball was played which pretty much left Jordan just inside the Gillingham half with only their keeper in front of him.

We were all screaming for him to take the ball on and dummy the keeper, but about thirty yards out he swung his boot and leathered it.

My friends and I were exactly positioned in the open end in terms of height and angle, that the ball came like a rocket towards us in such a way that had the net not been there it would have taken our heads off.

It was a screamer like I have never seen, and although the result meant little in a drab end of season affair, to see our 'messiah' come off the bench and give us a glimpse of his past talent was just incredible.

When asked about the goal in the post-match interview, Big Joe said, "Well, I had to hit it, because at my age I couldn't run any further....". Legend.

Have thoroughly enjoyed the 'Funniest Memory at AG' thread.

Was wondering what everyone's favourite goal witnessed at AG was?

So many to choose from over the years, I know.

Mine?

Home to Gillingham 1988/89 season. City were marching towards the League Cup semi-final, but were doing nothing in the (then) third division except playing the season out.

Joe Jordan was player-manager. His appearances were few and far between and he brought himself on as a sub late on in this drab goalless affair.

My friends and I were stood in the old open end (which City were attacking in the second half) when late in the game a through ball was played which pretty much left Jordan just inside the Gillingham half with only their keeper in front of him.

We were all screaming for him to take the ball on and dummy the keeper, but about thirty yards out he swung his boot and leathered it.

My friends and I were exactly positioned in the open end in terms of height and angle, that the ball came like a rocket towards us in such a way that had the net not been there it would have taken our heads off.

It was a screamer like I have never seen, and although the result meant little in a drab end of season affair, to see our 'messiah' come off the bench and give us a glimpse of his past talent was just incredible.

When asked about the goal in the post-match interview, Big Joe said, "Well, I had to hit it, because at my age I couldn't run any further....". Legend.

When I saw the title of this thread, this was the very goal that came to me straight away.... i was only 10 at the time, but my god can I still see that goal as if it happened only yesterday!

Running it a close second though would probably have to be Tinnion's goal against Cambridge in the 6-2 win. Free-kick 25 yards out, the ball was flicked up for Tins, who controlled the ball on his thigh and hit it on the volley in front of the Atyeo. The audacity made the goal as much as the execution!

David Rennie v Walsall.... crowd packed around the edge of the pitch about to burst with the ecstasy of promotion, Rennie through on goal in the last minute to deliver a delightful 25yard chip which even Phillippe Albert couldn't go on to emulate.

The ensuing pitch invasion was of gargantuan proportions.

Sealed a 4-0, promotion in style, dispellling the upset at losing the title to the darkside.

The world smelt sweet that day and Rennie's late Godly act was the cherry on top.

What a midfield, Smudger/Shelton/Rennie/Gavin.

Having avoided the conductor all the way to Chesterfield, (unemployed at the time), sat in the cold, wet and miserable Saltergate with around 100 other City faithful.

Ivan made it all worth while with a thunderbolt of a volley from about 3000 yards out. Unstoppable.

Scrounged a free lift home as well and got in as a student. £10 day out. Treated to a screamer.

The old away days were the best.

Old school;

Jimmy Mann's 35 yard screamer leaving Peter Shilton waving at thin air as it nearly ripped through the net in front of the East End!

More recently;

Clarkson's 50 yard lob from in front of the Dolman. Did he mean it or did he shank it?

Nicky Morgan our first game back in the Championship against Kenny Dalglish's Blackburn. His goal made it 4-2 after being 2-1 down and it was the perfect breakaway goal, Dave Smith stormed down the left, clipped in a cross and Morgan headed it diving full length.

In recent memory, Nicky maynards goal against Newcastle and Jon Steads goal against QPR stand out. I always think that powerful shots that go in off the woodwork always look more spectacular.

1. Scotty against Oldham on a cold tuesday night

2. Christain Roberts v Hartlepool

3. Cashley vr Hull City was something else!

Away I was lucky to have seen Ivan's goal at Chesterfield but missed the Mansfield game - Christian's winner was magic for lots of reasons. Paul Mardons goal at Florist in the league cup semi 1st leg was special too.

John Atyeo. Evening Kick off Friday March 26th 1965. Bristol City 4 Grimsby Town 0.

They used to let kids in free to the Open End for the last half hour.

74th minute. Atyeo's in the box with his back to goal. Ball comes in from Ray Savino from the left. I swear everything went quiet for a split second. Everyone except me knew what was about to happen. Atyeo turns in an instant with a movement he's practiced a million times and the net barely withstands the power of his close range shot. The Ashton Gate roar erupts.

That's how it all started for me. Addiction.

Lee Peacock vs Peterborough circa 2001.

They were coming forward with their back 4 on about the halfway line when Tinnion intercepted a pass and played it into their half for Peacock to run on to. Peacock got about halfway into their half then got tired/bored/confused so just launched it into the top corner.

The most memorable one has to be Roberts against Hartlepool, though.

Lee Peacock vs Peterborough circa 2001.

They were coming forward with their back 4 on about the halfway line when Tinnion intercepted a pass and played it into their half for Peacock to run on to. Peacock got about halfway into their half then got tired/bored/confused so just launched it into the top corner.

The most memorable one has to be Roberts against Hartlepool, though.

+1

Was stunning, although I though Samuel Eto'o scoring against us for Real Majorca in a pre-season friendly under Wilson was class, although it wasn't a competitive games.

Apart from a majority of the obvious choices, one of mine was David Seal against Stockport back in the mid 90's, a screamer right in front of the Atyeo Stand. A dull 1-0 victory, but it was the first season I started attending Ashton Gate regularly.

He picked the ball up from outside the box, and on the angle unleashed a thunderbolt into the far corner!

Me and my dad both remember that goal well

Archived