IGNORED

In Mcinnes We Trust...

Ricardo 'Livi' Red

Yes, with the playing deadwood being cleared (and more to go in the summer), plus a lot of the coaching staff being moved on too, it seems like he's giving the club the makeover that it's been in need of for a few years.

Whether we're in the Championship or not (and I'm confident we will be), we have the right man in place to sort this club out and get it where it should be.

Yes, with the playing deadwood being cleared (and more to go in the summer), plus a lot of the coaching staff being moved on too, it seems like he's giving the club the makeover that it's been in need of for a few years.

Whether we're in the Championship or not (and I'm confident we will be), we have the right man in place to sort this club out and get it where it should be.

+1 Del has done a cracking job so far and has all the support of the fans which is brilliant.

Sorry, but I don't share your enthusiasm at the moment.

The results recentlly remind me very much of Millen's tenure - inconsistency, poor strike rate, dodgy defence... What's changed?

McInnes arrived in a flurry of exuberance with high hopes that he would turn things around, but his influence on the team and activity in the transfer window has been, at best, disappointing, in terms of refreshing the squad for the fight to survive.

I still think we will struggle to stay in the division and it'll go down to the wire.

The results recentlly remind me very much of Millen's tenure - inconsistency, poor strike rate, dodgy defence... What's changed?

McInnes arrived in a flurry of exuberance with high hopes that he would turn things around, but his influence on the team and activity in the transfer window has been, at best, disappointing, in terms of refreshing the squad for the fight to survive.

I still think we will struggle to stay in the division and it'll go down to the wire.

Agreed to some extent there.

We will do well to stay in this division, we have no divine right to be in it, and it is in no way guarenteed we will be. Plus, all today has done is weaken our squad by losing Nicky Maynard, who was (despite form) our best striker and best player.

It's been three months. With one transfer window so largely the same team. The standard of football has been undeniably better.

New managers always arrive to a fanfare, but if you're destined to struggle with the players you have then you're probably destined to struggle. Look at Forest, things haven't changed there. We have more points than them in the last three months.

And I don't believe that Maynard was our best player. I haven't seen him take many games by the scruff of their neck and shine. Others here have.

Agree, Mcinnes has had plenty of time to make his mark, IF things went wrong and we ended up getting relegated. he has to take the blame!

He has a team in front of him who are not good enough to hold a place in the upper regions of the championship, but should more then hold their own in the bottom half.

Missing out on bringing players in on the transfer window, could be his downfall.

Supporters of this club are quick enough to turn if things go wrong.

I think we will scrape by this season, but next season will have no excuses if we remain to struggle.

Glad im not a manager, just my opinion who as a supporter sees it as it is at the moment.

Bit surprised by some of these downbeat postings...

I think we need a bit of perspective here- when he took over we were several points adrift at the bottom of the table...we are now 6 points clear of the relegation zone and conceding very few goals. It was never going to be a case of new manager comes in and we instantly play total football...the players arent good enough for that.

I was as disapointed as anyone yesterday when we didnt bring anybody in- but who is to say we wont bring players in when the loan window opens in a week?

Wood, Foster and Pearson look like good additions- I am convinced that we have enough to stay up with points to spare...even if nobody else is signed.

Millen 6 points from 12 games

Mcinnes 24 points from 16 games

Hardly the same level of inconsistency is it?

A similar return from the remaining 18 games will see us survive comfortably.

Exactly. There has been a drastic improvement since McInnes took over, and while I don't see us cruising towards mid-table, I do think we'll stay up with a bit to spare. We do need more goals in our team, though, and that's Del's next challenge.

I don't think you'll ever be happy untill we go unbeaten for 15 seasons and have 10 european cups in the trophy cabinet.

McInnes is light years ahead of Millen.

This is the raw truth.

With Millen we'd be propping up the league, planning for league one. With Del we stand 6 points clear from the drop zone.

It might not be pretty but we now look like we are fighting for our lives, unlike before.

Added to that Del's 3 signings (Pearson, Foster and Wood) have all added something to the team, helping us out of the mire, without burdening us with long term contracted journeymen who we won't be able to shift if things go south.

I fully believe it will be a struggle till the last day, but at least we are showing the character of a team who will fight for the gaffer.

Totally disagree, we are slowly climbing the table and are 6 points from safety.

Its clear that we are clearing out ready for next season and I think Del will do loads of business in the summer.

This season is about staying up and nothing else. I think we'll do that comfortably.

I don't think people realise that the issue within this club is not always the manager. It's clear Del and Doc's intentions are good, and they have clear managerial prowess - that's clear for all to see. But he can only work with what he has, and so far, the majority of the players at his disposal are just simply not good enough. He will keep us up, but as we've said for the last couple of managers, we won't know quite how good he is until his true stamp is on the side.

Del isn't the problem, the players are. But he's working on sorting that and shifting out NM, LJ and NH yesterday surely shows that?

Delboy hasnt always done things the way I liked - but I think he's done a brilliant job.

Maybe some people need reminding what a good job he's done.

When he took over we looked doomed:

19 Coventry 11

20 Forest 11

21 Watford 10

22 Millwall 9

23 Donny 8

24 City 6

And now:

20 City 30

21 Millwall 29

22 Donny 24

23 Forest 24

24 Coventry 22

That really is a terrific turnaround - considering he's done that with millens unbalanced squad.

What do people like SimplyRed want or expect?

Crazy

I don't think people realise that the issue within this club is not always the manager. It's clear Del and Doc's intentions are good, and they have clear managerial prowess - that's clear for all to see. But he can only work with what he has, and so far, the majority of the players at his disposal are just simply not good enough. He will keep us up, but as we've said for the last couple of managers, we won't know quite how good he is until his true stamp is on the side.

Del isn't the problem, the players are. But he's working on sorting that and shifting out NM, LJ and NH yesterday surely shows that?

I agree only my main concern is how much the board will actually help Del build. Whilst most focus goes on the manager I still maintain that the biggest problem with this club lies skin deep in some of the staff and more importantly, the board.

Until I see the board fully backing a manager I don't see us improving as a club.

Yes, but 14 of those points came in the first seven games he took the reins, which could be put down to 'new manager syndrome'. Since then we have lost six of the last ten games, including a defeat to a team two leagues below us in the FA Cup, when he had publicly stated we were desperate for a Cup run.

Yes, you can blame the players, but I was under the impression that McInnes was a no-nonsense manager who motivated his player and demanded commitment and effort.

I don't think you'll ever be happy untill we go unbeaten for 15 seasons and have 10 european cups in the trophy cabinet.

McInnes is light years ahead of Millen.

Why is it that people who don't agree with a comment, simply impose an exagerated expectation on the poster, in the hope that it will make the poster's comments irrelevant?

Why don't you be constructive and post in what way McInnes is "light years" ahead of Millen? I'm no Millen fan and his demise didn't come soon enough for me, but apart from a brief improvement in results when he took over, and a general acceptance that the footbal has been marginally better, in what other ways is he "light years" ahead?

Yes, but 14 of those points came in the first seven games he took the reins, which could be put down to 'new manager syndrome'. Since then we have lost six of the last ten games, including a defeat to a team two leagues below us in the FA Cup, when he had publicly stated we were desperate for a Cup run.

First 7 (including Brum in which Del and Doc's influence was negligible) were impressive, with 2 draws and 4 wins, and yes some of that will have been down to the dead cat bounce. And, yes again, we've not seen the same form since, having had a clear dip in result in December, but we are certainly not in as bad a position as we were.

And if you ignore the Crawley game (and I think in a conversation about survival it's not really that important) over the last 6 league games we've won 3 lost 3, which if that continued form continued would easily keep us up.

And we are no longer being totally over run by sides either; our losses are narrow and we fight all the way. Take this weekend, had Albert's effort dipped or Roberts not got a lucky break on his goal we'd have got a point or possibly more away to Reading, a team we threw away a 2 goal lead against at home with 20 minutes remaining under Millen.

I think we are seeing a 'needs-must' approach from Del and Doc, one which if results are to be trusted (and they are the best gauge in this situation) will see us over the line come summer. At that point we should see some major changes, but until then it will be bumpy, but we are in better hands than before; no question.

Delboy hasnt always done things the way I liked - but I think he's done a brilliant job.

Maybe some people need reminding what a good job he's done.

When he took over we looked doomed:

19 Coventry 11

20 Forest 11

21 Watford 10

22 Millwall 9

23 Donny 8

24 City 6

And now:

20 City 30

21 Millwall 29

22 Donny 24

23 Forest 24

24 Coventry 22

That really is a terrific turnaround - considering he's done that with millens unbalanced squad.

What do people like SimplyRed want or expect?

Crazy

I agree that things look better now than when he took over in terms of our position in the league, but many of the points that have put us where we are now were achieved in his first seven games. Since then we seem to have fallen back into our old ways of inconcistency, poor defending and poor strike rate.

I only expect what was implied when he took over, that he was an 'up and coming', 'well-respected' young manager who was going to take the club by the scruff of the neck and get us playing well again. Well, for me, apart from the first few games when we scored the points we are now sitting on in our 'smug' position of 20th, we haven't shown any real consistency or improved our strike rate much (Millen at the start of the season(9 goals in 13 games, McInnes 16 in 17)

People keep saying he has to work with the players he has, but you have to accept that these are 'professional footballers' and, as such, must surely be capable of some organisation and consistency in their performances - is it not the manager's task to extract that from his players?

The manager has had a transfer window to improve his squad (not necessarily with purchases, but with loans at least) which, apart from Woods and Foster, he has been unable to do. Why is this? Is it because there are no better players available (hard to believe considering what some think of the current squad)? Is it because we have no money and can't afford them? Is it because we can't attract players to our club? What is it that prevents us from getting better players than we currently have to the club?

Showing the league table then and now is all very well, but it is our position in the table in May that matters, and I still think we'll be looking over our shoulders (or looking up!) come May.

I really don't know what you expected Simply Red. How much better could he have done to make you happy? If he'd won twice the number of games? Scored twice the number of goals? Brought in 10 new players? Prior to his arrival we'd surrendered from a comfortable winning position at home to Reading and got eviscerated away to Blackpool; he had A LOT of work to do.

Del's got us out of the zone for now, he's brought in 3 players who've improved the team in the short time they've been here (Pearson Foster, Wood) and who won't be long term burdens if things got tits-up, we no longer look totally disorganised and rudderless for long period in games.

I also think we will be fighting relegation till he final few weeks and don't anticipate this being easy, but I cannot understand the negativity at all. He's got us playing again and, fair enough, we are not knocking them in like Barca or winning all our battles, but we at least fighting in them, and sometimes coming out on top.

Del and Doc are not miracle workers but they are a BIG improvement on what we had. It's not going to be plain sailing but at least we're still afloat.

I agree that things look better now than when he took over in terms of our position in the league, but many of the points that have put us where we are now were achieved in his first seven games. Since then we seem to have fallen back into our old ways of inconcistency, poor defending and poor strike rate.

I only expect what was implied when he took over, that he was an 'up and coming', 'well-respected' young manager who was going to take the club by the scruff of the neck and get us playing well again. Well, for me, apart from the first few games when we scored the points we are now sitting on in our 'smug' position of 20th, we haven't shown any real consistency or improved our strike rate much (Millen at the start of the season(9 goals in 13 games, McInnes 16 in 17)

People keep saying he has to work with the players he has, but you have to accept that these are 'professional footballers' and, as much, must surely be capable of some organisation and consistency in their performances - it is not the manager's task to extract that from his players?

The manager has had a transfer window to improve his squad (not necessarily with purchases, but with loans at least) which, apart from Woods and Foster, he has been unable to do. Why is this? Is it because there are no better players available (hard to believe considering what some think of the current squad)? Is it because we have no money and can't afford them? Is it because we can't attract players to our club? What is it that prevents us from getting better players than we currently have to the club?

Showing the league table then and now is all very well, but it is our position in the table in May that matters, and I still think we'll be looking over our shoulders (or looking up!) come May.

We may be inconsistent performance wise, but we are consistently picking up points and thats the main thing. The manager is not miracle worker, he can only do so much with this bunch of players.

We have a massive squad, something like 35 proffesionals and a large number are out of contract at the end of the season. He was only ever going to bring in players if had too. The better permanant deals will be made in the summer and Mcinnes was always going to focus more on loan deals this season - something he can still do (albeit in a weeks time).

You think we are risking relegation, whereas, I think we'll gradually pull away - and then in the summer i'm expecting lots of ins and outs at ashton gate. Then we will really see what mcinnes is made of. This season cant finish soon enough for me and I cant wait to see what next season brings.

But if we do pull away and survive comfortably, McInnes would have done a very good job, dont you agree?

Give the bloke a break he came into massive problems on and off the pitch ok its not brilliant but i actually look forward to games now, the Championship is no cakewalk Birmingham City and West Ham still have their prem top up money even if don't go up they both have debts but through selling and juggling they were always going to be around the top.....Cardiff City though have done well with 2 main strikers gone plus Bellamy and still challenging for promotion and another Wembley date,........ Being at the wrong end of the table with local rivals doing so well is hard to take but getting shot of 3 millstones yesterday is a start i think we can escape the drop as Forest look dreadful Coventry City look more likely to get away than them ..... Once Spence goe's back along with McGiven who doesn't impress and McCallister gets the chop then more defenders can be brought in, get Fontaine fit as he has been missed Nyatanga struggles and like McGiven looks one paced and slow to turn ................. Del and Doc no doubt have plans and players in mind so give them a chance to get their own team performing under Millen City would be as good as down by now League 1 no thanks ...

People keep saying he has to work with the players he has, but you have to accept that these are 'professional footballers' and, as such, must surely be capable of some organisation and consistency in their performances - is it not the manager's task to extract that from his players?

What a load of negative bullsh*t.

Have you ever heard of something called 'time'?

As someone else said, what exactly were your expectations of where we'd be now with pretty much the same set of players which McInnes is stuck with until the summer?

He's done a bloody good job so far with a set of players who have been stuck in a rut for a couple of years, and in my opinion we will be well clear of relegation come April.

Things are much better now. We have won 3 of the last 5 in the league - 2 of the wins being in crucial home relegation battles. What do you expect McInnes to do with such limited talent available? He can't do it overnight.

He has done brillianty to take us from 6 points after 13 games to where we are now.

Yes we lost to Crawley but they also beat Hull away comfortably so it wasn't as bad as made out at the time.

Target this season has to be survival and he doesn't even have to do as well in the next 16 games as he has done so far to get us to 50 points.

Good overview imo. Balanced and well argued and to be honest I can't disagree with any of it.

As you point out the same symptoms remain from the days of Millen. Inconsistency, dodgy defending and poor strike rate all raise their heads just as they did before.

The common factor between now and then is the core of players that both Millen and McInnes have at their disposal.I said back then and I'll say it again that the current squad is not strong or deep enough to become contenders. Just about strong enough to avoid Div 1 but thats about it.

Fair play to McInnes he saw pretty much straight away how limited his resources were and brought in Pearson asap. He's turning into a decent signing and since then we've seen utility man Foster arrive and a beefy striker in Chris Wood. Those three have and will make a difference and I'm confident that City will avoid the drop. McInnes biggest test will be next season when expectations will be sky high after a summer of re-building.

Archived