IGNORED

Dirty Harry

fishy

It seemed to be a little bit dodgy.

A boss paying his employee a 6 figure sum - but in reality they were more than work colleagues and the fact that that these guys have paid millions and millions in tax - why would they try to fiddle about 10k? Not worth the risk

Anyway - REDKNAPP FOR ENGLAND!

Predictable and correct from what I can tell. The prosecutions main evidence seems to have been a phone conversation with a News of The World journalist, which speaks for itself...

Surely the main evidence was that he set up an account named after his dog, in a tax haven, and then 'forgot' that there was £189,000 in it. Nothing to do with the NotW that.

I don't understand. Hmcr write off billions of tax each year, then 8 million is spent try to get back 180k which I believe redknapp offered to pay back at the start.

It is a complete farce. Yes he maybe guilty, but if lawyers have been saying there is virtually zero chance of conviction, they why waste so much tax payers money. Maybe if Hmcr didn't write of so much tax, and actually took the tax when offered rather than taking on expensive cases the British coffers would be in a better state.

That said, in terms of redknapp being the next English manager, god help us, if it wasn't bad enough that we have p155 poor players, now we'll have a halfarsed manager in charge as well!

That said, in terms of redknapp being the next English manager, god help us, if it wasn't bad enough that we have p155 poor players, now we'll have a halfarsed manager in charge as well!

Halfarsed manager whose in third place in the Prem :ermm:

At least he wont overtax the players ... :rolleyes:

Surely the main evidence was that he set up an account named after his dog, in a tax haven, and then 'forgot' that there was £189,000 in it. Nothing to do with the NotW that.

Don't get me wrong; the guy is a bastian of old-school dodgyness, but it isn't a crime to a have a foreign account named after your dog with nearly £200k in it! The issue is whether he should have paid tax on it in this country and they were never going to be able to prove that from what evidence has been reported in the press

PS for those of you who don't think it's worth pursuing tax dodgers if the cost of the trial exceeds the money dodged, I can assure you it cost a lot more than the £25k or so each to prosecute those MPs who fiddled their expenses and I bet you thought they should have been banged up? That's the attitude that got Greece in the amount of shut it's in now

Halfarsed manager whose in third place in the Prem :ermm:

At least he wont overtax the players ... :rolleyes:

don't listen to my dislike for the man, there is no rhyme or reason for it, I just dislike him with a passion :)

I don't particularly think he is that great a manager, he is nearing the end of his career, and apart from fa cup with Portsmouth (which he bankrupted them to get) he has some lower league promotions, never been offered a big job and has jumped ship every time a slightly better offer has come in. He may appear as a lovely wide boy, I just don't get the fasination with the guy, his teams play relatively good football, and that is about the only thing going for the guy.

But like I say, I doesn't help that I dislike the twitchy one.

don't listen to my dislike for the man, there is no rhyme or reason for it, I just dislike him with a passion :)

I don't particularly think he is that great a manager, he is nearing the end of his career, and apart from fa cup with Portsmouth (which he bankrupted them to get) he has some lower league promotions, never been offered a big job and has jumped ship every time a slightly better offer has come in. He may appear as a lovely wide boy, I just don't get the fasination with the guy, his teams play relatively good football, and that is about the only thing going for the guy.

But like I say, I doesn't help that I dislike the twitchy one.

He's in a big job now. Was also offered (and turned down) the Newcastle job before going to Spurs.

Is that £8M figure true ? If so , that's mind boggling. Could you provide a link ? Thanks.

Remember, if the HMRC had won the case, they'd have recovered most or all of their costs.

To my mind, it proves - a bit like Ken Dodd did last decade - that celebrity 'wows' juries, who would have convicted on that evidence had the defendant been some anonymous businessman from east London.

Remember, if the HMRC had won the case, they'd have recovered most or all of their costs.

To my mind, it proves - a bit like Ken Dodd did last decade - that celebrity 'wows' juries, who would have convicted on that evidence had the defendant been some anonymous businessman from east London.

I know , but they didn't win and now Mr. & Mrs Taxpayer are (allegedly) lumbered with an £8M bill !!

Agree with that, after all no tax has ever been paid on that money and yet again no one seems to worry that yet more money has gone out of the game and to a non deserving cause and I bet Arry loves agents.

Still it is strange when we have people who regularly appear in court living luxurious lifestyles with no visible means of income and WE have to prove the illegality of these peoples fortunes not the other way around, legal loopholes eh.

I know , but they didn't win and now Mr. & Mrs Taxpayer are (allegedly) lumbered with an £8M bill !!

This is true. 'Arry was charged with a criminal offence and the RCPO made the decision to prosecute on the basis that they would be likely to get a conviction. Guess they hadn't factored in 'Arry's "charm".

On a wider basis though, this was a relatively short trial and a not particularly complicated investigation. The costs of crown court cases are a scandal, when you consider the constraints placed on other public organisations.

Anyone who regularly comes into contact with courts through work (as I do) will tell you they are organised in a ridiculous way and if you spend much time in a crown court you will observe numerous persons sitting around whose contributions to the proceedings are slightly less than f- all.

Of course, most MPs are barristers or solicitors, so don't hold your breath at getting our legal system subjected to the same scrutiny other public funded bodies are.

If my boss paid money into an offshore account for me, I reckon I'd find it impossible to convince a court that it had nothing to do with my employment.

I wonder, had he been a far less popular character if he'd have stood a chance. No doubt the jury will have been familiar with him before the trial.

Just to play devils advocate here, if he had been found guilty (and perhaps the title of this thread needs to be changed) would avoiding tax in this manner be any different than say......... moving to Guernsey? :tumbleweed:

Of course. One is tax avoidance. One is tax evasion.

I must remember that defence if I'm in trouble with the tax authorities.

"I pay loads of tax so I wouldn't ever fiddle my returns + I have really bad handwriting so obviously I can't be up to no good!"

:whistle2:

The prosecution case was hardly glittering. He could well be guilty but the evidence provided against him was rubbish.

The prosecution case was hardly glittering. He could well be guilty but the evidence provided against him was rubbish.

Well, we'll beg to differ on that one.

Obviously you set up lots of bank accounts in your pets names and then allow your employer to pay money in them for his/her own purposes - and then forget to mention £189,000 when being interviewed by the police.

Obviously you set up lots of bank accounts in your pets names and then allow your employer to pay money in them for his/her own purposes - and then forget to mention £189,000 when being interviewed by the police.

They were also good friends.

I think we are getting close to retrying the case here, as I understand it he told the police about it, he lied to the NOTW reporter. As he said, one of them deserves the truth!

Archived