IGNORED

Portsmouth & Rangers To Enter Administration

bangers

Lets look at this from another angle - their fans.

I don't suppose they wanted or had any say in all the financial mess which began when Mandaric sold the club to Sasha Gaydamak

- Although never proved it was widely assumed Sasha was actually a front man for his father Arcadi, indeed when Arcadi's bank accounts were frozen by the courts within days Sasha suddenly announced "his" money had ran out and all the troubles began.

So - they had a wealthy owner (like us) and their fans had no reason to think the money would run out (like us) - but it did.

Successive owners havn't managed the club well (or provided promised cash) but none of this is the fans doing and they deserve our sympathy.

I don't get this calling to "let them go under".

We have been in a similar position and were extremely well treated by the Football Authorities - a new club being allowed to take over the fixtures of the bankrupt old club - when today we would have had to start again in the Ryman league or whatever.

I don't have a problem with Pompey being relegated, points deducted, sanctions,or having to let players go and play the youth team (we did) but the fans need to have a club to support (in some form).

CR

We have been in a similar position and were extremely well treated by the Football Authorities - a new club being allowed to take over the fixtures of the bankrupt old club - when today we would have had to start again in the Ryman league or whatever.

Well, the difference being, in 1982 we weren't trying to sign Luther Blissett (or equivalent) - we were making sacrifices and paying the price.

Until real penalties are enforced, clubs will always keep chaisng the dream.......it could even be us one day when SL leaves.

Automatic relegation to division 2 would stop it as would some form of strict financial restrictions (something that can't be 'got around'), everyone needs to get real......including the players....that football is in financial meltdown (mainly due to players wages).

BCAGFC

Well, the difference being, in 1982 we weren't trying to sign Luther Blissett (or equivalent) - we were making sacrifices and paying the price.

Yes - and as I pointed out and Pompey should do the same - but we didn't cease to exist and IIRC there was no calling from rival fans for us to die completely.

Although we didn't try for Blisset! we did sign Mick Harford for £160,000 a few months before when we would have known we were in a mess and that was quite a big money signing back in the day!

CR

I don't suppose they wanted or had any say in all the financial mess which began when Mandaric sold the club to Sasha Gaydamak

- Although never proved it was widely assumed Sasha was actually a front man for his father Arcadi, indeed when Arcadi's bank accounts were frozen by the courts within days Sasha suddenly announced "his" money had ran out and all the troubles began.

So - they had a wealthy owner (like us) and their fans had no reason to think the money would run out (like us) - but it did.

Successive owners havn't managed the club well (or provided promised cash) but none of this is the fans doing and they deserve our sympathy.

I don't have a problem with Pompey being relegated, points deducted, sanctions,or having to let players go and play the youth team (we did) but the fans need to have a club to support (in some form).

CR

How many Pompey fans complained when 48 hours out of administration they signed Kitson and Lawrence for combined wages of 100k per month and when a local business went under because they were owed 55k, sorry my sympathy ran out last time, this time they should be made to sell any player with a value and play youth players and if they end up in the conference at least they still have a club.

Yes - and as I pointed out and Pompey should do the same - but we didn't cease to exist and IIRC there was no calling from rival fans for us to die completely.

Although we didn't try for Blisset! we did sign Mick Harford for £160,000 a few months before when we would have known we were in a mess and that was quite a big money signing back in the day!

CR

I certainly wouldn't want the club to die CR but they've been in these dire straights for so long (and failed to cut their cloth to suit for so long) that I think a points deduction that almost equals an automatic relegation is the only just sanction. Of course, self-interest has nothing to do with it. :innocent06:

CR

I get where your coming from with regards the fans, however the fact they've been allowed to do something like this again is an absolute disgrace!

They went into admin last time owing millions and millions. I heard some where, because they went in to admin, lots of local businesses either went under, or went close to go under! About a week after this, they were signing players like Liam Lawrence and Kitson on about £20k per week!!!

Why are clubs like this not having restrictions put on them??

I really can't believe after just 2 years it's happened again!

I get where your coming from with regards the fans, however the fact they've been allowed to do something like this again is an absolute disgrace!

They went into admin last time owing millions and millions. I heard some where, because they went in to admin, lots of local businesses either went under, or went close to go under! About a week after this, they were signing players like Liam Lawrence and Kitson on about £20k per week!!!

Why are clubs like this not having restrictions put on them??

I really can't believe after just 2 years it's happened again!

Couldn't agree more mate. It's a disgrace. Now I don't want Pompey to die but in my opinion it should be either immediate relegation or a 15 or more point deduction! I did feel sorry for them the first time but they are taking the piss now. They need to be punished they can't just get away with it.

And it's not just so it gives us a better chance of staying up, yeah of course its nice but at the end of the day I want to stay up without extra help like that, we should stay up because we deserve too!

They are a joke it's the second time they have done it in 2 years!!!! That's crazy! Look at the likes of Luton and Bournemouth who were severely punished and given a huge points deduction! For me that's the least Pompey deserve, it's just not good enough.

Vodafone owe £6 billion ... they are still going...

Look at their assets and annual turnover i.e. their balance sheet.. makes Rangers about as relevant as a car parking space at Vodafone's head office.

Strike me down with a frozen banana if you will but It defies belief that Craig Whyte, owner of Rangers for barely a year, would now be facing a tax bill of £49million; His Auditor and himself would have had full and fair access to the books of Rangers. One would imagine they therefore knew such a tax bill was coming or are they short of some grey matter?

The other point is that whenever any of these clubs are bought it seems to be by people who are less than smart, notice how successful, truly successful British businessmen, tend to keep well away. So, we end up with a middle ranking wealth creator buying a football club and leveraging the business to the hilt unless its an overseas billionaire. Therein lies the problem... way too much leverage, lawyers and accountants eager to make the numbers work in order for their full set of fees to materialise and the wrong outcome for the club and the fans.. the almost inevitable administration trap door is set in train as early as the ink is dry on the purchase.

Not surprised by any of this and I'll give you the following clubs who will also face winding up orders and/or administration in the coming months unless they sort out their finances...

Florist, Sky Blues, Trotters, Lions.. to name just a few.

p.s. If Pompey only receive a 10 pt deduction they will probably have a party to celebrate; it would be inconsistency by the Football League on a grand scale. 15 pt absolute minimum.

CR

Don't get me wrong, I feel very sorry for their fans. They've gone from one false messiah to the next and have been powerless to do anything. But you can't compare it to our situation in 1982. We were forced to sell our players, survived by the good grace of 8 others tearing up their contracts and were forced to play kids and reserves for most of the rest of te decade. Portsmouth have been given a second chance without nearly the sanctions that were imposed on us and just carried on as before. It's not fair and it should be punished

Court expected to agree administration on Friday. So that would be at least 10pts deducted. Portsmouth fans have had enough, and are talking about dropping out of the leagues a bit like Aldershot did. A lot of my friends are Portsmouth fans so feel for them. But it may just help us stay up, if another club drops below us, will see.

You might be right, in fact I hope you are right, Pompey must be made an example of and it will also help our cause no end.

If they aren't lucky enough to have a financial backer like us......................tough, they will have to live within their means and if that means losing all their highly paid players, playing the yoyth team and being relegated...........then so be it.

BCAGFC

Yep and sit in the lower leagues for a few seasons...... bounce back ......... overtake us on their way back up and end up in Division 1 (The Premier League) knowing the way it normally pans out

Look at their assets and annual turnover i.e. their balance sheet.. makes Rangers about as relevant as a car parking space at Vodafone's head office.

Strike me down with a frozen banana if you will but It defies belief that Craig Whyte, owner of Rangers for barely a year, would now be facing a tax bill of £49million; His Auditor and himself would have had full and fair access to the books of Rangers. One would imagine they therefore knew such a tax bill was coming or are they short of some grey matter?

The other point is that whenever any of these clubs are bought it seems to be by people who are less than smart, notice how successful, truly successful British businessmen, tend to keep well away. So, we end up with a middle ranking wealth creator buying a football club and leveraging the business to the hilt unless its an overseas billionaire. Therein lies the problem... way too much leverage, lawyers and accountants eager to make the numbers work in order for their full set of fees to materialise and the wrong outcome for the club and the fans.. the almost inevitable administration trap door is set in train as early as the ink is dry on the purchase.

Not surprised by any of this and I'll give you the following clubs who will also face winding up orders and/or administration in the coming months unless they sort out their finances...

Florist, Sky Blues, Trotters, Lions.. to name just a few.

p.s. If Pompey only receive a 10 pt deduction they will probably have a party to celebrate; it would be inconsistency by the Football League on a grand scale. 15 pt absolute minimum.

Not Forest; I believe Nigel Doughty left them provided for for at least a couple of years.

Not Forest; I believe Nigel Doughty left them provided for for at least a couple of years.

He only provisioned till end of this season and then he was stopping anymore funding. Thing is if those who inherited his estate want his loans back then they are in trouble

of course there is a very interesting point to be made here, by going into administration now with the amount of points that they have accumulated so far this season, they still have a reasonable chance of survival in the championship even with a 10 point deduction. A buyer will be found because they will no longer have any debts, the new owner starts with a clean slate, the club will start bringing more players on ridiculous wages to add the players they already have on high wages and it all starts again, some punishment that is, I bet they'll never do that again.

The first Administration was in the Premier League which is a different regime to the Football League with different regulations about these things. It may well be that the Football League have to ignore the first Admin as it didn't occur in their jurisdiction, so minus10 points apply for a first Admin and that's it.

If so, they'll probably get away with going into Admin with a -10 points punishment, stay in the championship and come out of it with no debts and the parachute payments to come, while local businesses etc won't get their money or get just a fraction of what they're owed.

Again.

He only provisioned till end of this season and then he was stopping anymore funding. Thing is if those who inherited his estate want his loans back then they are in trouble

Interesting. My source was http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/05/nigel-doughty-nottingham-forest?INTCMP=SRCH.

It is understood that Doughty made provision to ensure the club's debts are met for the next two and a half years when he decided to step down as chairman in October amid growing supporter unrest and after admitting that he made a mistake when he appointed Steve McClaren as manager that summer. Doughty's backing meant that he would invest a further £23m between now and the end of the 2013-14 season. The wider issue of what happens regarding the £75.6m that Doughty is owed will only become clear when details of his beneficiaries are revealed.

I guess your point is the last sentence?

Archived