IGNORED

Portsmouth & Rangers To Enter Administration

bangers

Don't get me wrong, I feel very sorry for their fans. They've gone from one false messiah to the next and have been powerless to do anything. But you can't compare it to our situation in 1982. We were forced to sell our players, survived by the good grace of 8 others tearing up their contracts and were forced to play kids and reserves for most of the rest of te decade. Portsmouth have been given a second chance without nearly the sanctions that were imposed on us and just carried on as before. It's not fair and it should be punished

Just to correct history, we finished 81/82 with a mixed bag of whatever we could get, 82/83 we started with a lot of kids, but grdually TC built a solid team, and the following season we even splashed out £10K on Steve Johnson. after that, City moved forward, with LDV (Or whatever it was) in 1986 and 1987, and had some quality in Alan Walsh, Joe Jordan, Steve Neville, Keith Curle, Rob Newman ...... And Trevor Morgan of course....

Just to correct history, we finished 81/82 with a mixed bag of whatever we could get, 82/83 we started with a lot of kids, but grdually TC built a solid team, and the following season we even splashed out £10K on Steve Johnson. after that, City moved forward, with LDV (Or whatever it was) in 1986 and 1987, and had some quality in Alan Walsh, Joe Jordan, Steve Neville, Keith Curle, Rob Newman ...... And Trevor Morgan of course....

Didn't Steve Johnson come later for about 30-40k? Was John Kerr the £10k signing? By heck we had some fun under Terry Cooper though. Despite our position the club had a smile on its face. Now it's a scowl. Nostalgia's not what it used to be. Nor is my memory.

Didn't Steve Johnson come later for about 30-40k? Was John Kerr the £10k signing? By heck we had some fun under Terry Cooper though. Despite our position the club had a smile on its face. Now it's a scowl. Nostalgia's not what it used to be. Nor is my memory.

£ for £ Kerr was much better value than Rambo Johnson (IMHO of course).

Vodafone owe £6 billion ... they are still going...

I have nothing to do with Vodafone and this isn't important in the context of this thread, but you do know this is the biggest load of left wing liberal propaganda doing the rounds (usually among the occupy protestors). It simply isn't true and is explained only by inaccurate opportunist accounting by their critics.

Interesting. My source was http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/05/nigel-doughty-nottingham-forest?INTCMP=SRCH.

It is understood that Doughty made provision to ensure the club's debts are met for the next two and a half years when he decided to step down as chairman in October amid growing supporter unrest and after admitting that he made a mistake when he appointed Steve McClaren as manager that summer. Doughty's backing meant that he would invest a further £23m between now and the end of the 2013-14 season. The wider issue of what happens regarding the £75.6m that Doughty is owed will only become clear when details of his beneficiaries are revealed.

I guess your point is the last sentence?

Yes sorry thought it was this season but maybe next as well. The bottom bit would be worrying.. Wasn't this what happened to Gretna?

I have nothing to do with Vodafone and this isn't important in the context of this thread, but you do know this is the biggest load of left wing liberal propaganda doing the rounds (usually among the occupy protestors). It simply isn't true and is explained only by inaccurate opportunist accounting by their critics.

Thank you for your unsolicited and unnecessary opinion. Now back to football.

Point taken, I was trying to melodramatic! The point is though, our finances were horribly mismanaged and we ended up dropping 4 divisions. Terry Cooper may have produced a solid team but they were a solid 4th division team! Portsmouth's finances were horribly mismanaged and they signed Liam Lawrence and David Kitson on £25k a week each

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/dec/06/hmrc-tax-deal-vodafone

I have no great compulsion to distract a football thread given the negative remarks on here, I've done enough to point out the Vodafone claim is a myth, but since it still seems to be something you and others might believe (and in doing so get the perception that papers are right, big business is evil, taxing everyone is great) let me just point out again, this £6bn dodge doesn't exist. It's a myth, very creative but inconsistent accounting by critics.

It concerns money made by Vodafone in a German business they bought (Mannesman) for which they paid German taxes. The figure they're accused of is based on a calculation of UK corporation tax for profits in Germany. It was never a tax bill they owed. If they had to pay tax in the UK on profits in Germany then we'd have to accept foreign multi-nationals paying tax in their home countries for profits in the UK - and we don't, and rightly so.

We can't have it both ways.

Vodafone do NOT owe £6bn unless we want to give foreign firms operating in the UK back many billions in tax. UK tax laws DO have provision for firms to still pay taxes on overseas profits on the difference between UK rates and the overseas rate paid (to prevent the effect of tax havens). So Vodafone do owe the difference between 30% UK corporation tax and the rate paid for their German profits. This is in Vodafone's accounts, they put aside £2bn to pay that tax bill, pending agreement with the HMRC.

Sorry to go off topic but too often there is garbage published in the papers and used to beat business with, which becomes matter of fact for people, however untrue it is. Our own club's owner runs a leading UK plc and likely operates with the same assumption of law breaking simply because he makes money. It's not fair, it's a cheap political shot which says nothing for the good these people do. All this being said, far more importantly, Brett Pittman is ******* awesome.

Had to laugh when I just read this hard luck story - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17067079

Poor ickle hard up diddums.... They can't even afford to have Liam Lawrence's injury assessed... ON HIS BLOODY WAGES I'M SURE HE CAN AFFORD TO PAY IT HIMSELF!!!! I know he's not been paid since December, but I'm sure he's not exactly destitute....if he wanted to play for the club he'd make sure he got a scan and relevant treatment. There are ways to try and get public sympathy on your side, but this isn't one of those ways for me.

I were a Rangers fan I'd be very concerned by this morning's news!

Former Portsmouth and current Sheffield Wednesday chairman Milan Mandaric is interested in buying Rangers.

The administrators revealed on Thursday they had already heard from parties interested in the crisis-hit club.

And BBC Scotland has learned the Serbian - last week cleared of two counts of tax evasion - is one of those to have contacted Duff and Phelps.

Mandaric, who has also been in charge at Leicester, took over at Hillsborough 11 months ago.

More to follow.

I were a Rangers fan I'd be very concerned by this morning's news!

Former Portsmouth and current Sheffield Wednesday chairman Milan Mandaric is interested in buying Rangers.

The administrators revealed on Thursday they had already heard from parties interested in the crisis-hit club.

And BBC Scotland has learned the Serbian - last week cleared of two counts of tax evasion - is one of those to have contacted Duff and Phelps.

Mandaric, who has also been in charge at Leicester, took over at Hillsborough 11 months ago.

More to follow.

He wasn't at fault for portsmouth's troubles, and he's saved both Liecester and Wednesday from administration I wouldn't be too worried

He wasn't at fault for portsmouth's troubles, and he's saved both Liecester and Wednesday from administration I wouldn't be too worried

Yeah but Rangers have already got tax problems and if Mandaric comes..... Oh wait, he was found innocent wasn't he

I think Rangers are in a situation where they will have to let whoever comes up with the most convincing offer take over. They're well and truly up shit creek. On the plus side, maybe we can have a few of their players when they get made redundant?

Archived