IGNORED

David Lloyds Pre-Match Warm Up

eastonboy

Lets face it...however much some fans try to get some enthusiasm going at the Gate, it isn't going to happen. Unless a lot of things change.

For a start...we are probably one of the worst Clubs for a 'Sing when you're winning' attitude and and have been for years.

Secondly imho, the whole atmosphere at our club nosedived after Coppel left and KM was installed as manager.

We went from the sublime to the ridiculous overnight. I believe many fans have lost faith, even though a minority try to keep positive.

From talking to friends who are fans, all feel Losing Lansdown as a figurehead is a backward move and they are not particularly fond of how the new board have started.

Many feel deflated with the ongoing saga of the new stadium. Many feel we are doomed to relegation and years back in League 1.

From the feel good factor of the Wembley Play off's...Getting Coppell to sign as manager, signing David James (lets face it, at the time most were gobsmacked), talk in the press of us being 'dark horses to go up and World Cup football at AV to enduring a terrible 2 years of poor football, poor decision making by the Club and a general feeling amongst football supporters, that football as a whole is now far removed from the working class man.

Trying to sing and cheer about something, that deep down you don't believe in anymore, is hard work. It has to come naturally, and the passion for this Club by many has ceased to exist. Many are punch drunk and feel helpless. The feelings on this board, imho, are generally not the feelings of the majority of City fans that attend games.

How depressing. Even more depressing is that I agree with all of it. We have to try and dig ourselves out of this rut, though, and not give up, even if it is hard. The last two years have been terrible, a total disaster, but we do have a decent young manager and if we can get through this season and stay up, then he might be able to get us going again. It's time for the club to pull together and it's good to see fans and the club trying to get things going on. Let's not give up all hope just yet.

What on earth must Palarse fans been thinking?!

I know what the club are trying to do and fair play for doing so, however Dave L shouting like your old man after a few beers down the microphone is not going to get anyone going, also the last podcast where every other sentance was how important fan noise is was bordering on being patronizing.

I do get behind the team as much as I feel is necessary, however when you're freezing cold watching dire football then it's very difficult to get enthusiastic.

Oh and the scarf thing was just juvenile and a total waste of time!

What on earth must Palarse fans been thinking?!

I know what the club are trying to do and fair play for doing so, however Dave L shouting like your old man after a few beers down the microphone is not going to get anyone going, also the last podcast where every other sentance was how important fan noise is was bordering on being patronizing.

I do get behind the team as much as I feel is necessary, however when you're freezing cold watching dire football then it's very difficult to get enthusiastic.

Oh and the scarf thing was just juvenile and a total waste of time!

Have you ever looked up the word miserable? Might be appropriate mate.

If Dave has read through this thread and still believes that "the jury is out" on his pre-match performance, then I salute his optimism.

Very droll. I'm getting lots of really good suggestions about what else could be done via email and twitter, and on here. Keep them coming.

Not having made it back for a game yet this season, I have yet to sample our latest attempts at whipping up the crowd. That said, the last bit of music I personally liked being played before the game was

Took me by complete surprise. And, as for playing music after goals? No, in my view.

My thoughts for what they are worth... the music played is far too loud, tends to drown out any songs rather than encourage them. I'm sure people like myself who remember the atmosphere of the 'good old days' can't remember any music being played at all in the prematch build up, people created their own.

We had loads of varied songs, even doo be doo be dooo was sung with gusto. It was fun and you could sing or chat to the person next to you without having to shout or revert to sign language. people seemes to arrive earlier and the atmosphere would build up. I guess thats the downside of all seater stadiums where you have a set seat and don't have to be in early to try to get a good view, people arrive so late now. look around the ground and it's still half empty with minutes to go, that doesn't help.

Also the FA handshake thing is awful, but i guess thats out of our hands sadly.

We don't need dancing girls, the cheerleaders I absolutely hate and are completely pointless. They are bigged up and it's not their gig. Please revise ASAP.

DaveL did well, but I felt uncomfortable for him. It's a good idea if he can get the right balance. Years ago the Gas had an awful anouncer, he was so bad I still remember his name (Keith Valle), we have to be very careful we don't slide down that route.

I want the atmosphere to be improved as much as anyone else, but what did it as much as anything were the usual bad decisions by the officials I'm afraid.

Personally speaking, if I wanted to hear that sort of thing (Announcer geeing up the crowd), I would probably watch American Football to where it is better suited, but I don't so found it very cringeworthy, but Kudos to Dave for at least trying.

This.

When I was 12 or 13 (early 80s) I bought an air-horn from Halford's in town and took it down to the EE a few times. Got a few chants going (er, er, er, er, er, er, er, er, er, city...), but it got too cold, and my timing was amaturish to say the least. I also kept trodding over the 'city' chant!

Enough has been said about lack of chanting (and from the middle of the Dolman I join in when I can hear A/B block sing), but what really p1sses me off is that next to no-one can be bothered to even clap a few times when something half decent happens.

but what really p1sses me off is that next to no-one can be bothered to even clap a few times when something half decent happens.

Yes this does amaze me too.. takes all sorts I s'pose..!

I'm still in favour of DaveL, at least until the footy and fans can get the atmos going by themselves..

Spudski is right of course but who cares, let's just sing anyway? :dunno:

If Dave has read through this thread and still believes that "the jury is out" on his pre-match performance, then I salute his optimism.

Presumably the same jury who thought that Rosie47 (in 'arry's words "a bonus") was used for "investment" purposes.

i remember it sung in the 70's. It's just a catchy little easy to remember tune. Don't know why it started. It's from a kids film, Tom Thumb I think.

I remember thousands of us singing it at wolves I think in the 80's. It was a great song as everybody joined in and the 'ooooooooohhhhh' build up before launching into the 'do be doo' got longer and longer and went on for ages. Think we got hammered on the pitch and even the managers had a fight infront of the dug outs but boy did we ever sing!

As a general point, if you believe OTIB is an accurate cross-section of the fanbase, I salute your nativity.

Very droll. I'm getting lots of really good suggestions about what else could be done via email and twitter, and on here. Keep them coming.

The club are looking to help! Lets get behind them and see what can be achieved! If we are going to ask for the clubs help, for example giving us 3/4 flags to wave per stand, allow us a surfer ect then we need them onside! Dave L is looking to help us! Look what they have done already - coverage on the website, podcast, otib ect all relating to improving atmosphere!

FORZA REVOLUTION - BRING SCARVES, FLAGS, BALOONS, 25/02/12 - PARTY TIME

Archived