IGNORED

David Lloyds Pre-Match Warm Up

eastonboy

No memory of when this used to be a weekly thing under the fella before Dave?

Yes, I do remember that and I remember it being equally cringeworthy. I'm surprised Dave has forgotten or thought his rendition would fare better.

The best pre-match entertainment I can remember is an opera-singing City fan who sang a few Wurzel songs (which is more than the Wurzels do :icecream: ) in operatic mode. He was fantastic.

The worse? Tony Robinson's weedy voice mumbling "Come on you reds".

I agree with the sentiments regarding over-Americanisation of pre-match build up. I think the club should stick to playing songs that the fans sing, but also supporters should at last try and create an atmosphere themselves. If you don't sing or shout, then don't moan about there being no atmosphere while others are trying to make noise!

i remember a few years ago, the team would be welcomed onto the pitch, and a chorus of red army would ring out, then, when the manager (it was gj) arrived, he would clap, and then a outbreak of "there's only 1 Gary Johnson" would be heard.

Think you might have a case of the rose-tinted specs, our atmosphere has rarely been up there with the best.

FWIW Brighton & Hull both had it pretty good, but with the advantage of a new stadium with a couple of video screens each.

Cheeky git. I'm 56. It's doing this job that makes me look older ;-) My thoughts on last night in my latest blog which will go live tomorrow

Just want to say thanks to you and Tim (Elfmud) I think it was unfortunate that the game you first tried it was so poorly attended (due to Valentines no doubt)

It's a work in progress I'm sure you'll agree but the fact you are trying to find a way to improve things is testament to the new attitude the club seems to have regarding the supporters.

I think the trouble in terms of atmosphere is actually during the match, so there isn't really much the announcers can do. It's an attitude thing of course, we're particularly apathetic in the south west.

I think the guy tries his best but it all ends up being a bit cringe worthy. The guy who used to do the teams and shout COME ON YOU REDS (when we got promoted) was a lot more charasmatic. I think Lloyd is very good at all the serious stuff but when it comes to geeing up the crowd it's a bit like watching your Dad dance at a party. All his efforts at HT entertainment have been nothing short of awful from the impossible Dink up me cider to the ludicrous game he tried at last seasons curtain raiser vs Millwall, people on a bungee rope on a bouncy castle kicking balls in to goals that got axed after one trial. When he danced with our terrible cheerleaders the other week it was all a bit embarassing and I'm sure he realised that. But it's all a bit Alan Partridge at times. 10 out of 10 for effort though.

Cheeky git. I'm 56. It's doing this job that makes me look older ;-) My thoughts on last night in my latest blog which will go live tomorrow

Fair play for giving it a go and trying to improve the atmosphere. If we just keep suggesting ideas and thoughts on here, i.e. scarves, and the club respond to them as they have done, then eventually i'm sure we'll get something good going! We just have to work out what it is!

Fair shout Dave for trying - Certainly took some gonads????

Just how many pints and of what had you drunk before your big moment!!!!!

Anything that improves the atmosphere is to be admired.

Just one thing I would really prefer "Drink up the Zider" at the final whistle than before the start, but, certainly made me smile.

Good on you DL.

No memory of when this used to be a weekly thing under the fella before Dave?

To be fair I really liked that guy, not sure why but he just seemed to be able to pass energy around the ground. Nothing against David Lloyd who has done a sound job for the last few years but the dude that preceded him managed to pull off ' come on you reds' without the cringe factor.

Thought the come on you reds shout was good and approve of the club trying to make an effort.

Anyone watching the Milan vs Arsenal game at the moment? Listen to how they get behind there announcer and raise the coluoured paper!

Just wait and see what happens if we get to the prem one day in the future in our new ground, the stadium will be full every week and then the opportunity for these cleeks will be removed.

Why the hell have certain people got such an attitude! We are all equal as supporters, no one better than the next man!

I sometimes wonder how much forums and the negativity affect our atmosphere!

Everyone says the old days were better in terms of atmos - did we have these forums then?

FORZA REVOLUTION- Just do what ya want

Thought the come on you reds shout was good and approve of the club trying to make an effort.

Anyone watching the Milan vs Arsenal game at the moment? Listen to how they get behind there announcer and raise the coluoured paper!

Just wait and see what happens if we get to the prem one day in the future in our new ground, the stadium will be full every week and then the opportunity for these cleeks will be removed.

Why the hell have certain people got such an attitude! We are all equal as supporters, no one better than the next man!

Everyone says the old days were better in terms of atmos - did we have these forums then?

Every one is trying hard and I salute them but dear god alive the solution is so so SO simple UNRESTRICTED BLOCKS IN ALL AREAS OF THE GROUND WHERE LIKE MINDED INDIVIDUALS CAN MEET AND "DO THEIR THING" with no stupid restriction.

I would bet my entire life savings (£7.42p) that it would get the ground rocking.

I went to the Bristol Rovers vs Aston Villa game, Don't kill me just yet!

Rovers play a medley of songs before, goodnight irene, hi ho silver lining etc

The who end (bass or whatver) clap along and sing and it does get the atmosphere going, even though they are out of time.

Just thinking maybe a medley would be a good idea for us? Drink up the cider, hi ho silver lining, one for the bristol city, red red robin etc?

I went to the Bristol Rovers vs Aston Villa game, Don't kill me just yet!

Rovers play a medley of songs before, goodnight irene, hi ho silver lining etc

The who end (bass or whatver) clap along and sing and it does get the atmosphere going, even though they are out of time.

Just thinking maybe a medley would be a good idea for us? Drink up the cider, hi ho silver lining, one for the bristol city, red red robin etc?

The trouble is, we've tried that and it doesn't seem to work. The liquidator, drink up thy cider, red robin etc. I just don't get it with city fans, it's as if we're scared to come out and sing without getting a glare from other supporters.

I guess I'm in a minority then as I thought DaveL trying to get each stand going, cutting drink up thy zider straight to the chorus, reading out the team sheet early to get crowd going was good.. at least they're trying something. I suggest they keep trying.

I know the main problem has been the football served up but don't blame the club for trying.

Oh, and they do play "drink up thy zider" at the end... most people can't seem to get out of the ground fast enough tho :-)

The trouble is, we've tried that and it doesn't seem to work. The liquidator, drink up thy cider, red robin etc. I just don't get it with city fans, it's as if we're scared to come out and sing without getting a glare from other supporters.

It worked when we played some of the songs at Wembley!

Shame we have got 3times our normal crowd at ashton gate too

I haven't heard hi ho silver lining down the gate pre match though. Maybe one of the problems is that the everyone is in the bar?

I guess I'm in a minority then as I thought DaveL trying to get each stand going, cutting drink up thy zider straight to the chorus, reading out the team sheet early to get crowd going was good.. at least they're trying something. I suggest they keep trying.

I know the main problem has been the football served up but don't blame the club for trying.

Oh, and they do play "drink up thy zider" at the end... most people can't seem to get out of the ground fast enough tho :-)

My point was they should only play it at the end. And then only if we win!

It's a joyous song and if - for example - we've been dicked 0-3 by a nondescript Leeds side, I don't think anyone should be encouraged to drink cider!!! :gaah:

Can't blame DL for trying to ramp up the atmosphere but the whole thing was a bit meh because A) Poor turnout on a chilly Valentines Day night B) Uninspiring opposition C) We've been playing shit. I don't think you can polish a turd and i don't think you can create a buzz around a match that most weren't pumped up for.

Lets face it...however much some fans try to get some enthusiasm going at the Gate, it isn't going to happen. Unless a lot of things change.

For a start...we are probably one of the worst Clubs for a 'Sing when you're winning' attitude and and have been for years.

Secondly imho, the whole atmosphere at our club nosedived after Coppel left and KM was installed as manager.

We went from the sublime to the ridiculous overnight. I believe many fans have lost faith, even though a minority try to keep positive.

From talking to friends who are fans, all feel Losing Lansdown as a figurehead is a backward move and they are not particularly fond of how the new board have started.

Many feel deflated with the ongoing saga of the new stadium. Many feel we are doomed to relegation and years back in League 1.

From the feel good factor of the Wembley Play off's...Getting Coppell to sign as manager, signing David James (lets face it, at the time most were gobsmacked), talk in the press of us being 'dark horses to go up and World Cup football at AV to enduring a terrible 2 years of poor football, poor decision making by the Club and a general feeling amongst football supporters, that football as a whole is now far removed from the working class man.

Trying to sing and cheer about something, that deep down you don't believe in anymore, is hard work. It has to come naturally, and the passion for this Club by many has ceased to exist. Many are punch drunk and feel helpless. The feelings on this board, imho, are generally not the feelings of the majority of City fans that attend games.

I do find it funny how people complain about the atmosphere at Ashton Gate and then also complain when someone tries to make a difference. David Lloyd is someone I respect for lots of different reasons, he is City through and through and is a cog that IMO makes Bristol City tick. At least he had the passion and bottle to try something different unlike some of our fans it seems.

Being away for a few days I wasnt at the game on Tuesday, but the consensus on here seems to be, respect to DaveL for giving it a go with a caveat it was a bit embarrasing. Just reading his blog today I dont think he's concerned if it is embarrassing, if its helping the atmosphere. Personally, I think supporter led vocal backing is better, but embarrassing or not I dont see how it can detract from the atmposphere, so why not and fair play to him.

The main problem with the atmosphere is the continued suppression of the East End into a tiny corner. Is there another football ground in the country where its "end" has been given over to the away fans? Appreciate this was a decision taken long ago by a previous board so I'm not blaming the current regime however it wouldn't be impossible to move the away fans.

Archived