IGNORED

Would League One Be So Bad?

Barrs Court Red

Ok forgetting what an utter financial disaster it would be for a minute, would it be the end of the world if that's the league City find themselves in next season?

At the moment the club is fighting a losing battle at treading water. There's no scope to play youngsters, and a number of players will soon be out of contract. The matchday experiance in the Chamionship is at best tepid.

Clubs that have gone down have used it as a chance to rebuild and get some much needed momentum. Norwich and Southampton are good examples.

Looking at Championship sides that have gone down, Leicester came straight back up, as did Norwich. Sheff U look like they may do the same. Peterbrough also did it.

You could say that Southampton, Wednesday and Leeds didn't bounce back, but all 3 clubs had major financial difficulties.

Matchdays tended to be more often than not enjoyable in league one, we also saw far more local lads given ago, rather than waste of spaces like Stewart and Hunt.

Now remembering the financial situation, the loss of TV and gate reciepts would be noticeable, but aren't 16 players out of contract in June? There are more games though, JPT plus extra FA cup rounds.

Clasping at straws - Very much so!

Keeping city small time attitude. we should be fighting tooth and nail to stay up. league one was bloody awful where we got to go to carlisle and hartlepool instead of the leeds and west hams. every season now there are big days out and ashton gate will be buzzing when west ham are here. playing cheltenham again is just second best.

it would be a disaster of epic proportions in every sense of the word.

it would be a disaster of epic proportions in every sense of the word.

Come on Esmond, I thought you had a better grip on life.

If we get relegated, more like when IMO, who would've died? Who's been given six months to live?

You get what you deserve in football, we're rubbish. Not only rubbish but gutless. As long as it continues we'll go down

How can it possibly be worse than the last 2 years? Going to games is painful at present.

With the ooc players at least we could cut our cloth accordingly.

Imagine watching the dross of the last 2 years, but mostly at grounds with crowds of around 7k and without the likes of Albert or any of the other (few) decent players that we have, as they will have moved on.

Hardly inspiring stuff!

I'm not sure it would be all that bad TBH. At least we would be able to attract the better players for that level of football. If we went down and we were doing well we would get similar crowds to now as a bit of success tends to see a few armchair fans crawl out of the woodwork.

Having said all that , I dont really want to be playing Crawley , Colchester or Carlisle on a Tuesday night , so , pull your ******* fingers out City !!

Imagine watching the dross of the last 2 years, but mostly at grounds with crowds of around 7k and without the likes of Albert or any of the other (few) decent players that we have, as they will have moved on.

Hardly inspiring stuff!

We'll get some new players. Maybe ones with some guts. We had players with guts and ability before in league one. remember the names such as brooker, Murray, Taylor, docherty and there are more.

It can't be worse than now. It can't. It's horrendous at present unless you go to watch the oposition. I dont, i go to watch city.

When we finally got promoted last time around, we got to an inch of the Prem, that will not happen again.

If we would have strengthened in the January window, we would IMHO opinion have got promoted, automatically.

If by chance we rebuilt in league one, would we have the financial clout to invest heavily enough to survive, let alone push for the play off in the championship, I doubt it.

The championship gets stronger financially every season, parachute payments from the Premier League and foreign investment means the league is getting even stronger, our relegation to league one would (will) be catastrophic, I don't think that is an exaggeration.

Forgetting the finance side, would it be so bad? Bloody hell yes it would. We're playing in one of the most competitive league in the world. I'm in this for winning, I want to team I love to be playing on the biggest stages in front of worldwide crowds. I'm Bristolian through and through and I want our football club to show the world exactly what an amazing bunch of people we're..

You reds

I have some great memories of watching City in the lower divisions, you have to remember those 9 years it took to get back, I think we finished in the top half of the league every season. You don't get so many overpaid under performing players.

On the other side, media coverage goes down, not that it's very good at the moment, but one of the worse things is the amount of away fans that come to AG, often only a few hundred, meaning a crap atmosphere.

At the end of the day if we go down the decent supporters will still be there, we should see some good entertaining and successful football and hopefully this time come back up in a season or two.

League One would be an absolute disaster. The division is stronger than ever, and much stronger than when we last got out of it. I personally feel that relegation at the moment could see the end of the club in its current form. No ground, all better players going amongst other things to save money. If we go down I'm not sure when we'll be back.

By the way, when Millen left the majority on here thought we were doomed and most of us said we would take 1 place above the relegation zone like a shot.

3 or 4 months later we are bang on track for that 4th from bottom finish and I think we will do it. Others seem to have expected more all of a sudden.

By the way, when Millen left the majority on here thought we were doomed and most of us said we would take 1 place above the relegation zone like a shot.

3 or 4 months later we are bang on track for that 4th from bottom finish and I think we will do it. Others seem to have expected more all of a sudden.

That's a good point. However it seems at the moment our default setting is to lose 0-3 , and it's got people panicking.

12 - 15 points needed for safety IMO , but I think we will need to get most of those points at Home.

No not at all. We are a strong side in that league. I would rather us be in the top half of league one, scoring goals, playing with players who want to be here, want to play, and enjoying doing it, than what ever it is that we are being subjected to at present. Its not nice, very painful to watch, not enjoyable at all, played by people whom could not care less, and who/are UNINTERESTED !!!

No not at all. We are a strong side in that league. I would rather us be in the top half of league one, scoring goals, playing with players who want to be here, want to play, and enjoying doing it, than what ever it is that we are being subjected to at present. Its not nice, very painful to watch, not enjoyable at all, played by people whom could not care less, and who/are UNINTERESTED !!!

So we would be playing for promotion to....... errrrrrr........the league we are currently in!

So we would be playing for promotion to....... errrrrrr........the league we are currently in!

I would rather watch a promotion chasing top half side playing some local lads, giving it everything, heart and soul, than some over rated, over paid journey men who could not give a toss. Love it when local lads get there chance. Some of the best players i have seen here were local. Would trade this to the mess we have at present. I love football, dont really give a sh*t where we play it, just want to see some ******* passion on the pitch

My main worry is that if we go down, how long would it take us to come back? We're Bristol City, we'd never bounce back at the first attempt. We'd be stuck in the hellhole that is 3rd tier football, with rubbish crowds, a dire atmosphere (yes, even worse than now) and watching us get beat by hungrier, smaller clubs. Remember how it was before? With the exception of one thrilling season under Wilson when we won 5-4 at Mansfield and did Cardiff home and away it was absolutely awful. Add to this that we have spent our Championship years losing to lower league dross in the cups, who's to stay we won't be losing to this dross regularly in League One?

There is no way relegation would be anything but a total disaster for our club. Bye bye Albert, bye bye Liam... Why are we as Bristol City fans always prepared to accept failure?

We must stay in this division this season and then get rid of all the gutless, overpaid shit that we're currently paying the wages of. Problem is, I don't think these pussies can keep us up this season, and League One football will become a reality again. And, seriously, where do we go then? It could be a long time til we come back.

I'm seriously worried.

I would rather watch a promotion chasing top half side playing some local lads, giving it everything, heart and soul, than some over rated, over paid journey men who could not give a toss. Love it when local lads get there chance. Some of the best players i have seen here were local. Would trade this to the mess we have at present. I love football, dont really give a sh*t where we play it, just want to see some ******* passion on the pitch

Passion is what we all want to see, but do you really think we can produce local lads of sufficient quality anymore?

This club needs a new Scott Murray or Brian Tinnion - a figurehead who the supporters can relate to, who wears their heart on their sleeve.

Basically I guess it boils down to what fans want to watch. If it's league 1 then we'd be a bigger club that would attract better players than most other teams in the league and win more than we'd lose. If it's the championship then we'd be a smaller club who won't be able to bring in the better players in the league and lose more than we'd win. Bigger crowds in the championship but on the other hand visiting Leicester is the same as visiting Derby, Southampton, Coventry, Hull, etc etc. In league 1 we'd be going to places with a bit more character.

Whatever happens I'll still go!

Come on Esmond, I thought you had a better grip on life.

If we get relegated, more like when IMO, who would've died? Who's been given six months to live?

You get what you deserve in football, we're rubbish. Not only rubbish but gutless. As long as it continues we'll go down

I agree "As long as it continues we'll go down", the problem really is the 1st division is a very physical division as was proved at Crawley and we will never cope, teams either come straight back up or crash and burn, I suspect we will be the former and as for the romantic notion of some postings on this thread of the 9 years we spent trying to get out of that division and the players giving their heart and soul, not the way I remember it in fact it's de ja vu with todays dilemma overpaid, under performing, gutless, couldn't give a toss, piss artist players who couldn't cut it on cold wet nights at the further flung reaches of the country, until GJ came in a changed it around in our promotion season, I cannot remember many committed performances, certainly not with any consistency.

You seem to have painted a picture in your head that pleases you.

Unfortunately that may well not be the case. Was that really how it was the last time we were in league 1? No, it wasn't, it was season after season of under achievement followed by seriously flirting with relegation before GJ was appointed, having to watch 3rd tier quality football. Personally I've had far too many years of that.

I agree with this post to an extent and personally have some very fond memories of League One. However, the point of football is to succeed. Play at the highest level you can and push on so of course we want to be in the Championship, even if it is fighting for our lives down the bottom. The point on quality of football and overpaid ******* is something that I can relate to though.

My main worry is that if we go down, how long would it take us to come back?

It took us 9 years to get out of it last time.

NINE YEARS.

These two posts sum it up perfectly. If we did go down (god forbid) we all know we wouldn't come straight back up. We're Bristol City for godsake, 3rd and a playoff loss would be guarenteed! On a serious note League One is tough atm with a lot of big clubs in and we wouldn't be as dominant as we were in the past. It would be tough to get out of and as Tom has suggested we could be stuck down there for god knows how long again.

Archived