IGNORED

Greens To Fight Memorial Ground Plans

Barrs Court Red

Supermarket group Sainsbury’s has unveiled its latest redevelopment plans for Bristol’s Memorial Stadium – and admitted it has learnt lessons from the planning wrangle over its controversial Ashton Gate scheme.

But the plans have already come under fire from local campaigners, who claim the “callous” move would “divide communities and split friendships”.

Sainsbury’s plans at the Memorial Stadium – home to Bristol Rovers and Bristol Rugby – include a 50,000 sq ft store, up to five small retail units and a ‘home zone’ with 68 homes ranging from three-bedroom town houses to flats. The scheme would create around 350 jobs.

Bristol Rovers want to move to a new £40million, 20,000-seat stadium on UWE’s campus at Frenchay. Selling the Memorial Stadium, which the football club owns, to Sainsbury’s would fund this move.

Sainsbury’s latest plans are on display to the public at the Memorial Stadium today and tomorrow.

Sainsbury’s regional development executive Ben Littman said the group had looked closely at how its redevelopment plans for Ashton Gate were received. The scheme to build a superstore on Bristol City’s ground – so allowing the club to build its own stadium – was rejected by councillors amid a high-profile campaign by some local people and pressure groups who argued it would hit local traders and cause traffic problems.

The revised plans were approved by councillors although council planning officers had recommended refusal.

“We learned some lessons with the Ashton Gate scheme,” said Mr Littman. “The city council pushed us hard on sustainability issues but we hope for a more straightforward process with this scheme.”

While it admits that the store will generate traffic, Sainsbury’s argues that it will help ease congestion in the Horfield area as it would give local people an alternative to driving longer distances to existing supermarkets. It points out that public transport in the area is good with nearby Gloucester Road well served by buses.

The plans include a 450-space underground car park, extensive pedestrian and cycle links with surrounding roads, and a roundabout at the entry to the site from Filton Avenue.

The stadium’s Memorial Gates would be retained as part of a new Memorial Square which would continue the ground’s commitment to the memory of Bristol rugby players who have lost their lives in conflict.

If the plans are approved – and Rovers gets consent for their new stadium – work would start on the site in 2014.

But Green Party campaigners have vowed to fight the plans, saying the supermarket was not needed or wanted, and would “suck the life out of Gloucester Road”.

While supporting the plans for a new sports stadium at UWE, the party claimed the firm was using the city’s love of sport as a reason to build a new store.

Green Party spokesperson for Bishopston, Daniella Radice, said: “Supermarkets do not have a long term future, they require huge amounts of fossil fuels, unthinkable food-miles and low costs to farmers to survive. Their aim is for short-term profit rather than long term, affordable good food.

“We are categorically not against sport and welcome the move to build a new stadium near UWE.”

Ms Radice called on residents to object to the plans at the Memorial Stadium.

The football club has planning approval for its own redevelopment of the Memorial Stadium, which include a 18,500 seat stadium an 84-room hotel and 550 student flats. However, funding for this scheme would be harder to obtain than selling the site to Sainsbury’s and using the proceeds to build a stadium at UWE.

Mr Littman from Sainsbury’s added: “We would encourage everyone from the local community to come to the exhibition and discuss the proposal with us.

“Their ideas will help to ensure that the proposal evolves in such a way as to offer most benefit to the local area.

“Sainsbury’s team includes architects, planning consultants and highways experts. As well as listening to people we will also be there to respond to questions about the proposed development.”

The public exhibition is in the Bristol Room and is open until 2.30pm today and from 10am to 6pm tomorrow.

So not against sport, but they seem to campaign against everything sport related. The Greens and their ilk have been a thorn in our side since day one, and are a prime example of why getting things done in Bristol is just so hard.

Personally I think that the Memorial Ground should stay as it is, but I look forward to the usual suspects getting involved in this campaign.

That's why I couldn't understand the gash laughing at our problems, it's literally a case of what goes around comes around!

Exactly what I thought. Now who's laughing!?!?!?

As someone said a few weeks back, our fight for the stadium is a benchmark for what they should expect to go through and they basically said it was a done deal and there would be no problem whatsoever with their planning and consulations and it will be plain sailing...!

Oh yeah, of course it is. Enjoy the ride guys!

MM

I fear that Rovers may have a far bigger battle with the Sainsbury's applicant that we did. By all accounts we got off fairly lightly and had the advantage of it being more of a relocation than a new build. There must be two big Tesco's within 2 miles of the memorial ground.. going to be a toughie

I fear that Rovers may have a far bigger battle with the Sainsbury's applicant that we did. By all accounts we got off fairly lightly and had the advantage of it being more of a relocation than a new build. There must be two big Tesco's within 2 miles of the memorial ground.. going to be a toughie

Aye its going to be very hard for them what with the history of the minimal patch and all, I'm sure we could get it protected some how,

Lets give Crispin a ring and ask him to front a group call S.H.A.M

I ******* hate the ******* green party so ******* much.

They are such a pointless party - the only thing they do is stop progress.

I hope rovers win their battles and get their stadium built.

Me too Mate, hate them with a passion !!

That said; Brighton have the only Green M.P. in the U.K. , and she could do nothing to stop their ground going ahead.

Plus, compared to North Street, there are many, many more small independent retailers who do genuinely thrive in that area. Numerous Tesco Metro, Sainsburys Local and a big Co-Op there too. I honestly can't see the need for a Sainsburys there. Add to that the history and emotional nature of the Memorial Stadium and what it stands for (war memorial etc) I think they are a long way from getting the diggers in...sadly so are we.

its not so much the tesco's that will be a problem, it will be local people who like glous road the way it is. Lots of small shops, run by local people, many of whom use the local bristol note issued by Bristol credit union. There are already 4 mid sized stores there , people local have made it clear that they do not want any more, on Glous road, or near by. Tesco's brought the old garage on Ralph Road a few years ago, refitted it, then did not obtain planning permission. After locals put up very strong reasons to why this should not happen. Will be shocked if this app every goes through.

By the Gasbuster It is likely that the Stokes Croft / Cheltenham Road / Gloucester Road Hippies / Smellies / Anarchists / Wasters are going to want to get involved with this fight as well. I think this says more about you as a person. Not sure how well you know the area! But have to love the way in which you have placed people into some kind of subculture who seem to be all below you in the pecking order of life. Very narrow minded, throw away comment!

its not so much the tesco's that will be a problem, it will be local people who like glous road the way it is. Lots of small shops, run by local people, many of whom use the local bristol note issued by Bristol credit union. There are already 4 mid sized stores there , people local have made it clear that they do not want any more, on Glous road, or near by. Tesco's brought the old garage on Ralph Road a few years ago, refitted it, then did not obtain planning permission. After locals put up very strong reasons to why this should not happen. Will be shocked if this app every goes through.

By the Gasbuster It is likely that the Stokes Croft / Cheltenham Road / Gloucester Road Hippies / Smellies / Anarchists / Wasters are going to want to get involved with this fight as well. I think this says more about you as a person. Not sure how well you know the area! But have to love the way in which you have placed people into some kind of subculture who seem to be all below you in the pecking order of life. Very narrow minded, throw away comment!

Nothing wrong with people having an opinion, but the level of violence used by those people was totally unacceptable !!

Genuinely hope both grounds get the green light.

Whilst I have no doubt that some Rovers fans actively protested against our cause, there will have no doubt been some who saw the bigger picture and wished us well.

North Somerset City vs South Gloucestershire Rovers maybe, but moving to make both clubs more self sustainable and subsequently competitive can only be good for the region.

Nothing wrong with people having an opinion, but the level of violence used by those people was totally unacceptable !!

Many people have different opinions, does not always make them right. The issue of the riot that happened in stokes croft, which is a different issue was reported in a very bias way by the local press. There are many reports of what really happened which were not reported by the local press. The police would of been seen in a bad light if this were to be reported. But violence did happen, on both sides, and the issue at hand that people had been working on, in a peaceful way, became lost once this had happened

Agree - The Glos rd is actually a healthy thriving community of local shops, and despite the efforts of the tesco metro and sainsburys metros seems to be still going - the site just over from the Mem was subject to an attempt to build a supermarket a couple of years ago that was rejected, so I also think this is going to run into obstacles.

The problem with 'enabling development' deals is they tend to focus on the usual cliches - flats/supermarkets etc and in built up areas there will always be opposition to these things - the cricket ground was a case in point. building a 7 story block was NEVER going to get accepted, that was made clear from residents (and the council) from the off, but they ignored it and tried to bulldoze badly planned ideas through only for it to fail. thats then becomes 'anti sport' from the council? no, it just means they need to think more laterally.

the truth is that we are in harsh economic times, speculative investment funding for these sorts of projects isn't available as it was - some of these projects will have to wait

the nonsense posted on here about the green party just betrays a lack of understanding or inability by some to see a wider picture (younger posters?) people may not share your views, but mindless abuse and slagging off only polarises the position - maybe understanding the problems being raised and coming up with sensible, and pragmatic solutions would be better - but that takes too much effort and thinking - it's easier to get ruff and tuff behind your keyboards!

hey ho - youth is wasted on the young.

Agree - The Glos rd is actually a healthy thriving community of local shops, and despite the efforts of the tesco metro and sainsburys metros seems to be still going - the site just over from the Mem was subject to an attempt to build a supermarket a couple of years ago that was rejected, so I also think this is going to run into obstacles.

The problem with 'enabling development' deals is they tend to focus on the usual cliches - flats/supermarkets etc and in built up areas there will always be opposition to these things - the cricket ground was a case in point. building a 7 story block was NEVER going to get accepted, that was made clear from residents (and the council) from the off, but they ignored it and tried to bulldoze badly planned ideas through only for it to fail. thats then becomes 'anti sport' from the council? no, it just means they need to think more laterally.

the truth is that we are in harsh economic times, speculative investment funding for these sorts of projects isn't available as it was - some of these projects will have to wait

the nonsense posted on here about the green party just betrays a lack of understanding or inability by some to see a wider picture (younger posters?) people may not share your views, but mindless abuse and slagging off only polarises the position - maybe understanding the problems being raised and coming up with sensible, and pragmatic solutions would be better - but that takes too much effort and thinking - it's easier to get ruff and tuff behind your keyboards!

hey ho - youth is wasted on the young.

Nice post, was going to post something in the same vain, but ended up having a problem with a posters throw away comment. I vote green. Had done for many years, will continue to! Youth was wasted on me, or i wasted it, not sure which, :photo:

Well if the sainburys plan gets stopped then maybe Mr landsdown could put in a counter bid to buy back the memorial ground which i,m sure the rugby fans would agree with.

Prefect for Bristol:- Existing rugby stadium, new city stadium, new rovers stadium, new cricket stadium and just to top it off a new arena and ice rink!

Oh the irony... the GREEN party not wanting development on the Memorial Ground..... there's not been a blade of green on that land for many years now!!!

But jokes aside, redevelopment of any sporting stadium in the city would only be a good thing for all.

Whilst we might question their choice of team... at the end of the day the feelings/passion any fan has for their team is universal.

Archived