IGNORED

Greens To Fight Memorial Ground Plans

Barrs Court Red

Tech point; the Memorial Ground is so named as it was built as a memorial to the sportsmen of Bristol who were killed in WW1.

The Memorial Supermarket does not have the same tone to it. Imagine the outcry if any organisation wanted to get rid of the Cenotaph.

Back on planet earth; why do the gas want a 40,000 stadium? About 20 years ago Salisbury City were approached by Sainsburys. The chain bought the ground and built a new 10,000 all seater stadium for the club. The club realised they'd hardly ever fill anything larger, so received cash & a stadium.

eeeugh Greens.

They will throw a spanner in any works just for the hell of it.

A principle of democracy is that people can spend their money where they wish. If people 'dont want' a new Sainsburys, then the shop won't be profitable and it will close.

Simple as that.

This is my problem with Greens. They are completely and utterly negative, totally conservative and rarely pragmatic.

Supermarket group Sainsbury’s has unveiled its latest redevelopment plans for Bristol’s Memorial Stadium – and admitted it has learnt lessons from the planning wrangle over its controversial Ashton Gate scheme.

But the plans have already come under fire from local campaigners, who claim the “callous” move would “divide communities and split friendships”.

Sainsbury’s plans at the Memorial Stadium – home to Bristol Rovers and Bristol Rugby – include a 50,000 sq ft store, up to five small retail units and a ‘home zone’ with 68 homes ranging from three-bedroom town houses to flats. The scheme would create around 350 jobs.

Bristol Rovers want to move to a new £40million, 20,000-seat stadium on UWE’s campus at Frenchay. Selling the Memorial Stadium, which the football club owns, to Sainsbury’s would fund this move.

Sainsbury’s latest plans are on display to the public at the Memorial Stadium today and tomorrow.

Sainsbury’s regional development executive Ben Littman said the group had looked closely at how its redevelopment plans for Ashton Gate were received. The scheme to build a superstore on Bristol City’s ground – so allowing the club to build its own stadium – was rejected by councillors amid a high-profile campaign by some local people and pressure groups who argued it would hit local traders and cause traffic problems.

The revised plans were approved by councillors although council planning officers had recommended refusal.

“We learned some lessons with the Ashton Gate scheme,” said Mr Littman. “The city council pushed us hard on sustainability issues but we hope for a more straightforward process with this scheme.”

While it admits that the store will generate traffic, Sainsbury’s argues that it will help ease congestion in the Horfield area as it would give local people an alternative to driving longer distances to existing supermarkets. It points out that public transport in the area is good with nearby Gloucester Road well served by buses.

The plans include a 450-space underground car park, extensive pedestrian and cycle links with surrounding roads, and a roundabout at the entry to the site from Filton Avenue.

The stadium’s Memorial Gates would be retained as part of a new Memorial Square which would continue the ground’s commitment to the memory of Bristol rugby players who have lost their lives in conflict.

If the plans are approved – and Rovers gets consent for their new stadium – work would start on the site in 2014.

But Green Party campaigners have vowed to fight the plans, saying the supermarket was not needed or wanted, and would “suck the life out of Gloucester Road”.

While supporting the plans for a new sports stadium at UWE, the party claimed the firm was using the city’s love of sport as a reason to build a new store.

Green Party spokesperson for Bishopston, Daniella Radice, said: “Supermarkets do not have a long term future, they require huge amounts of fossil fuels, unthinkable food-miles and low costs to farmers to survive. Their aim is for short-term profit rather than long term, affordable good food.

“We are categorically not against sport and welcome the move to build a new stadium near UWE.”

Ms Radice called on residents to object to the plans at the Memorial Stadium.

The football club has planning approval for its own redevelopment of the Memorial Stadium, which include a 18,500 seat stadium an 84-room hotel and 550 student flats. However, funding for this scheme would be harder to obtain than selling the site to Sainsbury’s and using the proceeds to build a stadium at UWE.

Mr Littman from Sainsbury’s added: “We would encourage everyone from the local community to come to the exhibition and discuss the proposal with us.

“Their ideas will help to ensure that the proposal evolves in such a way as to offer most benefit to the local area.

“Sainsbury’s team includes architects, planning consultants and highways experts. As well as listening to people we will also be there to respond to questions about the proposed development.”

The public exhibition is in the Bristol Room and is open until 2.30pm today and from 10am to 6pm tomorrow.

So not against sport, but they seem to campaign against everything sport related. The Greens and their ilk have been a thorn in our side since day one, and are a prime example of why getting things done in Bristol is just so hard.

Personally I think that the Memorial Ground should stay as it is, but I look forward to the usual suspects getting involved in this campaign.

This City has a love of SPORT!!!! WHERE AND WHEN!!!!

Tech point; the Memorial Ground is so named as it was built as a memorial to the sportsmen of Bristol who were killed in WW1.

The Memorial Supermarket does not have the same tone to it. Imagine the outcry if any organisation wanted to get rid of the Cenotaph.

Back on planet earth; why do the gas want a 40,000 stadium? About 20 years ago Salisbury City were approached by Sainsburys. The chain bought the ground and built a new 10,000 all seater stadium for the club. The club realised they'd hardly ever fill anything larger, so received cash & a stadium.

It's a £40M 20,000 capacity stadium

As an FGR supporter I find the opposition to new stadiums in Bristol laughable. FGR built a new stadium in an AONB and as far as I can recall, there was virtually no opposition and the whole thing was done and dusted and in use in a couple of years.

It's a £40M 20,000 capacity stadium

As an FGR supporter I find the opposition to new stadiums in Bristol laughable. FGR built a new stadium in an AONB and as far as I can recall, there was virtually no opposition and the whole thing was done and dusted and in use in a couple of years.

That doesn't surprise me. I often find in the Cotswolds (Forest Green being on the edge) that people are pragmatic and genuinely concerned about the community as a whole.

In Bristol there are 'factions' that will always look to themselves and refuse to see the big picture.

Once every 'green' supporter refuses to fly away for their holidays, buys local and practices what they preach in every aspect of their lives I'll treat their views with some value. Lets face it, they have an endless list of Nimby recruits wherever they wish to peddle their nonsense - the green aspect of their belief can be paid a little lip service, just to get the nimbys on side.

Green, my arse. Lets be honest. Most of them will live in modern houses built on what were fields only a few short years ago.

They'll also be the first to complain if they lose their jobs because business is uable to generate profts through red tape etc or because they relocate to a city more accomodating.

The proposed Sainsburys development on the Gloucester Road, next to what was Kwik Save and with another entrance in Ashley Down Road, was rejected a few years back not on the grounds that it would damage independant trade in the Gloucester Road (legally this argument doesn't stand up apparently) but because the Highways Agency's report dictated that the the increase in traffic from shoppers and from deliveries was unsustainable. I can't see how the situation is any different in Filton Avenue; as it is the traffic up and down the Muller Road and Filton Ave's busy enough. I think this will be rejected for the same reasons.

That's why I couldn't understand the gash laughing at our problems, it's literally a case of what goes around comes around!

On a personal note, and similar to many others, I believe your ground should be build. There is obviously part of me that enjoys the problems you have with it, as AV will help your progression on the pitch. My problem with your ground was the whole World Cup thing, hyping the benefits of it to a rediculous level, and screaming that everyone in Bristol was desparate to host the World Cup. Personally, I and many others didnt give a **** about three non English teams competing in the money obsessed FIFA WC. The BEP bias towards your ground and getting the WC was discusting. However, both clubs need to progress, and as much as I love it when your club fails, I wouldn't act on anything that would stop you getting your new ground.

On a personal note, and similar to many others, I believe your ground should be build. There is obviously part of me that enjoys the problems you have with it, as AV will help your progression on the pitch. My problem with your ground was the whole World Cup thing, hyping the benefits of it to a rediculous level, and screaming that everyone in Bristol was desparate to host the World Cup. Personally, I and many others didnt give a **** about three non English teams competing in the money obsessed FIFA WC. The BEP bias towards your ground and getting the WC was discusting. However, both clubs need to progress, and as much as I love it when your club fails, I wouldn't act on anything that would stop you getting your new ground.

As a paper dedicated to Bristol I would (and neither should you) expect nothing other than support of positive improvments for the City and Greater Bristol area, unfortunately you just seem unable to put you tirbal dispute to one side even when fellow reds above and I include myself are more than happy to support BRFC's ground application.

BEP was not showing bias it was postively campagining on a regional issue which is its primary function and the whole point of its existance. You will expect no less of your plans when they go before the planners.

Everyne forgets but the Football club and land owners have had to fight tooth and nail every step of the way just to get this far, with appeal after appeal on each and every aspect of the planiing process. Be it the Sainsbury development of Ashton Gate, the road outside Ashton Vale and Ashton Vale itself and we are still not finished. A bit of positive support from the local paper is not really that much to ask for is it?

I would like to think that I am not as small minded as some gas supporters who actually advertised the petition against our stadium but WTGR to the genuine, if slightly mental, supporters of the 'other lot', I think the Sainsbury's plan will face an almighty battle to get Planning Permission.

2 huge Tesco's within a short distance plus the supermarket opposite the UWE, the small businesses on the Gloucester Rd, the access to the site, the residential area of the new build etc etc.

I just cannot see Sainsbury's getting permission although I wish them well with their application unless you're a very stupid sag called SirBaseltote from Switzerland in which case you're an arsehole! :bored:

I vote green. Had done for many years, will continue to!

Me too. My politics have turned red from green these days.

Personally, I don't want city to move to AV but for me that's more about the direction football is moving than any specific objection to supermarket developments. I think our local Green Party have lost sight of what's important and are being short sighted, reactionary and unnecessarily divisive.

Defending local communities includes protecting our clubs from the corrupting greed corporate football has become and giving them back to us supporters. What's wrong is the pressure that 'demands' new stadia and all the commercial trapping to pay Inflated wages and service huge debts. (Oh, and we will still have to pay more in ticket prices too) If this was addressed then we would not need to sell out to supermarkets or property developers.

Safe standing, keeping clubs in the heartland of their support, and giving fans a real stake in their clubs is what its about for me. Sadly, I think the move to AV will be the end of it for me. The accompanying expectation and clammer for success will suck all the fun out of it.

I'm absolutely certain we got no backing from them, supporters or otherwise.

If that's the case, let them swivell.

You're right that we have had litle or no support from Rovers , but surely it's better for all the sports fans in this city and it's environs , to support the building of new stadia. If everyone pulls together there could be 3 decent stadiums hosting sport locally within the next 5 years. Time to bury the hatchet I think , and get sport in the area thriving.

You're right that we have had litle or no support from Rovers , but surely it's better for all the sports fans in this city and it's environs , to support the building of new stadia. If everyone pulls together there could be 3 decent stadiums hosting sport locally within the next 5 years. Time to bury the hatchet I think , and get sport in the area thriving.

We'll get ours, with or without their support. Not that interested in us being the 'bigger man' I'd rather see them crumble into oblivion...

We'll get ours, with or without their support. Not that interested in us being the 'bigger man' I'd rather see them crumble into oblivion...

And no local rivalry, i miss the build up to City/Rovers games, at work you can wind your friends up have bragging rites, it is healthy. imo to have two football clubs, Bristol is not a small City

It's not about being the bigger man , it's seeing the bigger picture. What if all Rovers fans sign petitions to stop City in our quest for a new ground , then City fans start doing the same to them , Somerset fans set out to scupper Gloucestershire CC's plan? In the end nothing gets built because everyone is against something or other. It's non sensical , if all sports fans pull together everone wins , if not ??

Anyway time weighs heavy , got to get the bus to BS3 now....COYR.

It's not about being the bigger man , it's seeing the bigger picture. What if all Rovers fans sign petitions to stop City in our quest for a new ground , then City fans start doing the same to them , Somerset fans set out to scupper Gloucestershire CC's plan? In the end nothing gets built because everyone is against something or other. It's non sensical , if all sports fans pull together everone wins , if not ??

Anyway time weighs heavy , got to get the bus to BS3 now....COYR.

I'd never stoop to signing petitions like they did, (even though I am firmly against the building of a supermarket on a war memorial) I just don't think they deserve a moments support.

I'm fairly sure the chairmen etc. of all the other local sports clubs supported us publicly but they refused. They made their bed, lie in it.

I'd be more than happy for Gloucester to have a fantastic new cricket ground, Bristol to have their memorial ground back and for us to have a Sports facility to rival any in this division... That would be good for Bristol. They bring nothing good at all.

And no local rivalry, i miss the build up to City/Rovers games, at work you can wind your friends up have bragging rites, it is healthy. imo to have two football clubs, Bristol is not a small City

It's a tiny city when it comes to football. There just isn't the interest to support two clubs at the top level like Sheffield, Manchester, Liverpool etc. have for years.

Them existing holds us back, IMO.

It's a tiny city when it comes to football. There just isn't the interest to support two clubs at the top level like Sheffield, Manchester, Liverpool etc. have for years.

Good shout you need the people of the City to believe, the City's you have mention get good crowds whatever division especially the Sheffield Clubs. Liverpool is a religion to there fans.

I really am totally ambivalent as to whether the Gas exist, nevermind get a new stadium. However, whilst I can't argue with your comments about Bristol not showing much support for footie compared with other similarly sized cities and towns, I would think that lack of success by both teams hasn't done anything to help.

The pro new stadia supporters are quick to point out that such facilities very often lead to success on the pitch and this could in turn help Bristol become more of a footie location.

Any way time to go and get to BS3 :city:

Archived