IGNORED

Arsenal V Spurs

Super

think someone should set up a poll......for me you have to light up a world cup, pele 58 and 70, maradona 86, zidane 96, rossi 82, kempes 78, matthaue 90, romario 94 et al

World cups aren't great tournaments. The champions league is a better tournament than the world cup. Messi lights up every champions league.

Not many world cup games are 'amazing'

World cups aren't great tournaments. The champions league is a better tournament than the world cup. Messi lights up every champions league.

Not many world cup games are 'amazing'

all about personal choice but for me the wordl cup is the ultimate accolade, and the prize every player wants most above champions league....agree the last few world cups havent been great but still the most exciting sporting event in the world

all about personal choice but for me the wordl cup is the ultimate accolade, and the prize every player wants most above champions league....agree the last few world cups havent been great but still the most exciting sporting event in the world

I would disagree. Just look at the amount of top players who have retired to focus on club football.

think someone should set up a poll......for me you have to light up a world cup, pele 58 and 70, maradona 86, zidane 96, rossi 82, kempes 78, matthaue 90, romario 94 et al

Maradona without doubt for me hand of god i hate him and will always but he won the World Cup for them, great players you have mentioned above but they were in good sides. Argentina 86 without him would of been lucky to get out of the group stages.

The quality isn't any better than the champions league either in my opinion as most of the best players play in europe anyway. I think the reason people want to win the world cup so much is because it comes around only every 4 years, if it was every year like the champions league it wouldnt be so attractive to win imo.

I would disagree. Just look at the amount of top players who have retired to focus on club football.

more to do with prolonging career in my opinion though? someone like scholes or shearer retired far too early, but with the money they get paid at club level now its probably more important to not have another 8-10 games a year at a certain age to get a couple more years out of your career

The quality isn't any better than the champions league either in my opinion as most of the best players play in europe anyway. I think the reason people want to win the world cup so much is because it comes around only every 4 years, if it was every year like the champions league it wouldnt be so attractive to win imo.

Imagine you are Captain of England and Chelsea, World Cup or Champions League?, Bobby Moore until we lift it again is the only person to do lift the World Cup for England and will be remembered forever.

more to do with prolonging career in my opinion though? someone like scholes or shearer retired far too early, but with the money they get paid at club level now its probably more important to not have another 8-10 games a year at a certain age to get a couple more years out of your career

Thats what they say it is for, but look at Beckham. Never retired and still going.

Imagine you are Captain of England and Chelsea, World Cup or Champions League?, Bobby Moore until we lift it again is the only person to do lift the World Cup for England and will be remembered forever.

Ofcourse winning something to please the whole nation instead of just the fans of a club would be more satisfying. I still think the Champions League is better entertainment and has better matches which for me makes it a better tournament.

Thats what they say it is for, but look at Beckham. Never retired and still going.

i think thats more to do with his ambassadorial role he has manufactured for himself over the years......its easier for him to say i wont ever give up on playing for my country because he is one of the last die hard english and proud players we have, and he has legendary status amongst the england fans.....fantastic servant to this country

you have got to be joking, best player in the world right now, but Maradon in his pomp was the best the wordl has ever seen....single hadedly won the world cup in 86, no pun intended......guided napoli to 2 league titles, he was the ultimate player, unfortunately i assume your young judging by your posts, if you had seen maradona you would never say messi is the best ever

You say that but his goalscoring record is not as impressive as Messi's and although he had some problems with injuries ad illness, he can't exactly be considered a success at Barca. I'm not saying he wasn't as good but it's very close and there are many things to consider. It's hard to look past Pele for me and the best player I have seen in my lifetime is Zidane, with my favourite (non City player) being Bergkamp.

I was two when Maradona won the World Cup for Argentina so it isn't easy to say whether he is better than Messi.

During my team of watching football (90 onwards), I think the two Ronaldo's, Messi and Zidane are the best - with Messi probably being the best in my eyes.

Have to agree with those names. Defensively the best player has to be Maldini who made 902 club appearences for Milan, only player who will overtake that is Ryan Giggs who has now 900.

Michael Owen on Ronaldo and Messi

think Messi just edges it for me but I reckon Ronaldo would be as good as he is in any team whereas I'm not so sure that Messi would be.

I agree with this. Ronaldo is very much an individual player and could score a stupid amount of goals in any team, while I can't see Messi being as effective in any other team.

Also, the champions league is rubbish.

Rivelinho can win Best player ever for me.

Archived