IGNORED

Mcinnes Defends Formation And Tactics

Keepers Ball

As quoted in the Evening post

When questioned by journalists, he said: "I'm picking a team to get results and the most important thing is the club rather than individuals.

"There is not a problem with the formation and, for me, 4-3-3 was the best way to play against Blackpool.

"It was good enough last week for West Ham, the team at the top of the league, who won 4-1 at Blackpool and stopped them playing and passing the ball through them.

"As far as I'm concerned, 4-3-3 does not favour Brett Pitman.

Well Derek ? We don't have the players West Ham boast so to compare or use the example is ridiculous !

full story here

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Bristol-City-boss-Derek-McInnes-defends-selection/story-15341188-detail/story.html

As quoted in the Evening post

Well Derek ? We don't have the players West Ham boast so to compare or use the example is ridiculous !

full story here

http://www.thisisbri...tail/story.html

I'm sure I'm being far too simplistic, but if his methods are based on "It worked for another side last week" then we really are up shit creek without a paddle

I'm sure I'm being far too simplistic, but if his methods are based on "It worked for another side last week" then we really are up shit creek without a paddle

It very nearly worked against Blackpool: If Wood sticks his chance away or Blackpool don't get a lucky free kick and luckier deflection then we probably would have won.

Would rather Del looked at our opponents and how they play against other systems in real games than take advice from armchair tacticians whose only experience of the game is Football Manager.

It very nearly worked against Blackpool: If Wood sticks his chance away or Blackpool don't get a lucky free kick and luckier deflection then we probably would have won.

Would rather Del looked at our opponents and how they play against other systems in real games than take advice from armchair tacticians whose only experience of the game is Football Manager.

On the money.

Spot on,

Lets be fair guys! The tactics seemed to work perfectly until The players decided to fall asleep and lose their discipline and our center backs decided to have a 25 yards gap in between them! For pro footballer i dont expect DM would think he would have to tell Fonts/ Carey to keep close together to stop the Gap through the middle! My 6 yeard old cousin knows that!

Everyone getting on DM back about Wood on left wing but it worked perfectly in my opinion with Wood lurking on back post and if you lot weren't so short minded you might remember Wood really should of scored 2 sitters in the second half and we should of been 3-0 up! How can you blame DM for a pro football in Wood missing 2 sitters!

He can't play in a 4-5-1 either apparently.

Pitman sounds like a bit of a luxury given these pearls of wisdom.

he is an impact player at best, he started in a 4-5-1 against peterborough and was poor at best but people forget to bring it up as it doesn't suit there argument much like the fact we won more games with johnson in the middle arguement people tend to over look it,

We were fantastic in the first half and a real attacking threat in for the first time in god knows how long then a dodgy free kick and the defense switching off again in the last 10 minutes and we lose all this with out pitman on the pitch, should we have dropped stead who was a threat all game? should we of dropped albert our best player? or should we have dropped wood who unlike pitman can play the attacking role on the left handside ( like the role he's played for West Brom and Birmingham)?

or do we go 4-4-2 and Lose again because of our powderpuff midfield?

Agreed. St Johnstone fans told us that Del and Doc are meticulous in their research of opposition teams.

I think it's a shame that Del feels he needs to come out and defend his tactics considering the limitations he's working under.

Then and again he is of course culpable for our poor run of form, just as the players are.

SPOT ON!!

It didn't McInnes take long to realise what a poor squad of players he'd inherited. So poor in fact that he's brought in 5 loan players to try and improve things. Pearson, Foster, McManus, Wood and Davies, pretty close to half a team.

McInnes has done exactly what Millen did in the same situation last season. Try different formations with players in different positions and consequently be on the end of criticism when it doesn't work out.

The bottom line is that regardless of what formation is used, its the players who make it work and too many simply aren't up to Championship quality. The best we can hope for is that there three teams worse that us come end of April.

It didn't McInnes take long to realise what a poor squad of players he'd inherited. So poor in fact that he's brought in 5 loan players to try and improve things. Pearson, Foster, McManus, Wood and Davies, pretty close to half a team.

McInnes has done exactly what Millen did in the same situation last season. Try different formations with players in different positions and consequently be on the end of criticism when it doesn't work out.

The bottom line is that regardless of what formation is used, its the players who make it work and too many simply aren't up to Championship quality. The best we can hope for is that there three teams worse that us come end of April.

For almost the first time ever, I agree with Robbored, for far too long we have bought in sub standard players due in particular to Johnson AND Millens inability to work with name players...

RR has summed up where we are. We are now relying on a huge amount of luck to stay up and then re-build this summer.

Holloway was very kind in his comments about City after Saturday (easy when you have just won I suppose) and he is convinced we are not going down.

He usually talks a load of BS, but this time I hope he is right.

Being a bit picky here, but Foster and Pearson are not on loan.

But the rest of your view is pretty much spot on I reckon, though, like GJ's team that got to the p/offs proved, sometimes hard work can make up for lack of quality.

But we are not seeing enough of either lately.

I'm more concerned that a manager is seemingly commenting on tactics like this so early into his reign.

It is a case of Millen and to a large degree the end of GJ's reign all over again. We do this, it nearly worked, but ultimately we got 3 past us and we bobbins, again. Don't worry though because next week will be different? and we scout the opposition so that make's it better?

People can blame previous manager's players all they want, every manager in the game has this to deal with at one point, but that our results have got increasingly worse with Del's signings in the team and we look to be even more over the place and rubbish with them rather than without them.

It may get very messy, shortly

Agree with all of this. Whilst I acknowledge the need for a clear out of players in the summer I would expect the first part of McInness' job to be getting the best from what he has (let's not forget this same group were good enough to stay up last year).

Have any of our players improved sinceMcInness arrived?

Spot on mate. So many people think they are experts on this forum, but then that's football, all about opinions!

Great shout. I don't understand why it's taken so long for our fans to work this out. Surely people have seen this struggle coming with the type of players we have been recruiting over the last 3 or 4 seasons.

We have had a poor championship squad for the last 3 seasons prior to this one, and Millen just topped it up whenever he had a chance, despite constantly claiming the squad was too big, only to then sign players like Ryan Taylor, Bolasie, Woolford and not play them! I am surprised it hasn't come to this sooner in all honesty.

Agree with all of this. Whilst I acknowledge the need for a clear out of players in the summer I would expect the first part of McInness' job to be getting the best from what he has (let's not forget this same group were good enough to stay up last year).

Have any of our players improved sinceMcInness arrived?

Nope, but I think this season has shown up how little many on here actually know about football. Lots of people were predicting a good season - Portland Bill being one that springs to mind - because "the squad is more than good enough to be challenging at the top of the league", quite clearly that was utter bollox. It was all Coppell's fault and then Millen's apparently.

Nope, but I think this season has shown up how little many on here actually know about football. Lots of people were predicting a good season - Portland Bill being one that springs to mind - because "the squad is more than good enough to be challenging at the top of the league", quite clearly that was utter bollox. It was all Coppell's fault and then Millen's apparently.

So was the manager at the time and the board. What does it prove? They had belief in the team, I thought we were going to be shite, just my opinion.

I think that we still have the ghost of Gary Johnson down the Gate. Firstly, we are still playing with a lot of players from that time (skuse etc) and they therefore only know one way to play football (long-balls + defensive tactics) as the style that I play has been driven out of them as shown by chinapig through his mention of Prozone which has achieved this to players like Skuse who came through the academy. Therefore managers like Coppell, Millen and now McInnes have had no choice but to play this style because this is the only way they can play to their high standards............However I must say that this is coming to a close through the loss of his son and one of his players in January and over 6 more are leaving in the summer hopefully and that also includes if we stay up or not thus making over £100,000 pounds available a week in wages for quality players which we lack because we have had no money available due to Lansdown keeping it like a business to buy anyone and so maybe next season we can see some football we as fans are proud to see.

Interesting reading all this about formations. I remember listening to Radio Bristol a few weeks ago when Gary Johnson was getting stick for playing a certain 'formation'. He commented, and I must agree, that a formation is just numbers. On the pitch, intelligent, well coached played know their role, know where they need to be at certain times to be able to defend effectively and attack effectively. An effective team needs to have played who can be fluent but disciplined - know where they need to get to to be most effective and be where they need to be when they are most needed. The danger of focusing on 'A formation' is players a scared to move away from that particular job, regardless of what is required on the pitch at the time.

What we need to develop is a team understanding which will come with players DMc want and selects on a regular basis, training and playing together so they have an empathy about who is going to make a run where, who needs to cover who etc.

Whilst I am as frustrated (and worried) about the recent run of results and goals conceded as anyone, I do have sympathy and support for DMc for taking on an inadequate squad and the inability to select a consistent team due to injuries and suspensions - particularly at the back.

Perhaps it's just me, but a debate based on a Stockhausen article which itself refers to comments on a radio phone in isn't the most logical place to begin a conversation about this.

Chinapig's peerless post of a few days ago best sums this up, GJ massively overachieved in our first season up and his second season finish of 10th is now being understood as none too shabby (though at the time we were seen by many as "on the slide") fact is we are mediocre, we have been for a few years but beyond staying up I'm not sure how much we can logically expect, poor crowds, people looking to give up STs much quicker than many clubs at this level do doesn't make us any sort of power at this level.

I hope (but am beginning to doubt) that McInnes can keep us up, regardless of whether he does or not I think there will be a large clear out .

Time will tell whether his preferred 4-5-1 will save us, but for my part I get the strong impression it is his formation of choice no matter what..

Perhaps it's just me, but a debate based on a Stockhausen article which itself refers to comments on a radio phone in isn't the most logical place to begin a conversation about this.

glad you flagged this - this 'article' is a non starter - the BEP have just re-hashed the post match interview and added some hearsay and opinion (from OTIB & the radio probably) - no one has gone out and done that interview with Del specifically, it's another shit stirring article based on thin air, yet here we are, getting tied up in knots over it.

its another piece of crap from the monkeys at the EP

Archived