IGNORED

England Manager

Calculus

Fabio Capello stood down as England manager on 8 February. Today the FA have announced that they haven't yet spoken to a single candidate. Seems to me that they would prefer anybody but old 'Arry. This reminds me so much of the way that Cloughie, the overwhelmingly obvious and popular choice, was by-passed by the geniuses at the FA. I know that 'Arry isn't in the same category as Clough but isn't this decision a no-brainer?

I think he'll take it for the Euros and then carry on with Spurs. Woy Hodgson seems the most likely long term candidate....,

If Woy takes over I wouldn't watch England.... And this comes from someone who watches them every home game (can't afford to got away).

Harry will be England manager, I'm pretty sure of that.

I'm just worried they might appoint stuart pearce permanantly :facepalm:

I wouldn't be against that to be honest,

But I'm not bothered about the england manager its a career ending job anyway we'll get through group phase only to go out on pens any way and then the media will rip the team to pieces before during and after the tourny,

Its the same evry year

I think Arry's advisers have told the FA he will take the job at the end of the season, but don't want any distractions away from the job he has to do at Spurs first.

No source... Just opinion. :whistle:

:englandflag:

I hope and think this is probabaly the case

I think Arry's advisers have told the FA he will take the job at the end of the season, but don't want any distractions away from the job he has to do at Spurs first.

No source... Just opinion. :whistle:

:englandflag:

I suspect this is about right. 'Arry will be announced in the next few weeks as takin over for the Euros and then the discussions will take place straight after as to whether he stays on after that. I wonder how many 'Front Page Exclusives' The Sun will run about what a dodgy geezer 'Arry is once they've successfully campaigned to get him the job?!

Would Redknapp do such a good job? His tactics on Sunday were pretty shit...Far too open as a team, too slow to change as by the time he did momentum had gone.

That's only 1 game though. Arsenal were playing well even when 0-2 down. Only Liverpool and the 2 Manchester clubs have let in less goals than Spurs this season , so on the whole his team is not as open as it was on Sunday.

Would Redknapp do such a good job? His tactics on Sunday were pretty shit...Far too open as a team, too slow to change and by the time he did Arsenal had well and truly taken the momentum.

As far as English managers go, he's the only one at the top level that is good enough. There aint any better english managers than Redknapp.

The fact that stuart Pearce is even being mentioned, shows the quality of English managers we have.

Who would you go for?

That's only 1 game though. Arsenal were playing well even when 0-2 down. Only Liverpool and the 2 Manchester clubs have let in less goals than Spurs this season , so on the whole his team is not as open as it was on Sunday.

Playing two out and out strikers was poor in my view. That's what helped the game to be so open I would suggest, he compounded it later. Defend, sit deep and break. No Lennon starting, he could have helped pin back one of the Arsenal full backs for a start. Simeone showed how to set up vs top teams later that evening- sit very deep, defend- be happy to concede possession, tons of it if needs be then break with speed and guile. None of that on Sunday, Bale and Kranjcar failed to press the full backs adequately for a start. Unless you are seriously superior to a side away from home, setting up with 2 genuine strikers is not great I'd say.

Barca were a tad lucky to win, Messi's magic moment aside. This is how you set up v an evenly matched or superiod side away or a superior side anywhere and from quarters onwards, maybe even France game also we will be playing said superiod sides- tactics have a key role. I just don't see why people seem to think he'll do much better than Capello or others. International football and club football at the high levels (quarters of CL/WC/Euros onwards) tends to be tight, tactical etc. In big games actually, Spurs have not been so watertight. Conceded 3 at Etihad, 3 at OT, 5 at Emirates and 5 at home to Man City. Citing Man Utd as a benchmark, well they're ropey at the back themselves. Man City are the only side I'd say have a genuinely high quality solid defence of the top PL ones at this moment in time.

As far as English managers go, he's the only one at the top level that is good enough. There aint any better english managers than Redknapp.

The fact that stuart Pearce is even being mentioned, shows the quality of English managers we have.

Who would you go for?

If it must be an Englishman then Redknapp is the most liekly, though I dunno Hodgson could set us up in a counterattacking manner like he does with WBA. A more open game will se us struggle as the tournament goes on. Goes to show the paucity of options though, as you say.

Playing two out and out strikers was poor in my view. That's what helped the game to be so open I would suggest, he compounded it later. Defend, sit deep and break. No Lennon starting, he could have helped pin back one of the Arsenal full backs for a start. Simeone showed how to set up vs top teams later that evening- sit very deep, defend- be happy to concede possession, tons of it if needs be then break with speed and guile. None of that on Sunday, Bale and Kranjcar failed to press the full backs adequately for a start. Unless you are seriously superior to a side away from home, setting up with 2 genuine strikers is not great I'd say.

Barca were a tad lucky to win, Messi's magic moment aside. This is how you set up v an evenly matched or superiod side away or a superior side anywhere and from quarters onwards, maybe even France game also we will be playing said superiod sides- tactics have a key role. I just don't see why people seem to think he'll do much better than Capello or others. International football and club football at the high levels (quarters of CL/WC/Euros onwards) tends to be tight, tactical etc. In big games actually, Spurs have not been so watertight. Conceded 3 at Etihad, 3 at OT, 5 at Emirates and 5 at home to Man City. Citing Man Utd as a benchmark, well they're ropey at the back themselves. Man City are the only side I'd say have a genuinely high quality solid defence of the top PL ones at this moment in time.

If it must be an Englishman then Redknapp is the most liekly, though I dunno Hodgson could set us up in a counterattacking manner like he does with WBA. A more open game will se us struggle as the tournament goes on. Goes to show the paucity of options though, as you say.

I agree , he got it wrong on Sunday , but all managers get it wrong occasionally. Sir Alex in losing 6 at home to Man City , Arsene Wenger losing 8 at Old Trafford. I just think Harry gets more right than wrong , and it would be exciting to watch if nothing else.

Hodgson would be the obvious 2nd choice. If it goes to anyone else, I'll be very disappointed.

I'm not one of these people that insists on a englishmen - on the basis that the we've usually not got managers capable of managing at the top level.

On this occasion Harry currently is - and spurs had a decent Champions league campaign last season also. If he does become manager, we've not had a English manager as good as him since venables...

I agree , he got it wrong on Sunday , but all managers get it wrong occasionally. Sir Alex in losing 6 at home to Man City , Arsene Wenger losing 8 at Old Trafford. I just think Harry gets more right than wrong , and it would be exciting to watch if nothing else.

Agree that all get it wrong at times for sure. Would say Wenger at times has been exposed for tactical limitations, hell Ferguson in Europe at least has been too at times- he seemed to crack it at various points, but it's come back in big games and this season especially. Would certainly be oppen and exciting under Redknapp, but if he set up in 4-4-2 vs the big hitters- by which I mean Germany, Spain, maybe Brazil, Argentina if they can get it together, or a side with tight defence and excellent counterattacking prowess (e.g. Italy), it could end fairly badly.

Agree that all get it wrong at times for sure. Would say Wenger at times has been exposed for tactical limitations, hell Ferguson in Europe at least has been too at times- he seemed to crack it at various points, but it's come back in big games and this season especially. Would certainly be oppen and exciting under Redknapp, but if he set up in 4-4-2 vs the big hitters- by which I mean Germany, Spain, maybe Brazil, Argentina if they can get it together, or a side with tight defence and excellent counterattacking prowess (e.g. Italy), it could end fairly badly.

Redknapp has not used 4-4-2 too often though. He usually plays Van Der Vaart off of Adebayor. Not sure why he opted to change it against Arenal though , as you say , it was a poor tactical move , but he probably didn't think so after 20 minutes.

Redknapp will waver for the next month or two, then says yes at the end of the season, thereby giving himself plenty of wriggle room if things go badly in Ukraine. "Nothing I could have done . . . only had two or three weeks with the players . . . can't prepare properly under conditions like this . . ." etc etc. And if it somehow goes well, he'll be regarded as a genius.

Redknapp has a history of blaming other people when things take a turn for the worse. I think he'll wait until the very, very last moment to take the job and use the circumstances as a cover story when the team fail to perform.

He is the ideal appointment for anyone in the Anti-England Brigade.

I'm just worried they might appoint stuart pearce permanantly :facepalm:

I actually think it wouldn't be such a bad thing Germany have done ok in appointing klinsmann then low neither massively expirenced but they have the motivational skills to get the best out of a squad you see for maybe 3 weeks a year outside of tournaments and 6 weeks in a euro or world cup year. Also who knows the English talent pool better than the under 21s coach?

I actually think it wouldn't be such a bad thing Germany have done ok in appointing klinsmann then low neither massively expirenced but they have the motivational skills to get the best out of a squad you see for maybe 3 weeks a year outside of tournaments and 6 weeks in a euro or world cup year. Also who knows the English talent pool better than the under 21s coach?

He is clueless. He is no Joachim Loew

Archived