IGNORED

England Manager

Calculus

You aren't remembering Graham Taylor's reign then?

Not in great detail, but I know we've only genuinely threatened to make an impact at a tournament twice in my living memory - Italia '90 and Euro '96.

The fact they were both competitions overseen by Englishmen is, in my opinion, coincidental. However to pluck Taylor from a cluster of England managers who haven't over-achieved and actually won something is a tad harsh. By your logic I could reel off various other England managers who have attempted to play the game 'the right way' and similarly 'failed'.

To be clear here I don't want Pulis or Warnock to get the job. I genuinely hope Redknapp gets it as, for the first time in a long time, it would seem there is a near universally agreed upon candidate and, whilst certainly not essentially, he is English.

I'm not advocating adopting some aggressive, long ball, physical approach to counter act the more 'attractive' sides on a long term basis. I'm simply saying that in a circumstance where Redknapp isn't willing to be in place before the Norway friendly but does want the job in the summer, id be happy to see someone impart a specific, less tested, philosophy onto the team for a short space of time.

Out of interest, I'm pretty sure you'd said you didnt want Redknapp, who would you approach?

Thing is we get foreign managers then we get shot of them for not winning anything even though we did ok under them (erikson) or they manage how they want to manage (capello). If all the FA want to do is keep the ragtops happy then 'arry it is. His verbal diarrhea will keep many a newsless day's backpage full with his tripe.

Trouble is neither Capello or Ericksson knew English football that well - and it showed in their team selections.

I'd have no problem with someone like Mourinho. He at least has been immersed in this country's game.

Out of interest, I'm pretty sure you'd said you didnt want Redknapp, who would you approach?

If I were an England fan, I would have wanted someone like Hiddink - but he's no longer available as of 3 weeks ago. One thing I wouldn't do is appoint an English manager. Especially one who is best mates with a load of tabloid journalists.

Great get Harry in, then the press can help pick the team with him as long as they don't go digging anymore into his private life. No thanks Harry, perhaps if you had won something during 30 years of being a manager I would go along with it.

They had the right man in Capello, the papers did their usual shit stirring and hounded him out, with a non story.

They had the right man in Capello, the papers did their usual shit stirring and hounded him out, with a non story.

This.

Since when did who was captain matter anyway? I mean it's a position that has some creedence in rugby, where you are the only man to communicate with the officials and you have to control your team. And in cricket where you make the decisions on the field, having to react to game situations and deciding which tactics to use.

But in football, well, it's just swapping flags, shaking hands and racking up the advertising contracts.

Archived