IGNORED

Joe Bryan

redmelsh

A tidy enough debut in a difficult game, under even more difficult circumstances.

I would like to have seen him actually do a little bit more when he had space in front of him to attack the full back, having had one very promising run early on in the game - In fairness though, his almost total reluctance to get on his bike and go at them was more likely to have been down to team instructions - in which case, I felt he kept his discpline very well indeed to provide and outlet and link play simply and effectively, without actually causing to much of a real threat.

One question that really stike me though, is why are those that do get a shot at the 1st team through the acadamy, all look like 12 year olds?! Reid, Bryan, Ribs (to a lesser extend, but he is certainly not a physical type) Do we actually have a set of weights up at the acadamy HQ..?!

Yes, i know all about Messi etc and it is not a critisism - simply a question as to why anyone we bring though is never of the Conor Wickham mould in terms of size and physical presence?

Again, having said that, I was quite impressed at the strength that Bryan showed on a couple of occassions when shielding the ball from opponents and it looks as though he is able to stand upto a heavy challenge too.

Hopefully Bryan will be one of all too few success stories to eminate from our acadamy investments.

Well done Jo and good luck with your future!

I thought he looked classy on the ball, he had good vision and ability to play long and short passes. He didn't take on his man too often but played the percentages very well. Excellent cover for McAllister and we looked very balanced. He certainly has not go 'pace to burn' but he has enough I felt he had quick feet in a similar but less emphasised Trundle way. He didn't set the world alight but I would liken him to McIndoe in the way he looked a technically gifted player and used his body weight well in challenges and played sensibly. I was very impressed and delighted to see one of our own come through. I see no reason why he shouldn't start on Saturday. He will only get better and better with a bit more belief and confidence, he he keeps getting game time I'd imagine he will open up a bit more week by week. Well done to him.

I think he played extremely well, well done to the kid.

At times he looked a bit under pressure, but to be honest that's not necessarily a bad thing, he didn't keep running into 3 defenders in the relaxed approach that Albert and Yannick play in.

I definitely think this kid will play very well for us in the near and far future, I'm just really pleased that he could be part of a now-winning side.

I know it is only a picture, but take a look at the Joe Bryan posting on the Bristol City site, look at the picture of him controlling the ball. He is very unlike a lot of players we have on board, he is looking up to see what to do with it, head not down concentrating on the ball. Has this young kid got a proper footballing brain?

Nice to see this, even if it is just a photograph.

Joe had a brilliant debt as others have said obviously was told not to get foward too much he kept it simple and on a few occasions linked up with stead well and did well defensive in general to think he's only 18 is very exciting.

Also agree with the debate about Albert it's about time we learnt to play without him so he hasn't got so much pressure on his shoulders. I've said this for a long time but Adomah would thrive in the hole position just behind stead. which I wouldn't play unless pitman is injured or possibly when we are away against a tough opposition. I'd still expect him to track back of course but not as much as on the wing.

As i have said consistently on this forum, those who have trashed our academy boys have probably not even done them the respect of going to Failand once.

Thing is mate, I don't think many have trashed the players at all. The main problem people have with the academy is that it hasn't been useful for a long time. If the club aren't going to give the kids a go in the first team then there really isn't much point in it.

I firmly believe that had players like Plummer been given a run at Championship level before being binned then they would have developed quicker. I don't know if they'd have been successful, but you ain't gonna find out until they've had a decent run.

Hopefully Derek will use the Academy better than previous managers. I think I can speak on behalf of most when I say that I get a lot more pride from a good performance from a city youth product than a mediocre signing. It gives the fans a lift when the kids get a chance too, yesterday the buzzchitchat was for the debutant.

OK, I'm no fan of the BCFC academy and I've considered it a complete waste of the club's resources with regard to the talent - or lack of it - that it's unearthed/produced over the years. However, Joe Bryan's performance against Leicester last night was superb. Bryan was alert and combative throughout his time on the pitch - I actually thought he was a loanee from a Premier League club as I'd never heard of him before !!!!!!! I do believe that the BCFC academy has unearthed a Bristolian gem at last. :cool2:

It's so refreshing to see a young lad from our own academy play very well for the first team. Hopefully he is one of many in the years ahead. I think it's great for a team to have a really young player as their youth rubs off on the older players. He's also my age which is crazy to think he's actually playing Championship football :laugh:

Fair play to the lad, hope he goes from strength to strength as i'm sure he will do.

Thing is mate, I don't think many have trashed the players at all. The main problem people have with the academy is that it hasn't been useful for a long time. If the club aren't going to give the kids a go in the first team then there really isn't much point in it.

I firmly believe that had players like Plummer been given a run at Championship level before being binned then they would have developed quicker. I don't know if they'd have been successful, but you ain't gonna find out until they've had a decent run.

Hopefully Derek will use the Academy better than previous managers. I think I can speak on behalf of most when I say that I get a lot more pride from a good performance from a city youth product than a mediocre signing. It gives the fans a lift when the kids get a chance too, yesterday the buzzchitchat was for the debutant.

This is the point.

The only way to gain Championship level match experience is to play Championship level matches. That means the manager taking a risk.

I thought Bryan was very tidy today. I'd rather see him as an attacking midfielder playing centrally. But he gave us width and in keeping it simple helped stop us get overrun by a very good Leicester team.

On the subject of Kilkenny however, did anyone see him trying to lob the ball over their defender to try to find Albert. When we just needed to run the clock down and keep possession. I honestly believe he is one of the least intelligent footballers I have seen down the gate.

He didn't do much wrong, but nothing spectacular?? Bit OTT for me this topic..

I agree, he did well but let's not build him up too much.

Fans who didn't go on Tuesday may be getting an inflated impression from this thread and may be disappointed if they see him on Saturday.

He looked composed and he's obviously got talent and potential but he's very young and fairly slight - so not a great tackler - and I wouldn't expect him to become a regular during the run in.

Having said that I got the impression there is much more to come from this lad when he bulks up a bit and he deserves another start on Saturday.

I wouldn't expect him to play more than 60 minutes or so again, before making way for Albert or even Davis. If McNaughton - who looks old enough to be his Grandfather - flattens him in the first 5 minutes that in itself would will be enough to outrage the crowd, create an even more hostile atmosphere, and improve our chances.

I wouldn't expect him to play more than 60 minutes or so again, before making way for Albert or even Davis. If McNaughton - who looks old enough to be his Grandfather - flattens him in the first 5 minutes that in itself would will be enough to outrage the crowd, create an even more hostile atmosphere, and improve our chances.

He only targets female linesmen

I thought Bryan was very tidy today. I'd rather see him as an attacking midfielder playing centrally. But he gave us width and in keeping it simple helped stop us get overrun by a very good Leicester team.

On the subject of Kilkenny however, did anyone see him trying to lob the ball over their defender to try to find Albert. When we just needed to run the clock down and keep possession. I honestly believe he is one of the least intelligent footballers I have seen down the gate.

I think Kilkenny was actually in perfect position to once again shoot but since last few games he seems too afraid to. It was actually harder to try and find albert then just take a shot inside the box!

on that point i think we are agreed

Thanks for the info...who do you think is next in line to be given a chance?

without a doubt it will be Bobby Reid and before the end of the season as well.

after that will depend on the clubs position and risk of relegation

if they are doomed at any stage , expect Aaron Holloway to be included, if he regains fitness, and possibly even younger players.

Archived