IGNORED

A Season Off

Betelgeuse

First off I don't want to make this sound like a whiney "I'm not playing anymore, I'm taking my ball home" type thread.

Next season, me and 2 others have decided not to renew our season tickets. We've had them since 1997. There are many reasons, including cost, entertainment, match day staff, parking etc but the main factor is the players. We agreed that every City team we've watched over the years, however poor, always had some fight and passion in them. Yes we've seen bad games during seasons but the players always seemed to respond to a bad game. This season they just haven't shown any interest or passion. Tuesday night will go down as the game that made our decision. I remember a simliar scenario when GJ took over. We were tumbling to the foot of league 1 and we had Bradford at home. We lost 1-0 but every single player that night gave their all and looked totally devistated after that defeat. Tuesday had a similar feeling about it before the game but quite the opposite after. Maybe 3 players came out with any credit and none of them have a contract past this summer!

We are Bristol City fans and we will come back. We just need a break from it before we start hating the team and the club! Next season we will be visiting other grounds and other countries to watch football, just to get the love for the game back! People will say "you have to get behind your team, especially during the bad times" which is true but this season has been so hard to watch, almost a chore.

I'm backing Del to rebuild over the summer, what ever league we're in and obviously I'll still follow the results and come to some games. I wonder how many other fans will be put off after this season?

I'm really hoping I regret my decision and start missing it badly when the season starts, I really do, but at this moment in time, I feel I can't put myself through this again next year.

I can execpt bad players, bad games and crazy tactics. I can't execpt gutless over payed players with no heart or fight for our club. I just need a break from it.

You've expressed the way I felt a year ago Betelgeuse. And expressed it very well.

We didn't renew any of our tickets for this season. And we stopped planning our lives around City matches. We've been back to watch a handful of games and of course I follow the results, but I've not regretted breaking away because I was finding myself really annoyed with the club last year and felt cheated that the biggest single item in our leisure budget - those STs - had yielded so little entertainment.

A year on I've had the chance - and the money - to watch some other sport. I'd recommend a day at a Test match if you want a great day out and you like cricket...and I've watched my kids play sport.

BUT - and it's been said on here before - when you step away and start putting other things into your life where football once was it's very hard to go back.

Which is why the club should be concerned.

The sad thing is that you speak for a huge amount of fans.

So very true. There are a number of reasons why they have not issued season ticket prices for next year; but one of them must be that they really don't want the publicity of the (likely) reaction received from many of us.

The ways things are at present; I think they would be fortunate to clear 5,000 S.T. sales for next season.

The thought of swapping my Sunday morning football for playing in a better standard on a Saturday had crossed my mind to be honest...but I am sure I will renew in the hope that the inevitable influx (and departure) of many players will result in something remotely interesting to watch at the beginning of next season, regardless of the league we are in.

I hear what your saying, its not good at the mo but arn't you just turning your back on your club when they most need you ? However bad it is i always go back, i always threaten to stay away but never do, and believe me ive seen some sh1t in my time, like bottom of the old fouth division, times a hell of a lot worse than we are currently. As football supporters we have to take the rough with the smooth and i know we have not had many good times recently but they will be back. So reconsider jumping ship in troubled waters and hopefully we can have a team worth shouting about again soon.

C.T.I.D

I agree 100% with the original post, and i have had a season ticket for 35 years.

On tuesday i left my house at 7.30 am for work, and finally got back home at 11pm.

You dont mind when the players give their all, but when they lose every tackle just because the opposition

want it more, it does tend to grate a bit.

And dont get me started on the brand new cars in the car park!!

First off I don't want to make this sound like a whiney "I'm not playing anymore, I'm taking my ball home" type thread.

Next season, me and 2 others have decided not to renew our season tickets. We've had them since 1997. There are many reasons, including cost, entertainment, match day staff, parking etc but the main factor is the players. We agreed that every City team we've watched over the years, however poor, always had some fight and passion in them. Yes we've seen bad games during seasons but the players always seemed to respond to a bad game. This season they just haven't shown any interest or passion. Tuesday night will go down as the game that made our decision. I remember a simliar scenario when GJ took over. We were tumbling to the foot of league 1 and we had Bradford at home. We lost 1-0 but every single player that night gave their all and looked totally devistated after that defeat. Tuesday had a similar feeling about it before the game but quite the opposite after. Maybe 3 players came out with any credit and none of them have a contract past this summer!

We are Bristol City fans and we will come back. We just need a break from it before we start hating the team and the club! Next season we will be visiting other grounds and other countries to watch football, just to get the love for the game back! People will say "you have to get behind your team, especially during the bad times" which is true but this season has been so hard to watch, almost a chore.

I'm backing Del to rebuild over the summer, what ever league we're in and obviously I'll still follow the results and come to some games. I wonder how many other fans will be put off after this season?

I'm really hoping I regret my decision and start missing it badly when the season starts, I really do, but at this moment in time, I feel I can't put myself through this again next year.

I can execpt bad players, bad games and crazy tactics. I can't execpt gutless over payed players with no heart or fight for our club. I just need a break from it.

If we were bottom of League 2, getting tanked every week but had players who gave their all every single week i'd be there, but i have to agree that i'm finding this hard to take much more of. I think i've not had a season ticket for 2 of the last 15 or so seasons due to work, but next year for the first time i'm thinking i will choose not to have one.

I think i'd rather spend the money i'd usually spend attending other sporting events. I'm hoping when the seasons starts to get to at least one New Egland Patriots game in the states, my little sister is going to college in the states to play 'soccer' so hopefully be able to use that to get over to tampa to watch the Bucs as well, also really want to take in a Borussia Dortmund game next season, and mabye a couple of Frnech League 1 games as my Girlfriends family are all from Tolouse, and maybe some Spanish games as well.

Like you i'm hoping i just need a break from it all, be a city follower but just be a footbal fan for a year and take in some other games in different cities.

I dont think you are being "whiney". I can fully understand your gripe.

I dont i will be reneeing myself. one thing to get yourself into debt or go skint for a few months paying out a lot of money at least it may beworth it watching championship football but third tier ? Last season i raided our savings in renewing and im not doing that again. To renew on the finance scheme for league one?

Not a chance

I hear what your saying, its not good at the mo but arn't you just turning your back on your club when they most need you ? However bad it is i always go back, i always threaten to stay away but never do, and believe me ive seen some sh1t in my time, like bottom of the old fouth division, times a hell of a lot worse than we are currently. As football supporters we have to take the rough with the smooth and i know we have not had many good times recently but they will be back. So reconsider jumping ship in troubled waters and hopefully we can have a team worth shouting about again soon.

C.T.I.D

Honestly I totally understand your point. It's a hard decision to make but the thing is am I turning my back to the club when they need me most? Like you said, being bottom of the 4th tier with poor players and no money is worse but that is when the club needs the fans most. Right now we have a team full of rich players who don't seem to care. Do the club need my support or just my money?

I will be back again, that is a promise, I just need a break because those feelings we get after leaving ashton gate after another terrible display is something I could do with out. Like I said in my first post, I hope I regret it and regret it so much that I buy a half season ticket or attend many games next year. Personally I just need to get that saturday buzz feeling back and maybe a season off will bring that back?

C.T.I.D

I agree with a lot of what you say, but I can't stomach watching a City team with so little fight and heart. I was at Chesterfield away under GJ when we are at a very low ebb (in the middle of the 9-game losing run), but at least then you could sense that the manager was clearing out and trying to instill some passion. I still went and supported the team because I thought we would fight back from the depths we were in.

Right now I'm so sick of the way this team capitulates. They're so heartless, gutless and they don't make me feel proud of my club anymore. With the exception of a couple of them (Stead, Cisse...), I feel ashamed these players are pulling on a City shirt and not fighting for the club or the fans. I'm embarassed as I look around and see Cov scrapping for their lives, Pompey fighting against the odds... while our team just rolls over.

I was planning to go to Forest (I can't afford to go to many) and shout the team on, but I just can't face travelling and watching the team surrender without even a whimper. It's pathetic, and I need a break from it. I will always support Bristol City but I need to see a bit of passion before I go and watch the team play again. I feel so detached and despondent that this doesn't feel like my club anymore.

I say this with a very heavy heart as I'll always be City through and through.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but I can't stomach watching a City team with so little fight and heart. I was at Chesterfield away under GJ when we are at a very low ebb (in the middle of the 9-game losing run), but at least then you could sense that the manager was clearing out and trying to instill some passion. I still went and supported the team because I thought we would fight back from the depths we were in.

Right now I'm so sick of the way this team capitulates. They're so heartless, gutless and they don't make me feel proud of my club anymore. With the exception of a couple of them (Stead, Cisse...), I feel ashamed these players are pulling on a City shirt and not fighting for the club or the fans. I'm embarassed as I look around and see Cov scrapping for their lives, Pompey fighting against the odds... while our team just rolls over.

I was planning to go to Forest (I can't afford to go to many) and shout the team on, but I just can't face travelling and watching the team surrender without even a whimper. It's pathetic, and I need a break from it. I will always support Bristol City but I need to see a bit of passion before I go and watch the team play again. I feel so detached and despondent that this doesn't feel like my club anymore.

I say this with a very heavy heart as I'll always be City through and through.

I would love to stick this post on the dressing room door. These so called professional footballers should be ashamed of themselves.

I will be renewing for next season but do totally understand the first poster ,it has been hard to watch this season and it is made a hell of a lot worse by the seeming lack of effort and passion from a lot of the players .Amazing that when the players car park seems to be filled with the best array of motors ever seen in there these players do not seem to have any guts for the fight .Why do players not just at our club but at many earn so much even before they have achieved anything and this lot who play for us have achieved nothing except making us the whipping boys in this division.

Can't say I blame you really. It's not cheap to watch football anymore, and when you're not getting anything back in return for shelling out your hard earned dosh week in, week out, apart from crap gutless football, stress and high blood pressure, and like jsmith mentioned above about the cars in the car park, it does take its toll in the end.

The problem is once you make the break it’s very unlikely you’ll come back. I know of 3 people that did this and one broke away 8 years ago and hasn’t been back since. The other 2 still go but only 5 or 6 games a season if that.

The club is a shambles from top too bottom.

Maybe Ashton Gate is cursed! :reaper:

Unfortunately the City Board, Steve Lansdown and the players need to read threads like this, to know how people feel, but I doubt this sort of feedback ever gets back to them?

Maybe we should print this thread off and post it to Colin. :yes:

I have said it before and i will say it again. Its not the division we are in that will make my decision but how we end up in that division. If we go down but show some fight and signs of improvement, then i will renew. If we stay up but through luck and not because WE have earned the right, then i will walk away.

Unfortunately the City Board, Steve Lansdown and the players need to read threads like this, to know how people feel, but I doubt this sort of feedback ever gets back to them?

Any season ticket holder who hasn't renewed by a certain date will receive a phone call from the club asking why not and prompting them to renew.

By the sounds of this thread the board will be in no doubt of people's feelings when the telesales team report back to them.

Can't say I blame you really. It's not cheap to watch football anymore, and when you're not getting anything back in return for shelling out your hard earned dosh week in, week out, apart from crap gutless football, stress and high blood pressure, and like jsmith mentioned above about the cars in the car park, it does take its toll in the end.

The problem is once you make the break it’s very unlikely you’ll come back. I know of 3 people that did this and one broke away 8 years ago and hasn’t been back since. The other 2 still go but only 5 or 6 games a season if that.

The club is a shambles from top too bottom.

Maybe Ashton Gate is cursed! :reaper:

It's really not a bad idea. Maybe the club don't realise how disheartened the supporters are? I think City need to realise that we're not expecting free-flowing, winning football every week - we're not that fickle. What true City fans want to see in their team is some heart, some fight, some passion and pride in the shirt. Other clubs in this division have that in abundance. Look at Millwall, Pompey, Peterborough, Cov... relegation rivals but they've got something about them. Pompey are in financial turmoil, Cov have had similar problems, we've had nothing of the sort yet we're in danger of finishing below all those teams. It's simply not good enough and is a poor reflection on the mentality of this football club.

Have to say I feel the same way as most on this thread. The last 3 seasons have been

in the main dire, unatractive football, after most games I ask why did I bother?

I take a disabled guy to every home game, he would be devistated if he did not get his

fix of BCFC win or loose he just loves it. So for that reson only I will be renewing next year.

Just wish some of the players would battle during a game as much as us fans would given

the chance.Its not only BCFC I think football has lost its way, too much dosh for avearge players

and not enough loyalty, by player or club. Sad day realy.

I will be renewing for next season but do totally understand the first poster ,it has been hard to watch this season and it is made a hell of a lot worse by the seeming lack of effort and passion from a lot of the players .Amazing that when the players car park seems to be filled with the best array of motors ever seen in there these players do not seem to have any guts for the fight .Why do players not just at our club but at many earn so much even before they have achieved anything and this lot who play for us have achieved nothing except making us the whipping boys in this division.

It's been hard to watch for the majority of the last 3 seasons, long before GJ left.

Promotion was great but struggling in the Championship doesn't suit the club, and has very obviously worn down the enthusiasm of even the most ardent supporters.

Well I'll be renewing,

but you have hit the nail on the head for many fans at the moment a season ticket for the majority doesn't represent value for money any more,

the board should take note of this when figures of season ticket sales start getting through to them,

People are fed up

I've been watching City for 39 years, my dad is 78 and watching City for 70 years. On Tuesday he walked out early for the FIRST TIME EVER.

My kids are ten and seven and in their 3rd season of watching City. When they say they don't know if they want to go anymore because of the lack of effort it breaks my heart.

I have apologised to them for the lifetime of misery they have ahead of them. I've promised them it will get better at some point............

Shouldn't be like this should it.

I've been watching City for 39 years, my dad is 78 and watching City for 70 years. On Tuesday he walked out early for the FIRST TIME EVER.

My kids are ten and seven and in their 3rd season of watching City. When they say they don't know if they want to go anymore because of the lack of effort it breaks my heart.

I have apologised to them for the lifetime of misery they have ahead of them. I've promised them it will get better at some point............

Shouldn't be like this should it.

If I were you, I'd email that to the club if you have a moment. Sums it up - very sad.

It's not so much the going down that angers me, it's the going down without any sort of fight which is shameful. I always thought Bristol City would fight to the very end, sadly this is no longer the case.

Archived