IGNORED

Bristol City Community Trust - Aka Bristol City Rip Off Merchants

redlandrebel

Just had an e-mail promoting the BCCT junior tournament. Now I've been given the task by my son's coach of entering the side in a load of tournaments this spring / summer so when this popped into my e-mail box I thought, how opportune. The entry fee for all of these tournaments - Bitton, Hanham, Yate etc, is £20 / £25 per team. So how much is the BCCY charging £25? No - they're charging £200 per team! I called them up expecting them to apologise for the mistake but no, apparently it's that much for the priviledge of playing at Ashton Gate.

Bristol City Community Trust - aka you can "trust" that Bristol City will shaft the local community...

... my faith in this club is ebbing away faster than the severn tide!

Just had an e-mail promoting the BCCT junior tournament. Now I've been given the task by my son's coach of entering the side in a load of tournaments this spring / summer so when this popped into my e-mail box I thought, how opportune. The entry fee for all of these tournaments - Bitton, Hanham, Yate etc, is £20 / £25 per team. So how much is the BCCY charging £25? No - they're charging £200 per team! I called them up expecting them to apologise for the mistake but no, apparently it's that much for the priviledge of playing at Ashton Gate.

Bristol City Community Trust - aka you can "trust" that Bristol City will shaft the local community...

dont like dont pay simple

Unlike bitton etc when its just a field this is a stadium.

Health and safety need to be put into consideration and you need stewards.

Stewards aren't free like volunteers at other tournaments.

In fairness that just seem pretty expensive.

not really if its 11 aside it works out about 18 quid a head to play in a professional football stadium using the first team dressing rooms and I expect a tour of the ground meeting people like scott murray who give's his own time up for it, bargin if you ask me,

200 quad a head would be steep

not really if its 11 aside it works out about 18 quid a head to play in a professional football stadium using the first team dressing rooms and I expect a tour of the ground meeting people like scott murray who give's his own time up for it, bargin if you ask me,

200 quad a head would be steep

I agree with this.

Not territory I'm over familiar with but to be fair to the OP one would have thought that a professional football club offering a service to the community would be better placed to subsidise the costs of an event like this than, say, Hanham or Bitton.

What's £200 per side to a club with the turnover of Bristol City? Take a look in the car park...

I'd have said that charging ten times what other clubs charge is a PR own goal. Either offer something which leaves people thinking "wow, that's a great opportunity, what a generous club" or don't bother at all...

This isnt the commuinity trust, but for the last 2 years I have rented the pitch out at ashton gate for the football team I play for - so we can have a match.

First year we all paid about £38 each and last year we all paid £44 each. (22 players)

This year they rang me and said they will be sending me "a flyer" by email - in previous years they just put it on the website - had a feeling they might be increasing how much we pay.

I get the flyer and its..... £120 each!

Now for that £120 each you get a ref, kit supplied, posh food, a presentation etc - but we dont want any of that.

And you can only enter 1 squad of 16 players - Which in total costs £1920 btw - and the club decide who you will play. But the football club I play for has 2 teams and we want to play eachother.

In total its gone from about £800 to rent the whole pitch out, to nearly £2000 and you dont rent the pitch anymore, just get to field a side. So, whereas before, I paid my £44 and got 90 minutes on the ashton gate pitch - your now paying the £120 and only guaranteed a hours playing time!

Looks like they want to bleed us for even more money.

We obviously aint going for it!

Not territory I'm over familiar with but to be fair to the OP one would have thought that a professional football club offering a service to the community would be better placed to subsidise the costs of an event like this than, say, Hanham or Bitton.

What's £200 per side to a club with the turnover of Bristol City? Take a look in the car park...

I'd have said that charging ten times what other clubs charge is a PR own goal. Either offer something which leaves people thinking "wow, that's a great opportunity, what a generous club" or don't bother at all...

Bristol City loose 12million a year.

We can charge high prices and people will pay it.

Making money for us. Not loosing it.

Think you're forgetting that it's kids.

£200 is far to steep

I still paid subs every week when I played kids football and that was 25 years ago,

as for turn over our turnover was -12 million,

Its not steep for kids these days how many have mobile phones playstations new trainers etc,

If you don't want to play at ashton gate then go ahead and pay 20 quid to play in a muddy field somewhere else no one is forcing you to turn up and pay,

The communnity trust is a charity the club doesn't have to let them use the pitch in the off season (normally its being relaid then)

The club doesn't have to do anything in the off season yet when it does it gets slagged off,

What about people who will working during this do you think they do it for free? do you think the refs that have to be hired do it for free? do you think the equipment in use costs nothing?

I still paid subs every week when I played kids football and that was 25 years ago,

Its not steep for kids these days how many have mobile phones playstations new trainers etc,

If you don't want to play at ashton gate then go ahead and pay 20 quid to play in a muddy field somewhere else no one is forcing you to turn up and pay,

The communnity trust is a charity the club doesn't have to let them use the pitch in the off season (normally its being relaid then)

The club doesn't have to do anything in the off season yet when it does it gets slagged off,

What about people who will working during this do you think they do it for free? do you think the refs that have to be hired do it for free? do you think the equipment in use costs nothing?

200 quid is ******* steep! I could'nt afford that for my kids!

Edit: just seen its 200 per team - still expensive.

This isnt the commuinity trust, but for the last 2 years I have rented the pitch out at ashton gate for the football team I play for - so we can have a match.

First year we all paid about £38 each and last year we all paid £44 each. (22 players)

This year they rang me and said they will be sending me "a flyer" by email - in previous years they just put it on the website - had a feeling they might be increasing how much we pay.

I get the flyer and its..... £120 each!

Now for that £120 each you get a ref, kit supplied, posh food, a presentation etc - but we dont want any of that.

And you can only enter 1 squad of 16 players - Which in total costs £1920 btw - and the club decide who you will play. But the football club I play for has 2 teams and we want to play eachother.

In total its gone from about £800 to rent the whole pitch out, to nearly £2000 and you dont rent the pitch anymore, just get to field a side. So, whereas before, I paid my £44 and got 90 minutes on the ashton gate pitch - your now paying the £120 and only guaranteed a hours playing time!

Looks like they want to bleed us for even more money.

We obviously aint going for it!

Thats disgraceful not the commuinity trust one

from the trust website

Pitch Hire

Have you ever dreamed of walking out on the hallow turf of Ashton Gate?

Now here is your chance. Bristol City Community Trust are running a series of 5 a side tournaments for fans and keen footballers to book up and have the opportunity to play on the pitch.

Whether you’re a group of friends who want to put a team together or a football club who plays regularly in a league we would love for you to join in. This is a fantastic experience to play on a pitch that the likes of Scott Murray, David James, Peter Crouch, Wayne Rooney, Luis Suarez and Theo Walcott have all marked their studs on.

The tournament format is detailed below:

Saturday 5th May:

• 10.00-12.00pm U10 Boys
  • 12.30-2.30pm U12 Boys
  • 3.00-5.00pm U14 Boys

Sunday 6th May:

• 11.00-1.00pm U16 Boys
  • 1.30-3.30pm U18 Boys

Saturday 12th May:

• 10.00-12.00pm U10 Girls
  • 12.30-2.30pm U12 Girls
  • 3.00-5.00pm U14 Girls

Sunday 14th May:

• 11.00-1.00pm U16 Girls
  • 1.30-3.30pm Mens Over 18′s

For only £25 per player or £200 per team you could enjoy this once in a lifetime experience. Every player who attends will receive a certificate and a trophy will be presented to the winners of each tournament. To book your team in then please either call 0117 963 0636 and speak to the Community team or use the ‘Book Online’ function.

not really if its 11 aside it works out about 18 quid a head to play in a professional football stadium using the first team dressing rooms and I expect a tour of the ground meeting people like scott murray who give's his own time up for it, bargin if you ask me, 200 quad a head would be steep

It's 5 a side, not 11 and it's kids - U12 to be precise.

If they were to charge the same as other competitions, say £20 a team then that would still get them £240, enought to cover basic costs. I'm sure their public indemnity insurance covers them already so there be very little extra cost and it could be really postive PR. As it is they're just thinking of the wonga and screw the local people.

It's 5 a side, not 11 and it's kids - U12 to be precise.

If they were to charge the same as other competitions, say £20 a team then that would still get them £240, enought to cover basic costs. I'm sure their public indemnity insurance covers them already so there be very little extra cost and it could be really postive PR. As it is they're just thinking of the wonga and screw the local people.

Absolutely disgraceful.

Hang on - I understand the club makes a loss, and that it costs money to put on events. And I know that the club does a lot in the field of coaching and education.

But doesn't the notion of a "community trust" suggest that the club is doing something charitable for the community?

One of the richest organisations in the area - with some of the most privileged employees - giving something back.

At a time when the club needs all the support it can get this comes across rather like the group photo did last summer...a "show us your money" promotion.

One of the community trusts key goals is social inclusion. This will exclude children from low income families.

It is actually pretty good value compared with the similar events held there over the last couple of years. A separate company (football for fans) has held a kid's tournament at Ashton gate recently, unlike the Community Trust version the cost was around £55 per child.

Both of my boy's teams played in the tournament (and being a City fan I was happy to pay the money for them to have the experience of playing on the pitch that they watch City play on week in week out). The kids absolutely loved it and so did the other parents in the team, we even had a few gas heads who came down to play and they had a great day.

Yes £25 sounds like a lot of money but can you imagine what it feels like walking out onto a professional pitch with parents watching in the stands?

The Bitton tournament is held in their 'stadium' and whilst it is a good tournament (and much cheaper!) it does not compare, the pitch is poor (in comparison) and there is one tiny stand, Yate is played in a field so again it is unfair to compare.

The cost of just opening up Ashton Gate must be pretty hefty and by running the tournament themselves this year they have an opportunity to make a bit of profit (I assume for the Community Trust not the club) and the local kids get to play there for over half the cost of the previous years.

If you are involved in kid's football then I would highly recommend taking a team down.

Last year we did a similar thing to this with an organisation called football for fans. They charged me £47 per player and they had roughly 8-10 clubs from the south west and wales there.

It was a cracking day out, the Company worked hard to give the players a match day experience including, ground tour, player announcements over tannoy whilst walking out the tunnel and at least 4 games on the pitch. At the end they got a certificate and official photo. Also as usual with tournaments you could buy action photos of which some of them were outstanding.

The pitch itself was divided in to 4 mini pitches and Scott Murray was guest of honour.

The Company also do it at Southampton, West Ham, Norwich etc...

http://www.footballforfans.co.uk/events/

I think the club has spotted a money maker here and jumped on this. Whether they can make it pay is another matter but I will await and see.

MM

It's a bit different to playing on a field in hanham

Yate or bitton don't you think? I agree with the post that says if it's to expensive, don't play in it.

I could spend a week in a caravan at minehead for my family holiday for £300 for the week.

Or

I could go to Cuba all inclusive in a 5 star hotel for £3000.

Yes it's more expensive but 2 different things!

the point, surely, is that this event isn't billed as part of the standard corporate hospitality style deal at the club, for which people should pay whatever the club thinks appropriate. If I want to play football at Ashton Gate with my mates I know it will cost me.

This is branded as a Community Trust event - a charity which the club set up and which has inclusion and community involvement at its heart...and I'd have thought that from a PR point of view all its activities should be designed to have people say good things about the club and its generosity...not questioning why they are charging more than amateur organisations.

I'd have thought that that was particularly important in the middle of a recession and when the club is in need of all the support it can get.

Archived