IGNORED

Glenn Hoddle Wants The England Job

CotswoldRed

I would lose faith in humanity if he was even considered for the job.

After his comments about disabled people I think he should be in prison, not in the England job.

Scum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/17510682

There's nothing like a good old over reaction on a Monday morning is there !!!

Dont care about his personal views.

Just dont want a clueless manager who lives off his playing career.

He is a hideous man, but his record for england was very good and we played some pretty nice stuff too.

Hasn't done much since of course.

It's all irrelevant anyway, the FA would/could never go back!

There's nothing like a good old over reaction on a Monday morning is there !!!

He could have been done for incitement imo, if he hadn't hidden behind some bogus religious nonsense.

Cover your views in religion and you can say whatever you want.

He is a hideous man, but his record for england was very good and we played some pretty nice stuff too.

Hasn't done much since of course.

It's all irrelevant anyway, the FA would/could never go back!

I remember it VERY differently.

The only manager we should ever consider going back for, would be Venables. He was terrific for England.

I remember it VERY differently.

You do?

We played some decent stuff under Hoddle in my opinion too.

He's only offering to take charge over the summer if Harry doesn't want it. Tell you who I'd have just for the summer if he doesn't. Sven. *ducks for cover*

He could have been done for incitement imo, if he hadn't hidden behind some bogus religious nonsense.

Incitement to what? He espoused an extremely old-fashioned religious view that somehow if you're disabled you are paying for the 'sins of the ancestors'. Offensively patronising codswallop we'd all agree, but to my knowledge he wasn't telling anyone to hate or mistreat the disabled.

As for his managerial qualities: No thanks.

I'm with Riaz in that if we're going to have a summer caretaker the only former England manager I'd want is Arry's fellow dodgy cockernee El Tel. Or maybe Sir Bobby via ouija board. I expect Hoddle can arrange that with his contacts in the spirit world.

You do?

We played some decent stuff under Hoddle in my opinion too.

He's only offering to take charge over the summer if Harry doesn't want it. Tell you who I'd have just for the summer if he doesn't. Sven. *ducks for cover*

We lost to Romania - nuff said

Plus, he did'nt do enough to get the job in the first place - like mclaren, the main reason he got the job was because he was english - not his "ability" as a manager

Incitement to what? He espoused an extremely old-fashioned religious view that somehow if you're disabled you are paying for the 'sins of the ancestors'. Offensively patronising codswallop we'd all agree, but to my knowledge he wasn't telling anyone to hate or mistreat the disabled.

If he'd said the same thing about homesexuals there's no doubt in my mind that it would be interpreted as incitement to hatred, but in the case of disability you are probably right. Same with being ginger I guess.

Will he have Eileen Drewery in his back room staff again?

If he does I bet Ray Parlour won't get picked!

Ray Parlour quote;

Is it true that you narked Glenn Hoddle’s spiritual healer, 
Eileen Drewery?

I had a bad calf and Glenn sent me to see her. 
I sat in this seat, I couldn’t see her – I thought she was going 
to come out with no clothes on or something! Anyway, she placed her hands on my shoulders – I had long hair back then – and I just said: “short back and sides, please, Eileen”.

Cheeky…

In fairness, she laughed. She was quite funny. But she told her husband and it was suddenly in The Sun! I never got picked for England again.

I'm not sure in what way Glenn Hoddle's comments were any more nonsensical than any other religious nonsense, and I do think the use of the word 'bogus' applied to religions is tautology. Most religious beliefs are pretty nonsensical, and Hoddle just got clobberred because his didn't fit in with the particular set of nonsensical beliefs that are popular with many people in western Europe. However, given that no one knows if karma exists, like no one knows whether any other manifestation of organised religion exists, then I really don't see his views as any barmier or more offensive than any others. But given that karma is a basic tenet of buddhism, which is seen by many people as a rather cuddly religion, then you can't have it both ways. Glenn Hoddle's views instinctively feel bonkers to me, but then all religion seems bonkers to me.

He was a great midfielder though.

Hoddle (IMHO) didn't make a terrific England manager. He did make a half decent Club manager though, and I've argued on various threads on this forum that he should at least be considered for the City job. As for the Euro 2012 Championships.... just let Stuart Pearce carry on.

I would tend to base an opinion on what people who played for these guys thought. Both Graeme le Saux and Gary Neville, who were among the more intelligent members of England squads of the era, have the same view of Hoddle. Great tactical ideas, but no man management skills. Bit of a control freak and had no patience for players who couldn't do what he wanted them to, he belittled Scholes and Beckham in front of the rest of the squad for not being able to perfect a free kick routine.

Venables was, of course, the total opposite. Almost everyone who played under him for England will start off by saying what a revelation he was. Teaching them things about the game, innovative coaching methods and it's clear his motivational skills were incredible.

Having said that he got incredibly lucky in 96, we should have been beaten by Switzerland, should have been pegged back by mcallister's penalty but the ball moved in the wind and we go down the other end and gazza scores the best goal of his career, met a holland side that were at war with each other and should have been beaten by Spain. There were also plenty of pitiful performances in the lead up to the tournament.

I'm not sure in what way Glenn Hoddle's comments were any more nonsensical than any other religious nonsense, and I do think the use of the word 'bogus' applied to religions is tautology. Most religious beliefs are pretty nonsensical, and Hoddle just got clobberred because his didn't fit in with the particular set of nonsensical beliefs that are popular with many people in western Europe. However, given that no one knows if karma exists, like no one knows whether any other manifestation of organised religion exists, then I really don't see his views as any barmier or more offensive than any others. But given that karma is a basic tenet of buddhism, which is seen by many people as a rather cuddly religion, then you can't have it both ways. Glenn Hoddle's views instinctively feel bonkers to me, but then all religion seems bonkers to me.

He was a great midfielder though.

+1

Until someone proves otherwise, we can't dismiss anyones views on religions, however bonkers it may seem :-(

I would tend to base an opinion on what people who played for these guys thought. Both Graeme le Saux and Gary Neville, who were among the more intelligent members of England squads of the era, have the same view of Hoddle. Great tactical ideas, but no man management skills. Bit of a control freak and had no patience for players who couldn't do what he wanted them to, he belittled Scholes and Beckham in front of the rest of the squad for not being able to perfect a free kick routine.

Venables was, of course, the total opposite. Almost everyone who played under him for England will start off by saying what a revelation he was. Teaching them things about the game, innovative coaching methods and it's clear his motivational skills were incredible.

Having said that he got incredibly lucky in 96, we should have been beaten by Switzerland, should have been pegged back by mcallister's penalty but the ball moved in the wind and we go down the other end and gazza scores the best goal of his career, met a holland side that were at war with each other and should have been beaten by Spain. There were also plenty of pitiful performances in the lead up to the tournament.

Euro 96 was probably the last time I felt good about the England football team.

+1

Until someone proves otherwise, we can't dismiss anyones views on religions, however bonkers it may seem :-(

So if we follow your logic I can say anything racist , sexiest or homaphopic and no one can argue with me because I can say it is my religious belief.

Your sound like a sixth former who have not grown up with stupid views like that.

Euro 96 was probably the last time I felt good about the England football team.

Everything else ever since has been distinctly rubbish. That tournament was probably as good as it'll ever get for me. Only the Germany game in 2001 has ever reached those heights

The 1998 World Cup team was incredible, in fact the whole team from around that time was a fantastic one.

What strikers do we have at the moment? Wayne Rooney, Darren Bent, Jermain Defoe, Peter Crouch....

Back then we had Michael Owen, Alan Shearer, Robbie Fowler, Les Ferdinand, Andy Cole, Teddy Sheringham, Dion Dublin, so many better players all round that would walk into a current England squad tbh.

The 1998 World Cup team was incredible, in fact the whole team from around that time was a fantastic one.

What strikers do we have at the moment? Wayne Rooney, Darren Bent, Jermain Defoe, Peter Crouch....

Back then we had Michael Owen, Alan Shearer, Robbie Fowler, Les Ferdinand, Andy Cole, Teddy Sheringham, Dion Dublin, so many better players all round that would walk into a current England squad tbh.

We did have a very good squad. Shows what a ba job hoddle did

So if we follow your logic I can say anything racist , sexiest or homaphopic and no one can argue with me because I can say it is my religious belief.

Your sound like a sixth former who have not grown up with stupid views like that.

You miss my point. Of course I would encourage you to argue with the views of people like Glenn Hoddle as much as you like, but my point is that he should not be singled out any more than any other religious person with similar views or, indeed, anyone with religious views full stop. Yes, of course one instinctively feels that it is wrong to suggest that having a disability is a result of something in a previous life, but is that any more offensive than the christian church's discriminatory position on homosexuals (or indeed women, for that matter)? All religion requires a suspension of disbelief - that is, imagining the unimaginable - and Hoddle's views are similar to those held by many people around the globe. Let's face it, most religions incorporate racism, sexism and homophobia in their dogmas to a lesser or greater extent.

I don't mind if you say something sexiest though.

Archived