IGNORED

Glenn Hoddle Wants The England Job

CotswoldRed

Nothing embarrassing about the 2006 World Cup. We went out on penalties... again.

Our performances were appalling. As someone else has said we struggled through our group and even though we went out on penalties it was after a very uninspiring 0-0 draw. We were significantly better in 2002 for me.

Our performances were appalling. As someone else has said we struggled through our group and even though we went out on penalties it was after a very uninspiring 0-0 draw. We were significantly better in 2002 for me.

Although our performances were turgid and all five of our games were dull and uninspiring there is no way it can be argued that we 'struggled out our group'. We scored 7 point from 3 games and had already qualified before we played our last game. Whereas in 2002 we got 5 points from 3 games and only scored 2 goals, a corner and a penalty!

Although I would agree that in '02 we played well against Argentina, Denmark and even Brazil, in contrast in 2006 we played negative, defensive and slow football in all our games.

In 2002 we did very well to get out of the Group of Death. Didn't we lose narrowly to the eventual winners. Not too bad.

In 2006, we played poorly in all 3 group games and the 2nd round match. The only time we started giving it our all was when Rooney was sent off and we did well to make it to pens.

Hoddle won't be appointed, neither I think will Harry.

Sadly, I can see Roy Hodgson being the new England manager, one of the most over-rated managers in my opinion.

Not even Pep Guardiola would make our current England team play well; the players just don't mix.

Interesting comment!

I would argue that Pep Guardiola is probably more over rated than Hodgson.

He has inherrited arguably the best club side in the world. One that even I could probably win trophies with if I was in charge!

The fact that they are looking like not even winning their domestic league with all that they have at their disposal surely raises questions over his abilities as a manager...? Don't get me wrong, his team are immense, but I question how much of that is down to him and how much is down to the ethos of the club structure, their long standing youth set up and having many of the best players in the world on his team sheet - most of whom were not attracted to the club during his time in charge.

I would suggest that Guardiola could not really be judged purley on his on managerial ability until he has managed elsewhere, without such riches to utilise - only then would he truely be able to prove his worth.

Interesting comment!

He has inherrited arguably the best club side in the world. One that even I could probably win trophies with if I was in charge!

The fact that they are looking like not even winning their domestic league with all that they have at their disposal surely raises questions over his abilities as a manager...? Don't get me wrong, his team are immense, but I question how much of that is down to him and how much is down to the ethos of the club structure, their long standing youth set up and having many of the best players in the world on his team sheet - most of whom were not attracted to the club during his time in charge.

I would suggest that Guardiola could not really be judged purley on his on managerial ability until he has managed elsewhere, without such riches to utilise - only then would he truely be able to prove his worth.

Has to be said, I never looked at the situation like that.. and I find myself agreeing with you!

Nevertheless, Roy Hodgson is massively over-rated and alas he did well with the Europa League, doesn't change the fact that his teams are consistently mediocre. He doesn't improve clubs, (one good season with Fulham doesn't count!).

I pray that he doesn't become the Manager.

That's my opinion of course.

Should've won Euro 2004 and World Cup 2006. Decent squads for both compared to the rest of the world. 2010 we were too old, not hungry enough for success and shown up as being left behind once again by the Germans.

You are kidding, aren't you?!?!?!? Any team that relies on that lifeless pr1ck Beckham is bound to be doomed, he did nothing post-2000 once he'd won some pots with ManUre and his missus had connived to get him over to Spain to improve his earnings potential and boost her career off the back of it.

Apparently Gerrard used to go nuts with him 'cos he'd always give the ball away by trying to hit a 50-yard "Hollywood" ball (say what you like about Hoddle, but at least he COULD hit those accurately and do some damage). We had one of the most technically gifted players in Europe, who could have walked into any team in the world, and we played him on the left wing. So he jacked in international football.

Frankly, we got what we deserved.

Try reading that book "Why England lose", it's really interesting in the analysis. Fact is, we aren't that good and never have been (and please don't trot out all that 1966 sh1t, how many of us were even born then?)

Apparently Gerrard used to go nuts with him 'cos he'd always give the ball away by trying to hit a 50-yard "Hollywood" ball

Only because Gerrard wanted to play those balls himself. Watch any Liverpool game and the only time Gerrard retreats into his own half is to play a diagonal 60 yard pass to the bloke sat 3 rows back from the touchline.

Beckham's problem wasn't the hollywood pass, it was his belief that he could be a central midfielder. Remember the game against Greece where he scored the free kick in the last minute and everyone said how he single handedly responsible for england qualifying? Watch that game again. Watch how both Greece goals came down their left hand side through the gaping hole where beckham should have been shielding his full back but was busy chasing the ball across the pitch like a 9 year old, a side as limited as greece were able to just pass the ball around him.

Try reading that book "Why England lose", it's really interesting in the analysis. Fact is, we aren't that good and never have been

Kuper's analysis is excellent, great book. Also see Jonathan Wilson's "Inverting The Pyramid".

in contrast in 2006 we played negative, defensive and slow football in all our games.

You don't win tournament football by charging around at 100 mph, committing lots of players forward and going all out attack.

Organised defences are the key, you don't concede you don't lose. What you do need is the ability to absorb pressure, pull your opponents too far forward and then break quickly and expose them. Or to put it simply, the natural evolution of catenaccio that all of the top International teams have been playing for the past 30 years.

The problem for england is that they never evolved from the system that worked in 1966. When foreign managers came in, they soon found they didn't have the players at their disposal to play a style of football that would be successful in the modern sphere. But for as long as the xenophobic red tops and the mouth breathing supporters can blame a foreign manager england will never improve and they will get the team that they deserve.

What has he done/achieved to persuade you he deserves the top job?

In my lifetime we have played the best football under Glenn hoddle......and how many times have players come out, like shearer, and praised him.....quite a few.

As for venables, there is a massive difference between his achievements in a very weak euro championship, and Hoddles (with less talent) in the world cup.

Interesting comment!

Think you need to read this. It says it far better than I could. http://www.miostadium.com/opinions/simon-kuper/barcelonas-secret-soccer-success

Think you need to read this. It says it far better than I could. http://www.miostadiu...-soccer-success

Interesting article! Might be more wothwhile McInnes reading it than me!!

I would still argue that all of those things are alot easier to implement when blessed with the quality of player that he has largely inherrited and that he would really have to achieve success AFTER his time at Barcelona to really prove his managerial abilities are not purely down the being in the position of working with such players.

Archived