IGNORED

Some People Need To Open Their Eyes....

All this crap about Maynard = Judas, treated us badly, etc. What a complete and total load of bollox

Is he from Bristol...? No - so, does he owe BCFC any "special" allegiance including sacrificing his first born to the club... ?

He is a professional footballer, same as the rest of our squad. His JOB and let's be clear, apart from the lads from Bristol who support City and to whom it means more, was to play football for us.

Whilst he was here, in the strikers graveyard that is Ashton Gate, we provided him with piss poor service to the extent that he had to create probably 90% of the goals that he scored for us, on his own. Also, quite often, he was played on his own up front with the long ball and that is not his game, he is a finisher and its very easy to look poor in a team that doesn't create much in the way of chances.

Sadly for him, he's gone from one long ball team to another but I guess he reckoned his chances of making the prem were much greater there than here - time will tell...

So, he is going to get a load of stick from the children who have thrown their toys out of the pram because he took advantage of a better opportunity.

So what, thats life isn't it - if someone offered you double your salary and a chance to play in the Prem, I'm sure you would say, no actually, I'd rather stay at the bottom of the NPC and maybe get relegated...

Seriously, get a life and appreciate the mostly QUALITY goals that he scored for us and leave the kiddie name calling stuff at home, it just makes us look spolit brats.....

Football supporters are, generally, worse than a dumped teenage girl when it comes to ex-players.

The players can't win of course. Say that you won't be signing a new contract (Thorpe) and you get grief for the duration of your final year. Say that negotiations are ongoing and you get grief when you don't sign (Maynard). I suppose the way to go is the Akinbiyi route, pretend you are staying whilst engineering a move in private.

I don't have a problem with the effort Maynard put in, he is after all still our top scorer this season. Once his family started getting abuse you couldn't have faulted him if he'd pretended to get an injury, but that didn't happen.

The reason I dislike him is that he could have said last summer he had no intention of signing a new deal, no matter what deal we put on the table. If he had said that we could of circulated his name and got £4m for him plus he'd of got a move to a prem club with everyone's best wishes. The whole contract fiasco made him look greedy

If we had got a manager in who played proper football last summer, he wouldn't have gone - the writing was on the wall when Millen was left in charge...

Yeah, if only we had a manager who played proper football such as Sam Allardyce...

Maynard could've said he wanted to leave last summer, or that he had no intention of signing a new contract (which he obviously didn't). However he did none of these things. His overall play for us this season was average, going on a 10 game run with no goals and missing both of the penalties we were awarded whilst being guaranteed a start in every game regardless of how shite he was. The latter of course is not his fault but him being here created a problem. Most level-headed supporters knew he was not going to sign a deal yet he still made the team each week despite not playing particularly well. Towards the end of his tenure his performances were void of any movement and his effort appeared somewhat lacklustre. His performance against Brighton was embarrassing and Wood was practically up front alone. Since moving to West Ham he has 2 in 11, hardly an inspiring return.

Maynard will get abuse and rightly so, we are Bristol City supporters and what he did in no way supported the club, in fact it made a mockery of it. For us to welcome him back, especially following comments he's made since leaving makes no sense. It almost shows a lack of affection with the club we support. I mean the shit he made up about his family being in danger and him genuinely feeling threatened, nonsense. I hope he plays and I hope he has a shocker. A missed penalty would sum it all up, although Big Sam isn't stupid enough to let him take them.

I was a staunch supporter of Nicky Maynard during pre-season but I think he was VERY badly advised during the whole fiasco IMO.

It was obvious for whatever reason from early on in pre-season that he didn't want to sign another contract with us but must have been advised to hang in there until the summer when he could get a free transfer and a huge signing on fee.

This was bad advise IMO, as this scenario was always going to cause friction with the fans and eventually with the club, his agent didn't worry about that, he wasn't the one who had to have fans in his face every day asking why he wasn't signing again.

What NM should have done is tell the club straight out that he wasn't signing again and then everyone could have worked towards a transfer away during pre-season, if that would have happened then fans wouldn't have had a chance to give him/his family abuse (the family abuse was totally wrong even in the situation).

NM scored some of the best goals we have ever seen from a BCFC player but he went about things completely the wrong way and so will always be remembered as a judas to some.

I will be giving him as much stick as possible on tuesday as he could and should have handled the situation MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better.

BCAGFC

If we had got a manager in who played proper football last summer, he wouldn't have gone - the writing was on the wall when Millen was left in charge...

That is total crap SDA and you know it, if anything Maynard left because the lack of ambition from the top.

BCAGFC

Yeah, if only we had a manager who played proper football such as Sam Allardyce...

Maynard could've said he wanted to leave last summer, or that he had no intention of signing a new contract (which he obviously didn't). However he did none of these things. His overall play for us this season was average, going on a 10 game run with no goals and missing both of the penalties we were awarded whilst being guaranteed a start in every game regardless of how shite he was. The latter of course is not his fault but him being here created a problem. Most level-headed supporters knew he was not going to sign a deal yet he still made the team each week despite not playing particularly well. Towards the end of his tenure his performances were void of any movement and his effort appeared somewhat lacklustre. His performance against Brighton was embarrassing and Wood was practically up front alone. Since moving to West Ham he has 2 in 11, hardly an inspiring return.

Maynard will get abuse and rightly so, we are Bristol City supporters and what he did in no way supported the club, in fact it made a mockery of it. For us to welcome him back, especially following comments he's made since leaving makes no sense. It almost shows a lack of affection with the club we support. I mean the shit he made up about his family being in danger and him genuinely feeling threatened, nonsense. I hope he plays and I hope he has a shocker. A missed penalty would sum it all up, although Big Sam isn't stupid enough to let him take them.

Maynard's comments about a Bristol accent for his kid more than imply he had decided to run his contract down.

I for a long time felt that Nicky was entitled to negotiate anyway he felt fit to get the best contract possible, however I now believe he never had any intention of staying in Bristol and was prepared to take the risk of serious injury and no club at the end of the season.

The player in my opinion was disingenuous throughout the summer and remained so until it became obvious he didn't want to stay here.

My hope is WHU dont make automatic promotion and subsequently get knocked out of the play off's and with any luck at all in our attempts to stay up we will be able to see the man next season as well!!

All this crap about Maynard = Judas, treated us badly, etc. What a complete and total load of bollox

Is he from Bristol...? No - so, does he owe BCFC any "special" allegiance including sacrificing his first born to the club... ?

He is a professional footballer, same as the rest of our squad. His JOB and let's be clear, apart from the lads from Bristol who support City and to whom it means more, was to play football for us.

Whilst he was here, in the strikers graveyard that is Ashton Gate, we provided him with piss poor service to the extent that he had to create probably 90% of the goals that he scored for us, on his own. Also, quite often, he was played on his own up front with the long ball and that is not his game, he is a finisher and its very easy to look poor in a team that doesn't create much in the way of chances.

Sadly for him, he's gone from one long ball team to another but I guess he reckoned his chances of making the prem were much greater there than here - time will tell...

So, he is going to get a load of stick from the children who have thrown their toys out of the pram because he took advantage of a better opportunity.

So what, thats life isn't it - if someone offered you double your salary and a chance to play in the Prem, I'm sure you would say, no actually, I'd rather stay at the bottom of the NPC and maybe get relegated...

Seriously, get a life and appreciate the mostly QUALITY goals that he scored for us and leave the kiddie name calling stuff at home, it just makes us look spolit brats.....

I agree with your overall point but Micky is now not a Bristol city player and will take a load of abuse from me for being an opposition player. Anything to try and put him off his game.

I was a staunch supporter of Nicky Maynard during pre-season but I think he was VERY badly advised during the whole fiasco IMO.

It was obvious for whatever reason from early on in pre-season that he didn't want to sign another contract with us but must have been advised to hang in there until the summer when he could get a free transfer and a huge signing on fee.

This was bad advise IMO, as this scenario was always going to cause friction with the fans and eventually with the club, his agent didn't worry about that, he wasn't the one who had to have fans in his face every day asking why he wasn't signing again.

What NM should have done is tell the club straight out that he wasn't signing again and then everyone could have worked towards a transfer away during pre-season, if that would have happened then fans wouldn't have had a chance to give him/his family abuse (which was totally wrong even in the situation).

NM scored some of the best goals we have ever seen from a BCFC player but he went about things completely the wrong way and so will always be remembered as a judas to some.

I will be giving him as much stick as possible on tuesday as he could and should have handled the situation MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better.

BCAGFC

Allegedly still dont belive it myself.

Maynard's comments about a Bristol accent for his kid more than imply he had decided to run his contract down.

I for a long time felt that Nicky was entitled to negotiate anyway he felt fit to get the best contract possible, however I now believe he never had any intention of staying in Bristol and was prepared to take the risk of serious injury and no club at the end of the season.

The player in my opinion was disingenuous throughout the summer and remained so until it became obvious he didn't want to stay here.

My hope is WHU dont make automatic promotion and subsequently get knocked out of the play off's and with any luck at all in our attempts to stay up we will be able to see the man next season as well!!

I believe if WHU don't go up we will miss out on about £400k.

Is that you Mrs Maynard?

Mrs Maynard, is that you?

Maynard in the summer was offered a contract but didn't sign it, he then stated ' he was happy here ' and strung the club along. When he left, he said that he didn't want his son to have a bristolian accent and accused city fans of throwing bottles at his family during the Coventry game. That is why he is receiving all this abuse

If he had signed on the dotted line would he have been 'always going to sign the deal'?

The dog's abuse he got was mob mentality settling in, but the comments he made to the league paper when he went to WH were stupid.

If he had signed on the dotted line would he have been 'always going to sign the deal'?

The dog's abuse he got was mob mentality settling in, but the comments he made to the league paper when he went to WH were stupid.

Talk about twisting the knife. The manner in which he left was undesirable, the comments he made afterwards were completely unjustified and unnecessary.

The point at which I lost all respect for him was when he said he didn't want his child growing up with a Bristolian accent. So we're good enough to pay his wages for years, but you don't want him mixing with any of us in case he ends up talking like one of us.

I for one am bloody proud of my accent, and would challenge anyone who decided to mock it, which is what he basically did.

Nobody ever asked him to have a 'special allegiance' for us, but there is a massive gap between the way he behaved and the way a footballer should behave. Nobody holds it against Maynard for simply moving to a bigger club, in fact had he moved on after the season he scored all those goals, at any stage last season or even in the summer he would have received a hero's welcome anytime he came back to Ashton Gate. What we all have a problem with is his obvious desire to try and get a free transer to try and get a larger signing on fee (He basically admited that the abuse he received from the fans was one of the main reasons he decided to actually leave in January), his obvious lack of effort in a number of games this season, the fact he was repeatedly picked when he was performing terribly (not totally his fault obviously) and his comments since he has left. If he had any sort of personality I would probably have taken his Bristolian accent comments as a joke, but he doesn't , so I'm not. And as for his mum getting 'Coke bottles and that' chucked at her. Give me a break!

Hull at home, Brighton home and away, Blackpool away, Coventry away, Derby away, Crawley away... Games that just off the top of my head I remember Maynard being absolutely abysmal in. I am not one to ever really accuse players of 'not caring' or 'not trying', but what I witnessed from Maynard at Brighton is the clearest example I have ever seen of a player not caring or trying. He then adds to this by storming off because he isn't allowed to take a free kick? What an asshole.

I will be giving Maynard all the abuse he deserves on Tuesday night as he has had it coming for a long, long time. He got off relatively free while he was playing for us as none of us want to abuse a player in a red shirt no matter how much of a ride he is taking us for. To be honest I couldn't really care about him anymore, I don't like him for the way he treated this club, but he isn't particularly important Tuesday night. There is only one thing that matters and that is us making sure we are still in this division when the sun goes down on April 28th.

Archived