IGNORED

Martin Atkinson.

CityCiderEd

Haha, ball looks over the line at that angle. Brings back memories of freddie sears goal that never was at the gate. Who coinsodentely was on loan from west ham.

In what world does that look like it over the line? The whole ball has to be over the whole line, and it's clearly not.

In what world does that look like it over the line? The whole ball has to be over the whole line, and it's clearly not.

What do you mean its clearly not? it's about 95% over the line...

I reckon if the ref was laying down across the line he would still have to think about it.

Did the linesman help no

did the chelsea players go over and say it didnt go in no

do tv replys help him no

did we have the luxuary of seeing it in super slow motion 200 times yes

did the ref no

get off his back, he came out after the game and said sorry he made a mistake and Arry said that as well the ref's need help and until they get it this is going to keep happening,

the score was 5-1 by the way not 2-1

Did the linesman help no

did the chelsea players go over and say it didnt go in no

do tv replys help him no

did we have the luxuary of seeing it in super slow motion 200 times yes

did the ref no

get off his back, he came out after the game and said sorry he made a mistake and Arry said that as well the ref's need help and until they get it this is going to keep happening,

the score was 5-1 by the way not 2-1

Yeah, and England lost 4-1 to Germany not 2-1 . . . . .Did the Lampards "goal" change the game, yes?

It's the argument of idiotic people that have no clue about football, the whole 5-1 thing. Redknapp had to chuck his players forward to salvage a two goal deficit, Chelsea then were able to rip open a open defense. Which players like Lampard, Drogba etc were obviously always going to do.

If you lot think you can do a better job refereeing an fa cup semi final in font of 90000 people, then why don't you get qualified and do it? If spurs didn't let the other 4 goals in they could complain about it. Players cheat and Dive all the time, but when someone does it to your club, then everyone goes mental.

I totally understand that referees have a VERY difficult job - things happen terribly quickly - they have a tough job.

They can be forgiven for missing things or when players con them....

But what I dont get - it when they give things that never happened. Like yesterday - he has to be sure the ball crossed the line - but he could'nt have been, because it never happened!

I cant forgive a referee who give things that never happened - and its the one thing that pisses me off with refs.

Edit: I take it back on this occasion - because I have just seen a photo that shows the ball DID cross the line.

But my point still stands about referees - who see things that never happen

I think the decision Spurs will regret the most was to not bring it back for the foul on Adebayor and send Cech off. That should have been brought back for the penalty and Chelsea should have been down to 10. I don't think the game would have ended the way it did had that happened.

Atkinson had a mare.

No, the ref got that right - he played the advantage and they scored. No need to send Cech off.

I'm sure spurs would have preferred the penalty and sending off - but thats irrelevant.

I think the decision Spurs will regret the most was to not bring it back for the foul on Adebayor and send Cech off. That should have been brought back for the penalty and Chelsea should have been down to 10. I don't think the game would have ended the way it did had that happened.

Atkinson had a mare.

Why should that have been brought back for a penalty with Cech being sent off? A player should be send off if he denied the opposition a clear goalscoring opportunity.... As Bale tucked it away to make it 2-1, I don't think you can say that Cech denied Spurs anything. Had Bale not been there then maybe, but the fact is that he was and they scored.

Can't tell if this is serious. From the photo on this page, it's definitely a lot closer, but no way is the ball totally over the line.

The photo on this thread is at an angle that makes it look over the line. The goal line footage (the only angle worth looking at...) shows it DIDN'T cross the line.

But stick a cleverly selected photo in front of some and they'll believe anything.

The photo on this thread is at an angle that makes it look over the line. The goal line footage (the only angle worth looking at...) shows it DIDN'T cross the line.

But stick a cleverly selected photo in front of some and they'll believe anything.

The important thing is what angle did the ref look at and its not the goal line footage one, he's looking at the angle thats shown in this thread that makes it look like the balls crossed,

The linesman is more at fault as it should be his call to over rule the ref but again the linesman doesn't have the balls to do it and the ref gets all the stick for it,

The important thing is what angle did the ref look at and its not the goal line footage one, he's looking at the angle thats shown in this thread that makes it look like the balls crossed,

The linesman is more at fault as it should be his call to over rule the ref but again the linesman doesn't have the balls to do it and the ref gets all the stick for it,

No. The important thing is it didn't cross the line and the ref made it up. Anyone can miss something (it was impossible for the linesman to see through the players in the way) but to guess is nothing short of criminal.

If you don't see it, you don't give it. Simple as that.

No. The important thing is it didn't cross the line and the ref made it up. Anyone can miss something (it was impossible for the linesman to see through the players in the way) but to guess is nothing short of criminal.

But there is a photo, where it looks like it's over the line - so its possible that it looked over the line to him

So you make an excuse for the linesman but go and slate thre ref,

Sorry Jorden you are wrong, The lineo could of buzzed the ref and said sorry Martin I think your wrong but he didn't

How many times have you been at ashton gate seen an offside given and say thats no way offside only to see it on the tele later to see the ref's right,

The ref's get no support or help and the match suffers because of it, just look at players reaction on Twitter, alot of them said shock call but the ref's job is hard enough they need help,

Until help is given this is going to continue to happen dragging ref's through hot coals is only going to make things worse then they already are, the FA need to do something and they should ignore FiFA nad UEFA and install it off their own backs, you will then see some consistancy

while we're at it the players are also to blame how many said sorry ref that didn't go in, none same with man u and Ashley "Wind knocked me of balance" Young, his diving got man u a pen match over but he should get retrospective punishment for it like players do when a tackle goes unpunished,

Help the refs for god sake

No, the ref got that right - he played the advantage and they scored. No need to send Cech off.

I'm sure spurs would have preferred the penalty and sending off - but thats irrelevant.

Exactly. That was the correct call. A red card would have been issued to Cech if he'd have denied an obvious goal-scoring opportunity, he didn't do this as Spurs still scored!

Exactly. That was the correct call. A red card would have been issued to Cech if he'd have denied an obvious goal-scoring opportunity, he didn't do this as Spurs still scored!

I'm not sure what the exact rule is concerning "goal-scoring opportunity" but with other fouls it is the intent that matters not what actually happens. Cech intended to stop a goal-scoring opportunity so why wasn't he sent off as well as the goal being allowed to stand?

I'm not sure what the exact rule is concerning "goal-scoring opportunity" but with other fouls it is the intent that matters not what actually happens. Cech intended to stop a goal-scoring opportunity so why wasn't he sent off as well as the goal being allowed to stand?

Its only a red card if he denys a goalscoring opportunity as he didn't he rightly got a yellow,

A red card for denying a goalscoring opportunity is nothing to do with intent. Its not always a foul - when suarez got sent off at the world cup, he stopped a certain goal with his hand.

Intent is totally irrelevant - The ref got it right - he played advantage and spurs scored - Cech did not prevent a goal from being scored.

Its only a red card if he denys a goalscoring opportunity as he didn't he rightly got a yellow,

Don't believe Cech did receive a yellow. Didn't see one given at the time and there's no sign of a yellow for Cech on the BBC or in my paper today. Was surprised that he didn't get one mind. I do wonder whether the fact Atkinson failed to give a goal for QPR a few weeks back where it did cross the line had any bearing on his decision yesterday.

As others have said 'denial of an obvious goal-scoring opportunity' does not work on the basis of intent such as other fouls. Cech did not deny Spurs a goal-scoring opportunity as they scored, therefore Cech should not have been sent off making it the correct decision. Should Bale have not been on hand to tap it in then Cech would have gone and Spurs would have had a penalty.

As others have said 'denial of an obvious goal-scoring opportunity' does not work on the basis of intent such as other fouls. Cech did not deny Spurs a goal-scoring opportunity as they scored, therefore Cech should not have been sent off making it the correct decision. Should Bale have not been on hand to tap it in then Cech would have gone and Spurs would have had a penalty.

I imagine if Cech had tried to stop a goal scoring opportunity by punching Adebayor then he would have been dismissed for "violent play" (but the goal still allowed to stand). This is what confuddles me. Doesn't seem right to me.

Tottenham-Hotspur-v-Chels-008.jpg

That looks like its over the line - Lots of apologies need to be made to Martin Atkinson

it doesn't even look close to being completely over the line. The picture on the TV from the GOAL LINE proved it NEVER WENT IN. John Terry has admitted it didn't go in, the national Press has reported it wasn't over the line and the Referee has apologised for getting it wrong.

WHAT MORE PROOF DO YOU NEED?!

I imagine if Cech had tried to stop a goal scoring opportunity by punching Adebayor then he would have been dismissed for "violent play" (but the goal still allowed to stand). This is what confuddles me. Doesn't seem right to me.

In that instance as you've said it would have been considered either 'violent conduct' or 'dangerous play'. This would have been punished with a straight red card and a three match ban. In this case Cech has clearly tried to win the ball but Adebayor has simply skinned him, therefore it is a foul, nothing more nothing less. If this foul would have denied a goal-scoring opportunity it becomes a professional foul and Cech's off, it didn't so he remained. I agree with this as Cech receiving the same punishment as he would have done for punching Adebayor seems ridiculous.

Archived