IGNORED

Mackems On The Cov Forum...

Superjack

A mate of mine is a Sunderland fan and said to me tonight, " Wait until Coventry are mathematically down and then go on 'Sky Blues Talk'. It will be inundated with us Mackems taking the piss...".

The reason for this is the 'famous' game between Coventry and ourselves that condemned Sunderland to relegation from the top flight. Apparently, Sunderland fans hold no grudge against us, but rather blame Coventry and in particular a certain 'Jimmy Hill'.

Of course, they are not down yet and we are not yet safe. However, if you visit 'Sky Blues Talk' tonight you will find that the Mackem invasion has already begun, particularly on the Coventry vs Millwall match thread...

:laugh:

Oh so thats what thats about, was wondering when i visited that forum.

So, in effect, they dislike Jimmy Hill more than Coventry or they would hold a grudge against us as well.. well, of course, we all know we really did our best that day to get a draw; not as if we gave up is it? Come on!

Theres a quite insane 155 page thread about Coventry on the Sunderland forum...was reading it earlier...unexpected and odd

http://www.readytogo...630766&page=155

Unexpected and odd?

You don't mean they decided that shepherds pie is better than cottage pie.

Retards. New club to dislike. Didn't even know about this scenario in 77 or whenever it was, way before my time, damn they know how to hold a grudge.

Some very bitter comments on that forum about our club...

Pretty sure most City fans would react the same, I know I would.

to be fair we did cheat them out of a place in the top flight, thats why the kick off time rules changed the following season,

So I can understand the hate, I think they are a little softer on us because of what happend the following 4 years

We did Not cheat them. The game against Coventry (away) kicked off the same time as Sunderland away to Everton. Except that half of Bristol was still trying to get into the ground. So a delay of the kick-off on Police orders to let people into the ground. City went 2-0 down. They turned it on and came back to level at 2-2. At that time we had Coventry over a barrel as, we would ,No doubt have gone on to win the game.and relegate Coventry. But up stepped Jimmy Hill ,to Broadcast on the scoreboard that Sunderland had lost at Everton,meaning that if the game finished level then BOTH teams would be safe. Coventry then retreated into there half of the field and let us have the ball in our half. Only one gingered haired Coventry forward ran around until ,apparently he too was told to bahave himself. The game ,as a contest was well and truely over before the ref blew the final whistle,relegating Sunderland in the process. Yes,there was a connection between Hill and Dicks but untill the score of the Sunderland game was put up on the score board ,I would bet that CITY would be the team to go on to win that game,and relegate Coventry. And if we beat Barnsley ,,we will relegate Coventry,all these years later. :banana:

Theres a quite insane 155 page thread about Coventry on the Sunderland forum...was reading it earlier...unexpected and odd

http://www.readytogo...630766&page=155

Seriousy weird - those Mackems certainly know how to hold a grudge. Mind you, I was there, and next morning a Mackem workmate cut me dead and never spoke to me again.

They have the bigger gripe against Coventry because a very similar thing happened in 1997 when on the last day of the season Coventry won 2-1 at Spurs and Sunderland lost against Wimbledon. The kick off at White Hart Lane was delayed so the Coventry game continued on 15 minutes after the Sunderland game and they stayed up at Sunderland's expense.

They have the bigger gripe against Coventry because a very similar thing happened in 1997 when on the last day of the season Coventry won 2-1 at Spurs and Sunderland lost against Wimbledon. The kick off at White Hart Lane was delayed so the Coventry game continued on 15 minutes after the Sunderland game and they stayed up at Sunderland's expense.

Blimey so it happened twice?... and here we are 15 years later and although we were party to the first debacle they are clearly gonna love us if we relegate Coventry with a win at home on saturday. it all fits together nicely now. Also, one has to remember that they will be eternally grateful to us for handing them O'Neill on a plate after he flunked his IQ test down at the Gate before Del was interviewed.. you just knew then that it was a match made without any need for teardrops to explode.

Might be worth adding that in '77 the draw only saved both City and Coventry if Sunderland lost at Everton. If they got a point there, they would have been safe whatever. That is were they blew it.

Different times now- no question we would be aware of the score at another match now in real time anyway.

Archived