IGNORED

Big Club Potential

Bourne End Red

But that's all we have ever done...the only manager that has been a success at this level and above that we have employed, was Coppell, and he soon cleared off when he saw how we are run.

We keep buying players of similar quality and employ managers with little or no experience at this level.

The amount of money wasted on average players over the years is criminal.

We need a very good manager if we want to get promoted...and stay up.

Imho...if we had someone like Warnock for example and the money that Lansdown has thrown at the Club, then i believe we would be in a far better position than now.

Invest in a good manager...Simples.

Why do we have to be the training ground for inexperienced managers all the time? Tinnion, Millen now Del.

I hope you are eating humble pie next season. I'm not saying we will go up but the way Mciines has utilised the squad under massive pressure, got the best from some underachieving players and also bringing in some decent players on loan that are hungry to succeed shows a lot of promise.

I totally agree about the way we have been run over the last few years especially, the amount of money that has been wasted on poor players is amazing and although we would be in a right mess without SL's money,he has made mistakes. If it had been used wisely we would never be in this state, It has been coming for a few years in my opinion.

We got Derek in at just the right time and with more backing from Mr Lansdown i think this time we have the right man in charge.

I hope you are eating humble pie next season. I'm not saying we will go up but the way Mciines has utilised the squad under massive pressure, got the best from some underachieving players and also bringing in some decent players on loan that are hungry to succeed shows a lot of promise.

I totally agree about the way we have been run over the last few years especially, the amount of money that has been wasted on poor players is amazing and although we would be in a right mess without SL's money,he has made mistakes. If it had been used wisely we would never be in this state, It has been coming for a few years in my opinion.

We got Derek in at just the right time and with more backing from Mr Lansdown i think this time we have the right man in charge.

We wouldn't have spent so much so wouldn't be in as much debt. We would still be in league 1 though...

Exactly my point....another bloody manager learning their trade with us. Whoopy bleeding doo... What are we a training ground for aspireing managers or a serious football club trying to get to the Prem? Your observation is exactly why this Club will go nowhere fast.

But won't it be great when he learns his trade with us...goes off to a bigger club or smaller depending on how he does and we can all watch his career from afar...knowing he learnt everything with us. That's so typical of City. Look at pretty much all our managers we've had in the past. Apart from the odd one...they are all in the lower leagues.

We've honestly got a village mentality at our club...it astounds me.

Yawn. Wait until he's actually had a chance to A: do well with us or B: got us in more sh*t, before subjecting everyone to these rants. They are entirely opinionated and as you said we know nothing about the man. The OP started a reasonably positive thread and you've managed to twist it in to a rant regarding our inability to find a half decent manager (something we may have done this season which you might of realised if you weren't to busy on here bashing the team you 'support')

I'm not so sure about that.

I've been surprising how many people I've spoken to over recent times who USED to watch City, but have drifted away over the years.

You're never too old to go to football, as long as you can get out of your house, so there has to be tens of thousands who are still breathing, who have made their way down to the Gate to watch City in the past 30 or 40 years. The problem has been our abysmal record in terms of success since those 4 years in the old Division 1.

I wouldn't mind betting that with a sustained period of relative success, there could be a lot of ex-supporters coming out of the woodwork again, to say nothing of all the kids currently wearing their Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal etc, shirts.

I'm convinced we've got massive potential down here, but unfortunately we've also got an equally massively piss poor record which isn't going to encourage many people, other than the currently die hard supporters to hand over their money at the moment.

Ashton Vale could just change all that though, as the club are sure to offer incentives to get people in when it eventually opens and the secret is then to get these people hooked as long term supporters and the best way to do that is to become more successful. I can remember Reading being a consistently mediochre Division 3 and 4 club, playing at an unbelievably crap ground, but look at them now.

If they and Brighton can do it, we sure as hell can!

+2

Exactly my point....another bloody manager learning their trade with us. Whoopy bleeding doo... What are we a training ground for aspireing managers or a serious football club trying to get to the Prem? Your observation is exactly why this Club will go nowhere fast.

But won't it be great when he learns his trade with us...goes off to a bigger club or smaller depending on how he does and we can all watch his career from afar...knowing he learnt everything with us. That's so typical of City. Look at pretty much all our managers we've had in the past. Apart from the odd one...they are all in the lower leagues.

We aren't a big club though, never have been. What do you expect?

As you didn't answer my question yesterday , I will ask again , Which big name manager do you think we could have attracted after Millen was sacked?

I would also like to point out , Reading and Charlton have already acheived promotion this season with rookie managers and Swindon are on the cusp with a rookie. It's not always doomed to failure.

As you didn't answer my question yesterday , I will ask again , Which big name manager do you think we could have attracted after Millen was sacked?

I would also like to point out , Reading and Charlton have already acheived promotion this season with rookie managers and Swindon are on the cusp with a rookie. It's not always doomed to failure.

Tbh...I can't remember who was available back then.

The OP's asked whether we have big club potential. I still believe SL wants us to be just that. The Stadium and appointment of both Coppell and James were statements of intent.

People are reading me wrong. I'm quiet happy to chug along in this division, under Del and hopefully watch some entertaining football along the way.

My observation is...we have wasted loads of money on average players and made poor decisions in appointing or releasing managers. We appointed Coppell who at the time was regarded as a major coup for us. So what's to say we couldn't attract the same again?

It just seems to me that SL and certain fans want the Prem big time, but want to do it on gambles and wasted money. It's not really a recipe for success in my book.

Tbh...I can't remember who was available back then.

The OP's asked whether we have big club potential. I still believe SL wants us to be just that. The Stadium and appointment of both Coppell and James were statements of intent.

People are reading me wrong. I'm quiet happy to chug along in this division, under Del and hopefully watch some entertaining football along the way.

My observation is...we have wasted loads of money on average players and made poor decisions in appointing or releasing managers. We appointed Coppell who at the time was regarded as a major coup for us. So what's to say we couldn't attract the same again?

It just seems to me that SL and certain fans want the Prem big time, but want to do it on gambles and wasted money. It's not really a recipe for success in my book.

Every managerial appointment is a gamble , look at the chap you keep refering to , Coppell. It turns out appointing him was a huge gamble as he left after 5 minutes.

You keep saying we need an experienced or big name manager , but dont offer up any options. Dave Jones was probably the biggest name available at the time of Millen's departure ,and with the type of CV you hanker for , but as far as I know , did not apply for the job.

We're not going to attract the really big names at the moment and need to stabilise the club and get it moving forward again. The reason we could attract Coppell in the first place was because of the job Gary Johnson did in gaining promotion and raising the profile. Someone needs to do that again , and I'm confident in DMc.

Personally i think if backed we will go far with Del & Doc, they really impress me.

They have cleared out the jobs for the boys coaches and backroom staff (which everyone has been crying out for) and look like they may well keep us in this division.

I dont know what more some people want. We have a very bloated, poor squad and i think D & D have worked wonders.

Weve had terrible luck at times especially with injuries to skuse and elliott.

For me the future is very bright with Del & Doc, i just hope they are given reasonable finances to work with and trim off the relevant fat from the squad which is desperately needed

All depends on a few things i think. The stadium for one is vital,if this doesnt happen then i cant see us going much further than we are now sadly as it means we wont be able to push the boat out with wages etc and all the increased day to day revenue a new stadium brings.

Also a lot depends on SLs passion for BCFC, if this has wained slightly like some have suggested then we cant expect much in terms of investing in the playing staff.

Which means we cant expect to go much further forward.

In this day and age getting to the Prem, even if for just one season is absolutely vital for the riches that come with it.

i just hope in my lifetime i get to see it.......

Every managerial appointment is a gamble , look at the chap you keep refering to , Coppell. It turns out appointing him was a huge gamble as he left after 5 minutes.

You keep saying we need an experienced or big name manager , but dont offer up any options. Dave Jones was probably the biggest name available at the time of Millen's departure ,and with the type of CV you hanker for , but as far as I know , did not apply for the job.

We're not going to attract the really big names at the moment and need to stabilise the club and get it moving forward again. The reason we could attract Coppell in the first place was because of the job Gary Johnson did in gaining promotion and raising the profile. Someone needs to do that again , and I'm confident in DMc.

I respect your view. However Coppell didn't apply for the City job. SL went chasing him and convinced him to come here. Like i mentioned before...We have a benefactor who piles a load of money into the Club. Potential of a big following and a new stadium on the way. Surely this is attractive to any manager in this league. You don't get many better options. So why is it, do you think, managers of 'quality' aren't interested?

I respect your view. However Coppell didn't apply for the City job. SL went chasing him and convinced him to come here. Like i mentioned before...We have a benefactor who piles a load of money into the Club. Potential of a big following and a new stadium on the way. Surely this is attractive to any manager in this league. You don't get many better options. So why is it, do you think, managers of 'quality' aren't interested?

This is a very good point !!!

Why do u think Spuds ?

IMO most proven managers aren't interested in potential. They want to take over clubs who already have everything in place. Sam Allardyce is a perfect example of this. I dont believe he would have dropped to a championship club without having the assurance of plenty of money to spend. West Ham already have the big fan base and a decent stadium as well.

Alan Curbishley is another one. He was on Sky a few weeks back saying he may have to lower his sights if he wants to get back into management. I guess most of these managers dont fancy the hard work required to make an average sized club into something bigger.

If and when we get the new stadium , we will be in a better position to attract pllayers and managers. I believe in the "build it and they will come" philosophy. We have to retain (or improve on) Championship status in the mean time though.

Yes mate...I'm well aware of that. But ultimately it was mistakes made by Dicks and the board that sent us spiralling down. We call it our 'Glory years'...but it was hardly a success was it...when you look at the big picture. I loved that team of 75-78...but through rose tinted glasses me thinks.

When you look at the amount of money SL puts into the Club, more than many Chairman in this League and the potential....why is it 'Experienced managers don't touch us with a barge pole? Most managers would love to have a Chairman bank rolling the Club. So...why is it? Anyone else wondered this? I've heard various reasons banded about by previous managers...but no proof. Inteference is the one that keeps cropping up.

I don't think SL does put so much money in the club compared to many chairmen at this level. He services our debt - which is vital - but certainly this year, the money we've had for on-field investment is small by comparison to many in the league.

Once the wage bill is reduced - partly by offloading some of your mate Coppell's high-earners - we will be making minor progress towards balancing the books.

As for the mistakes that lead to the club spiralling down in the past... mistakes is one way to describe them, fraud is another. I can't go into huge details here, but believe me, I have an inside track on this.

The fact remains though, that the only time in most poster's lifetimes we played in the top tier, we did so under a manager who had not managed a club at any level. I'd settle for four seasons in the Prem and a massively expanded fanbase, wouldn't you? :)

Brighton is 50 miles from both london and portsmouth, neither are quite on their doorstep.

They are also the only league team in Sussex. That makes them a hugely attractive proposition for the local population.

Gotta disagree there.

For starters, I think you're getting your misunderstanding my point. Brighton is only 28 miles from the m25. Halfway to the m25 is crawley. Now, let's be honest, no one north out crawley is gonna be deciding to support brighton over the london clubs are they. And the same goes to the east of brighton. The swathes of land past eastbourne down towards dover would be london club supporting as well I'd imagine. The south east is dotted with a few small towns. brighton's catchment is fairly small in reality. Anyway, I digress.

Gotta disagree there.

For starters, I think you're getting your misunderstanding my point. Brighton is only 28 miles from the m25. Halfway to the m25 is crawley. Now, let's be honest, no one north out crawley is gonna be deciding to support brighton over the london clubs are they. And the same goes to the east of brighton. The swathes of land past eastbourne down towards dover would be london club supporting as well I'd imagine. The south east is dotted with a few small towns. brighton's catchment is fairly small in reality. Anyway, I digress.

Brighton is also one of the places where incomers probably outnumber the indigenous population.

That's another crimp on City's potential support. Unlike somewhere like, say, Blackburn or Sunderland, we have a growing population built on inflows from elsewhere in the UK. Those people can sometimes become fans, but they usually arrive with some other club affiliation (if they are interested in football at all).

With regard to Big Clubs in the South and West, surely Southampton is the nearest thing we've got to one? A few bad seasons, but they're on their way back to Serie A.

Draw a line on the map from Brum to London; anywhere South of that line does not exist as far as the media is concerned and therefore only fans feel their club is a Big one. I have not forgotten Cardiff, Swansea, Saints or Reading when making this statement. Similarly draw another line London - Leeds. Anywhere East of that (Ipswich. Norwich, Hull etc) doesn't exist.

I have been a city fan all my life but have lived in Cheltenham and only been attending games irregularly since about 8 months old. now i'm old enough to earn a bit of money (21) i have moved to Bristol and am attending the majority.. hoping to grab a season ticket for next season.

As someone who is keen to be a core supporter next season but up until now has been (unfortunately) a bit too much of an armchair supporter i have a few points to raise:

1. I feel the challenge is to convert those fans around the city from fans in front of a screen into fans in front of the pitch. to do this we must have a vibrant online presence. Twitter is done well. Facebook appalling. BCFC official should be posting daily and on a match day updates as goals go in but they don't. most clubs run this as a basic news service and could be tied in to twitter. its about turningn those who "like" a BC page to follow and then to attend games.
  2. I think the east/park end movements look great, if only each corner of the ground had one, i went with the missus yesterday and thought we'd try the Williams, apart from when we scored it was like watching from home. made me miss the atmosphere in the ends of the ground no end - wont be sitting there again.
  3. The Forza movement needs to be supported a lot more..Bristol is a vibrant city with graffiti and stickers everywhere you look. but bristol city should be a running theme through it as much as possible, more stickers out more flags flying - lets make it a proper subculture in the city that people see and want to be a part of. (the work the currently do is brilliant)
  4. With the current location of the gas in the league we can hugely dominate the next generation of fans, those who have no allegiance to either should be easily converted to the red. as with no strong allegiance they are a lot more susceptible to following the crowd...all the way to the gate.

I know that from this moment on i will be doing all i can to support my above points.. the question is will you?

I am sure some of you will think who the F### am i to comment, but in the 4-5 months i have been here i have noticed the above. and im sure im not the only one??

I have been a city fan all my life but have lived in Cheltenham and only been attending games irregularly since about 8 months old. now i'm old enough to earn a bit of money (21) i have moved to Bristol and am attending the majority.. hoping to grab a season ticket for next season.

As someone who is keen to be a core supporter next season but up until now has been (unfortunately) a bit too much of an armchair supporter i have a few points to raise:

1. I feel the challenge is to convert those fans around the city from fans in front of a screen into fans in front of the pitch. to do this we must have a vibrant online presence. Twitter is done well. Facebook appalling. BCFC official should be posting daily and on a match day updates as goals go in but they don't. most clubs run this as a basic news service and could be tied in to twitter. its about turningn those who "like" a BC page to follow and then to attend games.
  2. I think the east/park end movements look great, if only each corner of the ground had one, i went with the missus yesterday and thought we'd try the Williams, apart from when we scored it was like watching from home. made me miss the atmosphere in the ends of the ground no end - wont be sitting there again.
  3. The Forza movement needs to be supported a lot more..Bristol is a vibrant city with graffiti and stickers everywhere you look. but bristol city should be a running theme through it as much as possible, more stickers out more flags flying - lets make it a proper subculture in the city that people see and want to be a part of. (the work the currently do is brilliant)
  4. With the current location of the gas in the league we can hugely dominate the next generation of fans, those who have no allegiance to either should be easily converted to the red. as with no strong allegiance they are a lot more susceptible to following the crowd...all the way to the gate.

I know that from this moment on i will be doing all i can to support my above points.. the question is will you?

I am sure some of you will think who the F### am i to comment, but in the 4-5 months i have been here i have noticed the above. and im sure im not the only one??

Good points, i think the recent ticket deals have helped massively and know that some floating fans have returned due to the pricing be more reasonable which MAY sway them to return more often.

Taking advantage of rovers demise and our gulf is something also to capitalise on.

HOWEVER, sucess is the only thing that will get us as a club to grow. And that starts with 2 main things....

1) Premier League football

2) New Stadium.

These 2 things are vital if we are ever to be a big club and realise our potential IMO.

The painted Eastend could be unique. Bristol is an artistic City and these ideas could be employed to raise the clubs profile. If fans can put on events like the Three Lions flag and put "Ernie" on pubs why can't the club do similar? Bristol is a cool place, City could be marketed also as being diffrent, but also vibrant and cool.

Good points, i think the recent ticket deals have helped massively and know that some floating fans have returned due to the pricing be more reasonable which MAY sway them to return more often.

Taking advantage of rovers demise and our gulf is something also to capitalise on.

HOWEVER, sucess is the only thing that will get us as a club to grow. And that starts with 2 main things....

1) Premier League football

2) New Stadium.

These 2 things are vital if we are ever to be a big club and realise our potential IMO.

I agree about the ticket deals, and from what the players have said having a packed gate has really helped spur them on, hopefully it will continue into next season and give them the boost they need to excel. I think a new stadium is a must but an empty stadium (new or old )will do nothing to encourage them to reach the prem. Thats why fans must be not only in attendance but in spirit, ""we'll keep the red flag flying high".

by my maths: a good fan base + (luck, skill, hard work ect ect ) = prem

;) simples!

The painted Eastend could be unique. Bristol is an artistic City and these ideas could be employed to raise the clubs profile. If fans can put on events like the Three Lions flag and put "Ernie" on pubs why can't the club do similar? Bristol is a cool place, City could be marketed also as being diffrent, but also vibrant and cool.

Couldn't agree more, its about getting the 14,15,16 Year olds in and keeping them for life, that's what creates a fanbase solid as a rock. To do this city need to be "edgy" it needs a much bigger presence in the city and suburbs. potential catchment area is massive. I really this forza have it right by looking to Europe for insipartion. We need to link in with as much of the non football activities in the city and really make it OTIB! i'm unsure what ill be doing to help yet but i know it wont be just sitting about.

Couldn't agree more, its about getting the 14,15,16 Year olds in and keeping them for life, that's what creates a fanbase solid as a rock.  To do this city need to be "edgy" it needs a much bigger presence in the city and suburbs. potential catchment area is massive. I really this forza have it right by looking to Europe for insipartion. We need to link in with as much of the non football activities in the city and really make it OTIB! i'm unsure what ill be doing to help yet but i know it wont be just sitting about.

The clubs profile needs to be in faces, every major street, all around BS3. Bristol City should be screaming this is Bristol City's City not Manchester Utds or Chelsea's. The club needs to get streetwise and seen.

Spot on mate!

only thing left is to work out how, who and when? haha

Clubs abroad get fans involved in collective efforts to raise the clubs profile. City could easily mount a camapign with fans to urge people to support their local football club and make a statement that the club is of significance. Walk up to my house and it is obvious I am a City fan. Walk around Bristol City's backyard and the club can feel anonymous. That is a bit poor.

Clubs abroad get fans involved in collective efforts to raise the clubs profile. City could easily mount a camapign with fans to urge people to support their local football club and make a statement that the club is of significance. Walk up to my house and it is obvious I am a City fan. Walk around Bristol City's backyard and the club can feel anonymous. That is a bit poor.

Agreed, i thinks city do really need a push on selling themselves into the community. but both fans and the club need to take responsibility. i think there should be more fan involvement, i must admit i'm not to up on how much of an open forum there is for fan input. i would love to see a room full of people chucking ideas into the mix and networking, making plans is what will change things not waiting for others to do it. does this happen much at the moment and if so how do i get involved!?

Agreed, i thinks city do really need a push on selling themselves into the community. but both fans and the club need to take responsibility. i think there should be more fan involvement, i must admit i'm not to up on how much of an open forum there is for fan input. i would love to see a room full of people chucking ideas into the mix and networking, making plans is what will change things not waiting for others to do it. does this happen much at the moment and if so how do i get involved!?

I don't know but interestingly the Gas have set up a facebook site where fans can send the directors ideas. Rovers directors also give feedback on the fans forum.

I really don't understand that logic...he wasn't a manager at 'Brom. Maradona has won the world cup but that doesn't mean he can do it as a manager... totally different.

As for Scottish footballers...lets not even go there. If the majority can't make it down here, then how are we to prosper in the future. Scottish football is way below par.

Tbh...we know **** all about Del. He's done a job for St Johnson in the Scottish Leagues. Hardly inspireing.

Don't get me wrong...I think he's done a good job so far.

But we are talking about this Clubs potential as being a sleeping giant.

I really don't understand the logic of SL. He wants to build a new stadium and get to the prem. But wants to do it by wasting money on average players and using managers with little or no experience at this level. It doesn't add up.

Would he employ someone to run his financial businesses with no experience...a trainee so to speak?

People say give managers a chance and they have to start somewhere...yes...in the bloody lower leagues like Di Canio.

Why is it always our Club that does it? Incredible when you think about it.

Tbh...the only thing that could possibly make this club a supposed sleeping giant is the catchment area and potential support.

We have done nothing of real note in our history to make us an underachieving football Club. It's only the potential support that gives us that tag.

Yes its all very well your comments but you are not bank rolling the club are you? You want top money to be spent on the manager, then someone else wants the money spending on a creative Mid fielder, then what about the stadium? All of these areas are of vital importance in ensuring the club grows into what we know it could be, but its a case of prioritsing on where you are going to invest what money there is.

Yes its all very well your comments but you are not bank rolling the club are you? You want top money to be spent on the manager, then someone else wants the money spending on a creative Mid fielder, then what about the stadium? All of these areas are of vital importance in ensuring the club grows into what we know it could be, but its a case of prioritsing on where you are going to invest what money there is.

With respect....I think you've missed the point completely.

Over the years we've wasted so much money and gambled on so many, at this level, rookie managers.

The years keep going by and we keep making the same old mistakes.

Buying average players on top wages and employing managers with little or no experience at this level. We also hang on to them for too long. Loyalty is one thing...but imho, GJ and KM should have gone way before their sell by date.

We seem to take one step forward and two steps back.

So we've avoided relegation and Del has to sort a new team out for next season, and we judge him on that. Another gamble...

He has imho, achieved something with the poor squad we have.

Hopefully...this time the gamble will pay off and we will get some quality in over the summer.

However...lets not kid ourselves. We battled for our lives over the last dozen games. It wasn't pretty...in fact the football was dire. Barnsley are a poor side, but in the first half were all over us. We played like we were the away team and caught them on the break. We won't be able to do a season of those types of performances. The Division will be a lot harder next season.

Unless we get some real quality players in....then we are really going to struggle.

The performances Skuse put in, in the last two games...that's the type of performance we need week in week out from all players. Not just when your life depends on it.

Yeah....I sound like a miserable sod...but just saying like i see it. So pleased we stayed up...but lets not kid ourselves.

Archived