IGNORED

Lafferty..? Interests Del Boy

Ricardo 'Livi' Red

Del will tempt St Johnstons Sandanza down to the gate now that we are staying put in the Championship.

Isn't he a bit Stead like?

I think we are missing a bit of pace upfront personally. We have pretty much every type of striker covered apart from a pace merchant

From what Del has been playing he likes 2 big strikers up front - Sheridan and Sandaza (at St Johnstone) and Stead and Wood - majority of the last couple of games.

Can see him trying to sign Lafferty or Sandaza in the summer, but would prefer more pace up front.

But thats the point; several people on this thread are making definitive statements on his ability or lack there of, having probably more experience of him as an avatar on Football Manager 2012 than in the real world. I know a guy who used to have a Burnley season ticket who always thought he was a good player (though agrees he was never worth the fee Rangers paid) and I know several Gers fans who think he's good. I love debate on here about the relative merits of various players we will almost certainly not sign, but responding to positive posts about him with phrases like "he's rubbish" or "he's crap" (not aimed specifically at you Ronnabe) because your ******* hairdresser told you so it pointless. Your last sentence is perhaps the most telling though, of course he's not a "top player"; if he were, we wouldn't be getting linked with him. If we accept the need to bring in 8 or 9 new players this summer, they are not going to all be of well established quality. We have to take risks and hope they pay off. As much for is attitude as anything else, signing Lafferty would be a risk, but if it paid odd the rewards could be substantial. I personally think the difference between us this season and a play off team is a bit of a confidence and maybe 3 quality players so if we cam find that quality who knows what might happen

As has been said since, players don't need to be of poor quality to sign for us. Our player of the year has a better Premier League scoring pedigree than Lafferty had during his time at Burnley, neither being out-and-out strikers, and came to City with a half decent reputation (albeit at best tepid from Ipswich). If Del decides he's worthy of signing then as has been said, fair enough - Adebola was having a shocking time at Coventry before resurrecting his career here. But while this is just lazy paper talk there's no issue in expressing an opinion.

• Admin

As has been said since, players don't need to be of poor quality to sign for us. Our player of the year has a better Premier League scoring pedigree than Lafferty had during his time at Burnley, neither being out-and-out strikers, and came to City with a half decent reputation (albeit at best tepid from Ipswich). If Del decides he's worthy of signing then as has been said, fair enough - Adebola was having a shocking time at Coventry before resurrecting his career here. But while this is just lazy paper talk there's no issue in expressing an opinion.

I think you'll find all the negativity about Stead's signing was from City fans. The Ipswich fans, whilst admitting Jon will never be a prolific goalscorer all loved him for his work ethic. Jon Stead is one of those players that fans of other clubs will look at the stats and not think much of, but fans of his current side will love for the effort he puts in on the pitch.

I think you'll find all the negativity about Stead's signing was from City fans. The Ipswich fans, whilst admitting Jon will never be a prolific goalscorer all loved him for his work ethic. Jon Stead is one of those players that fans of other clubs will look at the stats and not think much of, but fans of his current side will love for the effort he puts in on the pitch.

Yeah good point, my bad.

Archived