IGNORED

Official Barcelona Vs Chelsea Thread

RedZepperin

English "teams" not English players.

Having spent billions on foreign players you would expect a few more wins ;)

Messi Spanish is he ?

I dont know why you have such a downer on English football Bill , not a spick are you !!

I would have to agree that we as a nation are hardly dominant in terms of winning.

However , Bill's point is that we play "caveman football". I would counter , if it's so poor how come , Arsenal , Liverpool , Chelsea and Man Utd have all reached Champions League final's in the last 8 years compared to 1 team from Spain (could be 2 after tonight) , 2 from Italy , and 1 from Germany.

This country's football is not as bad as Bill makes out.

My point is, we have won one World Cup in 82 years. The teams that represent England in Europe have 2 or 3 actual English players.

We have billions of pounds swilling around the premier league but England as a football nation is second rate.

Take away all the foreign talent in the Prem and we are left with hardly any of our own.

But still people claim we are a top footballing nation, Wakey wakey.

Barca 3 times winners, Milan twice winners, Madrid, Porto and Inter one win each. 2 English clubs 1 win each.

Europa league: 4 Spanish winners, 3 Russian winners, 2 Portugese winners and a Dutch win.

When you look at the resources available to British clubs, that's actually a pretty poor return. It's certainly a long way from dominating.

The Europa league is the equivalent to the Anglo Italian Cup to the British sides, nobody cares about it.

Go back over the last 10 years of just finalist in the champions League and you will see 6 out of 10 years has had English clubs in, and one of those years two English sides were in the final together. This year another English side will make the final, it's a terrific return if you ask me.

The Europa league is the equivalent to the Anglo Italian Cup to the British sides, nobody cares about it.

Go back over the last 10 years of just finalist in the champions League and you will see 6 out of 10 years has had English clubs in, and one of those years two English sides were in the final together. This year another English side will make the final, it's a terrific return if you ask me.

The Europa league is the combination of the old 'inter cities fairs cup/cup winners cup/uefa cup, and I think you'll find Utd and Citeh would have liked to have won it after being knocked out of the champions league. Fulham were very excited about reaching the final as were Rangers.

The Europa league is the combination of the old 'inter cities fairs cup/cup winners cup/uefa cup, and I think you'll find Utd and Citeh would have liked to have won it after being knocked out of the champions league. Fulham were very excited about reaching the final as were Rangers.

The Europa League has lost alot of credibility since it's change from the Uefa Cup. It doesn't sound like a big tournament anymore which is why it's perhaps not taking so seriously.

The Europa League has lost alot of credibility since it's change from the Uefa Cup. It doesn't sound like a big tournament anymore which is why it's perhaps not taking so seriously.

Exactly, it used to be argued it was just as difficult to win the UEFA cup as the European Cup, there were top sides in the UEFA cup, now we have the likes of Fulham, Stoke and Birmingham in it. It's a race to see who can finish outside of the Europa League place these days.

My point is, we have won one World Cup in 82 years. The teams that represent England in Europe have 2 or 3 actual English players.

We have billions of pounds swilling around the premier league but England as a football nation is second rate.

Take away all the foreign talent in the Prem and we are left with hardly any of our own.

But still people claim we are a top footballing nation, Wakey wakey.

We're talking about English club football though , not the national side. The fact there is so much money swilling around is detrimental to England , as the big clubs can take their pick of the worlds talent rather than delevoping home grown players. That doesn't take away the fact that our clubs are as strong as any in Europe. As I've already said 4 different English clubs have reached Champions League finals in the last 8 years , thats not too shabby IMO.

I think there are three problems with the europa league.

The first is that we have 2 teams in this country who have just missed out on the champions league and are thus concentrating on the league to try to avoid being in the same situation the following season.

The second is that the premier league is so weak outside of the top 6, that the other 14 clubs are in a relegation battle and with those negative thoughts to the fore, they don't need the distraction of becoming a successful club side.

The third, and I think the most important, is that they realise they haven't a hope in hell of winning the thing when faced with teams who are techincally and tactically superior that they field weakened sides in order to have an excuse when they get shown up.

I think there are three problems with the europa league.

The first is that we have 2 teams in this country who have just missed out on the champions league and are thus concentrating on the league to try to avoid being in the same situation the following season.

The second is that the premier league is so weak outside of the top 6, that the other 14 clubs are in a relegation battle and with those negative thoughts to the fore, they don't need the distraction of becoming a successful club side.

The third, and I think the most important, is that they realise they haven't a hope in hell of winning the thing when faced with teams who are techincally and tactically superior that they field weakened sides in order to have an excuse when they get shown up.

The big clubs are not interested in it, it's a worthless competition, even Rangers and Middlesbro got to a final. Tell me how many times since it has been rebranded has any top European club been interested in winning it? You only need to look at the list of recent winners to see how worthless it is as a tournament. Have you noticed how the bigger clubs try and mess up their last few games just to finish outside of the league place?

The big clubs are not interested in it, it's a worthless competition, even Rangers and Middlesbro got to a final. Tell me how many times since it has been rebranded has any top European club been interested in winning it? You only need to look at the list of recent winners to see how worthless it is as a tournament. Have you noticed how the bigger clubs try and mess up their last few games just to finish outside of the league place?

Scrap the Europa cup and brig bak the cup winners cup.

Fact is clubs lose money by being in the Europa cup. It's no wonder no one cares about it, there is no prestige to it

Great game last night- one of the classics. Had a feeling Chelsea would go through and was watching it with some mates- one of whom a Chelsea fan who kept on thinking they were doomed at 2-0 and sans Terry. I kept telling him they would prevail- and they did! Also knew Messi would miss the pen, can't put my finger on why but sometimes you can just tell these things. More praise for Chelsea- superb resilience, defence and the goals weren't bad either! On another day Barca could've scored 4 or 5 but they were wasteful- how much they perhaps miss Villa. Also, they don't get it wide enough often enough- Bayern in the final would perhaps force Di Matteo to re-evaluate tactics because they have 3 superb wide players in Robben, Ribery and Lahm so forcing out wide may not do the job necessarily. All the same congrats to Chelsea.

With regards the EL- did anyone see how schooled Man Utd got by Bilbao? To imply that they would want to go out and lose in such a manner I can't agree with. However, there may be a problem- not least because it's on a Thursday night so playing often Thursday, Sunday, Thursday, Sunday can wear a side down!

Archived