IGNORED

The Cost Of Football - Financial Fair Play

CotswoldRed

Did I hear correctly on SSN, if you get promoted to the Prem and are found to have broken these rules you get fined? - if so, as promotion's suppose to be worth £90 million, surely worth the risk?

And the fine is distributed equally between teams in the Championship that have played by the rules. Could be worth another 2m - 3m potentially per season.

BCAGFC

£30 wouldn't be so bad if there was free travel.

The transport from the mean streets of BS30 is piss poor. Peasant wagon to center, or train from Keynsham.

How much do Bundesliga or some other top European Leagues cost? Certainly in case of many BL clubs less than our matchday prices and in certain cases again, less than our ones.

I think the difference with us is alot of the money we lose a season at the moment is mainly wages which is why the out of contract players won't be retained,

But another huge part of the loss is the training ground upgrades youth devlopment and new stadium which is exempt from FFP so I don't it effects as much as people will worry,

But it will stop clubs like QPR buying the league,

My only fear is that it will create a two teir championship like it has with the prem

My only fear is that it will create a two teir championship like it has with the prem

Would that not be because one 'group' of clubs manages to attract much bigger crowds and sells more shirts? Seems a fairer reason for success.

You'd have Birmingham City with a better shout for promotion than, say, us. Fair enough. We'd have to work harder to get punters in.

Would that not be because one 'group' of clubs manages to attract much bigger crowds and sells more shirts? Seems a fairer reason for success.

You'd have Birmingham City with a better shout for promotion than, say, us. Fair enough. We'd have to work harder to get pnters in.

I think you are right. With the apathtic bristolian public, this could leave us further and further behind in the football stakes. Unlike some of the bigger clubs, who stay, or should I say a larger core support than us, Parity of big versus little should say the same, just the Anomlilies like Wigan if they were in our league that would ge shafted.

So it is almost carry on as you were, but without the harsh reality of bening in massive debt.

if we want to go further as a club, The club have to get the punters in. Knowing the Bristol Public as i do, this will never happen over a sustained period, usually a 2 or 3 year period, and when the rot sets in they all go, making hard to compete if you are in a higher league.

makes lansdown almost redundant in terms of transfers, this is where his money can really help with Stadium and Academy. This is a really good chance for us if we make the riught decisions.

I think you are right. With the apathtic bristolian public, this could leave us further and further behind in the football stakes. Unlike some of the bigger clubs, who stay, or should I say a larger core support than us, Parity of big versus little should say the same, just the Anomlilies like Wigan if they were in our league that would ge shafted.

So it is almost carry on as you were, but without the harsh reality of bening in massive debt.

if we want to go further as a club, The club have to get the punters in. Knowing the Bristol Public as i do, this will never happen over a sustained period, usually a 2 or 3 year period, and when the rot sets in they all go, making hard to compete if you are in a higher league.

makes lansdown almost redundant in terms of transfers, this is where his money can really help with Stadium and Academy. This is a really good chance for us if we make the riught decisions.

I think we are now in the realms of the unknown tbh.

I'm really not sure regardless of achievements, performances, results, entertainment, new Stadium etc...that BCFC will attract enough supporters to bankroll the Club sufficiently to gain promotion.

When the bigger Clubs visit the fans turn up. But when the attraction of the new Stadium wears off, I really don't think we will get sustained support in numbers.

Yes...we have an apathetic following...but the biggest problem we have is the continueing recession.

It really is getting bad. Families are being hit really hard. People are having food parcels FFS...It's like we are living in the 70's again.

However back then football was affordable, to a degree. It's simply out of peoples pockets these days.

Having said that...I'm sure i read somewhere that Football League gates are up for the first time in many years.

If that's the case, and Clubs are still struggling financially even with the increased revenue, it goes to show players wages are unrealistic and far too much.

The gap between the Championship and the Prem is enourmous when it comes to TV revenue. But players and Agents get used to seeing massive figures being banded about and think they can claim similar when they drop down into the Championship.

Agents and greedy players are killing our Clubs.

Player wage caps enforced by the FA is the only way forward imho.

No backhanders allowed through other means...ie employing players wife and paying extortionate amounts or personal appearance money.

There must be a way...surely?

I heard a bit about this on the radio last night. They were unclear about the parachute payments made to relegated clubs. My fear is it will give them an even bigger advantage and you will get 3 tiers in the league

1. The recently relegated clubs

2. The bigger/established championship clubs

3. The smaller championship clubs

It may become impossible to compete with those with a parachute payment.

Transfer fees will come down which is a good thing and hopefully wage demands too so we aren't shelling out 10k - 15k in the championship,

I would bring a wage cap into football not on the clubs but back to the players so the little darlings can only be paid up to 5k a week in the championship, 3k a week in league 1 1.5k a week in league

Transfer fees will come down which is a good thing and hopefully wage demands too so we aren't shelling out 10k - 15k in the championship,

I would bring a wage cap into football not on the clubs but back to the players so the little darlings can only be paid up to 5k a week in the championship, 3k a week in league 1 1.5k a week in league

As much as I think that would be a good idea, I don't think it can be done, it was demed a block of trade in the past and outlawed, so the turnover is probably the best way it is going to be enforced.

They could instigate pay grades i suppose, how the hell you would write the job description god only knows, and as these players are all contract based on contractor rates rather than Salaried, I think pay grades idea is probably dead in the water anyway.

let them demand theri huge wages, with this new turnover ruling, they will soon find themselves out of a job un less demands are lower, they you will really know who wants to play for the love of the game over those who are there for the money.

Do bonuses get included in how much is spent on contracts? That would seem the logical was to entice players to move by offering fat bonuses and signing fees if it doesn't count towards the limit

I don't know, but you'd imagine the rules are robust enough to deal with that, otherwise you'd have a bonus for turning up to training.

Given losses cannot exceed £6m and funding can't come from director loans I think this affects us as much as anyone. In view of this it would be good if the club could provide a statement on how this will affect our business plans.

Given losses cannot exceed £6m and funding can't come from director loans I think this affects us as much as anyone. In view of this it would be good if the club could provide a statement on how this will affect our business plans.

We've been reducing costs since the first 12 million loss I'd be suprised if we make above a 9 million loss next season,

alot of it has to do with the ground which is a good thing in our favour,

If the club didn't think they would meet the FL's target they wouldn't of voted in favour

We've been reducing costs since the first 12 million loss I'd be suprised if we make above a 9 million loss next season,

If the club didn't think they would meet the FL's target they wouldn't of voted in favour

yep, plus a bonus of 1.6 million ofsetting it slightly from the sale of maynard.

Does James wages appear on outgoings, or is this paid directly by Lansdown, as intimated alot on here.

James, Maynard, McAllister, Hunt must all have/are on big wages, all gone by the end of the season (Presumably), they combined must take a chunk over the overall wage bill.

Splitting the two companies for Stadium and football club should see less out goings from the footballing side also, oe is that over symplifying it?

I appreciate that, but here ends the 'up until now' approach of loans from SL. What will replace this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17841566

Apologies if that link has been posted before. I'm not sure it's going to affect us quite as badly as some think. Much of our £12 million loss was related to the stadium and to the training ground. Given that those kind of expenditures won't be counted, a good accountant like SL will just change what his cash is funding and channel more income trough the club, i.e. Concerts at AG. It's certainly a step in the right direction but I'm sure a decent accountant would be able to poke holes in it

It would have been nice if there was some kind of incentive for clubs to keep ticket prices down, i.e exempting owner-subsidised ticket prices say? That way SL can offset a reduction in ticket prices against money he puts in

Archived